Dismiss Notice
We're celebrating 10 years of BeerAdvocate magazine with $10 print subscriptions for US residents.

Subscribe now!

Help finding the love for local brews

Discussion in 'South-Atlantic' started by joakley, Dec 29, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. joakley

joakley Aug 17, 2009 North Carolina

I really love ipa's , Imperial ipa's and barleywines. Here's the low down. I want to start drinking really good examples of these from local north Carolina brewers. I have tried a few but so far nothing really speaks to me. I really don't care for any of the natty Greene offerings. The foothills hoppyum wasn't bad. So could someone make some suggestions to get me started on loving the local brews. Thanks.

beerFool28607 likes this.
  2. bryanole27

bryanole27 Jun 24, 2011 North Carolina

What do you typically 'love'? I moved from FL (CCB country) in August and I find myself impressed with the local scene in Charlotte, NC. I'm sure we can find something for you.

Give me some examples of your faves.

3. slowbie

slowbie Dec 10, 2009 North Carolina

Where in NC are you? Some of the better breweries don't distribute to the whole state. However, Olde Hickory Death By Hops is available in the entire state as far as I know, and is one of the best IPAs I've ever had. Their Imperial Stout is also very good. In fact, pretty much everything they make is very good. Big Boss Aces and Ates is a good stout (though expensive in bottles when I've seen it). Duck Rabbit's Wee Heavy, Barleywine, and Baltic Porter are all excellent, though I've had QC issues with them over the past year. Foothills Seeing Double is a good DIPA (though it is on the malty end FWIW).

There are also some very good breweries on the west side of the state, but many of them don't make it far out of the Asheville area. Pisgah and Wedge are my two favorites from over there.

4. joakley

Thanks for the replies. I am located in Greensboro. I will see if I can locate seeing double and death by hops and give them a try. I guess my best bet would be Bestway , I am going to hit them up tomorrow.

5. Bung

Bung Nov 5, 2007 Michigan
    Beer Trader

OH Irish Walker is at least worth a try for a Barleywine.

CBlack85 likes this.
  6. scifan

scifan Aug 31, 2007 North Carolina
    Beer Trader

If you kinda liked Hoppyum you'll love Jade. You can only get it at the brewery but its worth the short drive to Winston.

7. brstls4drmrs

brstls4drmrs Jan 30, 2011 North Carolina
    Subscriber Beer Trader

And it will be available in bottles soon. So keep your eyes out for that.

8. dmwcpa

dmwcpa Apr 24, 2008 North Carolina

Jade hit Raleigh this month, in kegs.

samtallica likes this.
  9. winbassett

winbassett Sep 10, 2010 North Carolina

Foothills Jade (has been on draft in Raleigh for the past month)
    Olde Hickory Death by Hops
    Big Boss High Roller IPA
    Big Boss Deuces Wild DIPA (on tap at brewery as of this week)
    Mother Earth Sisters of the Moon IPA
    Foothills Seeing Double
    NoDa Hop Drop 'n Roll
    NoDa NoDaRyeZ'd
    NoDa Pacific Reign
    Foothills Carolina Endo
    Wedge Iron Rail IPA
    Wedge 3rd Rail

jroberge1981 and Handle like this.
  10. bigherb713

bigherb713 Nov 10, 2011 Virginia

Aviator Hogwild....not sure if it's in Greensboro though. I usually get it in Durham.

11. samtallica

samtallica Jul 22, 2010 North Carolina

Charlotte as well. Very tasty.

wolfeman007 likes this.
  12. CBlack85

CBlack85 Jul 12, 2009 South Carolina
    Beer Trader

NC is not particularly well known for their IPA's, I haven't really had many that I would consider great. There are a few that are good, but none that I have encountered that are great. That being said there are alot of good stouts, porters, and a few good barleywines as well. As someone mentioned above OH Irish Walker is very good, duck rabbit barleywine is fairly good.

Bung likes this.
  13. joakley

Well I hate to say it , but I can scratch highland from the list. As much as I would love to like local ipa's I will be returning to the west coast offerings. No comparison.

14. Handle

Handle Mar 16, 2009 North Carolina

I wouldn't let one beer sway you from trying other IPAs, especially the ones Win mentioned. Personally I love Highland on the whole, but don't care much for Kashmir. This Thunderstruck Coffee Porter I'm drinking is excellent though!

15. Finatic

Finatic Jan 16, 2011 Florida

I know their distro is limited to the Asheville area but Nantahala Noon Day is a great IPA.

winbassett likes this.
  16. joakley

I guess it has alot to do with availability. At least we have Oskar blue and Sierra Nevada. Those are some awesome brews. But your right about not letting a few bad examples sway my opinion. The search continues.

17. brstls4drmrs

Subscriber Beer Trader

Going to have to 2nd the iron rail. Quite possibly my favorite from the NC breweries. Haven't had the 3rd rail yet. Guess I need to make a trip to Asheville.

jroberge1981 and winbassett like this.
  18. winbassett

Highland's Kashmir is not a West Coast IPA. It's an English-style IPA w/ predominantly English-style hops--Stryian Goldings, Mt. Hood, Fuggles, Magnum, and Willamette. Comparing apples and oranges.

hooligan74 likes this.
  19. joakley

Your right, I knew that before I tried it. It would not be fair at all to compare the two.

20. joakley

Scored a seeing double bomber yesterday. Very nice. There is hope after all. Haha!

21. VncentLIFE

VncentLIFE Feb 16, 2011 North Carolina
    Beer Trader

Hoppyum, Seeing Double, certain batches of Death by Hops are good. I like Natty Greene's Freedom IPA.

NC is more of a state for dark beers/stouts.

22. brstls4drmrs

Subscriber Beer Trader

I'm going to have to throw Libery brewery in High Point on the list for people to check out. They don't get much, if any, love on here as I believe they should. I've always enjoyed their iPas.......and their stouts & porters have been very tasty. Recently had their green card stout which was brewed with cocoa nibs and peppers. Not sure how many varieties of peppers they used but they did use a ghost pepper. Cocoa hits the tongue first and then some nice heat presses up to your chest after consumption. Good stuff!

winbassett likes this.
  23. winbassett

This doesn't make any sense. North Carolina is a state for quality-brewed beer of all styles.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • About Us

Your go-to website for beer (since 1996), publishers of BeerAdvocate magazine (since 2006) and hosts of world-class beer events (since 2003). Respect Beer.
  • BeerAdvocate Microbrew Invitational

Join us June 2-3, 2017 in Boston, Mass. for beer, cider, mead, kombucha and sake from over 70 small producers.

Learn More
  • 10 Years of BeerAdvocate Magazine

We're celebrating 10 years of BA mag with $10 print subscriptions for US residents!

Subscribe