Dismiss Notice
Subscribe to BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99! (Limited time offer, US delivery only)

Homebrews for non-IPA/bitter drinkers

Discussion in 'Homebrewing' started by Wiffler27, Jun 12, 2017.

1. Wiffler27

Wiffler27 Savant (964) Aug 16, 2009 New Jersey
    Subscriber Beer Trader

So I had a change of heart, I think I'm going with a Kolsch. i'll be using US-05 so perhaps it isn't a "true" Kolsch but i'm doing it nonetheless. would you dry hop your kolsch? as much as i wanna brew a beer for my family i'd like to add a twist to it that i enjoy.

IF you were to dry hop a Kolsch, what hop would you use? the recipe i'm using has 1oz Tradition @ 60 and 1oz Hersbrucker @ 15.

I've been intrigued by Motueka. Cascade seems to pop up alot as well.

2. Ten_SeventySix_Brewhouse

Ten_SeventySix_Brewhouse Aspirant (275) Jul 20, 2016 Arizona
    Subscriber Beer Trader

Are you not able to use liquid yeast? A German ale yeast or kolsch yeast would be ideal if you can't keep temps below 60.
    Otherwise, I'd look into w34/70. It ferments well at relatively high temperatures for a lager yeast, supposedly. Maybe also look at WLP060. White Labs says it's more "lager like" than 001 (US-05).

Wiffler27 likes this.
  3. Wiffler27

Subscriber Beer Trader

I've never used liquid yeast or done a yeast starter so I've kept it simple. I know i'll move onto liquid yeast at some point but honestly i'm ok with learning it now more than later

4. Prep8611

Prep8611 Initiate (187) Aug 22, 2014 New Jersey

05 is gonna be rough at your temps. Why spend all the money on all the malt and hops and ruin in with a yeast that isn't gonna match style and possibly give off fusels. There are a bunch of yeasts that are dry that will work better than 05 at your temps.

Wiffler27 likes this.
  5. Prep8611

Or can u get a mini fridge ?

6. Wiffler27

Subscriber Beer Trader

I'll look into alternative dry yeasts later today and i'm now looking into a chest freezer/mini fridge. i can get my hands on a new one from work at a pretty sweet deal.

7. Brewday

Brewday Initiate (162) Dec 25, 2015 New York

This Blonde ale came out really smooth. It had 4ozs cascade,williamette and simcoe during boil,10mins,5mins and dry hop.

8 lbs American Pale 2 Row
    1 lb White Wheat
    1 lb Crystal Malt 10 L
    Yeast: WLP-001 Cali Ale

8. pweis909

pweis909 Poo-Bah (1,609) Aug 13, 2005 Wisconsin
    Supporter Subscriber

The hops you suggest for dry hopping are not very Kolsch-like, and I typically do not mix more traditional German hops with more modern citrusy and tropical hops. Still, I could see it leading to a beer I would enjoy. Stylistically, with the US05 and the dry hops, it would probably be more like an American blond or a pale ale. But what's in a name?

Tread lightly with the dry hops, maybe keep it to an oz. It is not typical in the beer your family drinks, so they may not welcome it.

Wiffler27 likes this.
  9. Wiffler27

Subscriber Beer Trader

Yeah who needs labels, right? it would be a light dry hop if i decide to do it

pweis909 likes this.
  10. Prep8611

I would check letgo app. I bought an 8 Xbox ft chest freeZer used for 50 bucks. Works great.

11. scottakelly

scottakelly Devotee (482) May 9, 2007 Ohio

I'm less concerned about the dry hop than using US-05 at 75 degrees. maybe you can get some recommendations for a different dry yeast strain that does well fermenting warm. Maybe someone else can chime in?

If you want a bit of a twist on the kolsch style, Sierra Nevada made a kolsch a couple years back that, imo was fanatastic, and used some Summit hops somewhere in there (along with some noble hops). It was a nice, but restrained, twist.

Wiffler27 likes this.
  12. Prep8611

I'll say it again but m10 workhorse has been a great dry yeast for me. Used on 4 batches so far( 2 from slurry)

scottakelly likes this.
  13. JackHorzempa

JackHorzempa Poo-Bah (3,061) Dec 15, 2005 Pennsylvania
    Supporter

According to the Fermentis spec sheet this is the upper limit of the recommended range. I can report that I have brewed with US-05 around 72-73 degrees and those beers turned out well (e.g., no fermentation off-flavors). I have never fermented at the temperature of 75 so I have no experience at this exact temperature.

The only yeast strains that I am familiar with that have recommended fermentation temperatures ≥ 75 degrees F are Belgian type strains (which I would not recommend for folks who like beers like Coors Light,…)

Cheers!

14. scottakelly

Thank you for the experiential info, Jack. I have never used US-05 in the mid 70s, thus my fear for the OP going that high. Perhaps @Wiffler27 you can work up a swamp cooler and keep the temps down just a tad? Or try it as is and report back on the outcome.

On a side note, I'm not a big US-05 user, but I did learn one time not to go too low with it. I believe my fermentation temp was around 60 on an american pale ale and it had a lot of "peach" ester to it. I'm usually ok with that but this was more similar to the "artificial peach" aroma.

Wiffler27 likes this.
  15. JackHorzempa

Supporter

I use US-05 a lot. I use it for my APAs, IPAs, some DIPAs, Oatmeal Stout,... Probably 8-9 batches per year. I have never fermented anywhere near 60 degrees. Kinda weird that this clean/neutral yeast strain would produce esters at a low temperature. I do not perceive any esters when I ferment at 65-73 degrees F.

Cheers!

EvenMoreJesus and scottakelly like this.
  16. Ten_SeventySix_Brewhouse

Ten_SeventySix_Brewhouse Aspirant (275) Jul 20, 2016 Arizona
    Subscriber Beer Trader

On my 3rd ever brew and first all grain batch, I pitched one packet of US-05 into a ~1.070 wort and put it in an interior closet without any cooling method. I set my AC at 75-78 while I was home and turned it off while I was out. During the summer. In Phoenix. Granted, it was an interior closet on the first floor of an apartment building, so it was relatively well insulated, and the temperature was probably pretty stable. Still, I'd bet the fermentation temperature peaked in the mid 80s.

The yeast did its job, and I got beer. I didn't have a very experienced palate at the time so I can't speak to off-flavors, but it didn't give me bad hangovers from fusel alcohol or anything. Would I do it again? Would I recommend it? No and no. It definitely isn't even close to as good as my beers are now, but it worked.

I'd say US-05 is a fine choice, given your temperatures, assuming you use a swamp cooler or the water bucket with ice bottles method to keep the ambient (water) temp below ~70 during peak activity.

Wiffler27 likes this.
  17. Wiffler27

Subscriber Beer Trader

just as i was sure last night, i'm starting to think maybe a kolsch would be too difficult to get right here. with that being said, i think i'm now on the fence. i'd love a Kolsch but i'm worried a few things are going against me and it would come out ruined.

so far, i haven't had any problems with off-flavors, infections, or any other bad things happening to my brews. 1 came out too dark, but tasted fine. 1 had nearly no head but tasted fine. ahh the philosophy of RDWHAHB. i think i may buy a kit for a light style and go for it. i have more fun crafting an IPA recipe than any other styles.

i like planning and theorizing more than the act itself

18. Prep8611

Look up briermunchers cream of three crops.
    I had one today and man is it neutral.

Sorry they call for us-05 but I used m10 workhorse cause it's what I had a fresh slurry of.

19. inchrisin

inchrisin Defender (654) Sep 25, 2008 Indiana

This beer your brewing isn't for you. It's for them. You're going to like it because you brewed it. They're going to like it because you listened and brewed something in their wheelhouse. You've got the classic I don't like craft brew category that needs ~25 IBUs. A Saison might work if you keep it sweet. A blonde will work. A red will probably work. A wheat beer will probably work. An APA won't work. Too hoppy for the crystal police lurking. :slight_smile:

Wiffler27 likes this.
  20. EvenMoreJesus

EvenMoreJesus Devotee (464) Jun 8, 2017 Pennsylvania
    Supporter

Usually increased temperatures = increased ester formation. Maybe the peach character was from something else?

scottakelly likes this.
  21. JackHorzempa

Supporter

Yup, which is why I stated: "Kinda weird that this clean/neutral yeast strain would produce esters at a low temperature."

Cheers!

EvenMoreJesus likes this.
  22. scottakelly

I would bet the temperature. I brewed the same beer several times in a row, it was a fairly straightforward American Pale ale, and the only difference was the temperature. This was the first batch. I cranked the temp up a bit on the next batches which came out fine.

23. VikeMan

VikeMan Meyvn (1,344) Jul 12, 2009 Pennsylvania
    Beer Trader

I've seen reports before of a peach flavor with the chico strain at(particularly) low temps.

Although high esters are usually associated with high temps, the whole ester/fusel/acids/aCOA/AAT/oxygen/temperature/yeast pitch rate relationship is complex and the results are not always predictable.

24. EvenMoreJesus

EvenMoreJesus Devotee (464) Jun 8, 2017 Pennsylvania
    Supporter

As most esters are formed in the log phase and formation slows down when they reach maximum cell density, this could certainly be what occurred.

Do you have a link to those reports that you mentioned?

25. VikeMan

VikeMan Meyvn (1,344) Jul 12, 2009 Pennsylvania
    Beer Trader

No. By reports I mean mentions in forum posts. I imagine googling would produce some of them.

EvenMoreJesus likes this.
  26. Witherby

Witherby Aspirant (240) Jan 5, 2011 Massachusetts
    Subscriber

27. jakwi

jakwi Initiate (0) May 14, 2014

Centennial ale is what I brew for my inlaws. Its a simple blond ale that turns around in 2 or 3 weeks, light, and neutral. It's probably darker/stronger than the bud light they drink normally, but they don't complain. Plus it's great by the pool. If you google it, you'll find it right off.

Wiffler27 likes this.
  • About Us

Founded in Boston in 1996, BeerAdvocate (BA) is your go-to resource for beer powered by an independent community of enthusiasts and professionals dedicated to supporting and promoting better beer.

Learn More
  • Our Community

Comprised of consumers and industry professionals, many of whom started as members of this site, our community is one of the oldest, largest, and most respected beer communities online.
  • Our Events

Since 2003 we've hosted over 60 world-class beer festivals to bring awareness to independent brewers and educate attendees.
  • Our Magazine

Support uncompromising beer advocacy and award-winning, independent journalism with a print subscription to BeerAdvocate magazine.