Holy Mountain Brewing Company Update/Status

Discussion in 'Northwest' started by HolyMtn, Dec 24, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jpbebeau

jpbebeau Aspirant (266) Sep 11, 2011 Washington
    Trader

It's not about the beer, it's about the beer. Right?

vurt, NWer and sharpski like this.
  2. John_M

John_M Poo-Bah (6,472) Oct 25, 2003 Oregon
    Moderator Society Trader

The older I get, the more I appreciate the wisdom of Don Younger.

3. guajolote

guajolote Aspirant (293) Sep 12, 2008 Oregon

First off, Holy Mountain. Geez, do they make good beer or what? I need more of it in my life.

Number two, let's be real (and keep it sports-analogous, even)... BA is the NFL of beer forums. If you want to have fun & joke around in a beer forum, this is probably not the place. And that's fine. There are other places on the internet where you can have fun and talk about beer, but this isn't it. I've probably already said too much.

Thirdly, and just to tie it all together, I would like to drink a Holy Mountain beer while watching the NFL sometime soon. #beer

4. NWer

NWer Crusader (784) Mar 10, 2009 Washington

Nice to hear after a recent post on Untappd said "fuck Seattle" after drinking a Holy Mountain something. Claimed we are just a bunch of homeboys. #ToEachHisOwn

5. distantmantra

distantmantra Meyvn (1,064) May 23, 2011 Washington
    Trader

FUCK YOUZ GUYZ

I just finished a dinner and tour of Pike with Mr Finkel followed by Cloudburst and Holy Mountain.

Damn. Beer.

Ninjakillzu, derkruk, NWer and 7 others like this.
  6. 66jzmstr

66jzmstr Devotee (480) Jul 17, 2005 Washington
    Society

Speaking of Holy Mountain and eats, I believe Windy City Pie just announced an actual location to purchase and eat their pizza that doesn't resemble a warehouse-district late-night drug transaction. The location, I believe, is right next to (or a couple doors down from) Holy Mountain.

I don't mean to start pizza wars, but I've never had true Chicago pizza (geography of point of purchase notwithstanding), and given paper-thin pizza angers me (ironically, deeply), I hope to have some Windy City Pie while enjoying some of Holy Mountain's wares on premise sooner than later.

kemoarps, Raj, DamienI and 7 others like this.
  7. TheBungyo

TheBungyo Champion (813) Dec 1, 2004 Washington

I've heard nothing but raves, from actual Chicagoans no less, about Windy City Pies. Even though I don't live in Seattle anymore, this is great news. Love the idea of deep dish and Holy Mountain!

Now all we need is someplace that makes good bar pie or even New Haven style pizza in the area.

66jzmstr and checktherhyme like this.
  8. beertunes

beertunes Poo-Bah (6,485) Sep 24, 2007 Saint Martin
    Trader

You tried Fat Pie in Fairhaven yet? They do Chicago and Detroit styles. Acceptable version of Chicago, haven't tried the Detroit.

9. TheBungyo

No, not yet, but I'll definitely check it out. Do they serve beer?

10. beertunes

Trader

11. Joshbiir

Joshbiir Initiate (47) Dec 8, 2016 Washington

I liked the Detroit a lot when I stopped there on my way to Vancouver. Nice little chuckanut pils to wash it down.

beertunes likes this.
  12. jbwimer

jbwimer Initiate (0) Jun 13, 2013 Pennsylvania

I've never understood the ebb and flow of activity in this thread. This seems to be worth a post.

DamienI, 66jzmstr and NWer like this.
  13. ballardbeer

ballardbeer Initiate (176) Nov 10, 2013 Washington

and why would you think that?

DamienI, distantmantra, vurt and 3 others like this.
  14. distantmantra

Trader

Gonna be in Canada this weekend. So not stressing about missing out.

beertunes likes this.
  15. beertunes

Trader

Gonna stop in Bellingham for a beer?

kemoarps, ballardbeer and vurt like this.
  16. distantmantra

Trader

Nope. Hitting the road super early Saturday so we can have brunch in Vancouver and then heading home ASAP on Sunday after breakfast to pick up our kiddo.

beertunes likes this.
  17. EdwardAbbey

EdwardAbbey Initiate (0) Jul 13, 2015 Washington

I mean no offense to a fellow American, but certainly a well-known adage involving travel in Rome ought to apply...:slight_smile:

kemoarps, vurt, ballardbeer and 4 others like this.
  18. drone

drone Disciple (375) Jun 17, 2013 Washington
    Trader

That can art is downright sexy. Very much looking forward to checking these out.

19. balto22

balto22 Initiate (74) Feb 7, 2013 New York
    Trader

I love the fact that they are switching to cans, but $20 per 4-pack is by far too rich for me.

20. distantmantra

Trader

I love they're canning a Pilsner, and unless things changed Astral Projection isn't a hazy juice bomb.

I don't love that I'll be in Canada this weekend and sure to miss out on the sexy cans.

ballardbeer likes this.
  21. pbgnar

pbgnar Initiate (103) Dec 8, 2015 Illinois

Will be visiting seattle on Saturday and planning to stop by for the release. What should I expect in terms of of wait time? Do I need to show up well in advance for a chance to get bottles and cans and how quickly does the line move? Sorry for the noob questions. Really excited to see a release at holy mountain but not sure what I'm getting into.

22. EdwardAbbey

EdwardAbbey Initiate (0) Jul 13, 2015 Washington

Although Holy Mountain cans are indeed a beautiful sight, and I absolutely respect their prerogative to set prices wherever they feel they must to reflect cost of production and take care of themselves and this special project they have going, I must beseech all who go to queue up at this release to insist, if ever questioned, that they were only there for Wraith.

Not waiting in line for a $20 4-pack of a DIPA is our line in the sand. If we ever cross it, no one--and I mean no one--must ever hear of it, and it must never become the norm. The margins that separate us from elsewhere are already shrinking. They mustn't collapse entirely.

23. TheBungyo

I'm a humongous fan of Three Fates, but good Christ the price point of $16 for a four pack is insanity. Holy Mountain does a great job of pricing their beers for on tap consumption, but the can prices are way outside of what I'd be willing to pay.

balto22 and distantmantra like this.
  24. beertunes

Trader

Eh, that whole Metal-Death-Black theme is kinda played out, but, strokes for folks. Plus, if you find skulls sexy, you might have some other issues. :wink:

drone likes this.
  25. beertunes

Trader

Well, on-tap pints are at, or even over, $5 these days, so it's not too far out of line. Plus, here we are, hyping it for them, we'll stand in the line, and we'll pay that price. They know damn well what the market will stand.

26. drone

Trader

I just mean Holy Mountain's aesthetic in general. They've always had very clean labels and designs, monochromatic backgrounds with simple or occult/metal symbols. It's not overtly symbolic or grotesque, like some groups and other breweries, and generally pleasing on the eyes even if you gloss over the symbols themselves.

27. vurt

vurt Meyvn (1,068) Apr 11, 2004 Oregon
    Society

If I remember correctly, the name "Holy Mountain" itself is a tribute to legendary metal vocalist Ronnie James Dio. "Holy" from Dio's album "Holy Diver," and "Mountain" from one of his signature songs, "Man on the Silver Mountain."

beertunes and drone like this.
  28. drone

Trader

Interesting. Here I was thinking it was an ode to the famous surrealist film of the same name.

29. honkduh

honkduh Aspirant (228) Jun 2, 2011 Oregon

I thought they were named after Sleeps album "Holy Mountain"

30. TheBungyo

No, pretty sure it was a song title from a band much heavier.

31. TheBungyo

We'll stand in line? Um, no we won't.

kemoarps, vurt and beertunes like this.
  32. honkduh

honkduh Aspirant (228) Jun 2, 2011 Oregon

“So when it came to naming the brewery, we landed on Holy Mountain,” a reference to the doom metal band Sleep’s second album. “It completely fit into the overall feel we wanted.”

33. beertunes

Trader

Perhaps not you or I personally, but, the collective "we'll" will be in line. Probably with mules.

kemoarps and NWer like this.
  34. stillill

stillill Initiate (48) Mar 6, 2016 Washington

I fully plan on maxing out my loads of the DIPA and bottles tomorrow, price be damned. I hope that Astral Projection is still has good as it used to be.

35. cherche

cherche Meyvn (1,094) Mar 27, 2013 Washington
    Trader

Some astral projection would hit the spot right now...I wish this was happening when I will be in town for the holidays :slight_frown:

36. vurt

Society

This is what I remembered. But this is the correct answer:

So yeah. Metal.

sharpski likes this.
  37. beertunes

Trader

AKA, music to step on kittens by.

38. distantmantra

Trader

I've never heard that kind of metal being played at HM. Ever.

39. ballardbeer

ballardbeer Initiate (176) Nov 10, 2013 Washington

Not in the taproom. I went in a couple weeks ago and they were blasting death metal in the back.

vurt likes this.
  40. vurt

Society

I listen to a lot of metal, and I do not step on kittens. Am I doing it wrong? Am I drinking the wrong beer for optimum metal enjoyment/kitten-stepping?

motherofgod and beertunes like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.