Welcome to BeerAdvocate!

Looking to talk, rate or trade beer? Join today by creating your free account.

Dismiss Notice
Curious about recent updates to the site and app? Check the Announcements forum for updates.
Dismiss Notice
Love Belgian Beer?

Join us Sep 17 in Portland, Maine for Return of the Belgian Beer Fest, featuring hundreds of authentic Belgian beers and Belgian-inspired offerings.

Tickets + more: beeradvocate.com/belgian

HF Arthur

Discussion in 'Cellaring / Aging Beer' started by mikecharley, Jan 30, 2013.

1. mikecharley

Beer Trader

I had a bottle of Arthur the other day, and enjoyed it immensly. Very funky, with some lemon pepper going on, and great earthiness that all add up to a great saison. Now I have a dilemna. I have another bottle... I have had saisons similar to this that have aged great, and others that have fallen apart after 6 months to a year. Has anyone had success with aging this particular beer? Any horror stories? I would just hate to waste the potential of a great fresh beer only to pissed when I crack it in a year or two and am disappointed

2. HuskyinPDX

Beer Trader

If it tastes so great now, why wait? I say open it with some friends soon.

3. Number45forever

Beer Trader

Arthur is my favorite HF saison that didn't come from a barrel. Outside of Vera Mae anyway. I've never had any Arthur manage to stay in my house for more than a week or two before it somehow finds itself poured into a glass.

So, I suggest that if you manage to age it, you're a stronger man than I.

Sorry, that's all I have.

4. MasterCraft

I have an Arthur I'm trying to keep tucked away for a year or so, but we'll see how that goes. My guess is the tartness and funk and lemon/green apple notes will become more dominant, but there's only one way to find out.

5. HopsHopenstein

Beer Trader

I think they have started putting Arthur in barrels for a short time, as of the last couple batches. Not positive but I know the plan was to eventually make Arthur like the first batch of Art. Then future batches of Art would be aged for 12 months or more in barrels.

• About Us

Your go-to website for beer (since 1996), publishers of BeerAdvocate magazine (since 2006) and hosts of world-class beer events (since 2003). Respect Beer.
  • Return of the Belgian Beer Fest

BeerAdvocate Brings its All-Belgian Fest to Portland, Maine on September 17, 2016. Tickets are on sale now.

Learn More
  • Get the Mag

Become a BeerAdvocate magazine print subscriber today.

Subscribe