Highly filtered beers?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by djcreepshow, Jun 26, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. djcreepshow

djcreepshow Initiate (0) Apr 5, 2011 Canada (NS)

Hi everyone. I recently found out that the many, many kidney stones I've been getting over the past few years are probably being caused by beer. Beer (particularly ale/craft beer) have a lot of purines in them from the yeast, which causes high uric acid levels, which manifests itself as gout or uric acid kidney stones. I have heard that highly filtered lagers would be the safest ones to drink. Any suggestions on highly filtered lagers/pilseners to try? I am in Atlantic Canada so the pickings are pretty slim here. Maybe something like Stella Artois? Not great, but drinkable. Thanks, everyone! Kidney stones are brutally painful, but it would be great if I could have a beer every few months and not have give it up altogether.

2. celfan

celfan Savant (1,048) Jul 4, 2004 Vermont
    Trader

You can see right through most California beer. The ones from Vermont and Mass might finish you off though. Good luck.

VABA likes this.
  3. mudbug

mudbug Pooh-Bah (1,738) Mar 27, 2009 Oregon
    Pooh-Bah Society

First, this is the worst place ever to get medical advice but that said, your post got me interested so I spent some time over at the Mayo Clinic's site on Kidney stones and nowhere could I find that beer increases the risk of the disease, in fact it would seem that consumption of beer would help dilute the urine and perhaps have an opposite effect. So that leaves me with the impression that it's more likely that you are somehow predisposed to the condition and your somewhat unique physiology has led your doctors to determine the cause. If that's the case I'd follow their recommendations to the letter. As far as highly filtered beer goes AALs come to mind right off. Good Luck

emount91, Rhymkeeper and lester619 like this.
  4. ScaryEd

ScaryEd Grand Pooh-Bah (3,459) Feb 19, 2012 New Hampshire
    Pooh-Bah Society

Drink a beer milkshake like a man. Pass that stone and flip it off as it splashes into the toilet.

5. Scott17Taylor

Scott17Taylor Initiate (0) Oct 28, 2013 Iowa
    Trader

Everything I've heard is that hops are great for preventing stones. I wouldn't look here for medical advice here, no one here is a doctor, but I did stay at a holiday inn express last night.

DrSchnitzengiggle likes this.
  6. Invinciblejets

Invinciblejets Pooh-Bah (1,636) Sep 29, 2014 South Carolina
    Pooh-Bah Trader

Savage.

Wiffler27 likes this.
  7. MostlyNorwegian

MostlyNorwegian Pooh-Bah (1,912) Feb 5, 2013 Illinois
    Pooh-Bah Society

Not having a qualified opinion on the matter myself. I'd get a second opinion from a qualified individual and ask the question about the nature of this condition a bit differently.

8. drh88

drh88 Pundit (786) Dec 21, 2005 Pennsylvania

Try a Kristalweizen.

9. beardown2489

beardown2489 Pooh-Bah (1,892) Oct 5, 2012 Illinois
    Pooh-Bah Society

Weihenstephaner Original

djtothemoney likes this.
  10. lester619

lester619 Initiate (0) Apr 17, 2009 Wisconsin

I passed a good sized once and I wanted to die, so I can certainly understand wanting to do whatever is possible to prevent it. I know there is some correlation between kidney stones and uric acid, but I don't know if that has anything to do with how filtered the beer is. I think for the most part it's just one of those things some people are more predisposed to getting. But like many have said no one here is a doctor. In any case good luck. I know I don't want another one and I don't wish it on anyone else.

#10 lester619, Jun 26, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 26, 2016
  11. HorseheadsHophead

HorseheadsHophead Grand Pooh-Bah (3,708) Sep 15, 2014 Colorado
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

I'm not sure what American breweries are available in Nova Scotia, but if Sierra Nevada is there's always their Nooner and Summerfest pilsners. Almost any West Coast IPA would be filtered, too, so if you get Lagunitas, Sierra Nevada, Stone, Ballast Point, or Firestone Walker, you'd be set.

12. DrMindbender

DrMindbender Initiate (0) Jul 13, 2014 South Carolina

Some good and bad advice all at once...this is not a good place for medical advice (good) and that there is no correlation between beer and gout (bad advice and actually false info). I'm no doctor, but as a physiologist, I do understand this a little bit more than the average beer drinker.

You should try avoiding other foods high in purines as well (I'm sure your doctor mentioned that...you most likely have someone that truly understands physiology in Canada compared to the corrupt and clueless docs here in the US that are just out for a buck). Limiting your intake of purine rich foods like seafood, liver and sweetbreads may help enough so you can tolerate beers that aren't super filtered. I would also limit high nitrogen foods (meat, fish, potatoes, cereal, eggs, beans/legumes) if possible as they can be precursors to the body producing higher purine levels or actually have high purine levels already. Alcohol itself, even liquor or super filtered beer can contribute purines to the bloodstream and increase incidences of gout. Its good to note that beer will increase the purine levels more than 3 fold compared to drinking hard liquor and wine drinkers rarely see a large increase in purines basically at all, as long as they don't down a bottle a night. So it seems to me that your best option *GULP* is to give up beer for wine and the occasional liquor drink instead of searching for better beer options...god its hard to tell someone to give up beer! This seems like your best path to lessening your occurrence of gout/kidney stones, along with monitoring your foods, as sad as it may sound. Good luck my friend!

#12 DrMindbender, Jun 30, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 30, 2016
    JackHorzempa, drtth and mudbug like this.
  13. mudbug

mudbug Pooh-Bah (1,738) Mar 27, 2009 Oregon
    Pooh-Bah Society

Uh, seems my bad advice is exactly the same as yours. Follow the Dr's orders

tillmac62 likes this.
  14. DrMindbender

DrMindbender Initiate (0) Jul 13, 2014 South Carolina

I wasn't trying to pick on you, you were just close to the top so I hit quote. You did a little research and you didn't steer him wrong with your final analysis, that's why I just focused on your first sentence. Sorry if I came off as a douche towards you!

tillmac62 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.