Hoof Hearted

Discussion in 'US - Midwest' started by AlienSwineFlu, Oct 7, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mshull

Mshull Disciple (384) Mar 26, 2013 Ohio

What's everyones favorite hoof beer so far this year, I'd like to include the late December batch of konkey dong.

1. Konkey dong (12/15 batch)
    2. EWS citra
    3. EWS Simcoe
    4. roller Blabe (any batch as they've been very consistent with this one)
    5. Wet when slippery

2. Swettenham_Shire

Swettenham_Shire Initiate (0) Mar 11, 2014 Ohio

Wet When Slippery, EWS a close second, Dancin' in the Ruins

The latest string of IPA releases all tasted similar... KD, Wangbar, Jacuzzerooski, Tickling the Ivories, Blabe. I missed out on Musk, can't speak to that one.

3. Swettenham_Shire

is Hoof taking this weekend off? They deserve a break..

4. Sabtos

Sabtos Poo-Bah (10,461) Dec 15, 2015 Ohio
    Society Trader

My favorite cans this year have been:

1. South Of Eleven
    2. Cultrider
    3. Bulgin Musk
    4. Rose Gose
    5. Tickling the Ivories

If we're including the 2015 batch of KD, Konkey Dong butts into 2nd and knocks out Ivories. And if we're also including draft, Bellog slips into 3rd behind KD, while Mom Jeans just misses out, and Rose Gose is knocked out, making it look more like this:

1. South Of Eleven
    2. Konkey Dong '15
    3. Belloq
    4. Cultrider
    5. Bulgin Musk

5. gilligantrips

gilligantrips Initiate (82) Jun 4, 2015 Ohio

IMO-

1) EWS Citra (it's hard to dislike Citra)
    EWS Simcoe
    Blabe (any batch)
    Wet When Slippery
    South Of Eleven
    Rose Gose
    Tickling the Ivories
    Dancin' in the Ruins
    EWS Vic Secret
    Bulgin' Musk
    Miracle Toast
    EWS Idaho 7

I've had the majority of the releases since Feb. Idaho 7, Miracle Toast, and Bulgin' Musk were certainly lower in quality from the rest. I thought Miracle Toast was good from a single bottle, so I bought a growler that became impossible to finish (due to the strong cinnamon).

I missed the Konkey release, so I can't speak to the quality of that brew. Biggest surprises for me-- Simcoe and Rose Gose.

mjacks9 likes this.
  6. Beef_Curtains

Beef_Curtains Initiate (0) Oct 14, 2013 Ohio

Funnily enough after another inconsistency discussion, I had a Musk today for the first time since last year and I thought it was remarkably similar

JArt and fiver29 like this.
  7. gilligantrips

Wet-hopped Musk of the Minotaur coming in cans--late Sept or early October.

Add this to the list along with the South African Hopped DIPA and Austin Street Collab. Looks like an off week, but I'm hoping for a DIPA release next weekend.

JohnnyMc, Sabtos and Josbor11 like this.
  8. ScottJWing

ScottJWing Initiate (0) Aug 21, 2013 Ohio

OG wet hopped Musk was mindblowing, curious to see how the wet hops interact with the new yeast and exclusively post boil/whirlpool hopping technique.

9. Sabtos

Society Trader

Do want. Lots of wetness happening soon, would like to compare and contrast all the Ohio breweries that are doing it.

10. BigSpeen3436

BigSpeen3436 Initiate (0) Oct 23, 2013 Ohio

Hoof, Fat Heads, CBC...anyone else I'm missing? Not that I care since I'll invest heavily in those ones but still curious. I feel like Jackie O's could rock a wet hop Mandala series.

11. Josbor11

Josbor11 Initiate (0) Dec 21, 2013 Ohio

Not local but I love Founders Harvest (assuming we don't get it a month after its bottled) and Broo Doo from FFF.

12. Dan_Bowman

Dan_Bowman Initiate (0) Apr 11, 2010 Ohio

Pretty sure they did it right last for Founders Harvest. It was less than 2 weeks old when it made it here last year. Someone correct me if I am wrong.

13. Sabtos

Society Trader

And Fresh Frog :wink: I've never actually had that one fresh.

14. Nhens0016

Nhens0016 Initiate (0) Aug 23, 2013 Louisiana

I am now most interested in a wet hopped version of this beer. Had it on draft at the brew pub but I am now looking forward to this. Anyone know what hop they are looking at to put in?

15. gilligantrips

Amarillo, per Instagram.

PJ_ and Nhens0016 like this.
  16. Keffa

Keffa Defender (610) Jan 8, 2009 Ohio

Oh gawd mah balls.

17. gilligantrips

South African DIPA, "I'll Have What She's Having", to be released Sunday. Ticket allotment is 400 and they're free.

I’ll Have What She’s Having is the latest in our list of Double IPA’s. Similar in most respects to Konkey Dong, this DIPA primarily consists of South African hop varieties.

Southern Passion: a diploid seedling originating from Saaz and Hallertauer crossing. Fruity, notes of passion fruit, and slightly spicy.

African Queen: This unique hop’s profile is a balance between a fruity taste and traditional bitterness, with a tropical and citrus aroma.

18. Swettenham_Shire

Clever. Mention Konkey in the same sentence and it will be sure to sell. Hope they're right.

19. Runofthedill

Runofthedill Initiate (0) Oct 28, 2014 Ohio

will be stopping by on the way home after Wolf Ridge release. Good beer weekend.

20. Nhens0016

This interests me quite a bit, but I might just wait for the wet hop Musk release. Damn you Hoof, now I want to make the trip more often then I probably should.

21. RyanMcFly1985

RyanMcFly1985 Disciple (343) Oct 20, 2007 Ohio
    Trader

Anyone "in the know" have any idea when the wet hop Musk release might be?

22. gilligantrips

IG says late sept or early oct. I'd bet either of those weekends are fair game. The fresher the better. How long does the yeast need in an IPA? They got the hops a week ago.

Per Instagram, Miracle Toast is set to make another appearance at the brewpub on 9/24 (in cans). Limit 1 case per person. Conveniently timed with the CBC Creeper release. Hopefully they've cut back on the cinnamon and made it a bit thicker.

ohiobeer29 likes this.
  23. RyanMcFly1985

RyanMcFly1985 Disciple (343) Oct 20, 2007 Ohio
    Trader

Thank you, Gilligan

24. gilligantrips

Miracle Toast is a "2.0" version. Per a comment from HH-- "We think we made some improvements on batch 2. More oats, more maple, more vanilla, a touch of lactose, and considerably less cinnamon. Cheers!"

25. Sabtos

Society Trader

While I didn't get to try the first batch, less cinnamon is concerning. Far too many breweries say they've brewed a beer with cinnamon only for it to be snuffed out by everything else, or for it to seem artificial or holiday-ish. Suffice it to say I'm not a big fan of too many beers that purport to have cinnamon, but wishing them luck regardless.

26. AC-DCBag

AC-DCBag Initiate (0) Apr 15, 2009 Ohio

I had the first batch and would say that in this case, less cinnamon is a good thing. Is it safe to assume there will be no Marengo release on Sunday?

marcus23 likes this.
  27. Sabtos

Society Trader

You're probably right, but, if it does in fact have "More oats, more maple, more vanilla" then it could be a big swing in the other direction. Pendulum reference ftw.

28. AC-DCBag

Lmao. Hadn't thought about that.

29. BigSpeen3436

BigSpeen3436 Initiate (0) Oct 23, 2013 Ohio

Isn't I'll Have What She's Having on Sunday?

30. AC-DCBag

I was referring to 9/25 the Sunday after Miracle Toast release.

31. NABS

NABS Initiate (116) May 11, 2011 Ohio

I have never been to either location and only had 1 HH beer, but, even with "reduced" amounts of cinnamon, I'm VERY interested in Miracle Toast. Looking in to the possibility of driving down to Columbus to get this beer, hopefully more than just on tap, but as I love cinnamon in beers, I have to have this beer.

32. Cbusssted

Cbusssted Initiate (0) Jul 3, 2012 Ohio

Lol, settle down. Even if you like cinnamon beers Miracle Toast was horrible. Awful, undrinkable, even by Hoof Hearted standards. Look, it was so bad that even the most diluted, hype-driven, fart whiffing, Hoof fanatics didn't even like it.

djtothemoney and enoves24 like this.
  33. gilligantrips

Can confirm. Am a fart whiffing Hoof fanatic and I can't bring myself to finish my second bottle of MT.

My initial reaction was good to MT, but a whole growler of the stuff made it very clear that it was too thin and way too spicy with the cinnamon. If the addition of lactose makes it anything like Dancin' in the Ruins, it'll be a treat.

34. Nhens0016

Damn! Didn't realize it would sell out that quick. I was expecting to see tickets up until a couple days before. Hope it is a good treat!

35. Josbor11

Josbor11 Initiate (0) Dec 21, 2013 Ohio

I had forgotten about it and logged on around 12:30 and there were maybe 60ish left.

36. PJ_

PJ_ Initiate (152) Nov 13, 2014 Massachusetts

Are the growler prices still insanely expensive at the Brewpub? I was thinking about getting a 32 of Musk but definitely not driving there to pay a fortune.

37. Bonis

Bonis Initiate (0) Jul 28, 2010 Ohio

They've been putting out, on occasion, un-finished beer for the last couple of years. I personally think it's bad practice, but if people like to drink it, then more power to them. I don't care for hoppy yeast bombs, myself. It's unfortunate that something like this happened, but also humbling at the same time. It might be time to revisit some of their brewing SOPs.

I also heard someone got a can full of sanitizer. That's really scary....

38. invertalon

invertalon Zealot (500) Jan 27, 2009 Ohio
    Trader

First off, Dancin' was not "unfinished". It was in the tanks for weeks, over three or four weeks I believe. For a 4% ABV beer, that should ferment out completely in two or three days tops. Time was given for conditioning and then time with the adjuncts added (the likely issue here), which probably introduced some wild yeast/bacteria that once canned, continued to ferment away at sugars the ale yeast could not convert. It happens. Look at recent Jackie-O's posts on a few of their stouts going bad. AFAIK, this is the first contamination issue they have had since canning.

Secondly, their QC has improved significantly in the past few months since they have their own canning equipment now. Before, they were kind of tied into the Buckeye Canning schedule to can on a specific date or miss out on the opportunity, so while some were canned a bit early, that is not the case anymore. Ever since using their own equipment, beers have been canned when the beer was completely ready, typically days before a release to allow for further conditioning. I have not had the yeasty/hop burn sensation in a LONG time. The quality has improved drastically on that front.

Lastly, about the sanitizer, while that sucks - Scary? The sanitizer is not dangerous and food safe. You don't want to drink it, no, but it won't harm you if you take a sip. Just taste gross. Likely the equipment malfunctioned and they didn't see it before it was canned. You can't really see through a can to verify...

Oh, and you should taste some of the Treehouse Julius I picked up last weekend… Talk about a green beer, all the yeast/hop burn and “not ready yet” flavors you could want. Sitting on those a few weeks before opening others. Hoof has been FAR better than what is in those cans currently.

JohnnyMc, Sabtos and Josbor11 like this.
  39. Cbusssted

Cbusssted Initiate (0) Jul 3, 2012 Ohio

Wow, this post acknowledges everything wrong with HH and attempts to justify them to the point where you make it seem like a can of sanitizer is desirable.

PJ_, Bonis, GuyFawkes and 3 others like this.
  40. Mshull

Mshull Disciple (384) Mar 26, 2013 Ohio

The negativity on this site is becoming overwhelming. So many self-entitled a-holes anymore. I just read 2 days of complaining that trilliums cans weren't opening correctly 1/10 times. Come on guys!!!

FEUO and Sabtos like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.