Dismiss Notice
Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

History of the American IPA?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by AugustusRex, Nov 17, 2015.

1. marquis

marquis Crusader (741) Nov 20, 2005 United Kingdom (England)

I did read somewhere that as long ago as the late 1700s John Courage regarded clarity as a mark of quality.
    My experience of homebrewing over 30 years was that they all pretty well fell clear in days. In fact I used to "drop" the beer in its later stage of fermentation into winemakers' 5 litre demijohns. Once the yeast had done its work the beer could be seen clearing in hours.
    The beer I mentioned in my previous post must have been hopped at around 14 or 15 pounds a barrel.I don't think anyone is using more than that , there begins a problem that too much of the beer remains in the hops and trub.

2. drtth

drtth Poo-Bah (3,219) Nov 25, 2007 Pennsylvania

Interesting link and quote, but one thing that's missing is that in England you would not have found the nobility and the more successful members of the merchant class hanging out in pubs. So the stuff he's told us is about what was going on with the working class in England but not in the homes of the nobility and successful merchant class. I suspect that use of glassware in the homes of such people was quite common much earlier than in the pubs.

3. JackHorzempa

JackHorzempa Poo-Bah (3,057) Dec 15, 2005 Pennsylvania
    Supporter

Earlier this week I bought a 12-pack of Two-Hearted cans (canned on 10/7/15). I drank two of them last night and for my palate they were citrusy/juicy; an absolute joy to drink.

I have absolutely no idea which beer should be considered to the the "original citrus bomb IPA" but just wanted to post about my enduring love of Two Hearted IPA and a BIG thank you to Bell's for the 12 ounce cans in a 12-pack format.

Cheers!

TongoRad and Ranbot like this.
  4. JackHorzempa

JackHorzempa Poo-Bah (3,057) Dec 15, 2005 Pennsylvania
    Supporter

Sound like a reasonable guess to me but I have no idea of the drinking habits of the wealthy British people vs. the folks who went to pubs. I would guess that the wealthy would have consumed more wine & spirits vs. beer but that is solely a guess on my part.

Cheers!

5. marquis

marquis Crusader (741) Nov 20, 2005 United Kingdom (England)

Wines were basically expensive so only the better off could afford them.
    Spirits were so widely drunk they were a social problem.
    But the Lord of the manor enjoyed his beer , it would have been his staple drink and any house of any size would have brewing facilities.

drtth and JackHorzempa like this.
  6. Ranbot

Ranbot Devotee (462) Nov 27, 2006 Pennsylvania

If you replace "Lord" with "wealthy" it would describe colonial America... coincidence? :wink:

7. LuskusDelph

LuskusDelph Aspirant (280) May 1, 2008 New Jersey

Good points, and quite true.
    And in the end, the flavor is the paramount concern.

TongoRad likes this.
  8. LuskusDelph

LuskusDelph Aspirant (280) May 1, 2008 New Jersey

Correct, you absolutely can not fault them one bit and probably can even congratulate them for promoting it as a 'feature' rather than a fault (something that Microsoft made billions doing. LOL).

So despite the hype and murmurs of craft brewers doing it for the love of it, in the end they're in business to make $$$ and the bottom line is definitely the bottom line. Craft brewers are in competition with each other (however cordial) rather than in competition with BMC, and they have to give the customer what they want in order to survive in what is becoming a very crowded arena.

Ranbot likes this.
  9. TongoRad

TongoRad Poo-Bah (2,028) Jun 3, 2004 New Jersey
    Supporter Beer Trader

I've made mention of this previously but it does tie into what you just said. I have had Heady Topper where I poured most of the can into a glass and left the decanted part to settle in the can; when I went back for the last swig there were proteins and yeast in there that definitely adversely affected the flavor, and it was more of an astringent/cloudy taste than what I just had from the glass. To me, that indicated that at least in some of these instances the lack of finishing does impact more than the beer's appearance.

jmdrpi and LuskusDelph like this.
  10. EazyBeeze

EazyBeeze Initiate (120) Apr 10, 2009 Colorado

It's odd you're the first person to mention Lagunitas in this thread. First brewery to flagship an IPA and certainly should be in the discussion of "history of American IPAs". First released in '95

11. jmdrpi

jmdrpi Poo-Bah (4,518) Dec 11, 2008 Pennsylvania
    Subscriber

But it didn't start as their "flagship" beer. It was first a seasonal, based on their own website https://lagunitas.com/beers/ipa

12. beergrrl

beergrrl Initiate (0) Dec 9, 2003 New Hampshire

Paul made another IPA in 2014, Flannel-Free IPA. Maybe he'll bring it back when the NH taste buds cool down from the muddy bitter IPA scene.

TongoRad likes this.
  • About Us

Founded in Boston in 1996, BeerAdvocate (BA) is your go-to resource for beer powered by an independent community of enthusiasts and professionals dedicated to supporting and promoting better beer.

Learn More
  • Our Community

Comprised of consumers and industry professionals, many of whom started as members of this site, our community is one of the oldest, largest, and most respected beer communities online.
  • Our Events

Since 2003 we've hosted over 60 world-class beer festivals to bring awareness to independent brewers and educate attendees.
  • Our Magazine

Support uncompromising beer advocacy and award-winning, independent journalism with a print subscription to BeerAdvocate magazine.