Help with pairing

Discussion in 'Beer & Food' started by RamiroRojas, Aug 9, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RamiroRojas

RamiroRojas Initiate (0) Aug 9, 2013

Hi!

I need some tips in pairing a beer to a wedding dinner. We'll have around 70 guests and about 15 will drink beer instead of wine, and we would like to have a nice pairing.

Note: I live in Sweden, so it might not be possible to get all beers you might want to suggest, so maybe let's just talk about type of beer and special characteristics, and an example, such as:

Lager, preferably unfiltered, similar to Mohawk Unfiltered Lager

So, without further ado, here is the menu:

Starter:

Lightly smoked reindeer meat on home-made toast, with pickled chanterelle mushrooms.

Main dish:

Beer (Either porter or dark lager) and tomato braised chuck roast with a taste of smoked chili (similar to dried chipotle). Served with roasted fresh potatoes, asparagus, and a little parmesan sauce.

Dessert (still not clear, but these are the two we might have):

Rhubarb pie with crunch crumbles and custard or vanilla sauce.

or

Gingerbread cheese cake with berries compote.

Thanks in advance for your wise advise!

Sincerely,

Ramiro Rojas

2. lic217

lic217 Crusader (780) Aug 10, 2010 Connecticut
    Beer Trader

I dont know much about pairings other then my own experience, but for the starter I would do a dubbel or Oktoberfest beer. For the second dish a porter (not a batic porter or something too strong). I dont know if you get smuttynose robust porter, anchor porter, entire butt english porter, or St Peter's old style porter, but all would be good choices. For the dessert I would say an imperial stout would be fantastic.
    Good luck

3. ManforallSaisons

ManforallSaisons Disciple (385) Mar 20, 2008 Belgium

Do I read correctly that you actually are having the wedding in Sweden? I love the Nils Oscar range, can probably serve all our needs. The pils or any of the lagers for general quaffing. Something bigger and browner -- one of the stouts maybe -- would work with the rest, including dessert, and could convert a few non-beer people along the way. If some might find it too heavy with the roast, than a lighter brown ale. If you can get the smoked porter (haven't had it, myself)...

4. smakawhat

smakawhat Poo-Bah (5,933) Mar 18, 2008 Maryland
    Subscriber

For the starter, try a doppelbock for the gamey quality of the meat, your pickled side though could probably be served with something else such as a lighter pilsner. Find the happy medium between the two.

5. Chinon01

Chinon01 Initiate (0) Jan 23, 2007 Pennsylvania

CHIMAY (RED) w/ the smoked reindeer and pickled chanterelle mushrooms. I imagine that reindeer can be dry some I want to choose a beer that's low in hops and higher in malt to add richness. Also I wanted to bridge that raisin and berry taste you can get from game w/ the earthy flavor of mushrooms. I think CHIMAY (RED) does that.

For the tomato and beer braised chuck roast I'd use WHICHEVER BEER WAS USED IN THE DISH. I'd feel safe w/ that; unless the dish is a complete departure from the flavor of beer which I don't think it is.

For the dessert I'd get the booziest style I could find such as an EISBOCK or a Belgian Strong Dark Ale like GULDEN DRAAK.

ManforallSaisons likes this.
  6. bpgpitt10

bpgpitt10 Aspirant (287) May 12, 2008 District of Columbia
    Beer Trader

The first course is very tough because if you have very acidic pickled mushrooms, something like a doppelbock probably won't work. I would lean toward something along the lines of what Chinon01 said. Use a belgian style that has a strong malt to it, but uses sweetness (always good with game) to bridge to the acidic mushrooms. It's an app though so pick something with lots of bubbles to liven the palate and stay relatively light.

Chinon01 has it right here again. You can't really go wrong with using the same beer. I will say though that if it is heavy on the tomatoes, it can be a touch pair because of the high acidity. Again, need to use some sweetness to counter that. Something like an American brown ale would be nice.

The Rhubarb pie should be tangy so you have your acid there. A big stout seems like it would add some richness to it. The gingerbread sort of depends on the berries. If you really sugar them up, I think a gueuze would be great to pick up all the flavors while providing a nice balancing tartness.

7. evilcatfish

evilcatfish Defender (617) May 11, 2012 Missouri
    Beer Trader

If only 15 are drinking beer I'm surprised you are putting so much emphasis on the pairing. I say just make it a beer themed dinner and that's what everybody gets

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • About Us

Founded in Boston in 1996, BeerAdvocate (BA) is your go-to resource for beer powered by an independent community of enthusiasts and professionals dedicated to supporting and promoting better beer.

Learn More
  • Our Community

Comprised of consumers and industry professionals, many of whom started as members of this site, our community is one of the oldest, largest, and most respected beer communities online.
  • Our Events

Since 2003 we've hosted over 60 world-class beer festivals to bring awareness to independent brewers and educate attendees.
  • Our Magazine

Support uncompromising beer advocacy and award-winning, independent journalism with a print subscription to BeerAdvocate magazine.