Hill Farmstead Growler Fills

Discussion in 'New England' started by parkingphi, Mar 18, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. parkingphi

parkingphi Initiate (66) Dec 2, 2008 New York
    Beer Trader

Does anyone know what happens at 5PM and people are still in line for growler fills?

2. BeerCosmonaut

BeerCosmonaut Initiate (0) Dec 13, 2010 Vermont

If you're in line you get your growlers filled

3. parkingphi

Beer Trader

4. franklinn

franklinn Initiate (0) May 29, 2012 Vermont

They stop letting folks join the line at 5 o'clock. Of course they still fill until the line is finished. I was last one in line on saturday (made it up after working all day) and I think we left around 5:45 after a brief chat with Phil & co.

BeerMeFitz and sandman3479 like this.
  5. parkingphi

Beer Trader

That's great to hear. I'll be driving down from Montreal on a Saturday and wanted to avoid the craziness that is a Saturday at HF in the earlier part of the day.

6. SteelersX

SteelersX Disciple (369) Jan 30, 2011 New York
    Beer Trader

Whats it like during the week? Say Wednesday afternoon

7. duchessedubourg

duchessedubourg Aspirant (230) Nov 2, 2007 Vermont
    Beer Trader

Very quiet on Wednesdays - so far. Unless it is a release day as well - then it's busier.

CypherEnigma and SteelersX like this.
  8. JuliusTheCat

JuliusTheCat Initiate (161) Aug 29, 2012 Maine
    Beer Trader

What about Thrursdays? I'll be making my first visit between noon & 2 this thursday. I'll be solo with my 3 year old daughter. Will be spending a week at Jay Peak, so getting a weeks worth of beer. I feel bad showing up solo with a 3 yr old, but I can't pass it up. Hopefully Sciences will be out.

9. duchessedubourg

Beer Trader

I believe Five Sciences has been pulled off distro temporarily for inadequate carbonation. It will take more time to achieve it at a higher temp, says Shaun. Try the Convivial Suarez in the meantime - almost the same style, super-tasty (and fully carbonated.) I don't think that bringing a child along should be a problem, but at that age they shouldn't be running around the brewery while you conduct your business there. Couldn't hurt to call ahead to see what the wait is like that day, either. Standing in line outside in the cold with a small child sounds like *fun* so hope it's a quiet day for your sake.

10. JuliusTheCat

Beer Trader

Thanks for the info. She's quite well behaved, but you never know with kids. I'm ultra sensitive about that type of stuff, so I would never let her run around. I'd just assume leave empty handed if she was acting up.

My plan was to get there as close to opening as possible, have a list made out and go from there.

Dumb question, but are they friendly? Oddly after reading a bunch over a period of time I am sort of nervous about going there.

BeerMeFitz likes this.
  11. tylermains

tylermains Initiate (0) Apr 6, 2010 Kentucky

The whole crew is really friendly. Nobody better to fill your growlers than Phil. Don't stress about visiting, it's just beer and regular people.

rondufresne likes this.
  12. CADMixes

CADMixes Initiate (166) Feb 29, 2012 Massachusetts

They are friendly.

13. duchessedubourg

Beer Trader

No attitude - they will make your visit worthwhile.

14. JuliusTheCat

Beer Trader

Awesome. Thanks guys.

15. fredmugs

fredmugs Poo-Bah (1,509) Aug 11, 2012 Indiana
    Beer Trader

I am naively hoping that when I go up there in July for a hiking trip that there will be less people on the assumption that area is more popular during ski season. o_O

16. bylerteck

bylerteck Poo-Bah (2,869) May 17, 2009 Ontario (Canada)
    Subscriber Beer Trader

Are they fairly welcome to accepting locals as gifts. Coming from Ontario in May and was planning to bring a few beers that will probably never be available in Vermont.

17. youbrewidrink

youbrewidrink Initiate (0) Apr 9, 2009 Vermont
    Beer Trader

Suprisingly incorrect, when the dirt roads are dry and in better shape even locals make the trip more frequently.
    Between hiking, cycling, camping, paddling and beer Vermont really is a 4 seasons destination!

18. youbrewidrink

Beer Trader

Yes please.

19. dunix

dunix Initiate (0) Jan 26, 2011 Vermont

This. Except I would just point out, Vermont has 6 seasons. Stick and Mud seasons aren't so great. Although good times to go to HF, if you have a vehicle with high clearance.

20. duchessedubourg

Beer Trader

PS: Cash only - no ATM's on site, and no credit cards.

21. bylerteck

bylerteck Poo-Bah (2,869) May 17, 2009 Ontario (Canada)
    Subscriber Beer Trader

I feel an IP trade coming along...

22. JuliusTheCat

Beer Trader

And 4WD from what I gather!

Are there limits? I assume where it's a destination it wouldn't be within reason. Going to be at jay peak for 5 days with a bunch of family. Thinking probably 6 growlers, 2 750's & a couple btls to take home. Any must hit places to hit around Jay Peak?

Planning to take the long way home & hit Alchemist on Monday & maybe call the warren store to see if there is any Lawson's.

23. youbrewidrink

Beer Trader

Not likely to be any Lawson's left in Warren on a Monday.

24. JuliusTheCat

Beer Trader

That's what I assumed but thought I'd at least call. Is Thursday a better option? That's when they deliver, right? But if they deliver pm then it won't work. Going to have some time to kill before the rest of the family gets there but not sure I want to make the drive.

25. Massbmx

Massbmx Devotee (408) Apr 5, 2011 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

There were limits before, not sure if they're still in places or what they are, but pretty sure if you hop back in line you can fill more. Also jay peak and hill farmstead, can you adopt me into your family?

26. sandman3479

sandman3479 Devotee (409) Dec 8, 2006 Connecticut
    Beer Trader

Limit 5 growlers total with each trip through the line. The lines can be 2+ hours...

Bottle limits if any, are stated on the site.

27. sandman3479

Beer Trader

Lawson's get delived Thursday to the Warren store, usually before noon.

28. JuliusTheCat

Beer Trader

If you like insanity. c'mon over. The more the merrier.

Anyone been there early on a thurs? Will there definitely be a line before noon?

29. chuckycheese

chuckycheese Initiate (0) Feb 18, 2010 Maine

My 2 cents....There are no certainties to speak of at HF, you just show up and roll with it. Can be busy/slow depending on many variables.

grassrootsVT likes this.
  30. bahnfire

bahnfire Initiate (0) Jan 17, 2011 Vermont
    Beer Trader

Yeah bottle limits (if any) are listed on on their retail page.

Far as growler fills go, they do have a sign up that says 5/per trip through the line, but it has been a little unclear if the 5/per limit is just on 2L fills or if it just means 5 bottles (comination of 5 2L or 750ml). I've seen folks recently get 7+ 750's plus a 2L or two at a time with no problem. But I have not seen someone try to get more than 5 2L fills, so I guess I can't be sure if they would need to go to the end of the line or not.

31. sandman3479

Beer Trader

Every time I have been up and it was busy, it has been made clear that it's 5 containers, no matter what size...

32. Auror

Auror Defender (634) Jan 1, 2010 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

[quote="bahnfire, post: 1099736, member: 554125] I've seen folks recently get 7+ 750's plus a 2L or two at a time with no problem. But I have not seen someone try to get more than 5 2L fills, so I guess I can't be sure if they would need to go to the end of the line or not.[/quote]

The limit is not always enforced when it isn't crazy busy.

grassrootsVT likes this.
  33. jhb138

jhb138 Initiate (0) Oct 19, 2010 Massachusetts

Can you bring your own growlers, or do you have to buy/bring theirs?

34. MarkF150

MarkF150 Aspirant (270) Feb 9, 2009 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

They will fill any growlers as long as they arent clear glass. Also, if you have screw top growlers, be sure to bring the tops as they do not have any.

35. BeerCosmonaut

BeerCosmonaut Initiate (0) Dec 13, 2010 Vermont

There won't be a "line", but there's always a handful of people lining up between 11:30 and noon. The problem is those people are more likely to fill a large amount of growlers, so that creates a +/- 30 minute wait right off the bat. There will not be a two hour line on a non-holiday Thursday with no extremely high demand bottles, so honestly I think you would probably find the line shorter at 2 than at noon. Of course, these things can be unpredictable...

36. StylzMC

StylzMC Initiate (0) Dec 15, 2012 Yukon (Canada)

we just went over all of this.

37. JuliusTheCat

Beer Trader

Thanks for this info.

I've decided I'm just going to go for it. I've convinced my dad to leave w/ me & my daughter. We'll hit waterbury around 11, then get to The Warren Store between 12-1. Then get to Hill Farmstead by mid afternoon. Get to Jay's whenever I get there. Hopefully it'll all come together. Rest of the family is 't getting there until between 5-7, so I'll still beat them. Gonna be fun.

38. BeerMeFitz

BeerMeFitz Initiate (0) Oct 24, 2011 Illinois

Whatever you do ....do not bring them New Glarus!!!!! :)
    For some strange reason they have a shit load of it in the cooler!
    Shaun would rather have a bottle of your home brew than have you spend crazy money on some super rare beer. I was there in the Summer and again in Dec and he said he gets a ton of beer gifts from all the great visitors that come to HF so don't take offense if he says no thankyou when you try to give him some.beer....he just gets so much beer and he would rather you share it with someone who has never tried it. I am heading back to HF in May and am pretty excited to spend time and money in an area of our country that is so beautiful and filled with great people and great beer! Cheers!

grassrootsVT likes this.
  39. jomobono

jomobono Disciple (348) Mar 12, 2012 Massachusetts
    Subscriber Beer Trader

I was told they like coffee, whole beans

40. Patrick

Patrick Initiate (0) Aug 13, 2007 Massachusetts

What about Green Mountain Coffee K cups?

jomobono and jamvt like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • About Us

Your go-to website for beer (since 1996), publishers of BeerAdvocate magazine (since 2006) and hosts of world-class beer events (since 2003). Respect Beer.
  • BeerAdvocate Microbrew Invitational

Join us June 2-3, 2017 in Boston, Mass. for beer, cider, mead, kombucha and sake from over 70 small producers.

Learn More
  • Subscribe to BeerAdvocate Magazine

Support uncompromising beer advocacy and award-winning, independent journalism with a print subscription to BeerAdvocate magazine.

Subscribe