Dismiss Notice
We're celebrating 10 years of BeerAdvocate magazine with $10 print subscriptions for US residents.

Subscribe now!

Highly acclaimed brews that underwhelmed you?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by tectactoe, Nov 9, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RattleheadKV2

RattleheadKV2 Dec 15, 2011 New Mexico

Pliny the Elder. Recently traded for some bottled 1/10/13 and while quite tasty, I can think of a good handful of DIPA's I prefer to it. Still it was a treat to drink and I enjoyed it, just way too hyped for what it is IMO.

2. CWinchell

CWinchell Aug 10, 2011 North Carolina
    Beer Trader

Wow I must have just missed you. I flew in the Thursday and had every single one of those beers. (Old Raspy at 3 Penny!
    I thought the Lawsons and Double Galaxy were amazing. But i was lucky enough to get to Waterbury on canning day so had quite a bit of Heady, which personally I think needs to sit for a few days before it really opens up.
    I had Abner at Blackback and was very underwhelmed.

3. celfan

celfan Jul 4, 2004 Vermont
    Beer Trader

this made me LOL

Brunite likes this.
  4. 2beerdogs

2beerdogs Jan 31, 2005 California
    Subscriber Beer Trader

I want that spillage!!!;)

5. SanFranJake

SanFranJake Nov 2, 2012 California
    Beer Trader

So far, FBS and Hopslam.

6. 2beerdogs

2beerdogs Jan 31, 2005 California
    Subscriber Beer Trader

EEhhhhhhh <<Buzzer sound>> "You are wrong, Sir!!!":D

kmatlack and highdesertdrinker like this.
  7. evilc

evilc Jan 27, 2012 California

Silva and Shaggy. I guess it's just me, as people want it in trade and those who have had it review it well.

ehammond1 likes this.
  8. BradStokley

BradStokley Jan 19, 2013 Maryland
    Beer Trader

Hopslam. Kinda disappointed in the 6 pack I paid $20.99 for today. So far I think Sucks and Tasmanian are both better.

KhakCane and dujayhawk like this.
  9. fujindemon74

fujindemon74 Nov 7, 2012 Pennsylvania

Either...

1) you let the hype build to proportions that no beer could live up to or...
    2) you just don't care all that much for english barleywines

Nectar likes this.
  10. themind

themind Mar 14, 2011 New Jersey

Lionshead...what a let down! I had such high hopes for this brew.

11. bankerandrew

bankerandrew May 18, 2011 California

Stone IRS below expectations? wow, i still think it is one of the best imperial russian stouts i have ever had. Stone still has some of the best beers i have tried - but there is a LOT of competition out there that bests them.

I was not too thrilled about the latest Abucus, AKA Sucuba (new name) - i loved the 2011, but 2012 just tasted too boozy - i like Parabola - my TOP 5 of all time beers - but Sucuba was just all bourbon - the point of barrel aging is to add an extra dimension of flavor, not kill the base beer entirely. Why not just drink bourbon straight?

12. bankerandrew

bankerandrew May 18, 2011 California

wow, i am guessing you just really don't care for Imperial Russian Stouts? Pretty sure that is one of the best stouts ever made, with Old Rasputin coming in 2nd.

13. BlackBelt5112203

BlackBelt5112203 Jan 2, 2012 Michigan
    Beer Trader

I actually do like English Barleywines. I just thought this tasted like biting a bourbon barrel. I really didn't enjoy it at all.

14. mmireles

mmireles May 18, 2005 Texas

Stone Vertical Epic 11.11.11
    Stone Ruination

15. 19etz55

19etz55 Aug 12, 2007 New Jersey

Great Lakes Eliot Ness and Edmund Fitzgerald, Magic Hat HIPA and Heart of Darkness, Rogue Mocha Porter, Harpoon Leviathan Barleywine, Conserdonk Abbey Brown Ale, and Duvel Golden Ale.

16. Roudy

Roudy Aug 20, 2009 Georgia
    Subscriber

Love many many IPA's. Cannot learn to like Green Flash West Coast despite several attempts.

17. jar72404

jar72404 May 31, 2009 Florida

Actually I love RIS's. But BCBS Rare, BCBS Coffee, Parabola, and KBS are all far superior to Speedway (and Rasputin). Heck, I'd take FBS, Founders RIS, any of the Yeti varieties, Bells Expedition, and BORIS, and DORIS over Speedway any day to be honest.

18. ianjmiles

ianjmiles Jan 19, 2009 Virginia

Hopslam is good, but after 2 years in a row I won't seek it out. Although, I will say the beers within my 6er seemed to vary in carbonation. Bells is way overrated IMO. Much of their lineup is overpriced and mediocre.

FBS is an odd bird, I like it fresh (although quite thin as noted). I had one sitting for 3 months and it was absolutely foul. I've also had one aged for 10 months and it was amazing, all chocolate and smooth mouthfeel.

I had BCBS and BCBCS back to back and gotta say I would take BCBS over it, price dependent. I just didn't see enough difference to warrant double the price. Cherry Rye, on the other hand...

19. Jacurdy60

Jacurdy60 Jan 23, 2013 Massachusetts

Newcastle.. The reviews of it on BA don't do it justice to how truly tasteless of a brew it is.

greg357 and highdesertdrinker like this.
  20. fujindemon74

fujindemon74 Nov 7, 2012 Pennsylvania

Sorry to hear that.

21. Horbar

Horbar Feb 24, 2012 Rhode Island

Bitches Brew, yawn....

22. mateuszekxxpl

mateuszekxxpl Oct 5, 2012 Illinois
    Beer Trader

Heady Topper. I had much better IPAs then it before.

23. mikeincharleston

mikeincharleston May 1, 2009 North Carolina
    Beer Trader

Black Tuesday. Total sugar bomb. Huge letdown

tclang likes this.
  24. dendroaspis

dendroaspis Feb 1, 2008 New Mexico

Virtually anything by Dogfish Head. Don't get me wrong, some of their brews are pretty good, great even. But I've had numerous ones (mostly their experimental ones) that quite honestly tasted like they were brewed with their namesake being the key ingredient. Yuck. And the way people talk about DFH as if it is the Mecca of craft beer just doesn't corroborate my experience with their brews.

Of course, it is all a matter of opinion and taste...my favorite brewery overall is Stone, and I've seen a lot of trashing of them on this thread.

25. dendroaspis

dendroaspis Feb 1, 2008 New Mexico

Oh, and Miller High Life...I had high expectations for "The Champaigne of Beers"! :D

SortaAmbivalent likes this.
  26. PeterJ

PeterJ Dec 5, 2012 California

Kern River Citra
    Alpine Pure Hoppiness

And to whoever said St. Bernardus, you may have had a bad bottle. I ran into a very thin infected bottle a few months back.

27. PeterJ

PeterJ Dec 5, 2012 California

Dead wrong.

28. ESeab

ESeab Jan 3, 2013 New Jersey

Agree with every word

Most recently, Black Ops. My friend was kind enough to open his bottle and share it with me (he also gave me two sips of Black Note which was amazing) Black Ops just didn't do it for me as far as BAs go. I just thought it was unbalanced and many many other BA stouts trump the hell out of this (and Black ops is soooo expensive)

29. Qwest_35

Qwest_35 Feb 4, 2013 Florida
    Beer Trader

Hopslam!!!, been reading so many great things about this beer for years now, I finally found a sixer and shelled out the 20 bucks plus tax. I was expecting a highly aromatic and hopped up flavor explosion.... In my opinion Two Hearted is a far superior IPA in the Bells line up, and it's not even a DIPA like HopSlam. I don't know if they are doing something different with this batch, but a lot of people are saying similar things about this 2013 batch, less aroma, less of a hop bomb, etc... Did I miss the boat on this brew or have I tried so many good IPA's already that my pallet has become adjusted to super hopped up beer? I can honestly name 4 or 5 other IPA's that are way more impressive. Oh well, I guess its for the best, why fall in love with a beer that comes out only once a year, and cost twice as much as my favorite year rounder's.

TheSamKuehn and theGlasstronaut like this.
  30. bismarksays

bismarksays Dec 7, 2008 Iowa

I don't get the Surly love at all. Beyond the fact that it is difficult to get, most of the beer I have had from them has ranged from "pretty good" to "meh". That being said, I have not had Wet, Darkness, or Abrasive. I will keep trying their beer when I am Minnesota or at festivals, but have always felt a bit let down by them.
    (Before anyone flames me, I have had the following by them: Furious, Tea Bagged Furious, Bender, Moe's Bender, Coffee Bender, and CynicAle)

CelticAleMan likes this.
  31. bismarksays

bismarksays Dec 7, 2008 Iowa

Btw, reading through this thread in some ways reminds me of when I was at Great Taste of the Midwest last year and I was in a group of people enjoying a pour of Bell's Blacknote. Most of us looked at each with amazement and thanked the gods for our good fortune. However, one guy took two drinks and said, "Man, what a let down. I was expecting this to be a a top 3 of all time beer and at best, it is top 10."
    One his buddies turned to him and said, "How many beers have you had in your life, man?"
    He looked at him and said, "Well, over a thousand."
    The guy was complaining about a beer that he said could very well be in the top 1% of beers he had ever had.

Most of these beers that are being mentioned simply failed to meet unrealistic expectations.

BobSmooth, trevorjk and ESeab like this.
  32. Hopportunistic

Hopportunistic Jan 24, 2013 North Carolina

I concur. I just bought a six pack of Sculpin this past weekend ($13.95 at my local package store), and while it was certainly tasty and of good quality, it didn't live up to much of the hype that I have read about it. Granted, everyone's palate is different, but I can think of dozens of other IPAs that deliver the goods for less money.

KhakCane likes this.
  33. Stinger80OH

Stinger80OH Nov 11, 2011 Ohio
    Beer Trader

I enjoy Hopslam but at 17.99/sixer I'll stick to my locals (Head Hunter/White Rajah/Commodore Perry) if I want great IPAs. Also, I tried Black Ops last night and again, not impressed especially given its price point.

JohnnyMc likes this.
  34. alucard6679

alucard6679 Jul 29, 2012 Arizona

Westy 12 for sure. I acquired some a while back, and because of all the hype I was really excited. Don't get me wrong, I really enjoyed it, and it's a top notch beer in my book, but about halfway through I realized that for less time and money I could've just gone to Total Wine and picked up some St. Bernardus 12 or Rochefort 10 and had an equal if not better experience. All that said Iam glad I got the chance to try it.

35. ThisWangsChung

ThisWangsChung Oct 15, 2011 Maryland
    Beer Trader

I'm glad Sucaba is getting some mentions here. The only thing it really has going for it is the fact it's so easy to drink for a 12.5% monster.

36. taxman

taxman Feb 22, 2012 Illinois

Utopias, bought one a few years ago, tried it. Haven't had it since. Why anyone would want to spend that much on it is beyond me. For that kind of cash, there are a lot of things i would rather have.

37. thecheapies

thecheapies Jan 11, 2009 Pennsylvania

Founders Bolt Cutter for me.

38. sketchpunx

sketchpunx Sep 4, 2008 New York

I'll go with Chimay Blue

39. AceMaster

AceMaster Jan 23, 2012 Iowa

backwoods bastard just didnt get it saving a bottle from 2012 for a year or two just waitin to see what happens

40. AceMaster

AceMaster Jan 23, 2012 Iowa

hopslam for sure theres no hops in the 2013 batchs i was hoping for a hop bomb and felt i wasted 18 bucks on a honey flavored ale

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • About Us

Your go-to website for beer (since 1996), publishers of BeerAdvocate magazine (since 2006) and hosts of world-class beer events (since 2003). Respect Beer.
  • Extreme Beer FestĀ® Cometh

February 3-4, 2017. Boston, Mass. Limited tickets available. Prepare for epicness.

Learn More
  • 10 Years of BeerAdvocate Magazine

We're celebrating 10 years of BA mag with $10 print subscriptions for US residents!

Subscribe