Dismiss Notice
Extreme Beer Fest:Los Angeles

Join us December 9th in Los Angeles for the ultimate throwdown of craft beer creativity!

Learn more...
Dismiss Notice
Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

Hmm..Chile Beer

Discussion in 'Homebrewing' started by chocosushi, Jun 30, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. chocosushi

chocosushi Initiate (0) May 1, 2011 Oklahoma

Working on a Chile Beer w/ homegrown Chilies.

Was Curious...

I added the de-seeded & split peppers in Secondary,
    as I would w/ coffee beans, oak, dry-hop, etc. . .

Curious on some info on this process, as I was hoping
    a proper infusion within a week to a week & a 1/2.

The peppers used are:
    1 Organic-Grown Cayenne
    1 Organic-Grown Jalepeno (Heirloom)
    1 Organic-Grown Hungarian Wax

As of today it is on it's smelling nice & fragrant
    w/ that "green" aroma that fresh pepper skins have.

IrishHockey likes this.
  2. GreenKrusty101

GreenKrusty101 Crusader (701) Dec 4, 2008 Nevada

I've always smoked chilis before adding to secondary/keg, but if bottling I'd just rack when the taste was right. Be prepared for more intense hottness after carbonation.

3. marquis

marquis Crusader (739) Nov 20, 2005 United Kingdom (England)

Chile is a bit big to get into a brew :slight_smile:

chocosushi likes this.
  4. good_gracious

good_gracious Initiate (0) Aug 19, 2012 Maryland

What's the beer? Length of time will depend on what you have in place to balance the heat. A huge imperial stout would be fine with a healthy dose of peppers, while a lighter beer (flavor wise) will probably be over the top after a week or less using your method.

5. AlCaponeJunior

AlCaponeJunior Initiate (0) May 21, 2010 Texas

Personally, I quite enjoy Rogue Chipotle ale and Brew Labs #4 Amber Lager With Habanero Pepper And Mango (Weston Brewing). These are the only two I've reviewed, and both to me embody what I think a pepper beer should be. I like the subtle but present peppers with a slow but steady warming and building of heat, but that heat never gets over the top too hot. The antithesis of this would be pretty obvious if you've ever had cave creek chili beer (like drinking liquid capsaicin extract mixed with bud light).

The beer type makes a difference, as good_gracious stated. What type are you making? Base recipe?

Good luck with your beer, when done right a good chili beer is a very tasty thing.

Can't give credit because I can't remember where I saw it, but someone on these forums said NOT to serve chili beers along with other spicy foods, because the spicy food would drown out or muddle the flavors of the chili beer. I kind of agree this could be a problem, especially if you're serving to guests along with dinner. Showcase your beer in its best possible setting.

Smokebox_79 likes this.
  6. tbm882

tbm882 Initiate (0) Aug 25, 2007 New York

I've found that roasting and then deseeding the peppers, to be added to the boil and flame out, gives a nice pepper flavor and aroma without getting a ton of heat. I've used jalapeno, serrano, and poblano this way with great results. I feel that adding uncooked peppers will give you a ton of heat without much pepper flavor or aroma. Also be aware the flavor and aroma drop off pretty sharp after a couple months. Depending on the size of your batch and the size of your peppers, I'm not sure how much effect you'll get from 3 peppers. I've used upwards of 15 roasted peppers in my 5 gallon batches. Hope this helps, good luck with your brew, i'm a sucker for pepper beers.

7. AlCaponeJunior

AlCaponeJunior Initiate (0) May 21, 2010 Texas

I thought about using poblanos to make a chili beer. They are the base pepper for chili rellenos around here, which I love. Gives just a touch of heat but doesn't have the potential to blow you out of the water (like jalapenos sometimes do, depending on the growing conditions where they were raised, I would guess). They also have a nice pepper flavor.

What's your base recipe? I wrote to rogue at one point and asked what they could tell me about their chipotle ale. Don't remember now what they said (they gave me some info, but nothing terribly specific. It was more advice about how to use the peppers than what base beer they used).

8. chocosushi

What I brewed was a 5 gallon batch.
    I'm new to Mash, so since this was an experimental beer,
    I kept the recipe simple & used No grain (I know, I know, I just
    never like to risk it when I am trying new styles..)
    Used a foodgrade scale to measure ev-er-y-thing out.

Boil: 60 minutes total

1 oz of NZ Pacifica
    added at beginning of boil

1/2 Oz Pacifica/Pacific Gem (equal parts)
    added at ~45 remaining

1/2 Oz Pacifica/Pacific Gem (equal parts)
    1 Whirlfloc Tab
    .5 Lb Local Honey (from Muldrow, OK)
    1 Can Munton's Light Malt Extract
    1 Can Munton's Extra Light Malt Extract
    .3 oz Lemon Verbena leaf (Organic, Homegrown)
    added at flameout

yeast: Safale US-05

Secondary:
    Added 2.5 oz Hungarian Oak Cubes,
    1 Hungarian Wax Pepper (Organic, Homegrown)
    1 Heirloom Jalepeno Pepper (Organic, Homegrown)
    1 Ripe Cayenne Pepper (Organic, Homegrown)

all Chilies were washed, split, & seeded before being added.

So far it has been a week on Oak & chilies. The nose is nice & green.

9. tbm882

tbm882 Initiate (0) Aug 25, 2007 New York

My base was a slightly higher abv all grain cream ale ~7%. Pretty straight forward 5gallon cream ale recipe with additional base grains, crystal 10 and honey malts, and flaked maize. Used saaz hops and us05 for yeast. 10 roasted/de-seeded/de-veined jalapenos and 4 roasted/de-seeded/de-veined poblanos. Used half of the peppers at boil and the other half at ~10min to flame out. I've made this a couple of times and it has come out great. I will prob lower the abv the next time I make it.

AlCaponeJunior likes this.
  10. chocosushi

This sounds very good!
    My original plan was to do a cream ale, but I thought the Hops required would be too
    "peppery" for the beer.

11. chocosushi

Bottled on Tuesday!
    Carbonated to 2.5 volumes.
    The Chile spice-level was spot on precarbonation,
    & since we used a large sweet hungarian pepper in secondary, the
    flavor of the chile was very full & fresh & paired very well w/ the NZ hops.
    the oak gave it a nice dryness. Great fresh nose.

Thanks for everyone's input again!

AlCaponeJunior likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • About Us

Founded in Boston in 1996, BeerAdvocate (BA) is your go-to resource for beer powered by an independent community of enthusiasts and professionals dedicated to supporting and promoting better beer.

Learn More
  • Our Community

Comprised of consumers and industry professionals, many of whom started as members of this site, our community is one of the oldest, largest, and most respected beer communities online.
  • Our Events

Since 2003 we've hosted over 60 world-class beer festivals to bring awareness to independent brewers and educate attendees.
  • Our Magazine

Support uncompromising beer advocacy and award-winning, independent journalism with a print subscription to BeerAdvocate magazine.