HF Ephraim

Discussion in 'US - Northeast' started by jawneyt, Sep 27, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. POTABLE83

POTABLE83 Initiate (0) Jun 21, 2012 New York

What the heck? Did they have two kegs? bartender told me Ephraim kicked

2. SpeedwayJim

SpeedwayJim Poo-Bah (3,431) Jun 19, 2009 New York
    Society Trader

I was. I was the Asian guy. I had a feeling there were fellow BA's around. Who else would run into a bar in the middle of the day on a Monday and order an Ephraim without even looking at the taplist?

3. marshmeli

marshmeli Initiate (0) Feb 14, 2012 New York

yeah i mistyped since i was on the train using my iphone, but when I left at 6:30 Ephriam WAS def still flowing... i didnt see anyone really get any glasses of it the 2nd time I was there (only for enough time to finish a glass of S&S 5)

4. benz08

benz08 Initiate (0) Nov 9, 2008 New Jersey

Yeah I ended up staying for 3 and got some food. Cool place. Wish it was closer. I will closely monitor the tap list and events though because I have Mondays off.

5. tony32408

tony32408 Initiate (49) Sep 21, 2009 Washington
    Trader

Funny I was also at Bridge View Tavern with my girlfriend tonight eating dinner from about 730 to 900. Were you at the bar? Cool place. After drinking a case of HT this Summer I never thought that I would say this, but I really do think Ephraim is as good or better than HT.

6. Quackus

Quackus Initiate (0) Mar 28, 2012 New York

Did anyone else think the Ephraim and S&S taps were flipped at RnH later in the evening tonight? Seemed like it to me, but the bartender insisted I was wrong.

7. Takeanotherswing

Takeanotherswing Initiate (123) Jan 14, 2011 New York
    Trader

That place is a joke now. Pricing is so ridiculous. Shaun shouldn't send his kegs there

Also Alewife was $9 for 12oz I believe during happy hour. It came up on the bill as that unless that was the reg price.

8. PhillyTapFinder

PhillyTapFinder Initiate (0) May 21, 2012 Pennsylvania

Ephraim is on the "up next" list at Monks. Comes on after Omnipollo Leon (but that will be thrown off if Leon does not kick before Mad Monks Monday, which will probably throw off the rotation).

9. Knifestyles

Knifestyles Initiate (0) Jun 7, 2005 New York

Yup! Was there with my girlfriend as well.....end of the bar closest to the door.

Incredible place. Had no idea it even existed....I can certainly see myself spending a lot more time there.

Owner seemed like a great dude too.

10. tony32408

tony32408 Initiate (49) Sep 21, 2009 Washington
    Trader

Anyone at Rattle have HT and Ephraim back to back? Would be curious to hear your thoughts.

11. SPRichard

SPRichard Devotee (427) Apr 26, 2008 New Jersey
    Trader

The 12oz pours of Founders Breakfast stout at R n H are an even bigger joke

12. marshmeli

Agreed FBS is really high. I was just happy to try Ephraim, I never seem to be able to make it to other bars when it is on tap.

Anyone know if it kicked last night?

13. SpeedwayJim

Society Trader

Yeah, the place is definitely a hidden gem. The owner really seems to know his stuff and is dedicated to bringing in hard to find/interesting taps for his customers.

14. Knifestyles

It definitely shows.....and the prices were incredible. $4 for a pint of Allagash Black? That's kind of a no-brainer....

15. SpeedwayJim

Society Trader

The place is a dream for someone used to NYC craft bars.

POTABLE83 and infi like this.
  16. stmgl01

stmgl01 Initiate (0) Dec 11, 2007 Pennsylvania

For Philadelphia folks, its now on tap at Devil's Den

17. BOBPINCH666

BOBPINCH666 Initiate (0) Feb 21, 2011 New York

Wow trademark RnH obnoxious pricing. I was under the impression Shaun didn't want to send his beers to them anymore? Guess Union ignored that sentiment…

While I'm certainly no fan of Blind Tiger's pricing either, $7.50/12 oz. (happy hour) was pretty spectacular.

18. maximep

maximep Initiate (0) Oct 23, 2009 New York

Yeah I did Society & Solitude 5, Ephraim, then Heady Topper. Ephraim was my pick above HT, although S&S is more suited to my taste as i didn't find it overly bitter, acidic and citrusy.

seems the only beer bar in NY that anyone's ever happy with the pricing is Pony. All the rest are complained about.

19. infi

infi Devotee (461) Apr 4, 2009 New York
    Trader

Did anyone else's tongue become numb like anesthetized-numb while drinking Ephraim? I noticed it after my first glass, but I wasn't complaining :stuck_out_tongue: Thought it was pretty cool and added to the already awesome experience.

20. Knifestyles

Took me 2 or 3, but I totally know what you mean. It felt like my teeth had been knocked out.

infi likes this.
  21. Takeanotherswing

Takeanotherswing Initiate (123) Jan 14, 2011 New York
    Trader

Brouwerij Lane in BK and Sunswick in Astoria both have fair pricing on taps as well. Both get great kegs too

mkurylko, jbuddle and gregkoko like this.
  22. TSAFEVIL

TSAFEVIL Initiate (0) May 31, 2012 Pennsylvania

meh, Ephraim is ok...bring on the Double Galaxie.

corby112 and ColForbinBC like this.
  23. TSAFEVIL

TSAFEVIL Initiate (0) May 31, 2012 Pennsylvania

no more post moderation...I'm a real boy!

FatBoyGotSwagger likes this.
  24. xenjoiii

xenjoiii Disciple (323) Jul 24, 2010 New York
    Trader

I was lucky enough to grab 2 glasses of S&S 5 and Ephraim at Rattle n Hum Tuesday Night. I feel that Ephraim and Heady are almost identical.​

25. r0nyn

r0nyn Initiate (0) Aug 1, 2009 New York

Seriously. The Pony's got the best bang for the buck in all of NYC. I've been to RnH a few times, but with the way they're charging... I don't think I'll be going back.

When I was at Bridge View on Tuesday, the bartender took a call from someone in eastern CT who was looking for Ephraim. Hope they made it out there and got some, because I held myself to two glasses. :grinning:

26. yoshida

yoshida Initiate (116) Jun 7, 2006 Pennsylvania

For Philadelphia folks, it's now kicked at Devil's Den.
    (according to @Devilsdenphilly an hour ago)

27. Franch

Franch Initiate (0) Mar 22, 2011 District of Columbia

ugh but so many 8oz pours.

28. marshmeli

Good point but at least you what the price will be.

29. benz08

benz08 Initiate (0) Nov 9, 2008 New Jersey

I gave in to temptation and indulged with 3.

30. hhkal17

hhkal17 Meyvn (1,351) Jul 10, 2005 Pennsylvania

31. hhkal17

hhkal17 Meyvn (1,351) Jul 10, 2005 Pennsylvania

Last minute appearance (hat tip to Brew Lounge) as it appears that Capone's is putting on both Ephraim and Bell's Oracle today.

32. sideshowe

sideshowe Disciple (339) Jun 20, 2008 Pennsylvania

Capone's won't be tapping Ephraim until Saturday.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.