1. Join us for Return of the Belgian Beer Fest on Sat, Sept 17 in Portland, Maine. Limited tickets still available: beeradvocate.com/belgian
    Dismiss Notice

Hill Farmstead Third Anniversary

Discussion in 'New England' started by Andrew61923, Dec 4, 2012.

1. jomobono

jomobono Mar 12, 2012 Massachusetts
    Subscriber Beer Trader

My desert island beer. For those that didn't get tickets, turn on the Puppy Bowl.

SupremePie likes this.
  2. ncaudle

ncaudle May 28, 2010 Virginia
    Beer Trader

1 in our group of 7-8 got through. figure only 74 other people got through...

3. rozzom

rozzom Jan 22, 2011 New York
    Beer Trader

Absolutely - one beer for the rest of my life = What is Enlightenment

jomobono likes this.
  4. Psychmusic

Psychmusic Jun 22, 2012 Connecticut
    Beer Trader

I wonder how many people were trying for tickets? There's bound to be some serious disappointment when only a small portion of people who want tickets can possibly get them. Any thoughts on a more "fair" way of doing it? Seems like luck of the draw is about as fair as it gets anyway...

5. robboyd

robboyd Aug 7, 2011 Indiana

I tend to like the way FFF handles their ticket sales. They reserve a percentage of tickets to be sold on premises, with the hopes that regulars and locals will have a better chance at getting their hands on them, and release the rest online, in a similar fashion to what HF just did. It's not perfect and the complaints only grow with the size of the event, but it does seem pretty fair to me. Oddly enough, I'm an old pro of online beer ticket releases and have never missed out on a ticket, which makes this the first time I've tried to get a ticket and failed. I was entirely prepared with fast internet and was familiar with the ticketing system. Long story short, I'd say demand was pretty intense.

Psychmusic likes this.
  6. Number45forever

Number45forever Jan 6, 2012 Vermont
    Beer Trader

Oh well. It sucked because a friend and I both missed out even though we were trying pretty much from 6:55 on. Was really hoping for tickets tonight, but I was thinking it was going to be tough. Just an insane demand for these, I wouldn't surprised if there was 1000 people hammering that server at 7:00. I'll probably still try on March 3. If I miss then too, life goes on.

GuisseppeFranco likes this.
  7. BeerCosmonaut

BeerCosmonaut Dec 13, 2010 Vermont

The internet is definitely an imperfect vehicle for high-demand ticket sales, but at least it won't be a bunch of scalpers like with concert tickets. Maybe put a few more, or at least regular tickets, on sale at the retail shop?

8. mcintire78

mcintire78 Dec 16, 2006 Massachusetts

So were there technical difficulties? Or did it just sell out in less than a minute? It sounds to me as though it just sold out--if so, there's really no reason for HF to switch from whatever site they were using.

FrankLloydMike and Rochefort10nh like this.
  9. MegDuf32

MegDuf32 Jan 12, 2011 Illinois
    Beer Trader

I ended up getting tickets. When I first logged onto the ticketing site it redirected to a 'waiting room' of sorts for about a minute, and then sent me to the main site. Once there I tried to get 2 tickets and I got the message that there were no tickets. I just kept trying. My actual sale didn't go through until 6:11 PM (Central). It really was just luck I think, no actual errors.

10. wildcats10

wildcats10 Mar 18, 2012 New Hampshire
    Beer Trader

I heard stubhub landed half of the connoisseur tickets... they should be up for sale in the morning. ;)

BeerBum likes this.
  11. nrs207

nrs207 Sep 8, 2011 Pennsylvania
    Beer Trader

I didn't like the site personally. I hit the find tickets or whatever button on that site like 1 second after it went live (I was hitting refresh constantly) and it took 2 minutes to load. In the meantime, at 7:01 I tried on my phone and got through immediately and got rejected. I should've tried on my phone right away. Can't trust the Internet I guess. If somewhere between 75 and 150 people beat me to it by less than a second, props to you, but I'm doubting that. Damn Firefox just said waiting for (whatever the site was) for 2 damn minutes while everyone was swiping up tickets. I'm just happy I got to go to the VIP event in the fall, one of the best nights of my life. Hopefully this 1:30 will be great for some new people, but nothing will beat the old VIP events IMO. I just hope the same thing doesn't happen when I try to sign up for the reserve society. If I get a blank white loading screen while everyone else is getting through I'm going to cry.

12. mathematizer

mathematizer Aug 3, 2006 Maine

They sold out quickly. If you hit reload at the right time, and your connection cooperated, you won.

Hopefully the March tickets last a little bit longer.

13. SupremePie

SupremePie Sep 30, 2012 Vermont

Bummed I wasn't able to get a ticket regardless of whether swarms of overzealous BAs or the servers was at fault. Would have enjoyed sampling some of the rarer releases I missed but, oh well, ya win some ya lose some. Hopefully I'll have better luck with future ticket sales, especially for the Reserve. Either way, I'm sure there is plenty of delicious HF beer in my future

14. BlogueDeBieres

BlogueDeBieres Sep 1, 2011 Quebec (Canada)
    Beer Trader

There was only 150 tickets available. And it was a limit of 2 ticket per buyer. It means that only 75 buyers could land a pair of ticket for this connaisseur event. I think the website was able to manage 75 sales at the same time. I think that we were all surprise by the speed that those tickets flew away !!!

I have 2 friends that were able to grab some tickets... I think it was a question of luck !!!

Cheers

oldp0rt and Mrtrp like this.
  15. brooklynbrews

brooklynbrews Jan 21, 2010 Uzbekistan

Disappointed to have missed out on tickets despite being poised at 6:59 to hit refresh. But, that's the luck of the draw and I just hope I can get some tickets for the general session.

oldp0rt likes this.
  16. Rosty

Rosty Nov 29, 2006 California
    Beer Trader

Cheers to HFS for being so popular and making great beer! Bummed I did not get a ticket, but can't blame the brewery.

SupremePie and Psychmusic like this.
  17. Franch

Franch Mar 22, 2011 District of Columbia
    Beer Trader

see y'all march 3rd, eh?

18. FrankLloydMike

FrankLloydMike Aug 16, 2006 Massachusetts
    Subscriber

I was waiting for the March 3 general admission tickets anyway, but I'm not too confident about getting tickets even for that now. Just curious about how many general admission tickets will be available--does anyone know?

I've been to the past two anniversaries, and it's been one of my favorite events of the year--very laid-back, fun and of course full of excellent beer. I completely understand why they had to switch to ticket sales and cap attendance, and I'll miss the days of being able to drive up on a bit of a whim, wait in line for a bit, and then get in and hang out, but I'm very glad I had the chance to do that twice.

19. jomobono

Subscriber Beer Trader

250 tickets to GA, so if everyone is buying two that is 125 people trying to get tickets. 50 more opportunities from the 75 that were trying to get Connoisseur tickets.

20. brownswisscow

brownswisscow Feb 9, 2012 Vermont

It's going be funny when you can't even get a ticket to the Anny party. Glad I didn't even bother last night.

Here's to hoping they sell tickets on site at the brewery only.

21. grassrootsVT

grassrootsVT May 10, 2005 Vermont

Selling on site at the brewery would be even more difficult than the current system. Can you imagine driving 3.5 hours from Boston only to discover that tickets had sold out 2 hours before you arrived? Can you imagine how the other 50 to 100 (200?) people that drove similar distances would feel? What if you had to wait in line, only to come out empty handed... and it was -10 degrees Fahrenheit outside (with 35 mph winds)?
    There is, sadly, no easy way to go about having festivals - and 400 to 500 people is our maximum capacity. We try to offend/disappoint the least amount of people (“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”)... all of this translates to us most likely not having any further events after this Anniversary party.

22. DonFrap

DonFrap Feb 27, 2011 Massachusetts

Shaun, have you considered a lottery system? I think i speak for everyone I know in saying that I really enjoy the events there and would be sad to see them go. A lottery seems fair, and while it would disappoint those not picked, I don't think they would be able to have a beef with that sort of system.

SupremePie and FrankLloydMike like this.
  23. nrs207

nrs207 Sep 8, 2011 Pennsylvania
    Beer Trader

Idk how much you could be pissing people off, and I'm super bummed I didn't get tickets, but I'll gladly not take the tickets and let someone else have a great time. I hope that people complaining so much hasn't ruined it for everyone. Those events are fantastic.

FrankLloydMike likes this.
  24. brownswisscow

brownswisscow Feb 9, 2012 Vermont

You spelled it out pretty well, do you cater to group X or group Y, either way you are bound to be disappointing customers.
    Who knew popularity came with such difficulties? Funny to think that last year the VIP tickets didn't even sell out the day of.

I'm just glad y'all are a short enough drive from Burlington :)

25. jomobono

Subscriber Beer Trader

I was originally upset because I thought the site was broken, turns out it was just sold out. Got over it, will try for March 3rd. If I don't get in to that I'll just drive up and get growler fills of What is Enlightenment and bottle releases and will be happy for my friends who did get to go and have a good time. I hope you don't let the people who piss and moan too much about not getting in change your belief on having fests.

Concentrate on the people you can please, don't worry about the people that can never be pleased.

SupremePie and GuisseppeFranco like this.
  26. robboyd

This is the unfortunate truth. Even if capacity was double, three, or four times the size it doesn't make it any easier unless the venue capacity exceeds the demand. The complaints will only become more frequent and the number of people with unrealistic expectations will grow. It's refreshing to hear a business put in public that the best option might be to not hold the events at all. Let's not forget that an anniversary party is about celebrating the accomplishment of the business making it another year. If there is one day of the year it should be more about the business than the customers it should be this. It's too bad that the complaints of a few make it less fun and rewarding to throw a celebration such as this.

I've never been to an event at Hill Farmstead, nor have I been to the brewery. I was hoping to make this party my first visit and will try again next month but what I won't do is allow a missed ticket to get in the way of me visiting the brewery this spring. This party is on one day. There are plenty of others to enjoy some beers in Vermont.

SupremePie likes this.
  27. rondufresne

rondufresne Dec 13, 2011 Pennsylvania

I think the ticket website in this case essentially acted as a lottery system, randomly selecting 75 people from among the hordes (what, 500, maybe?) who hit the refresh button at 7:00:00. Through whatever random variance in how fast some electrons were relative to other electrons, some got in and others didn't.

At least a lottery system would make this randomness more transparent. The Red Sox used this approach when they first opened the Green Monster seats (you know, back when they didn't suck); customers registered for the chance to be randomly selected to purchase tickets. To make a lottery system work, though, people couldn't be selfish idiots and register 10 aliases to increase their chances.

grassrootsVT likes this.
  28. robboyd

Which won't happen. Look towards any release of Upland Lambics, which uses a lottery system. Unfortunately you can't rely on the ethics of the masses.

29. DonFrap

DonFrap Feb 27, 2011 Massachusetts

I believe Shaun requires people to show ID at the gate to avoid any reselling of tickets. Would think that would discourage (but not eradicate) this.

30. Brad007

Brad007 Mar 28, 2007 Vermont

Ugh, VIP sold out. Typical. Still want to attend so will plan for this! :)

31. rondufresne

rondufresne Dec 13, 2011 Pennsylvania

The naive part of me clings to the thought that trust might be reciprocated with trustworthiness. I'm not hearing you say this, Rob, but it pisses me off when people excuse unethical behavior by saying, essentially, "that's just the way it goes."

But we can definitely all hope that Hill Farmstead brews a beer called Ethics of the Masses.

32. jedwards

jedwards Feb 3, 2009 California

I think the sentiment is more along the lines of "hope for the best, prepare for the worst". It is a sad truth that in a large enough group, there will be some end-of-the-bell-curve jackasses, but it's important to remember that the people in any situation who are ruining it for everyone are a small, small proportion of the total crowd. I see technical measures (like comparing IDs to buyer names, hand stamps to prevent multiple buys/ticket grabs, et cetera) as taking steps to preserve something for the people who do enjoy it, rather than compromising for those who ruin it.

33. Psychmusic

Psychmusic Jun 22, 2012 Connecticut
    Beer Trader

It's amazing how crazy people seem to be acting about this. I haven't seen many posts on this site that are particularly entitled or anything, but on facebook there's been a whole lot of ridiculous bitching. Seriously, has no one been shut out getting tickets before? I've frequently been disappointed trying to get concert seats, but I don't blame the band or the ticket site. We're all trying for the opportunity to get into this connoisseur event, but no ones entitled too it, and the discussion of "fairness" seems absurd. Some people just happened to get tickets and some didn't. I did not get tickets for this event. Sitting four feet from me on the same wireless network on the same model laptop my roommate DID get a spot. Maybe it was random, maybe he just happened to click a little faster- regardless I'm happy he gets to go and I'll hope to see him when the gates open at 1. Fair is not having certain people favored without reason, and as it stands it doesn't seem that any person had a special advantage here. Granted, a lottery system would make this otherwise random process more obviously fair, it wouldn't change the true "fairness" of the process, it would only give those who were shut out less of an excuse to whine (and again, the posts on this site have been cool headed and reasonable so I'm not calling anyone out). Saying a lottery makes a level playing field is just ridiculous. There already was a level playing field, it just didn't pan out the way many people wanted it to.

In the end, I hope the people who do get to go have a great time. If I can't get into the general admission sessions either, so be it. Hill Farmstead's final responsibility in this whole ordeal is to make the festival worth the money and show the people who attend a great time, not to satisfy every beer snob who feels entitled to a spot at the connoisseur event.

34. GuisseppeFranco

GuisseppeFranco Nov 7, 2010 New York
    Beer Trader

This times a million.

35. robboyd

I agree with the sentiment 100% and am not excusing unethical behavior. I'm also not ignoring it.

I put some more thought into the lottery system and I think there's something to it and your baseball analogy is actually spot on. Before I was thinking more in the mindset of a bottle release, where you can have many people register, win, and then one person can pay for and consume all the beer. At an anniversary party, similar to a baseball game, the event is consumed in the given time of the party and can only be consumed by one ticket holder. Because there isn't anything to take home with you or sell on the aftermarket, this would work, but only the tickets were non-transferable (but refundable, at which point they would be offered up for lottery again). If that was the case, than any winners would have to actually show up and you couldn't have all of your cousins trying to win the same ticket for you. I think there is something to this...

36. Number45forever

Number45forever Jan 6, 2012 Vermont
    Beer Trader

Having heard how great these events are, even though I haven't been to one, it would be too bad if they ceased existence. I'd definitely vote for some kind of lottery system. Perhaps even something like $5 per lottery ticket, with proceeds going charity. Hopefully that would prevent the unclean masses from signing up with 28 different email addresses or something. Look at what Kate the Great day was toward the end with thousands and thousands of dollars to charity each year. People pay to take a chance at being at a fantastic event...then if they don't get lucky, at least you've helped some worthy cause. Then, all power to the lucky few and the great people at HF who would have a great event to be a part of.

FrankLloydMike and rondufresne like this.
  37. BuckeyeinBoston

BuckeyeinBoston Apr 6, 2011 District of Columbia

Got in yesterday and consider myself very lucky!

38. SABERG

SABERG Sep 16, 2007 Massachusetts
    Subscriber

To the extent that these events have this high a demand, is a tribute to the craft (and event quality) of HF. Now past stating the obvious, a question comes to mind. Is the "community" of supporters really supporting with the kinds of disgruntled silliness that has been put out there? I am not on Facebook, and do largely appreciate the BA comments. To offer up an effort to your customer base like these events is no doubt some measured commerce, but at a huge company outlay in effort, personal and proffesional.
    Robboyd hit right, "the anniversary is to celebrate" the efforts of the hard working group first, and of the supporters a bit of respect is due! So best to everyone who "got", to those who "want" be kind!!

Cheers

39. Mrtrp

Mrtrp Dec 6, 2012 Quebec (Canada)

40. FrankLloydMike

FrankLloydMike Aug 16, 2006 Massachusetts
    Subscriber

I really like the idea of some sort of lottery system, and involving charity to buy a lottery ticket would both give back to the community and prevent people from signing up several times. Speaking of which, I have no idea how this could work or if HF would actually want to do this, but perhaps limiting ticket buyers to one festival a year--if you get a ticket to the anniversary festival, for instance, you wouldn't be able to buy a ticket to the harvest festival--would allow more people a chance to enjoy HF events.

Again, it's all up to the folks at Hill Farmstead, and the anniversary should be at least as much a celebration for them as for the fans and consumers, and they put in a ton of work to throw some great festivals, but just some thoughts. I'm very glad I've had the chance to go to the past two anniversaries and if I'm not able to make it this year, I hope (and expect that) everyone who is there has a blast--starting with the folks at the brewery.

• About Us

Your go-to website for beer (since 1996), publishers of BeerAdvocate magazine (since 2006) and hosts of world-class beer events (since 2003). Respect Beer.
  • Return of the Belgian Beer Fest

BeerAdvocate Brings its All-Belgian Fest to Portland, Maine on September 17, 2016. Tickets are on sale now.

Learn More
  • Get the Mag

Become a BeerAdvocate magazine print subscriber today.

Subscribe