Hill Farmstead 9/11 & 9/26 Bottle Release

Discussion in 'New England' started by Jason, Sep 4, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HoppyKilaMonster

HoppyKilaMonster Initiate (0) Feb 7, 2013 Pennsylvania

^ that's the number I was given^

2. InfinityonTrial

InfinityonTrial Crusader (465) Mar 31, 2012 Connecticut

Well. I suppose it's fitting that I get shut out of bottles for being so naive.

SubpoenaDeuces likes this.
  3. vermont

vermont Initiate (0) Sep 10, 2013 Vermont

Lol at the people surprised by this.

Gushue3, RKing44 and Jnorton00 like this.
  4. codysjb

codysjb Initiate (0) Jun 16, 2010 Florida
    Trader

Im not sure why. Many people judged based on past releases and thought that it wouldn't sell out day one as nothing else, ann excluded, has.

5. jbarone

jbarone Initiate (0) Jan 24, 2013 New York

No dog in this race... but if there are around 200 375ml bottles of DBD released today, we are only talking about 20 gallons of beer. Those must have been some tiny port and bourbon barrels. Who said a nano breweries couldn't survive?

Why not just silent release it? I'm just thinking about the gallons of gasoline burned for 20 gallons of brew...

kinopio and OtisCampbell like this.
  6. Auror

Auror Initiate (0) Jan 1, 2010 Massachusetts

DBD done as of a few minutes ago. Bottle line slooow. I got here 9:08, was around 50 back when DBD ran out, something like 230ish in line when counts were done.

7. juliusseizure

juliusseizure Initiate (0) Feb 11, 2009 New York

You woke up early to drive 100s of miles to get a beer and you are acting like you are in some convoluted way superior to InfinityonTrial? I actually agree with you. When I go to a release, I usually go a day early. not wanting to miss out after the drive. But, there is also an amount of self-awareness and to a smaller extent self-loathing that I would drive so much, spend on a hotel, waste time (the most expensive commodity of all) to buy a bottle of beer.

I would tone down the condescension. Enjoy your beer and stop thinking that going to a beer release is some sort of life accomplishment that everyone should aspire to.

8. BearsOnAcid

BearsOnAcid Pooh-Bah (2,153) Mar 17, 2009 Massachusetts
    Pooh-Bah

There have been beers which sold out, other than Ann, on release day. I believe Flora was one of them too.

9. nrs207

nrs207 Initiate (0) Sep 8, 2011 Pennsylvania

After 2 years in barrels I'm assuming a fair chunk evaporated. Also, 50 collected works members got them. Also friends and family of Shaun. Also Shaun saves a ton for himself, as is his right.

10. jbarone

jbarone Initiate (0) Jan 24, 2013 New York

"Double Barrel Damon: Imperial stout aged 1 year in port barrels, then 1 year in bourbon barrels - 375ml - $35 - One bottle per person"

The description does make it sound like it was multiple port barrels and multiple bourbon barrels. I'm just a little surprised only 20 gallons making it out today for the "big" release.

11. nrs207

Yes I suppose. But I sort of figured if there were even 300 bottles that'd be lucky. Any word on satsuma bottle count?

12. SupremePie

SupremePie Initiate (0) Sep 30, 2012 Vermont

Skipped a day of classes and made it there at 10:30 to get turned away.. Obviously I hold no ill will, and am no more entitled to bottles than anyone else, but I'd be lying if I said I wasn't extremely bummed, been looking forward to the Floras for ages... Can't wait till silent releases come back! Anyways I will hook someone up handsomely if they are willing to trade.

13. cfrances33

cfrances33 Initiate (0) Jun 12, 2012 Illinois

The word is 1200 bottles.... which is far more than I expected personally. There goes the trade value :stuck_out_tongue:

SupremePie likes this.
  14. sandman3479

sandman3479 Initiate (0) Dec 8, 2006 Connecticut

Got there at 8:40, 10 minutes after there were asking people to arrive, and got shutout of Double Barrel Damon

15. HighLowJack

HighLowJack Savant (1,218) Jun 5, 2013 Massachusetts
    Trader

demand forecasting is tough. they knew as well as most people here, which is to say 'not much'

16. kbhess

kbhess Initiate (0) Mar 10, 2012 New Jersey

I was told when I picked up my bottles the counts were:
    DBD - 192 today about 300 total
    Damon 300 today about 1500 total
    Flora - 300 today about 1000 total
    Satsuma mandarin - 360 today about 1000 total

17. TheBeerologist

TheBeerologist Initiate (0) Nov 20, 2011 Rhode Island

So will there be more Satsuma available after today? Possibly available through the weekend?

18. jale

jale Initiate (0) Oct 17, 2009 Michigan

That is odd, I got in line at 8:38 and 50 people behind me got bottles.

19. Trevdawg

Trevdawg Initiate (0) Feb 9, 2012 New Hampshire

172 bottles of DBD. I was 175...

I'm sure people will bitch. But I had fun and at the end of the day it's a beer.

lukemroy, brystmar, Gosox8787 and 3 others like this.
  20. InfinityonTrial

InfinityonTrial Crusader (465) Mar 31, 2012 Connecticut

Yikes. Kind of curious as to why they held back so many satsuma. Releasing bottle counts probably would have saved some people trips as well.

Live and learn. For those who did score bottles, enjoy!

MattXT likes this.
  21. huddyball

huddyball Initiate (0) Apr 3, 2013 New Hampshire
    Trader

[​IMG]

Wish I could have grabbed a growler or two, but I was done with 3 hour lines.

smo, OtisCampbell, Shmeal and 7 others like this.
  22. MattXT

MattXT Initiate (0) Nov 23, 2010 Virginia

So am I to understand that they had 300 bottles of DBD destined for retail, but decided to only sell 172 of them? Unless this is untrue, it effectively shut out nearly 130 more willing people who drove all the way up there in hopes of getting some. (...and nearly $2000 of charity money which could have been collected today) I dont have a horse in this race, since i decided weeks ago that it wasnt going to be worth the hassle anyways, but this doesnt sit well with me. I'm much more likely to go to TreeHouse and NEBCo in the future to avoid the hysteria and potential disappointment of an 8 hour car ride to not get what you came for. *gets off mini soapbox*
    Its all relative because the worst case that can come out of it is some wasted gas, HF growler fills, and enjoying the weather and foliage.

23. brownswisscow

brownswisscow Initiate (0) Feb 9, 2012 Vermont

The batch size was ~300 bottles. They sold the retail allotment today. The rest went to collected works, friends and their cellar. They do this with every limited beer they bottle, get off the high horse

24. Auror

Auror Initiate (0) Jan 1, 2010 Massachusetts

I don't think 300 was ever declared as retail bottle count of DBD. It may have been assumed based on 300 bottles of Flora and Damon being held for the release, but I never saw anything credible explicitly sayng that. About 30 people got shut out completely around 2, but I'm not sure if any waited from before 11, because that would suck.

Trevdawg likes this.
  25. brownswisscow

brownswisscow Initiate (0) Feb 9, 2012 Vermont

Should only be a few weeks until folks are tasting the hype and declaring dbd the best beer ever ala Ann :slight_smile:

GuisseppeFranco and cfrances33 like this.
  26. wdarcy77

wdarcy77 Pundit (853) Nov 27, 2008 Massachusetts

Less DBD than expected!?! Lotta blubbering man teets in Waterbury tonight.

27. Crookdrain

Crookdrain Initiate (0) Jan 13, 2010 New York

We missed out on DBD by 7 people but can't complain coming home with 3 each of Flora, Damon, Satsuma Flora, 2 cases of Sankt Hans, 3 cases of Heady, and Tree House growlers. Plus a Seizon Bretta from Hunger Mountain AND enjoying tons of HF and Lawson's on tap at Three Penny. Very successful road trip.

28. tylermains

tylermains Initiate (0) Apr 6, 2010 Kentucky

192 bottles of DB damon were supposed to be sold today. 1 box was missing a bottle. 191 bottles were sold.

29. Resuin

Resuin Pooh-Bah (2,775) Jun 18, 2012 Massachusetts
    Pooh-Bah Trader

I knew it wasn't going to be super organized going into this, and that there were risks of not getting bottles, but after being told several times by HF staff that I was well within the first 300 people in line for bottles, I was pretty disappointed to be told they were sold out of everything when I was 6 people away from the ticket table, having waited over 4 hours in line. Plenty of others were in my situation as well. Just saying it would have been nice to know we were wasting our time in line, so we could've done something else.

30. PEBKAC

PEBKAC Pooh-Bah (1,597) Sep 4, 2006 North Carolina
    Pooh-Bah Trader

4 hours in line? Insane. Even if exaggerated, I've never heard of a bottle release anywhere near that slow.

Leave the bottles to the locals.

InspectorBob likes this.
  31. atdunn9

atdunn9 Initiate (0) Feb 13, 2013 Massachusetts
    Deactivated

I was right there with you. At least for future releases it'll be an online ticketing system so you know way ahead of time if you will have any bottles or not, regardless what time you show up that day.

32. nrs207

No Satsuma either? This 1,000 bottle count talk makes me wonder why they wouldn't have sold you that.

33. nrs207

Took me about 10 minutes to get bottles after they started selling them. I was around 30th. It wasn't slow once the release started. I waited in line from 830-1120 or so (bc it started late), but the actual line doesn't move slowly. The growler line on the other hand...

34. Sean802

Sean802 Initiate (0) Jul 14, 2013 Vermont

I wouldn't make assumptions from one post... Plus everyone is citing a different DBD count..

35. nrs207

He mentioned that once that I saw months ago. More recently I've heard nothing of the sort. Evidence of this vs silent releases that he's suggested more recently?

36. nrs207

The guy giving out bottles said 192. And regardless, they're all within about 20 bottles with most people suggesting 180-192.

37. BibsBrewing

BibsBrewing Initiate (0) Dec 18, 2012 Connecticut
    Trader

My friends and I got there at 10:15 and unfortunately struck out. Bummer, but its our fault for not getting there two and a half hours before the scheduled release I guess. The wait would certainly have been worth it for just a bottle or two, but what can you do. Susan is helping to heal the pain.

lukemroy likes this.
  38. Osyrus

Osyrus Initiate (0) Jun 4, 2013 New York

I mentioned I was happy he was going back to silent releases for the crew's sake when I paid and Shaun said that he had reconsidered and wanted to do the ticketed releases instead.

39. Resuin

Resuin Pooh-Bah (2,775) Jun 18, 2012 Massachusetts
    Pooh-Bah Trader

No, left empty-handed unfortunately. Shaun told us that they served 302 people and that was all they had.

40. BGsWo22

BGsWo22 Maven (1,480) Sep 21, 2012 Texas

Has anyone done the unthinkable and drank any of the bottles purchased today. I like many arrived to late for bottles but was told that in the parking lot so was able to save time. Guess bein responsible and brining my child to school before driving 4 hours for a bottle release was a bad idea.

What exactly is a ticketed release?

MattXT likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.