Holy Mother of Gatherings 2013 HMOG

Discussion in 'South-Atlantic' started by pghlee, Feb 22, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ontherocks

ontherocks Initiate (0) Mar 4, 2008 Georgia

I guess that is sign that I had a good time at previous HMOGs, since I couldn't remember the time.

I somehow thought it was earlier, perhaps because we usually start our beer can shows at Six Feet Under or other bars at 8:00 AM, so we can be finishing up as the regular customers show up at 11 - 12.

2. pghlee

pghlee Initiate (0) Feb 24, 2006 Georgia

HMOG is this saturday. Prepare your Livers.

We have almost 170 different rare beers signed up on the spreadsheet. IF YOU HAVE NOT REGISTERED FOR THE EVENT AND SIGNED THE SPREADSHEET YOU WILL NOT GAIN ENTRY INTO THIS EVENT! We have limited amounts of space so only people signed up will be allowed to enter. Please take a look at the spreadsheet and fill out any verticals if possible. Tasting glasses, ice bins, water stations, name tags, etc will be provided. Rare bottle silent auction and beer swag raffle will go from noon til 3pm. (Please bring some donation cash to help make these a success) All money collected will be donated to GAHB 314. You can order food from the bartender if you need to eat. Rare bottles or beer swag can also be donated to help the cause (beermail me)

Very Important!
    Please,Please,Please eat food, drink water and make plans to get home safely. Eating a burrito and walking around the square for 30 minutes will not sober you up enough to drive. The majority of these beers are high in alcohol and there will be a lot of it. Do not F this up for the rest of us by driving home, acting like an ass or getting too drunk.
    Thank you
    PGHLEE

3. Frasier433

Frasier433 Initiate (0) May 29, 2010 Georgia

Missed out last year, but I won't be missing this year!

4. RustyDiamond

RustyDiamond Initiate (0) Nov 18, 2004 Georgia

Lee, are sequins allowed again this year? After that unfortunate incident on the staircase in 2008, I wasn't too sure. Regardless, I'll add some auction bottles and see you Saturday.

5. pghlee

I just noticed that DING added a beer to the spreadsheet! :mad:

6. QuentinCall

QuentinCall Aspirant (235) Sep 30, 2011 Georgia
    Beer Trader

So, would I still be welcome to add to the spreadsheet and attend?

7. GatorBeerNerd

GatorBeerNerd Disciple (340) Sep 15, 2007 Georgia
    Beer Trader

He did not ask me to lock it down, and historically I do not until the night before the event. You should be fine. Other people have definitely been adding things today.

Speaking of Ding, I did not see any mention of his other favorite topic in the thread. Hopefully everyone knows that the bartenders and other servers helping to work the event make most of their money off of tips. Please make sure to take care of them even if you are not buying food or drink from BSP for the event.

8. pghlee

Not if your really Ding!
    Don't need someone blogging about how shitty my events are and how HMOG should feature stale, low alcohol session beers served in overpriced 16.9oz bottles.

UGADawgGuy likes this.
  9. bhalter8

bhalter8 Devotee (400) Feb 22, 2008 Georgia

I want beer served from rip-off top cans!

UGADawgGuy likes this.
  10. unclejedi

unclejedi Initiate (0) Mar 9, 2006 Alabama

11. AtlCarl

AtlCarl Aspirant (210) Feb 1, 2011 Georgia
    Beer Trader

Looks like work might me keep me away from all the fun this weekend. I'll update on Friday evening if I'm definitely going to get screwed, and not be able to make it. My apologies to the guys who were chipping in on the 4D vert with me. Hopefully we'll still be able to make it happen.

12. ATLhophead

ATLhophead Initiate (0) Sep 9, 2009 Georgia

I can bring an '11 4D. What's needed for the vertical if you don't come?

13. AtlCarl

Beer Trader

I was planning on bringing '09, '11, and '12. The gap was filled ('10) and '08 was added. Really hoping to make by at least for an hour or two, but we'll see...

14. nerdrocker101

nerdrocker101 Initiate (0) Feb 18, 2009 Georgia
    Beer Trader

So apparently Dmunroe won't be able to join us Saturday.

That in combination with the lack of interest on completing the Vertical Epic I was thinking about bringing something else in it's place.

I saw a couple of Fiftyfifty Eclipses on the list. I have some of the set as well and was wondering if we could build that out some. If others want to combine forces in this, let me know. Cheers

15. ontherocks

With mixed emotions, I will have to forego this HMOG for a family gathering at my sister's place near Gainesville.

She and her hubby have a really neat wooded lot with a running creek, a really relaxing place to be. Family is important and she did ask me to bring beer. She married into a great family and several family members are willing to try anything that I bring, i.e., there are no snide remarks about craft beers, instead they ask "Well, what did you bring us?" (They usually have something good, too.)

I still have a 2009 bomber of Bourbon County Stout, a 2010 bomber of Nightstalker, a 2009 Worldwide Stout, and a fresh bomber of Elysian Dragonstooth Stout, in case any is having a local tasting event at another time. Haven't decided if we might open the HUB Abominable Winter Ale bomber at my sister's place (since she did bring it back from Seattle for me).

So, ya'll have fun and be careful. Hope it works out for next year.

Joe

16. pghlee

You will be missed joe! See you at the next beer can show

17. ontherocks

Thanks, Lee. Some of our people are working on a summertime beer can show in Athens. Will let you know when I know more about specifics.

18. SaintNathaniel

SaintNathaniel Initiate (54) Sep 14, 2007 Georgia

Just added mine to the SS. Pumped to hang out w/all you beer nerds on Saturday.

19. GameFreac

GameFreac Disciple (368) Apr 8, 2011 Georgia
    Beer Trader

Just got to GA. Added a few more tonight.

20. nerdrocker101

nerdrocker101 Initiate (0) Feb 18, 2009 Georgia
    Beer Trader

Okay it looks like we'll have the entire Eclipse Futures for 2012 there. Big thanks to AtlCarl, TRSG, priscilla_c, and GeorgiaKiwi for contributing to that. If any of you ballers have variants you'd like to contribute, by all means, it would be greatly appreciated and only make it that much more epic.

I'm updating the doc now

21. pghlee

We need another local atlanta show this summer. I want to start planning one soon,hope you can help.

22. oconman

oconman Initiate (0) Sep 8, 2005 Georgia

I will be there pimpin for GWCB and HB314 support. I will also be getting petition signatures and generally preaching to the choir.

This is also my first BA post in years. So that's a novel thing as well.

John O.

23. ATLhophead

ATLhophead Initiate (0) Sep 9, 2009 Georgia

Going to have to back out. Sorry guys, but my soon to be father-in-law is heading back to Afghanistan tomorrow. I got the dates mixed up, but I hope everyone has a great time!

Hope to see you next year. :oops:

24. bctdi

bctdi Initiate (144) Dec 8, 2008 Georgia

Not to be Captain obvious, but the list is looking real good!

25. AtlCarl

Beer Trader

Looking like the man is actually going to let me make it to this soiree. Might be running a little late, but I'll take it. Looking forward to it!

26. GameFreac

Beer Trader

I know it starts at 12 but should we show up early to ice down the beers and stuff or just get there exactly at 12?

27. ontherocks

If you know how to get in touch with Ken Jones, he is working with Tad Mitchell for a Six Feet Under show in June and then the Athens show - perhaps assoc. with Terrapin, maybe about August.

28. scotterson

scotterson Initiate (0) Dec 4, 2010 Georgia

Didn't think we'd be able to make it today, but looks like we can. Spreadsheet was still open, so I added some stuff for my wife and I. Hope it wasn't too late!

29. shizzyraw

shizzyraw Initiate (0) Mar 26, 2008 Pennsylvania
    Beer Trader

Sorry the Armand Zomer was a gusher homies!

30. AtlCarl

Beer Trader

Sorry to miss it guys. I got screwed at the last minute... Cheers!

31. pghlee

Event has been canceled. sorry

shizzyraw likes this.
  32. michaeljstraub

michaeljstraub Aspirant (286) Oct 6, 2012 Georgia
    Beer Trader

Just woke up from a beer induced nap ... success?

33. GameFreac

Beer Trader

Best beer event of my life. Thanks to everyone who shared their beers with me. Highlights:

Heady Topper
    Cantillon Lou Peppe Kriek (my first Cantillon)
    Surly Five
    Jester King Ru 55
    Headhunter
    Abyss
    2012 Hunahpus
    Fitger's BBA Edmund Fitzgerald Imperial Stout
    Eclipse Heaven Hill

shizzyraw likes this.
  34. shizzyraw

shizzyraw Initiate (0) Mar 26, 2008 Pennsylvania
    Beer Trader

You GA boys know how to party. Had a great time.

35. pghlee

Thank you to all who attended the HMOG. We had some amazing bottles and quite a few new BAs to drink with. Everyone was well behaved and willing to help along the way (which i greatly appreciate) We raised over $1400.00 from the silent auction and raffle. YEEAAHHH!! :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • About Us

Founded in Boston in 1996, BeerAdvocate (BA) is your go-to resource for beer powered by an independent community of enthusiasts and professionals dedicated to supporting and promoting better beer.

Learn More
  • Our Community

Comprised of consumers and industry professionals, many of whom started as members of this site, our community is one of the oldest, largest, and most respected beer communities online.

Learn More
  • Our Events

Since 2003 we've hosted over 60 world-class beer festivals to bring awareness to independent brewers and educate attendees.

Learn More
  • Our Magazine

Support uncompromising beer advocacy and award-winning, independent journalism with a print subscription to BeerAdvocate magazine.

Learn More