Great Britain Homebrew suppliers in UK?

Discussion in 'Europe' started by RendoMike, Dec 8, 2012.

1. RendoMike

RendoMike Sep 6, 2011 United Kingdom (England)

Greetings, I'm an American expat living in the UK and have decided to take a shot at brewing my own beer. Besides doing the obvious and using Google, I am looking for advice on a good supplier of ingredients considering both quality and price. I'm likely going to buy the ingredients for my first batch from the Happy Brewer, http://www.thehappybrewer.com/.

My concern is extract here seems to run much higher than the states and being a new brewer, do no want to jump right into all grain, so I am starting with a partial-grain.

Thanks for any advice.

Cheers,
    Mike

2. Hanglow

Hanglow Feb 18, 2012 United Kingdom (Scotland)

RendoMike likes this.
  3. Aye

Aye Jul 21, 2011 United Kingdom (England)

Yeah i can heartily endorse Jim's site, learned a lot from it over the years, local lad too.

RendoMike likes this.
  4. RendoMike

Thank you. Those DME prices are a lot better.

Eventually I am sure I will move to AG also, but for now I want to keep it easy. I'm surprised the wife hasn't raised an eyebrow with how much I have spent already.

5. RendoMike

Will definitely check it out. I would really appreciate the British perspective on home brewing. I've mainly been focused on the US sites with my research so far.

6. jazzyjeff13

jazzyjeff13 Nov 6, 2010 United Kingdom (England)

I don't homebrew (yet), but it might be worth googling and seeing if there are any homebrew shops near you. I'm sure supplies are cheaper online, but a shop means you can walk in and talk to someone (who presumably knows what they're doing).

7. marquis

marquis Nov 20, 2005 United Kingdom (England)

I began all grain brewing buying malt from the back door of the Beeston maltings at a ridiculously low price.Homebrew shops sold pretty old hops so I sent away for vacuum packed ones from a place in Newcastle, but found that the local micros would let me have ingredients at around cost.Perhaps you could enquire at your local micros. I also received a lot of help and advice from them.
    I don't homebrew any more , it didn't save me any money as I still drank the same amount in pubs.My wife said the house smelt like a brewery, I took that to be a compliment till I saw the look on her face! I still have a couple of stainless steel Burco boilers, a mash tun,wort cooler and a few pressure barrels stacked away somewhere.

8. RendoMike

Good advice, thanks. The Happy Brewer is the closest one I found, about 30 minutes away. I placed an order from the Home Brew Company provided above, but purposely left a few things off in order so I can go visit the Happy Brewer.

9. RendoMike

Great idea! I wouldn't have thought about asking around with the local micros. I haven't been out to pubs much during the past year because of work. If this weekend allows, think I will go up to the local watering hole and ask around. Cheers!

10. coltsr2

coltsr2 Jan 10, 2013 United Kingdom (England)

Yep i love my home-brew.....esp my 10% Abv bottle conditioned Imperial IPA's and Barley wines!..two different styles yet both easily brewed to very high standards at home for a fraction of what the big boys charge!....

I use a Chimay blue yeast for most of my beers which lend themselves to this Belgian ale yeast quite well i think...i started my own culture from a bottle of chimay blue i purchased nearly a year ago and have been using it ever since...its still fermenting rich, fruity beers and easily ferments up to 10% Abv and a bit more!

I prefer an American home-brew site i visit regularly, but i also occasionally visit this uk one..they have lots of links to best suppliers and cheapest ingredients etc...

http://www.thehomebrewforum.co.uk/index.php

• About Us

Your go-to website for beer (since 1996), publishers of BeerAdvocate magazine (since 2006) and hosts of world-class beer events (since 2003). Respect Beer.
  • Return of the Belgian Beer Fest

BeerAdvocate Brings its All-Belgian Fest to Portland, Maine on September 17, 2016. Tickets are on sale now.

Learn More
  • Get the Mag

Become a BeerAdvocate magazine print subscriber today.

Subscribe