Dismiss Notice
We're celebrating 10 years of BeerAdvocate magazine with $10 print subscriptions for US residents.

Subscribe now!

Africa Homebrewing Abroad?

Discussion in 'The Rest of the World' started by seydou, Apr 18, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. seydou

seydou Apr 18, 2012 South Africa

Hello BA. Just joined the site tonight!

I'm moving to South Africa in about a week and am ready to pick up homebrewing as a hobby (especially in light of a much-diminished beer selection abroad). Any South Africans or others have any insight as to how difficult it may be to buy ingredients elsewhere?

Or should I consider a big ingredient run and stuff it all in my suitcase?

Thanks!

2. inflatablechair

inflatablechair Dec 31, 2003 Idaho

I can't comment on the homebrewing scene in South Africa, but since the second largest brewing company in the world started there, I'd be cautiously optimistic. If you can't make beer, I bet you could make some pretty good mead over there. Work with what you got!

3. hopfenunmaltz

hopfenunmaltz Jun 8, 2005 Michigan

Can't say what the supply situatio is like, but found this club on the American Homebrewers Association site. If you are not close to them, they at least give you the info on how they get their supplies.

Wort Hog Brewers

Gauteng 2060
    Phone: 27117068183
    Email: secretary@worthogbrewers.co.za
    www.worthogbrewers.co.za

4. YegoBeer

YegoBeer May 6, 2015 Rwanda
    Beer Trader

Hi all this thread is quite old but I'm hoping to still get some traction. SA has a pretty decent craft brew/homebrew scene. I am currently in Rwanda and would like to start brewing here, as well as begininning a local beer club. I looked into getting materials from South africa but man if not all shops wont ship across borders. is there anyoe willing to help out:
    with any of the following:
    1. put me in contact with a business that ships internationally
    2. procure ingerdients from local shops in SA and ship to me in Rwanda (person to person) of course we will cover the cost of materials and shipping unless you are really interested in donating your time and money we would accept that too.:)
    3. any other awesome ideas would be appreciated.

cheers

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • About Us

Your go-to website for beer (since 1996), publishers of BeerAdvocate magazine (since 2006) and hosts of world-class beer events (since 2003). Respect Beer.
  • Extreme Beer FestĀ® Cometh

February 3-4, 2017. Boston, Mass. Limited tickets available. Prepare for epicness.

Learn More
  • 10 Years of BeerAdvocate Magazine

We're celebrating 10 years of BA mag with $10 print subscriptions for US residents!

Subscribe