Home brew recipe book

Discussion in 'Homebrewing' started by Bramerican, Mar 28, 2022.

1. Bramerican

Bramerican Initiate (6) Nov 20, 2021

Hi all,
    Been lurking on here for a little while reading all the posts and have learned one hell of a lot. I just started home brewing the back end of 2020 so pretty new to it all. I have only brewed using extract so far and am probably a little ways off going to all grain. Would anyone have any recommendations for a brew recipe book with a variety of different beer styles? I have Palmers How to Brew and have tried several of his brews very successfully but looking for a bit more variety.

PapaGoose03 likes this.
  2. VikeMan

VikeMan Poo-Bah (2,027) Jul 12, 2009 Pennsylvania
    Society

IMO, the best bang for your buck is "Brewing Classic Styles," which has recipes for every BJCP beer style, or at least every style that the BJCP guidelines had at the time the book was written.

JrGtr, dmtaylor, billandsuz and 6 others like this.
  3. PapaGoose03

PapaGoose03 Poo-Bah (3,564) May 30, 2005 Michigan
    Society

I enjoy the challenge of brewing clone recipes of well-known beers that I'm curious to try but are not easily available to me. You can use the Internet to find recipes for many popular beers (Pliny the Elder, Pliny the Younger, Zombie Dust), and even if it's an all-grain recipe that you find you can convert it to an extract recipe.

However, I got started along this way of clone brewing with the book Clone Brews. From that book I usually choose a style that I want to try and then select a beer in that style from the book. And the challenge of it is to select a beer that is available to me commercially so that I can get a bottle of it to compare to my finished beer.

utahbeerdude likes this.
  4. Dave_S

Dave_S Initiate (89) May 18, 2017 England

I don't own it myself, but everyone I know who has it swears by the Greg Hughes book, Home Brew Beer. I've certainly drunk a lot of good beers based on recipes from it.

utahbeerdude likes this.
  5. pweis909

pweis909 Poo-Bah (1,964) Aug 13, 2005 Wisconsin
    Society

Brewing Classic Styles was very helpful for me. While I have brewed a few recipes verbatim, I mostly use the recipes as templates for exploring ingredients. Once you know how to brew a good IPA, Brown Ale, or whatever, start substituting out hops or malts or yeasts for something that aroused your curiosity and learn what it brings to the table. Modern Homebrew Recipes is also good for the same reason. In both cases, you have recipes from brewers who really are expert at crafting recipes. While a good recipe doesn't guarantee a good homebrew, it is where you need to start.

JrGtr and utahbeerdude like this.
  6. Supergenious

Supergenious Disciple (398) May 9, 2011 Michigan

The "Averagely Perfect" recipes found on this very forum are solid recipes. Ingredients/ processes were voted by BA members. Also, back when I was starting out I found the mad fermentationist (M. Tonsmeire) website to be super helpful.

7. Applecrew135

Applecrew135 Initiate (52) Jul 18, 2012 Pennsylvania

My experience with the Averagely Perfect Kolsch was a real beauty and crowd-pleaser; I will definitely be brewing this again!

I've also tried the averagely Perfect Dubbel... but unfortunately I screwed up the recipe by unintentionally going off-script (in a big way). Still enjoyable, but could be better. Next time I will be paying more attention.

pweis909 likes this.
  8. pweis909

pweis909 Poo-Bah (1,964) Aug 13, 2005 Wisconsin
    Society

I think the Kolsch may have turned out to be my favorite. I also really liked the original, AP American IPA.

9. GormBrewhouse

GormBrewhouse Zealot (536) Jun 24, 2015 Vermont

Lots of good advice, I would add if you bought kits to start your own recipe book and include every thing you brew good or bad

PapaGoose03 and JackHorzempa like this.
  10. dmtaylor

dmtaylor Aspirant (238) Dec 30, 2003 Wisconsin

My favorite book 15 years ago was Designing Great Beers by Ray Daniels. It is a bit dated now today, but can still give you good ideas on how you might go about making your own recipes. Radical Brewing by Randy Mosher is also a very good one, with recipes in it and ideas for how to make your own. Otherwise, best collection we have today is probably BCS by Zainasheff & Palmer, and even that is becoming a bit dated already.

Several of my own favorite recipes (and memes!) can be found at the following link, if anyone is curious. Note: Most of these are not for 5-6 gallon batch sizes, but very odd batch sizes. Pay close attention to that. (I'm not exactly sure whether this link will work for you, as I've never shared it before.)

https://flickr.com/photos/152484552@N02/

GormBrewhouse and PortLargo like this.
  11. PapaGoose03

Society

The link seems to share a collection of memes, etc. for everyone to see.

GormBrewhouse likes this.
  12. dmtaylor

dmtaylor Aspirant (238) Dec 30, 2003 Wisconsin

Yep. AND homebrew recipes.

GormBrewhouse and PapaGoose03 like this.
  13. Bramerican

Thanks all for the input. I will take a look at some of these books. Can someone post a link to the Averagely Perfect recipes please? I tried doing a search on the forum and gets lots of threads discussing peoples results, but can’t find the original recipes!!

GormBrewhouse likes this.
  14. riptorn

riptorn Zealot (532) Apr 26, 2018 North Carolina
    Society Trader

Here's the "The Averagely Perfect Kölsch - "Kölsch-Vid 19" 'How We Got There' thread"

Scroll to the end and you’ll find links to the rest of the AP “How We Got There” threads. I think there have been eight.
    Typically, the recipe is toward the bottom of the first post in a “How We Got There” thread and shown as “Averagely Perfect [style name here]”
    There are also some follow up How My Averagely Perfect [XYZ] Turned Out threads, but I think they're scattered about in the regular Homebrewing forum.

Peruse some of the threads to see how a recipe was developed and how the discussion progressed. Mighty interesting, to some. :sunglasses:

15. VikeMan

VikeMan Poo-Bah (2,027) Jul 12, 2009 Pennsylvania
    Society

The final recipes are also in the recipe forum. Here's a search string that should show all of them:

Search String Click Here

dmtaylor, GormBrewhouse and riptorn like this.
  16. Bramerican

Thanks for all the links - and now I have also found the recipe forum so can browse it in full. I doubt I will ever be the most technically perfect brewer, and I am certainly not blessed with the most finely tuned pallet. However my main goal is brew beer I enjoy drinking and have fun doing it.

Applecrew135 and PapaGoose03 like this.
  17. PapaGoose03

Society

Just be sure to keep sanitation and proper fermentation conditions at the top of your technical list and you should be okay.

JrGtr, billandsuz, riptorn and 3 others like this.
  18. jeebeel

jeebeel Initiate (197) Jun 17, 2003 Texas

OP, another thing to keep at the top of your technical list that has always served me well - don't drink, or don't drink much, while you brew. When your brew day is finished, have at it.

riptorn and PapaGoose03 like this.
  19. GormBrewhouse

GormBrewhouse Zealot (536) Jun 24, 2015 Vermont

Well, some of ,y best and worst brews were during the drunken brewer series.
    In general, it’s best to be somewhat functional but, as

ong as I can write down, accurately, the ingredients then a beer or 2 is fine, for me.

riptorn and PapaGoose03 like this.
  20. riptorn

riptorn Zealot (532) Apr 26, 2018 North Carolina
    Society Trader

I've tried both drinking a fair amount and not drinking while brewing. One tends to be a bit more more fun and hectic, the other tends to result in better beer.
    Now I typically wait until yeast is pitched and the fermentor is settled in its spot, then crack a beer/s for clean up time.

That's the spirit! (or malt beverage)

21. memory

memory Aspirant (222) Oct 2, 2005 Pennsylvania

Public libraries seem to have some nice beer recipe books.

22. Bramerican

Thanks again for all the tips. I’ve decided to try the AP NEIPA as it’s one of my fave beer styles right now. Will let you know how it turns out.

RE: drinking whole brewing -definitely a good idea to reign it in a bit. Not so much experience with brewing hey, but I do a lot of cooking and I have found over the years that those meals where more wine goes in me than the food tend not to be the best!

PapaGoose03 and riptorn like this.