Dismiss Notice
Love Belgian Beer?

Join us Sep 17 in Portland, Maine for Return of the Belgian Beer Fest, featuring hundreds of authentic Belgian beers and Belgian-inspired offerings.

Tickets + more: beeradvocate.com/belgian

Highly acclaimed brews that underwhelmed you?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by tectactoe, Nov 9, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CNR76

I was actually disappointed with '12 Abyss.

Parabola, BCBS on another level compared to Abyss IMO.

2. beercanman

It was good. I'm gonna revisit it when I can. I would like to lay a couple down for a.year and see.

3. dbfp210

Nugget Nectar. I want to like it. I really do. But I keep getting a weird hairspray taste. No idea why. I love Troegs so much so if someone can make it taste better I will love you forever. :-(

RobertColianni likes this.
  4. RobertColianni

That's just how it tastes. It's a horrible beer.

5. sunkistxsudafed

Pliny The Elder. it was alright, but it didn't blow my mind at all. In fact i found it to be pretty forgettable and average. (yes, i've had it fresh)

2beerdogs and josephwa like this.
  6. JohnnyHopps

Beer Trader

I would be curious to know whether you had a bottle or on tap. I am not nearly the fan of the bottle version vs. tap. Always get it on tap at the brewpub.

And yes, I would take a dreadnaught over a ZD any day.

7. Andygirl

Hopslam. I just think it's overwhelming and unbalanced.

8. RockAZ

Beer Trader

PBR, always had a fond spot for that beer although until quite recently never drank any of it. See, when I was thirteen, a 15 year old summer romance girl at the lake said she would go all the way with me if I could bring a six pack of PBR. She, however, did live up to the hype surrounding her willingness and ability even if the PBR did not.

DanE likes this.
  9. Damian

Subscriber Beer Trader

This sounds exactly like the response I would have given to this question. Actually, I'd agree with you on Pliny if you're referring to PtE. PtY blew my mind.

10. PittBeerGirl

I just like making lists I guess. Most on the list are "decent but not awesome" aka underwhelming. Pretty much every other beer everyone else mentioned on this thread I like:D (with the exception of BL platinum and a few others)

11. BrownNut

It's a real shame what hype does. When the bar is impossibly high, mild disappointment is the best possible outcome. So after learning my lesson on that bitterly with a number of the really high profile darlings, I've started deliberately lowering expectations to the "above average" level before trying anything acclaimed. I expect to taste a well made beer that I enjoy. When that happens, expectations met. If it manages to go higher, well then I get a bit of excitement. I don't like this technique because it takes some of the fun out of it, but it prevents being repeatedly disappointed by really good beers, which is the much better road to take.

What I truly love is finding a beer I didn't know was a darling or even wasn't necessarily a darling and then getting wowed by it. That's when you know that no psychology is factoring in. I picked up a Mikkeller calvados-aged beer geek brunch weasel recently on a whim as I impulse shopped through a store in another town, even after having been really underwhelmed by the last Mikkeller I had, and promptly got blasted out of my chair by amazingness. I had heard of the weasels but knew nothing about them. What a find. That stuff was gold. That thrill of finding something of that masterful craftsmanship is what keeps me going on this neverending hunt for great beer.

12. JamesShoemaker

Beer Trader

Idk. Their BA beers just don't taste much like anything except wood to me. Just had Wookey Jack for the first time though, probably my favorite Black IPA.

13. bubseymour

Beer Trader

Sculpin. Seemed just ok, but nothing special.

Anything by Stone as well although I did like their RIS.
    Southern Tier Chokolat. Love lots of Chocolate in my stouts but both myself and friend who also likes lots of IS's had to drainpour this one. The chocolate was too overpowering and bitter dark.

14. Derranged

Northcoast Old Rasputin. Was better than FBS but still not that great.

I don't know what it is but I have had some bad luck with the past few RIS's I've had.

15. baha773

For me, the Boulevard Imperial Pilsners they've released were underwhelming and not worth the money paid imo. BUT, I also acknowledge that any pilsner just isn't a style I like.

16. Puddleduck

PLINY not worth the price the 8 dollar price versus a 3 dollar heady topper

17. clubarsky91

If pliny costs you 8 dollars, you're shopping in the wrong places

kmatlack likes this.
  18. BrewStew58

It underwhelmed you because it was overwhelming. Never had it, just thought this was funny word play.

19. Andygirl

I did find it ironic myself. ;) Describing beer I don't like isn't really in my skill set.

20. velcrowe

Beer Trader

I had Expedition for the first time last week and it was not aged. I thought it was super, super good. The consensus seems to be that this is not so great without aging, but my experience was deliciousness right away.

FBS underwhelmed me, but I will say that the overly coffee stouts are not my favorite. I'd rather have a great cup of coffee.

21. Travisurfin247

My only Fat Tire was disappointing. Maybe it was the bar's CO2 setup or it was old, but it was not great. Maybe one day I'll try it in a bottle or at a different bar.

22. Zimbo

Really? I always thought it had a mediocre rep. As for being underwelmed I gotta give you one big thumb up on that one. The Tripel is another matter...

23. jonb5

Westmalle Dubbel has a high rating on here, so I went by that and was disappointed (also happened to be my birthday the day I drank it) but can't really complain because it cost about 80 cents. As for the Tripel, I picked up a bottle on my last Belgium, not had it yet though.

Zimbo likes this.
  24. FriarTuckInLuck

Yeah, its amazing fresh. I was suggesting that instead of 6 months he wait 2 years so the age will be more noticeable. I usually start Expedition at 55 degrees, but recently I've been cracking them at room temperature. It really cuts the roasty/hop bitterness down exponentially. I just seem to prefer my stouts sweeter, hence aging. Ditto on coffee being an obtrusive flavor in stouts, but still really want to have my first FBS. Breakfast Weasel is another matter entirely. Put that stuff in my veins.

25. fullmetal1381

All the people saying Ten Fidy and Hopslam on this thread make me want to cry. Ah well, different strokes...

For me, none of the Yeti series was anything special, but Espresso Oak Aged Yeti was a different beast, in a bad way. I bought a snifter once and had to give it to a friend after two sips (coincidentally, he loved it).

26. aandresen

Beer Trader

Dislike!!!

27. WhiteJordan

Beer Trader

28. WhiteJordan

Beer Trader

I don't disagree about DFH being a disappointment on a regular basis. Often time the descriptions on the bottle sound far better than the execution. I think I've enjoyed Stone beers more often than not. As for FFF I have done all of my adult drinking in the Seattle area so I have yet to try anything.

29. Thorzdad

Fat Tire.
    It's an ok drink until that weird cocoa-ish finish hits. It's so out-of-place. I don't get the hype.

30. OUJayhawk1799

Beer Trader

Funny. The Espresso Yeti was easily my favorite of the bunch.

31. jsm1289

Beer Trader

I had a ba alpha klaus and thought it tasted like vodka and cherries which is a pretty awful taste to me. Literally did not have more than a few ounces before quitting

32. josephwa

Beer Trader

Pliny, I'll say it again Pliny!

sunkistxsudafed likes this.
  33. tectactoe

Lol. No, seriously.

34. Highbrow

Beer Trader

not sure about "highly acclaimed", but i think it is pretty well regarded, about a year back i finally tried an Old Viscosity. not sure if the lone bottle i picked up was a fluke or i'm just not a big fan. i didn't really taste anything "off" per say, just found it heavy & straight forward (not very multidimensional). given its asking price, i haven't been back to prove it's a yay or nay for me.

35. sunkistxsudafed

my guess is that you don't really like west coast IPAs then... Hopslam is good, but i'd rather have a SN Hoptimum..

36. SometimesIfart

Beer Trader

Most recently, Skull Splitter.

37. johnsaulrubio

Beer Trader

I did. 2 bottles. I drank one, and traded the other for some KBS.

38. Thirstygoat

Beer Trader

Rochefort 6 had one this weekend, I generally really enjoy dubbels, but I waivered between giving it a 3.5 or 3.75. It was the last bottle on the shelf?

39. MatthewPlus

Beer Trader

Bourbon county rare. Delicious, but i thought the other in the BC lineup, (namely coffee and vanilla) were better. Also, and as a Tampan it pains me to say it, but Hunahpu is overrated. That being said, ill still be there 6 hours early on March 9th to get my share.

luwak likes this.
  40. EyePeeAyBryan

Beer Trader

St. Bernardus 12

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • About Us

Your go-to website for beer (since 1996), publishers of BeerAdvocate magazine (since 2006) and hosts of world-class beer events (since 2003). Respect Beer.
  • Quick Navigation

Open the Quick Navigation

• Return of the Belgian Beer Fest

BeerAdvocate Brings its All-Belgian Fest to Portland, Maine on September 17, 2016. Tickets are on sale now.

Learn More
  • Get the Mag

Become a BeerAdvocate magazine print subscriber today.

Subscribe