Hoof Hearted

Discussion in 'US - Midwest' started by AlienSwineFlu, Oct 7, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CommanderOfAwesome

CommanderOfAwesome Initiate (0) Aug 30, 2012 California

Anyone know HH's schedule over the holiday week? I can't find their hours on their website.

2. Treebute

Treebute Initiate (143) Jul 13, 2011 Ohio
    Trader

Any info would be on their FB page. There schedule is kinda everywhere right now. I don't believe they would be open since it's in one of the owner's home/barn.

CommanderOfAwesome likes this.
  3. neelonjm

neelonjm Initiate (48) Jul 13, 2015 Ohio

They are canning Musk of the Minotaur 11/29, so that's the only day they will be open this week. 12-5 I believe.

CommanderOfAwesome likes this.
  4. CommanderOfAwesome

CommanderOfAwesome Initiate (0) Aug 30, 2012 California

Thanks for the info, didn't realize it was in a barn on someone's property. Doesn't look like I'll be able to make it, all well next time I'm home!

5. Blueribbon666

Blueribbon666 Zealot (532) Jul 4, 2008 Ohio

Another Ohio brewer I hope to see better distro from in NE Ohio in the future. How's their retail distro in Cbus?

6. Beef_Curtains

Beef_Curtains Initiate (0) Oct 14, 2013 Ohio

I'm an HH virgin and I'm considering attending the Musk canning Sunday. What can I expect in terms of prices? Anything else I should know?

7. JohnnyMc

JohnnyMc Initiate (0) Feb 14, 2012 Ohio

Pricing (as far as I've noticed) for 4-packs seems to be $12.99. Pints are usually $5-6 and growler fills are usually $14+, but you need to bring your own growler as they do not sell them. Also bring some lawn chairs if you plan on hanging out, food if you want it (sometimes they have a foodtruck though) and/or beer too as there are usually plenty of bottle shares. It's a great time!

Beef_Curtains likes this.
  8. 3DMan

3DMan Initiate (0) Feb 1, 2015 Michigan

Two questions:
    Is it only Sunday they open/release cans?
    Does anyone else think of that damn Extreme song when they see Hoof Hearted?

9. JohnnyMc

So far it seems to just be Sundays, although they were open for draft only on a Saturday a few weeks back.

10. invertalon

invertalon Zealot (501) Jan 27, 2009 Ohio
    Trader

How was the turnout yesterday? I assume pretty light, but just wondering.

11. JohnnyMc

Yeah, more calm and relaxed than the last haha. Me and a friend got there at 11:50 and there was a decent line, but it moved pretty quickly and nothing sold out on tap or in cans. Was another fun event, but I'm glad they had the fire barrels going because I was freezing!

12. IroquoisPlisken

IroquoisPlisken Initiate (0) May 21, 2013 Ohio

Another quality event. Looking forward to next weekend!

JohnnyMc likes this.
  13. Belle27

Belle27 Initiate (33) Jun 21, 2015 Michigan
    Trader

My apologies if this was already answered, but is HH only open on days that they have canning releases? Also, do they JUST have that one beer available? I'd really like to score some Konkey Dong, Roller Blabe and So11, but don't want to waste my time if its not even going to be there.

14. masterofsparks

masterofsparks Zealot (576) Nov 15, 2009 Ohio
    Deactivated

Yes and yes. They have other stuff on tap at the release, though.

15. trevord13

trevord13 Initiate (0) Sep 30, 2010 Virginia

Another HH virgin hoping to stop by Sunday. Will they fill 32oz growlers or only 64oz?

16. dson08

dson08 Initiate (0) Feb 28, 2014 Arizona

Just follow them on facebook if you have it and they'll usually post if there going to be open on a non-canning release and what they'll have on tap.

17. JohnnyMc

Yes, as of now, they are only open on canning days (which have all been Sundays). They usually have just one canned release (but there has been one time there were two different cans released and one time with another 750ml). You'll have to keep up with them on FB to see what they're canning next, but Roller Blabe and South of 11 maybe not be available again for awhile. Heard Konkey Dong was coming soon again.

They also usually have 4-5 other beers available on tap and most you can get growler fills of too.

18. Osubucks

Osubucks Initiate (0) May 5, 2015 Georgia

They will fill both sizes, but you'll need to bring your own as they do not sell growlers.

19. invertalon

Trader

So Everybody Wants Some canning release today... Great beer, reminded me a lot of a more bitter Blabe (which is a good thing). Nice turnout, not as hectic as Dragon Saddle, that's for sure. They didn't run out of anything as far as I am aware. The movie they played from 3-5 was a nice touch!

Konkey Dong is next Sunday.

JohnnyMc, BaronRVH and CaptCleveland like this.
  20. BaronRVH

BaronRVH Initiate (186) Jan 18, 2010 Ohio

Did you go to the canning? I did not make it but it is always an excellent time.

21. Jpinoniemi

Jpinoniemi Initiate (0) Mar 16, 2014 Ohio

Haven't had any yet, but looking forward to making a trip to the brewery.

22. BaronRVH

They always have other beers available for growler fills (bring your own, clean growler) but they vary. They are canning Konkey Dong this coming Sunday, I believe.

Remember, their new production brewery opens sometime in January, maybe early February just north of downtown Columbus on Fourth Street.

23. Wolfpac78

Wolfpac78 Initiate (128) Feb 18, 2015 Ohio
    Trader

Will Everybody wants some hit any Columbus distribution?

24. trevord13

We did make it and had a great time. Everybody Wants Some was fantastic and the bottle share was an added bonus. My only small complaint would be that I may have been charged full price to have my 32oz growlers filled. That is the only way I can figure out that 5 pints, 2 4 packs, and 2 growlers would total over $100.

Food truck was also pretty legit!

BaronRVH likes this.
  25. masterofsparks

masterofsparks Zealot (576) Nov 15, 2009 Ohio
    Deactivated

Konkey Dong this Sunday 12/13. 1 case limit.

26. CapCollector16

CapCollector16 Initiate (0) Jan 6, 2015 Ohio

I'm a decent drive from HH so if I was to come this Sunday for Konkey Dong when should I be there by?

27. xugrad13

xugrad13 Initiate (0) Jun 20, 2015 Massachusetts

Get there around 11, stand in line with some cool guys and bring a bottle or two to share. If it's a long drive I wouldn't risk getting shutout. I was there at 12:30 (waited in line for 2 hours) for Dragon saddle and got one of the last cases (drove from Cincy).

28. AlienSwineFlu

AlienSwineFlu Initiate (0) Dec 14, 2012 Ohio

Konkey Dong again this Sunday with Fruit Saxxx bottles. Gimme allllllll of dat.

JohnnyMc likes this.
  29. JohnnyMc

Can't wait for another awesome weekend at Hoof!

IroquoisPlisken likes this.
  30. BaronRVH

...Sorry! I think they've only been opened one other day that wasn't an actual canning day. Don't quote me but they do not have normal hours in Marengo. They will in Columbus starting next month!!!

31. CapCollector16

CapCollector16 Initiate (0) Jan 6, 2015 Ohio

I'll be there Sunday and I'm looking forward to some Konkey Dong in my mouth...wait what

brycevolk and meanmutt like this.
  32. beer1018

beer1018 Initiate (174) Dec 9, 2008 Ohio

looking at some pictures of various HH IPA's I notice the substantial amount of haze. Looking at Want Some it looks like straight pulpy grapefruit juice. Does anyone know if they use the same yeast as Heady Topper? (Conan)

33. trevord13

My guess would be Conan or an English strain - possible Wyeast 1318? Either way, delicious straight hop juice.

34. invertalon

Trader

I am almost positive it is the Conan strain... I kind of wish they would do an IPA with chico or something, just to see what they can pull it off without relying on that yeast (Conan) for it's particular flavor. All their IPA's basically taste the same with varying bitterness levels (IMO at least).

35. ChrisPr

ChrisPr Initiate (0) Dec 29, 2007 Oregon

I'm from Portland and had two cans of Musk of the Minotaur in Columbus this past weekend. I really like IIPAs if they aren't overly sweet or unbalanced (we can get sweet in Oregon but our breweries are masters of hopping so they aren't unbalanced if you like that style). That was a delicious beer, one of the better new IIPAs I've tried in a while for sure. I also managed to try the Jackie O's Bourbon Barrel Barleywine at the MLS Cup tailgate. Those were clearly the two best Ohio beers I had over the weekend.

jminch and marcus23 like this.
  36. queerforbeer

queerforbeer Initiate (0) Nov 4, 2014 Ohio

If you're wondering what a chico strain would be like then look no further then Musk, SoE and Dragonsaddle! Haze comes from yeast but it also comes from protein bonds, dry hopping with lots of pellets and other more detailed factors. I like how hoofy uses different yeasts to define their beer brands since the hops will always be rotating.

invertalon likes this.
  37. invertalon

Trader

@queerforbeer

Thanks for the info! I only heard they used Conan prior, so that is what I assumed. My mistake!

38. queerforbeer

queerforbeer Initiate (0) Nov 4, 2014 Ohio

No prob! Hope I didn't come across like a know-it-all douche haha. I just love talkin' beer.

39. neelonjm

neelonjm Initiate (48) Jul 13, 2015 Ohio

I'm imagining from the pictures, they didn't filter Everybody Wants Some? I wonder if I can harvest the Conan yeast from it, if that is indeed the yeast that they used.

40. trevord13

You could certainly harvest yeast from a few cans and grow a multi-step starter, but you may want someone to confirm the strain before assuming it's Conan.

BaronRVH likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.