Homebrew Question Lactobacillus

Discussion in 'Homebrewing' started by danedelman, Mar 1, 2012.

1. danedelman

danedelman Apr 3, 2011 Pennsylvania

So I made a geueze and pitched some of my extra lacto/yeast blend from another batch. It has been 24 hours and still nothing. Does Lactobacillus make CO2 to get the airlock going? I noticed in my berliner weisse after I pitched in secondary, it really did nothing but still dropped the FG from 1.01 to 1.006. I am picking up Wyeast Lamic blend tomorrow just in case and to get it tasting like the funkiness I enjoy. Do you think the wort is ok??

I also pitched some london ale yeast this morning, an old vial of white labs use by 1-7-12 to make sure I had a good macro in it.

2. larsenju

larsenju Jan 31, 2011 Wisconsin

I think it is probably fine. Lactobacillus plays a small, if any, role in the souring of lambic, your biggest impact will come from the lambic blend. I would get that in there as soon as possible and let it go for a very long time. Mine is currently at 14 months.

3. CASK1

CASK1 Jan 7, 2010 Florida

In ethanol fermentation (yeast), pyruvate (3 carbons) from sugar metabolism is converted to ethanol (2 carbons) and CO2 (1 carbon). Lactic acid fermentation (Lactobacillus) converts the same 3 carbon pyruvate to lactic acid which also has 3 carbons, so no CO2 and no bubbles in the airlock.

4. danedelman

smells of lacto and airlock is now at filling but not releasing anything. Lambic blend never showed today......hoping tomorrow. Should I get a pack of belgian yeast if no show on the lambic tomorrow just to pitch or a more mild??

5. DaveJanssen

DaveJanssen Apr 17, 2008 Germany

When you say you pitched some extra yeast/lacto blend what do you mean? Do you have an idea how much yeast and how viable it is? If your London ale yeast is best by January 7th you may not have many viable cells and you might see a long lag time. You are probably also underpitching a fair amount at this point. Did your lambic blend come in? I would probably pitch a yeast relatively soon. If your goal is a geuze I would probably pitch a belgian yeast rather than something US/british. Hopefully the blend gets in soon.

6. danedelman

I got the lambic blend and pitched. Doing well now and looks funky!! Now the fun 12 month wait:)

7. larsenju

larsenju Jan 31, 2011 Wisconsin

I think watching this stuff work was the most interesting thing I have seen in my adventures brewing. Good luck!

• About Us

Your go-to website for beer (since 1996), publishers of BeerAdvocate magazine (since 2006) and hosts of world-class beer events (since 2003). Respect Beer.
  • Extreme Beer FestĀ® Cometh

February 3-4, 2017. Boston, Mass. Limited tickets available. Prepare for epicness.

Learn More
  • Free Trial Subscription

Reside in the US? Interested in a free 1-month trial subscription to the print edition of BeerAdvocate magazine?

Yes! Sign Me Up!