Holy Mountain Brewing Company Update/Status

Discussion in 'Northwest' started by HolyMtn, Dec 24, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. vurt

vurt Meyvn (1,064) Apr 11, 2004 Oregon
    Society

Since we're talking about saisons, it's surprising that no one has mentioned The Commons yet.

And what kind of beer is their new collaboration with Fort George and Plazm Magazine? That's right: a saison.

2. TheeWalrusHunter

TheeWalrusHunter Initiate (0) Aug 23, 2013 Oregon

mmmmm saisons. Ill take all the saisons. If you put the word "brett" on a tap list I will most likely order that beer.

NWer and vurt like this.
  3. ballardbeer

ballardbeer Initiate (176) Nov 10, 2013 Washington

for me, saisons (seizoenssss) start and end with logsdon. seizoen bretta is perfection, oaked bretta is world class (albeit pricey), and and the often overlooked base beer seizoen is excellent, as well.

Kurmaraja likes this.
  4. TheeWalrusHunter

TheeWalrusHunter Initiate (0) Aug 23, 2013 Oregon

Could not agree more. for the price, availability, taste - Seizoen-bretta is the best, no question in my mind. That beer is FIRE.

66jzmstr and ballardbeer like this.
  5. John_M

John_M Poo-Bah (6,476) Oct 25, 2003 Oregon
    Moderator Society Trader

I don't do a whole lot of trading, but everyone I do trade with, was asking if I could grab them a bottle of Fantasia. So it's not as if Upright is entirely unknown.

I remembered that I'd left out Logsdon in my post right after I turned my computer off. :-) Every season when the new Peche N Brett is released, I'm inundated with requests to try to get someone a bottle.

woemad and ballardbeer like this.
  6. distantmantra

distantmantra Meyvn (1,063) May 23, 2011 Washington
    Trader

Nice to hear The Lamb is coming back. I've got one bottle left from the initial release.

66jzmstr likes this.
  7. draheim

draheim Poo-Bah (2,461) Sep 18, 2010 Washington

HOLY MOUNTAIN

Sorry, just wanted to try to get the thread back on track again

8. ballardbeer

ballardbeer Initiate (176) Nov 10, 2013 Washington

okay, fine, i have a request.

you guys are great at the social media game, but a lot of the key information comes through facebook and well, i don't use facebook. if it's not too much to ask, could you guys do a photo update of the taplist on instagram? reubens does this once a week or so, and i find it to be a super efficient way of relaying a lot of information with little effort.

dirtylou likes this.
  9. TheBronze

TheBronze Disciple (359) Apr 16, 2009 Washington
    Trader

First time at Holy Mountain tonight. Had to go back to page 2 to find all your thoughts on their beers :slight_smile: Love the NW forum!

Don't sleep on Astral b2. Yum. And Watchman's House Oaked Lager in 3rd use rye whiskey barrels. Wow! Great beer.

#169 TheBronze, Feb 1, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 1, 2015
    kemoarps, woemad and TheeWalrusHunter like this.
  10. HolyMtn

HolyMtn Initiate (68) Mar 26, 2013 Washington

We're on it. Lots of stuff rotating in the next couple of weeks.

kemoarps and ballardbeer like this.
  11. Kurmaraja

Kurmaraja Poo-Bah (2,516) May 21, 2013 California
    Trader

Yeah, but those are "American Wild Ales" with FRUIT!! America invented making beer wild and putting fruit in it. When the people asking for Fantasia exhibit the same fervor for BA Flora Rustica or Anniversary Saison I'll see parity. Interest in them starts at Fantasia, maybe trickles down a bit to Blend Love and Special Herbs, and some weirdos care about Sole Comps. ;-)

To make this moderately on topic, unless Holy Mountain throws a ton of fruit in stuff, nobody outside of the PNW will care. And as with Commons, Logsdon, Upright, that can be a ok by me if the "shelf" beers are so good. I'm almost ashamed at how infrequently I revisit Upright's number beers.

12. distantmantra

Trader

Fruit does not make a beer. You need that fruit so bad? Drink some pop.

Keep on with the wild and the funk. Fruit optional.

13. Kurmaraja

Trader

Maybe my sarcasm was lost but I'm distinctly in your court; great beer first. I love great fruited beers but I champion non-fruited beers by Upright and De Garde so often that my friends think I'm a fruit hater.

fsck and distantmantra like this.
  14. distantmantra

Trader

Your sarcasm wasn't lost one bit, I was just following it up with some real talk. I won't ever turn down a fruited sour (I seriously want to try one of Cigar City's guava Berliners), but ignoring the non-fruited ones is funny. I wonder if that's why AA gets so little love outside the PNW. This desire for nothing but fruit, fruit and more fruit is really fascinating to me.

Kurmaraja likes this.
  15. HolyMtn

We have a couple of fruit barrels going, but they have a bit still to go. Our plan from the start is to brew seasonally. We have plans for some cool stuff with fruit, but not until it's the correct season, and we can visit the farm and pick the fruit out ourselves. There is endless bounty that lies just over the mountain, and believe me when I say we're going to take full advantage of it. When the time is right and the products are ripe.

kemoarps, fsck, ballardbeer and 4 others like this.
  16. Texwild

Texwild Initiate (77) May 1, 2008 Washington
    Industry

Amen to Holy Mountain on the seasonal, patience thread. Fruited beers are just another option and craft is all about options.

We love Saisons and have stuck it out with our offerings and passion for the style...much more coming.

I am simply stating a fact of sales beyond our small, awesome world. However, sales do not rule the day. Because Beer Matters.

kemoarps and chinochino like this.
  17. sanford_and_son

sanford_and_son Aspirant (250) Jul 23, 2012 Washington

I opened the 2nd bottle I had after about 1.5 years not too long ago and it was absolutely fantastic.

also, brought a couple Holy Mountain growlers to my friend's Super Bowl party and they were a big hit. Love that Wayward Black Beer, so smooth.

HolyMtn likes this.
  18. cherche

cherche Meyvn (1,092) Mar 27, 2013 Washington
    Trader

so i think the first batch of Astral Projection (which i think was originally just called "DIPA") had a different hop profile than batch #2 and you are doing the same with K&C...are the hops going to be changing with each batch? or are you considering batch #1 and #2 of each of these beers different and batch #1 is just considered the name of one and batch #2 the name of the second and you could brew batch #1 again?

19. distantmantra

Trader

Based on some stuff I read about rotating recipes, I don't think they care about tickers or hardcore reviewers with OCD.

BuckeyeOne likes this.
  20. cherche

cherche Meyvn (1,092) Mar 27, 2013 Washington
    Trader

I would probably put myself in that category but more interested in whether the beers will continually evolve over time or if they are going to have a few recipes and stick with them...i think the ever evolving thing could be very cool.

Kurmaraja likes this.
  21. Kurmaraja

Trader

Agree here; I just like to know what I'm drinking and I think a greater appreciation for what hops are in a particular beer is a good thing. Part of the evolution of the consumers palate.

On a side note, when I first got into "craft" beer I thought "wow, it's amazing that these small breweries make such a crazy variety of different IPAs, IIPAs, APAs, etc" attributing it to a restless creative spirit ... only to later realize that at least part of it was driven by availability of hops. (Though I'm sure there's a good dash of restless creative spirit in there as well.) As I see it, brewers have two options: create some base recipes that they can tweak with different hops depending upon availability or create a bunch of rotating recipes for different beers. As a counterpoint - and I know I'm getting WAAAAY ahead of things since Holy Mountain has been open a week - you have Reuben's with a bunch of different IPAs. Each option has benefits and drawbacks: on the one hand, you get to develop some known name beers but people may be upset when it doesn't taste "right"; on the other hand you get to explore more and people won't have to wrap their minds (mouths?) around the idea of a variable hop profile, but you lose the brand building and have to constantly - if you're lucky - field the question "when will Blimey / Expat / Notorious / Tank Slapper / etc be available again and why don't you brew more of it?"

No easy path. Thank god they don't have to brew the hard way like some other breweries ...

cherche likes this.
  22. HolyMtn

For our brewery, and as a brewer, my hope it to always be evolving and getting better. Never resting on our laurels with anything that we make. Kiln and Cone will change from batch to batch. That's not to say we won't come back to one that we (and you guys) really liked. We don't make a lot of it in the scheme of things, just a single batch at a time. It won't go out into the market unless someone orders a cask of it. I think it's a good way for us to be creative with a low ABV and easy drinking beer, and to get good feedback from the folks who regularly visit our tap room. We were very lucky as a new brewery to source some cool hops and stockpile some things. We were even luckier to secure contracts for said hops this year for future batches. Look for malt bills and yeast strains to change as well. These have significant impact on the hops for this beer. Are we going to do an all Fuggle K&C with Weizen yeast and 100% Aromatic malt? No.

Kurmaraja, adkieffer and cherche like this.
  23. PacNWDad

PacNWDad Disciple (371) Sep 24, 2011 Washington

I was very impressed with their brews at Belgian Fest. Great brews, especially considering they are a pretty young brewing. I hope they will be having more stuff at Chuck's 85, but if not I will just drop by the brewery and check them out.

24. sanford_and_son

sanford_and_son Aspirant (250) Jul 23, 2012 Washington

The Goat is deeee-licious.

jpbebeau, distantmantra and Kurmaraja like this.
  25. TheBungyo

TheBungyo Champion (806) Dec 1, 2004 Washington

Gotta say I love the double brown. So. Damn. Good! Really nice roast character ... and I couldn't help but wonder if it was made with an English yeast.

Gose is nicely drinkable yet still complex enough to be interesting.

Also, big props to the staff. It's been pretty hectic in there but the staff remains very efficient and friendly. I'm definitely going to be a regular at Holy Mountain.

26. HolyMtn

Thank you! The Brown is one of my favorites as well. Yes, we definitely use an English strain on that. We're have a bunch of it in Rye and Bourbon barrels and are planning on pulling some samples next week to check progress. Last time we tasted them, they were coming along very nicely (so are the stout, barley wine, and Bon Nuitte barrels!). Looking like it may be ready sometime in early Spring.

We have another batch of Gose going. It goes through a couple of different fermentations in large red wine puncheons. The initial lacto ferment just finished up, and we'll be brewing the second half of the blend in the next couple of weeks. We learned a lot from the first batch, and are doing a couple of small tweaks. Hoping to bottle a bit as well for sale in the tap room.

Our staff is incedible. Kayle, Mike, and Chris are some of the most passionate people I've ever worked with. They have a vast knowledge of beer and are absolute Rock Stars when it gets busy in there. We've been working on the hybrid table/counter service thing, and it's getting really dialed in. We added a second POS yesterday, and that helped out a ton. I can't wait to see how things progress in the tap room. Lots of cool stuff planned! Thanks a bunch for the feedback. It's really awesome to start seeing regulars that are becoming familiar faces during the week.

beerophilia, kemoarps, John_M and 8 others like this.
  27. TheBungyo

@HolyMtn

Probably late to be asking but ....what time are tours today?
    I looked around online for an answer, and couldn't find one.

28. NWer

NWer Crusader (783) Mar 10, 2009 Washington

This year's open house is most under the radar event in history. Hardly a peep from anyone. Not just @HolyMtn

beertunes likes this.
  29. TheBungyo

Yep, I had no idea it was today until I saw Maritime giving a tour on the morning news! Holy Mountain is one I'd like to go check out. I'd say Fremont too, but that place is likely going to be crazier than a shithouse rat.

30. SeaAle

SeaAle Disciple (360) Jun 24, 2012 Oregon

Fremont already announced yesterday that all their tours for today are full.Go to the Washington Beer Open House website for info on all the participating breweries.

31. HolyMtn

12-5. Come on by!

TheBungyo likes this.
  32. HolyMtn

Detailed info on our Facebook and Twitter.

33. TheBungyo

HolyMtn likes this.
  34. Jinxed

Jinxed Disciple (398) Mar 6, 2007 Washington
    Society

Just wanted to quickly say that I went to Holy Mountain last night and I have a new favorite brewery in Seattle. That said, I've only lived here for 6 months, but I was very impressed. I had half pours of astral projection, bonne nuit, kings head (nitro), and the ox and loved the first three and liked the fourth. Great work, I'll be back sooner than later (although my 18 month old complicates things).

35. checktherhyme

checktherhyme Initiate (173) Apr 8, 2008 Washington

I got to go to Holy Mountain on Friday and it exceeded every expectation that I had. I tried every beer over the course of an evening and was super impressed. Nice job @HolyMtn !

HolyMtn likes this.
  36. cardinal_bruin_triton

cardinal_bruin_triton Initiate (90) Oct 10, 2013 Massachusetts
    Trader

I echo everyone's sentiments. Visited from CA over the weekend and you guys exceeded all expectations. Thank you for the great experience @HolyMtn.

HolyMtn likes this.
  37. beertunes

beertunes Poo-Bah (6,420) Sep 24, 2007 Kyrgyzstan
    Trader

Finally getting around to catching up on this thread. So many things to chime in on, but I'll be kind and just ask a question. For the Open House last week, only 2 of the 5 breweries here in Hamstertown gave away sample with the tours. Word was that LCB was starting to crack down on the giving away of the alcohol, which is, after all, illegal here. How was this handled at the other breweries around the state? Free and plentiful samples? Free and limited samples? No samples? Since you can now give beer/cider/wine samples at certain farmers markets, and at grocery stores, why crack down on breweries during whats basically a P.R. event?

38. Texwild

Texwild Initiate (77) May 1, 2008 Washington
    Industry

No one has been cited and fined for tour samples and no code specifically prohibits it. I think the decision simply reflects each breweries take on what the Open House vibe means.

beertunes likes this.
  39. SeaAle

SeaAle Disciple (360) Jun 24, 2012 Oregon

I got a free small taste of Schooner Exact's BBA Porter. Georgetown charged $5, but gave good sized tastes of all their beers on draft plus a bottle or 2 and a tour of the brewery. Was a great deal. Two Beers gave nothing for free. That's the only three I went to.

beertunes likes this.
  40. TheBungyo

I guess you could say the samples at Holy Mountain were plentiful. They were pouring tour goers samples of their wit (which was really nice by the way, and generous considering they just opened recently). Half way through the tour I was on some dude interrupted the tour guide to ask for another pour ... as if expecting the tour to halt so we could all walk back to the beginning and he could be poured a refill. What's worse is, this beer was actually on tap in the tasting room so all he had to do was wait for the tour to be over and he could have bought a pint of it. The tour guide handled it better than I would have and promised to get him a refill at the end.

So yes, plentiful enough that even ridiculous requests like that were honored!

Honestly, this is why I appreciate good service in pubs/tasting rooms/where ever. They deal with people like that. On this same tour someone had the audacity to ask "are you making money yet" of our guide. It would be so hard to not be jaded and treat every customer like jackasses after a few people like those two.

OK, sorry, rant over.

vurt, kemoarps, John_M and 2 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.