Historic Taverns in Pennsylvania

Discussion in 'Mid-Atlantic' started by clr231, Mar 2, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. clr231

clr231 Initiate (47) May 9, 2009 Pennsylvania

I was wondering if anyone knew of any historic taverns from the American Revolution or before that are still in business in Pennsylvania. I know there is a bunch in Philly but I will be traversing across the state soon and hoping to have a pint or two somewhere historic. Any help would be much appreciated.

2. ThoreauLikeAGirl

ThoreauLikeAGirl Initiate (188) Mar 11, 2011 Pennsylvania

3. clr231

Exactly the kind of thing I'm looking for. Thank you!

4. shangwang

shangwang Disciple (328) Aug 1, 2007 Pennsylvania

In Philly, the first thing that comes to mind (and I'm sure you'll have several other similar replies) is City Tavern, which serves a few specialty beers from Yards based on Revolutionary-era recipes.
    Off the top of my head, there's also Bube's Brewery in Lancaster County, which I don't think is Revolution-era, but is pretty old and has a really cool vibe - http://www.bubesbrewery.com/

Edwin likes this.
  5. shangwang

shangwang Disciple (328) Aug 1, 2007 Pennsylvania

6. clr231

Nice! Thanks

7. johnsummers

johnsummers Initiate (0) Mar 2, 2012

You should check out the Dobbin House in Gettysburg. built in 1776 and the basement bar only has candle light.

8. clr231

Yes I have been there. Thanks!

9. FooFaa

FooFaa Guest (0)

10. hhkal17

hhkal17 Poo-Bah (1,638) Jul 10, 2005 Pennsylvania
    Society

11. Deuane

Deuane Initiate (0) Aug 26, 2005 Pennsylvania

Shank's Tavern in Marrietta, Lancaster County. It is the oldest continually operating tavern in Lancaster County. Founded in 1814
    http://www.shankstavern.com/

12. Deuane

OneDropSoup and Edwin like this.
  13. clr231

Thanks for the input! This should get me started.

14. FooFaa

FooFaa Guest (0)

15. ashellen

ashellen Initiate (107) Mar 26, 2009 Virginia

Rock Hill Hotel, outside of Millersville was est. 1700 and would've been perfect for your trip. sadly it closed just before christmas. (a dispute between building owner and buisness owner, is what I heard).

so i guess its doors closing allowed Shanks to be the oldest in Lancaster Co.

keep your eyes out it may re-open
    http://rockhilltavern.com/

oneeye likes this.
  16. jjboesen

jjboesen Meyvn (1,304) Feb 1, 2002 Maryland

City Tavern is a reconstruction.

17. drtth

drtth Poo-Bah (4,006) Nov 25, 2007 Pennsylvania

Not on the way west, but worth adding to your list for at least one visit is the recently renovated and re-opened Broad Axe Tavern.

http://broadaxetavern.com/

TomFoley likes this.
  18. TomFoley

TomFoley Aspirant (226) Mar 19, 2005 Pennsylvania

Damn, I always forget about the Broad Axe, Maybe because I grew up a few miles down the road. Good call.

19. Deuane

ashellen--there is a difference.....I didnt say Shanks was the OLDEST tavern in the county (and neither do they)
    their claim is oldest continually operating tavern in Lancaster County...as in it has NEVER closed, and then re-open, since it opened in the early 1800's.

A real shame about Rock Hill....good place and a nice group of young guys running the place too. I met them at Troegs a few years back. They had some good ideas and an infectious energy that I thought would help the place "make it on the map". A shame about disputes like this but they happen all the time.

20. Jaysus

Jaysus Initiate (52) Jan 16, 2003 Pennsylvania

That sounds like a great trip! I am curious about this as well, be sure to update us after you make an itnerary.

P.S. I'm sure McGillan's is already on your radar. :wink:

21. MusicaleMike

MusicaleMike Initiate (0) Mar 17, 2008 Pennsylvania

22. Hoprider

Hoprider Initiate (107) Feb 1, 2009 Pennsylvania

You may want to check into Selinsgrove Brewery. Not techicnally a Historic Tavern, but is a Historic Building built in 1816 and is now a Brewhouse.

23. ashellen

ashellen Initiate (107) Mar 26, 2009 Virginia

yeah i re-read your post, and never edited mine. shanks is a cool place. i agree with everything you said about rock hill, it was one of my favorites and really close to my parents house (so i made quite a few stops there).

24. hhkal17

hhkal17 Poo-Bah (1,638) Jul 10, 2005 Pennsylvania
    Society

25. hippityhops85

hippityhops85 Initiate (0) Oct 24, 2009 Pennsylvania

I dunno if anyone has mentioned this yet but since I'm working right near it today the Washington House in Sellersville, PA is pretty nifty. http://www.washingtonhouse.net/ A few solid beers on tap as well.

26. Edwin

Edwin Disciple (360) May 8, 2003 Pennsylvania

I was beaten to the punch on City Tavern and Jean Bonnet, but both are historic and both rule.

27. ThoreauLikeAGirl

ThoreauLikeAGirl Initiate (188) Mar 11, 2011 Pennsylvania

if anyone wants to drink at my place, the house was built in the 1740s. :wink:

28. callmemickey

callmemickey Meyvn (1,229) Aug 12, 2007 Pennsylvania

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.