Here’s your first look at the new Samuel Adams Boston Tap Room at Faneuil Hall

Discussion in 'US - Northeast' started by AlcahueteJ, Jan 22, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AlcahueteJ

AlcahueteJ Poo-Bah (1,979) Dec 4, 2004 Massachusetts
    Society

2. NYR-Zuuuuc

NYR-Zuuuuc Devotee (403) Jan 1, 2013 Connecticut

Was at Quincy Market on New Years Eve, Took a peek inside. Looks really nice. Will be checking it out for sure.

AlcahueteJ likes this.
  3. Singlefinpin

Singlefinpin Poo-Bah (1,812) Jul 17, 2018 North Carolina
    Society Trader

Very cool! Looks like a great addition to the neighborhood.

bruindre likes this.
  4. rousee

rousee Meyvn (1,071) Aug 13, 2004 Massachusetts
    Trader

So much for opening Summer 2019 !! Haha --anyway, anyone who lives around here knows none of these places ever seem to open on time. Its a shame it has prompted a lot of other spots in the area to stop carrying Sam products. I walk by it everyday both going to work and coming home and no doubt will try it right away. I hope I run into Jim there--he was great to us BAs when he gave us that tour of the JP brewery way back when.
    Sidebar-I do miss Houstons/Hillstones though

AlcahueteJ likes this.
  5. bruindre

bruindre Defender (642) Jun 20, 2009 Massachusetts
    Society Trader

Coulda been Tacuba...

...my Medford peeps will get it.

6. sliv

sliv Initiate (197) May 15, 2001 Massachusetts

I like that it's an R&D brewery. Always a good time when a brewer shares their experimentation. Good for them, good for the customer.

Singlefinpin and AlcahueteJ like this.
  7. rightcoast7

rightcoast7 Disciple (388) Apr 2, 2011 Maine
    Trader

Yikes, I kind of hate it. Looks like a generic, modernist chic vibe that could be in LA or something. Nothing about that design remotely says “Boston” or “Sam Adams” to me.

jesskidden likes this.
  8. oldbean

oldbean Initiate (0) Jun 30, 2005 Massachusetts

It looks like the corporate franchise strip mall version of that.

rightcoast7 likes this.
  9. AlcahueteJ

Society

What would?

Does Harpoon or Trillium say "Boston" or "Harpoon/Trillium"?

I do admit though that it does have a typical tap room design to it.

I still like it though, and it's at least one more thing in that area that I'd go to now outside of Gingerman.

10. EnronCFO

EnronCFO Defender (602) Mar 29, 2007 Massachusetts

What are we guessing on price points?

11. AlcahueteJ

Society

High.

keithmurray and oldbean like this.
  12. NYR-Zuuuuc

NYR-Zuuuuc Devotee (403) Jan 1, 2013 Connecticut

I don't know, might just be me, It's pretty hard not to think "Boston" when you are staring out the window at Faneuil Hall..

13. AirBob

AirBob Crusader (713) Jul 15, 2014 Massachusetts
    Trader

One of the pictures in the article shows a portion of the tap list with prices. Looks like the standard stuff is $7 (Brick Red, Cherry Wheat, a pilsner, etc.). KMF and an oaked porter are a bit more ($9 and $8, respectively). No detail on the pour sizes, but those prices seem pretty reasonable for the location.

AlcahueteJ likes this.
  14. oldbean

I would say the original Trillium with someone illegally parked in front of it 100% of the time was the most Boston brewery I've been to.

15. rightcoast7

rightcoast7 Disciple (388) Apr 2, 2011 Maine
    Trader

Never been to Harpoon, but I’d say the original Trillium was pretty damn Boston. I don’t know, I feel like if your entire brand identity is wrapped up in being of Boston and named after a famous Boston patriot from the 1700s, I’d maybe think about some wood paneling or historical looking shit on the walls. That looks like the lounge in any modern hotel I’ve been in.

The SN facility in Mills River is a great example of how to do this right. It’s nestled in the NC mountains and evokes the vibe of a mountain hunting lodge. I would have expected a much more classic and warm feel for a Sam Adams taproom.

meefmoff, AlcahueteJ and oldbean like this.
  16. AlcahueteJ

Society

Harpoon is more so a German beer hall than anything Boston. I really like it though.

Fair enough, I get what you're saying.

I'll be curious to see what the entire thing looks like, not just the pictures provided so far. They eluded to many different areas with different vibes among the three floors.

Also, as @NYR-Zuuuuc said, it's a very "Boston" thing to be drinking and staring out a window into Faneuil Hall. A lot of my Boston drinking memories are of being in Clarke's/McFadden's/Kitty O'Shea's pounding beers and staring out into Faneuil Hall.

You'll not only get that vibe/view on the first floor, but also the roof deck in the summers. If I'm a tourist, I don't think I'd need much more than that view, sitting right smack dab in the middle of the city with a fresh Boston Lager in hand to feel like I'm in Boston. That location is really all they needed, pretty hard to fuck it up otherwise.

meefmoff and NYR-Zuuuuc like this.
  17. oldbean

Fair point, and even among the limited photos this looks more promising:

[​IMG]

That bar is still real bad, though.

18. AlcahueteJ

Society

Ha, to be honest, I didn't like that picture. It doesn't really look that comfortable or inviting to me.

And yeah, the bar is very uninspiring looking. Looks about as generic as a bar could be.

[​IMG]

19. jesskidden

jesskidden Poo-Bah (2,532) Aug 10, 2005 New Jersey
    Society Trader

Hey, they forgot the mid-90s Samuel Adams Brew House in Philadelphia (IIRC, it was a joint venture sorta deal):
    [​IMG]

rhino88888888 and AirBob like this.
  20. matthewp

matthewp Aspirant (234) Feb 27, 2015 Massachusetts
    Trader

There also used to be a Sam Adams taproom in the Lenox hotel in the early to mid 90's. I used to go there all the time, it was a tiny little place. At the end of the day who really cares whether this is a good tap room or whether it fits in with your expectations of what it should look like. The only thing that's important is how the beer is. I highly doubt that there is going to be anything that is going to draw me to visit this place unless they make some interesting beer that can compete with other breweries in the area. I expect this place to succeed but I think it will be more about tourists than anyone who lives in the area. Its a great location for Sam Adams with all the tourists who frequent the area. My guess is that pretty soon you'll see a tap list of lots of kettle sours and various variants of beers with added fruit. Probably a bunch of seltzer too.

21. jesskidden

Society Trader

Yeah, they have (or had?) one of those in a Holiday Inn right next to the PA brewery, called it a "Brew Pub" but I imagine like that one, no actual "brewing" went on there?

Not sure if the Holiday Inn one is still there (they had "hot" bartenders and bar managers, according to the one BA review of the place).

22. matthewp

Trader

You are correct, no brewing went on there. Granted the Lenox is a bit more upscale than the Holiday Inn :slight_smile:. I seem to remember joining some sort of Sam Adam's club or something there. I just remember getting a free glass or two and maybe some sort of newsletter. This was around '93 or '94.

AlcahueteJ likes this.
  23. Purz

Purz Initiate (0) Jan 28, 2020

Yeah feels like the designer went with a generic modern bar template they had saved on their desktop and did not consider the brand at all. I expected more rugged and traditional. Or at least a modern twist on that like someone mentioned with Sierra Nevada in Asheville.

Won't stop me from visiting it but I expected more from a company that has the money to do some major theming. Especially if they did the Dogfish Head restaurants in Delaware. Those were pretty quirky, not sure if they were built by the owner before he sold the company though.

meefmoff and rightcoast7 like this.
  24. rousee

Trader

I went last night and the photos that have been posted here don't really do it justice. I thought it was beautiful inside and plenty "patriotic and Boston" looking. You people complaining about it not looking "Boston enough" (whatever the hell that means) probably don't even live here so what do you know anyway

Stormfield and AlcahueteJ like this.
  25. meefmoff

meefmoff Zealot (504) Jul 6, 2014 Massachusetts
    Trader

1. If the photos don't do it justice then the complaints based on said unjust photos would seem legitimate, no?

2. Line 3: "It's plenty 'patriotic and boston' looking"
    Line 5: "complaints about it not looking 'Boston enough' (whatever the hell that means)"

26. rousee

Trader

I'm just saying there's a tendency to want to bash everything in Boston w/o any insight especially from non-locals and it irks me. Does that clarify it better.

27. meefmoff

meefmoff Zealot (504) Jul 6, 2014 Massachusetts
    Trader

I hear ya. But I'm born and raised in Boston and those photos look to me like they could be the taproom of any brewery in any part of the country. And that's a little disappointing since Faneuil Hall is literally the place that Sam Adams did his most Sam Adam-y things back in the day. I think it would have been nice for them to lean into that a bit more, but I don't discount the fact that what they did decide to do might be quite nice in its own right.

Also, until making these last two posts I had absolutely no idea that "Faneuil" is spelled the way it is.

rightcoast7 and rousee like this.
  28. matthewp

Trader

You can't be a local, locals don't go to Faneuil hall! Locals visit Faneuil Hall, the Bunker Hill monument, the freedom trail, the Constitution, etc. when they are in elementary school on field trips and then never return again.

All joking aside looking back at the pictures it looks to me a lot like a Legal Seafood restaurant. If that's not Boston enough then what is?

29. jesskidden

Society Trader

Well, lots of Field Trip "Chaperons" could really use a beer...

bruindre, AirBob, Stormfield and 2 others like this.
  30. AlcahueteJ

Society

Yup, I always misspell it. I typically just look it up first. Too many friggin' vowels.

meefmoff likes this.
  31. LukieBL

LukieBL Initiate (104) Jun 10, 2015 Massachusetts

Fannel Hall (correct pronunciation I believe)

meefmoff likes this.
  32. matthewp

Trader

Correct from what it was meant to sound like but not how locals say it. Generally its something along the lines of:
    Fan-you-el hall (like you are saying Samuel)
    Fan-yule hall
    Fan-Yul hall

AlcahueteJ likes this.
  33. Stormfield

Stormfield Aspirant (231) Feb 21, 2011 Massachusetts

Dogfish BEGAN its existence as a brewpub long before Sam Adams had anything to do with Dogfish. Fairly sure SA has nothing to do with DF restaurants. The SA takeover was very recent.

AlcahueteJ likes this.
  34. AlcahueteJ

Society

Semi-related, but how’s the food and draft list at Salty Dog?

35. AlcahueteJ

Society

Draft list at Salty Dog is pedestrian. Food was really good as was the laid back atmosphere.

Sam Adams tap room was really nice. Will definitely be returning.

Oh and then there’s this...

[​IMG]

rightcoast7, SABERG, Sheppard and 5 others like this.
  36. EnronCFO

Whoa whoa whoa!! Do they have these at the taproom for sale?

AlcahueteJ likes this.
  37. AlcahueteJ

Society

YES!

Dreams do come true...canned backed in November.

Stormfield likes this.
  38. EnronCFO

Ran over today and grabbed some. Thanks for the tip!!

AlcahueteJ likes this.
  39. Stormfield

Stormfield Aspirant (231) Feb 21, 2011 Massachusetts

May need to stop in for a look.

AlcahueteJ likes this.
  40. OffTrail

OffTrail Initiate (98) Aug 12, 2012 Washington

Hah! That's almost worth moving back to Boston for.

AlcahueteJ likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.