Hitting the Road (DC to Pittsburgh)

Discussion in 'Mid-Atlantic' started by bcook582, Jun 20, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bcook582

bcook582 Initiate (0) Jan 4, 2012 California

I am from SF and will be driving from DC to Pittsburgh PA in late July. I am looking for places that are along the way that are worth it to stop and buy, drink beer. I am planning on taking a bunch back to SF with me and would appreciate some insider information on where to stop.

PLEASE DO NOT TELL ME TO DETOUR TO VT i know, ive been there and go alot.

Thanks

2. gillagorilla

gillagorilla Meyvn (1,250) Feb 27, 2013 Maryland
    Beer Trader

This will most likely get moved. Just search the Mid-Atlantic forum. This thread will help you a lot.

So, are you in DC right now or are you flying to DC and then going up to Pittsburgh?

3. shadowane

shadowane Aspirant (202) Sep 7, 2007 Pennsylvania
    Beer Trader

Have you done any research? Have a route planned?

4. kbuzz

kbuzz Champion (816) Jan 22, 2011 North Carolina
    Beer Trader

Ironically, I'm from DC, living in Pittsburgh and will be heading out to SF in late July.

270 to 70 to Breezewood, then the Turnpike in from there?

Flying Dog is in Frederick, MD...other than that, I can't really think of much along that route

5. bpgpitt10

bpgpitt10 Aspirant (287) May 12, 2008 District of Columbia
    Beer Trader

I used to live in Pittsburgh and am now in DC so I make the trip frequently to see friends / family. Along the drive, you are pretty much out of luck except Flying Dog. There isn't anything along the way that would match what you can find in either DC or Pittsburgh so I'd say just suck it up and bomb it straight for 4 hours then do more around Pittsburgh. If you need recommendations around DC or Pittsburgh while you are in those places, the search function will give you lots of options.

The only random idea I have would be to drive from DC to Philly (2.5 hrs) then to Pittsburgh (5 hrs). It adds about 3 hours of total driving to your trip, but you'd be able to stop in Baltimore then also in Philly which would be two good additions. It'd end up making the trip an entire day likely, but if you aren't in any hurry it's an option. Heck you could even do Tired Hands in Philly.

6. KnightRider

KnightRider Initiate (0) May 20, 2007 Pennsylvania

Best place to buy beer along that route is Ye Old Liquor Shoppe in Frederick, MD. Just a couple minutes off of 270. For the most part, better selection and prices than you'll find in Pittsburgh.

http://www.yeoldspiritshop.com

7. bcook582

bcook582 Initiate (0) Jan 4, 2012 California

All very good advice, what about musts in either location

DC?
    Pittsburgh?

I am looking to bring a bunch of beer back to SF with me so anything helps?

8. basickness

basickness Aspirant (206) Apr 20, 2013 Pennsylvania
    Beer Trader

fatheads pittsburgh 100%

Jeffreysan likes this.
  9. scraff

scraff Initiate (163) Apr 18, 2003 Maryland

If you're starting in DC and you want bottle shops, must stops include Whole Foods P St. and Chevy Chase Wine and Spirits. DC bars--too many great ones to list! Use the places search for that. Heading out 270, stop in Gaithersburg for Growler's Brewpub and the Dogfish Head Ale House. Frederick, Ye Olde Spirit Shop for sure to shop. Can also hit Barley and Hops and/or Brewer's Alley (both brewpubs). From there out all away out to Pitt, I got nothing for you, but I'm guessing there are some random brewpubs in a few towns in PA before getting to Pitt. Have a safe trip. Cheers! Oh. In Pitt I do recommend Chruch Breworks too. Loved that place...

10. dhartogs

dhartogs Disciple (362) Apr 29, 2010 Virginia
    Beer Trader

11. Saudereth

Saudereth Aspirant (262) Feb 21, 2013 Virginia
    Beer Trader

House of 1000 beers is in this sad little town outside of Pittsburgh, New Kensington. Driving through the town will make you want to drink, thankfully this place has a bar and has a solid selection of bottled beer to go we don't get here in DC/NOVA. The prices vary from really spot on to too much (ie: 15 bucks for cafe royale vs 10 in nova)

12. Jeffreysan

Jeffreysan Initiate (0) Apr 12, 2013 Maryland
    Beer Trader

If you're going to be spending any time in Pittsburg, you HAVE to hit up Church Brew Works. It's AWESOME! Great food, and great beer! You can buy beer from them to go too! +1 on Fathead's too!

13. basickness

basickness Aspirant (206) Apr 20, 2013 Pennsylvania
    Beer Trader

church is mehhhh

14. KnightRider

KnightRider Initiate (0) May 20, 2007 Pennsylvania

Agreed. The whole brewery in a church thing is unique, but the food sucks and the beer is just average.

15. MickJ0nes

MickJ0nes Initiate (0) Dec 10, 2012 Pennsylvania

Market District Robinson just outside of Pittsburgh

16. MickJ0nes

MickJ0nes Initiate (0) Dec 10, 2012 Pennsylvania

Better yet just plan your route and hit Weyerbacher then Troegs on your way.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • About Us

Founded in Boston in 1996, BeerAdvocate (BA) is your go-to resource for beer powered by an independent community of enthusiasts and professionals dedicated to supporting and promoting better beer.

Learn More
  • Our Community

Comprised of consumers and industry professionals, many of whom started as members of this site, our community is one of the oldest, largest, and most respected beer communities online.
  • Our Events

Since 2003 we've hosted over 60 world-class beer festivals to bring awareness to independent brewers and educate attendees.
  • Our Magazine

Support uncompromising beer advocacy and award-winning, independent journalism with a print subscription to BeerAdvocate magazine.