1. Join us for Return of the Belgian Beer Fest on Sat, Sept 17 in Portland, Maine. Limited tickets still available: beeradvocate.com/belgian
    Dismiss Notice

HF Festival of Farmhouse Ales

Discussion in 'New England' started by lhteacher, May 13, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lhteacher

lhteacher Jan 20, 2013 Massachusetts

Not sure if this has been mentioned elsewhere, but Hill Farmstead has updated their events section with details about this year's festival. It looks like they have significant changes in store for ticketing, looks interesting.

2. blckout20

blckout20 May 24, 2012 Connecticut
    Beer Trader

Tickets are looking to be $100.

3. BearsOnAcid

BearsOnAcid Mar 17, 2009 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

Lol wat? Where did you hear that?

cfrances33 likes this.
  4. makdeco

makdeco Jan 31, 2007 Illinois
    Beer Trader

only 200 people should be a nice time but with 1/2 tickets being sold in person should be a better chance for locals...

5. lhteacher

lhteacher Jan 20, 2013 Massachusetts

This was the part that caught my attention. Will it be the first 25 in line? That scenario sounds fraught with unintended consequence. It says more info is coming...

6. blckout20

Beer Trader

I had emailed them a week or two ago inquiring about details and was told that the expected ticket price will be $100.

7. franklinn

franklinn May 29, 2012 Vermont

I heard it from the staff last time I was up there. It wasn't "Yeah, tickets are going to be $100 this time" but "Tickets will probably be more like $100 this time"

8. BearsOnAcid

Beer Trader

Why is it so different from previous years?

9. franklinn

Probably for the same reason Saturdays are so different from previous years. Farmhouse fest is super small, and they're going to be busting out some ridiculous stuff, I'm sure. I'd imagine a part of it is also trying to manage demand, especially seeing as both sessions for the anniversary party sold out in minutes. They might also be trying to establish a distinct difference between this one and the other parties.

All of this is speculation on my part, but those are my thoughts on it.

cfrances33 and makdeco like this.
  10. tehzachatak

tehzachatak Sep 19, 2010 Massachusetts

well, the website says "all inclusive - glass, beer, music, camping". don't they typically a. charge you for glass if you don't bring your own and b. charge you for camping? or do they not charge for camping? i have not been to a HF fest before.

11. BearsOnAcid

Beer Trader

I was thinking the same. I'm interested in hearing the final details.

12. Sejordan2

Sejordan2 Aug 16, 2011 Vermont
    Beer Trader

This is by far my favorite HF event. I am glad they have made the decision to keep it a small gathering. I just hope I am lucky enough to score a pair of tickets!

13. StylzMC

StylzMC Dec 15, 2012 Yukon (Canada)

I love that they're selling half of the tickets at the brewery. Nice job by them.

14. BeerCosmonaut

BeerCosmonaut Dec 13, 2010 Vermont

In the past you had to buy a glass if you did not come with one and camping was an optional charge. I would assume that was a logistical PITA so to simplify things they're now included in the price of ticket

15. duchessedubourg

duchessedubourg Nov 2, 2007 Vermont
    Beer Trader

Wow - that's a shock in the $$ department! But...when I think of fests that I have spent equal or even more than that, and had a much lower-quality experience, it makes it still feel worth it to me.

16. bahnfire

bahnfire Jan 17, 2011 Vermont
    Beer Trader

Yeah, at $100 per ticket they will have no problem selling all 200 of them. I also appreciate giving locals a better shot by offering some at the brewery.

17. hopspine

hopspine Feb 28, 2012 Colorado

Seems like they did a good job of listening to comments and making adjustments after the HF Anniversary ticket sales. Hope I can score a ticket though.....

18. GuisseppeFranco

GuisseppeFranco Nov 7, 2010 New York
    Beer Trader

Good thing for Collected Works. :-D

19. bahnfire

Beer Trader

I'm curious when further details are going to be available on this. Their website says tickets go on sale this Sunday (June 2nd), but no pricing or new details have been posted. Anyone in the loop know anything?

20. blckout20

Beer Trader

$100, camping, beers, and music.

What else is there?

21. bahnfire

Beer Trader

To my knowledge they haven't officially announced ticket prices. I would consider the $100 to be a rumor at this point even though I understand it to be a pretty reliable source, I'm just looking for confirmation. In regards to any other details I'd be interested in, their website says it best:

"Stay tuned for ticketing info, pricing, draft/bottle lineup, and so forth..."

I'm not looking for a minute by minute timeline of events, just the same sort of details that were posted about the 3rd anniversary party before those tickets went on sale. I am going to do my best to get my hands on a ticket even without any further info, but I'm just curious by nature.

22. JebediahScooter

JebediahScooter Sep 5, 2010 Vermont

Wondering how the new registration lottery system will work for online sales. We're moving to Vermont in early August, reeeeaaaaally hoping to score tickets. Would be a stellar first event as new residents.

23. blckout20

Beer Trader

On the website it appears dates have been pushed back...

Online lottery system tickets on sale June 9th

25 Tickets for sale at the brewery each day June 12, 13, 14, 15.

24. rozzom

rozzom Jan 22, 2011 New York
    Beer Trader

Now the dates for ticket sales have been updated to 'TBA'.

25. JebediahScooter

How does the FoFA compare to their other fests in terms of demand for tickets? It's HF, so I can only imagine that the demand is sky high. But is it as popular as say the anniversary party?

26. franklinn

Higher, or at least with the smaller amount of tickets available, demand will outweigh supply even more than usual.

27. JebediahScooter

Yeah, that's what I figured.

28. Number45forever

Number45forever Jan 6, 2012 Vermont
    Beer Trader

Tickets online will sell out in roughly 30 seconds. The best bet will be to hit the on-site ticket release, whenever that is. Sad that I can't make it to this one...this Festival will be special.

29. JebediahScooter

Website is saying that there is going to be a lottery for online ticket sales...don't know what I prefer: frantically hitting refresh until the onsale time and finding a jammed page that won't reload, or leisurely registering for a lottery and chewing my nails until the email comes through letting me know if I've won. Have had success and failures both ways in the past for various concerts and whathaveyou. Too bad I have to sell my house here before relocating to VT, or I'd be up there next week. Unfortunately, looking like its going to be more like August before the move.

30. blckout20

Beer Trader

These unannounced pushback are getting to be a bit frustrating.

31. Osyrus

Osyrus Jun 4, 2013 New York

I would anticipate the on-site tickets turning into a lottery as well.

32. franklinn

You're right, they should put a date up, then announce that they're going to push it back, and then push it back after that. In your professional opinion, how much advanced notice should they give about pushing dates back before they actually do? Two weeks notice good? A month?

33. blckout20

Beer Trader

According to the recent update, this is also the case.

34. blckout20

Beer Trader

More like some explanation for pushing the ticket sales date back twice...or is that too much to ask?

35. franklinn

Read between the lines: These days, almost everything they do is done to manage the demand vs supply issue. It's pretty obvious they've been thinking long and hard about how they're going to handle the ticketing to this event, and it's pretty likely they pushed it back to implement a new idea. As for the previous push back, I bet they didn't want to deal with that along with the pushed back bottle release

If you're so upset about the date being pushed back, don't worry about it and live your life without going to the festival. The rest of us will appreciate the higher odds of getting a ticket, and those that get one will have a blast :)

36. ILOVESTOUTS

ILOVESTOUTS Apr 13, 2006 Connecticut
    Beer Trader

I'm not clear why any explanation is owed. Hill Farmstead runs their business as they see fit, and I do not see their business model failing anytime soon.
    Create superior product, manage supply, increase demand... Profit?

As someone who took off June 5 to head up for Farmhouse Fest tix and didn't get the opportunity to buy, I'm not upset. In return, I got the opportunity to purchase 2 limited release bottles. This couldn't have been a coincident.

Best of luck with Farmhouse tix, I will be in the hunt with you.

37. StylzMC

StylzMC Dec 15, 2012 Yukon (Canada)

I'd like to see HF not say a word or give a hint about anything until they have it all figured out. Bottle release prices, dates, ticket sale days, membership numbers.. I don't think they need to tell me why they make the changes.. But how bout sticking to something for once?

Kuemmelbrau likes this.
  38. grassrootsVT

grassrootsVT May 10, 2005 Vermont

Because just when you think you have it all figured out... and the requests for "more information" become more frequent... You're right. We never stick to anything around here... especially Wednesday through Saturday 12pm to 5pm.
    Are you for hire? We're looking to hire someone to organize all of these events/releases/etc and assume responsibility for the failure and/or success ;)

39. JebediahScooter

Shaun, I think that ILOVESTOUTS represents more of the general attitude better in his above post! By the way, will volunteer for beer...

grachdar likes this.
  40. Kuemmelbrau

Kuemmelbrau Aug 2, 2008 Louisiana

Yeah, all these "day of" changes are aggravating. I'm pretty sure an event organizer should know AT LEAST one day before things are supposed to roll that they aren't going too. A good business practice would be to inform your customers.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • About Us

Your go-to website for beer (since 1996), publishers of BeerAdvocate magazine (since 2006) and hosts of world-class beer events (since 2003). Respect Beer.
  • Return of the Belgian Beer Fest

BeerAdvocate Brings its All-Belgian Fest to Portland, Maine on September 17, 2016. Tickets are on sale now.

Learn More
  • Get the Mag

Become a BeerAdvocate magazine print subscriber today.

Subscribe