Hi-Wire Announces Plans for Durham Taproom

Discussion in 'South-Atlantic' started by KRubes, Jun 25, 2018.

1. KRubes

KRubes Aspirant (269) Sep 7, 2014 North Carolina
    Trader

2. c64person

c64person Disciple (395) Mar 20, 2010 North Carolina
    Trader

Super excited to see another awesome brewery in Durham, I have really been digging a lot of Hi-Wire's sours.

3. fehrminator

fehrminator Disciple (372) Jan 26, 2008 North Carolina
    Trader

I know that I could just check reviews but anything that you guys would recommend? Never had anything from Hi Wire.

4. dbrauneis

dbrauneis Site Editor (7,497) Dec 8, 2007 North Carolina
    Premium Trader

Depends on what you like but I think they have been putting out some interesting and enjoyable sours - the apricot sour and foeder brett saison.

fehrminator, c64person and MHorridge like this.
  5. CavemanRamblin

CavemanRamblin Crusader (740) Jun 19, 2014 North Carolina
    Trader

Their sours are usually what you hear people talk about and rightfully so, but they definitely do make some solid beers in other styles too. Their recent grapefruit ipa was good and I’ve had a lager or two from them that I enjoyed also.

6. KRubes

KRubes Aspirant (269) Sep 7, 2014 North Carolina
    Trader

I can't speak to the sours, but I enjoy their Strongman Coffee Milk Stout and Hi-/Lo-Pitch IPAs.

fehrminator likes this.
  7. NoMoreBeerBelly

NoMoreBeerBelly Initiate (136) Dec 2, 2009 North Carolina

Their core beers aren't particularly great (IMHO) but their sours, one offs and seasonal's are good. Strongman Coffee Milk stout (seasonal) is fantastic.

fehrminator likes this.
  8. Miles_in_beer_city

Miles_in_beer_city Initiate (152) Jun 18, 2014 North Carolina

A group of us gather at Hi-Wire Big Top every Wednesday for $3 flagship and seasonal pints. Hi-Pitch and Lo-Pitch IPA's are solid. Gose and Doppelbock also very good.

9. c64person

c64person Disciple (395) Mar 20, 2010 North Carolina
    Trader

Not that it matters much, but Paste rated Hi-Wire's Hazy & Juicy & Hoppy & Fresh #7 out of 324 IPA's in their recent tasting. As an aside, seems NC put up a solid presence in the tasting as well!

10. Miles_in_beer_city

Miles_in_beer_city Initiate (152) Jun 18, 2014 North Carolina

That was really good. Hate that it is gone from the tap line and even from the cooler they sell canned and bottled beer to go from. I looked yesterday and was going to buy another 4 pack of 16oz cans.

11. treznor

treznor Zealot (526) Dec 20, 2006 North Carolina
    Trader

Pretty sure Tasty had a good chunk of it yesterday.

Miles_in_beer_city likes this.
  12. RDMII

RDMII Disciple (379) Apr 11, 2010 Georgia

Their Baltic porter, Enchanter, was lovely.