Hop Butcher (2019)

Discussion in 'Great Lakes' started by ShawnoftheD3ad, Jan 10, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HawksBeerFan

HawksBeerFan Aspirant (266) Dec 24, 2011 Illinois
    Trader

I thought about picking up Galaxy Bowl Riff even though I'm not a big IPA fan and then I was like, wait, would I buy this if it didn't have Galaxy Bowl in the name? So I passed.

Milkshake IPAs... I am just over them.

2. Chris_H_2

Chris_H_2 Zealot (531) Jan 3, 2013 Illinois
    Society Trader

Watch HB put out a west coast IPA w/out lactose as one of their next offerings.

Vitacca and PhilBallins like this.
  3. HawksBeerFan

Trader

The west coat one they did a couple months back was great.

I wish HB did more non-hazy IPAs because they generally make really good beers.

4. weirdalchy

weirdalchy Initiate (110) Jan 23, 2015 Illinois
    Trader

Who's charging $18 for GBR?

DeadWax likes this.
  5. Nbrock24

Nbrock24 Disciple (358) Mar 11, 2016 Illinois
    Trader

After tax but I was probably rounding up.

6. Nbrock24

Trader

All the Marbles was solid but pretty boozy/syrupy. Not on the level of Steel Cage Match. So don’t let your fomo get you down

7. dcgunman

dcgunman Champion (842) Jul 1, 2009 California
    Trader

Flying to Chicago first week of June (Mon-Wed) for training. I’ll have Monday afternoon to hit up Chicago area. The other days not so much. I’ll be checking out spots around the Des Plaines and Schaumburg area. HB puts out cans end of the week. So getting any cans from HB is slim to none? If slim then whereabouts? Capone’s? The Beer Temple? Online? Or anyplace I can call and buy over phone and hope it’s there when I get there? Or it’s not worth the hassle? Thanks.

8. HawksBeerFan

Trader

Personally thought Steel Cage Match was gross.

Nbrock24 likes this.
  9. Nachos4two

Nachos4two Zealot (598) Nov 26, 2011 Illinois
    Trader

I got you!!

Ferocious and dcgunman like this.
  10. Chris_H_2

Society Trader

picked up a 4-pack of the galaxy bowl and without even trying it i'm already regretting it.

11. croush

croush Crusader (755) Mar 20, 2015 Illinois
    Trader

Ah yes, I know that feeling. You then just feel dead inside after drinking it. Buckle up.

Jaycase and Chris_H_2 like this.
  12. JJH1018

JJH1018 Initiate (175) Sep 13, 2013 Illinois

I'll echo what others have said. Im over the milkshake trend. I don't mind them, but I've had enough.

Jangoon24 likes this.
  13. Jangoon24

Jangoon24 Disciple (320) Jul 25, 2015 Illinois
    Trader

My face when I saw that Galaxy Bowl was being released again:
    [​IMG]

vs my face when I saw it was a milkshake version:

[​IMG]

capnmike, croush, csmakio and 7 others like this.
  14. JJH1018

You hit the nail on the head.

Jangoon24 likes this.
  15. SeanBond

SeanBond Meyvn (1,073) Jul 30, 2013 Illinois
    Trader

I like it as a change of pace, although in general I go for non-milkshake IPAs before milkshake ones. HB release enough beers now that I think it's fine if they do these every few weeks (since they're also usually one of the better versions I've run into in Chicago).

With that said, 1) I've yet to try Riff and 2) I'd really like them to hop into Sour NE IPAs like FR.

Nbrock24 and PhilBallins like this.
  16. JJH1018

Maybe I'm just burnt out on hazy's in general.

17. SeanBond

Trader

I'm half in, half out. I've been jumping back and forth because neither hazy nor non-hazy is always doing it for me lately (I've been drinking a lot of lagers, too, so that isn't helping).

I agree with the consensus about GB being a waste, though; that was the first thing I said when someone on this thread mentioned it was going to be a milkshake. It's too good of a beer to waste on adjuncts and shit, unless the regular one is also coming soon.

THANAT0PSIS likes this.
  18. Jangoon24

Trader

I see what you did there. Pun of the day goes to you

GuyFawkes and SeanBond like this.
  19. SeanBond

Trader

I love getting credit for things I didn't mean

GuyFawkes and Jangoon24 like this.
  20. KidGalaga

KidGalaga Initiate (75) Apr 21, 2014 Illinois
    Trader

let's be honest, HB is the only game in town who is putting out haze on the regular, and their stuff, while very good to great, does tend to taste similar.

of course, why wouldn't they replicate a successful model? the rest of the market seems to be falling behind, leaving us with fewer and fewer options

Hop-Trollop, THANAT0PSIS and SeanBond like this.
  21. Jangoon24

Trader

Mostly because all of the "different" offerings are essentially the same beer. All of the double IPAs are 7.5%, and all of the Pale Ales are 5.75% - leading you to believe that they just re-use the same mash bill over and over, and just hop the beer differently.

It's not a knock on them by any means, I happen to love their beers. With all the negative feedback they received a few years ago with consistency, I see no reason why they should stray away from the recipe that they've dialed in, since it still flies off the shelves.

It's like if a bakery keeps pumping out "different" cakes every day with the same cake recipe. If the only thing they do differently between cakes is change up what fruit is used in the frosting, all of the cakes, while different, are still going to taste quite similar to each other.

#941 Jangoon24, May 24, 2019
    Last edited: May 24, 2019
    PhilBallins and SeanBond like this.
  22. SeanBond

Trader

Yeah, I think it's a good call by them. This way I basically know that if I see a hop combo I want, it's probably worth grabbing. And it also means that I'm that much more curious when they stray from their usual suspects.

THANAT0PSIS and Jangoon24 like this.
  23. CityofWind_brew

CityofWind_brew Devotee (407) Jan 15, 2014 Illinois
    Trader

It borrowed the galaxy bowl name, but wasn’t similar at all

csmakio likes this.
  24. CaptainFleeker

CaptainFleeker Defender (698) Aug 27, 2012 Illinois
    Trader

Do you think this was suppose to be regular Galaxy Bowl and it didn't turn out the way they wanted so they gave it the milkshake treatment?

Quilentro likes this.
  25. ShawnoftheD3ad

ShawnoftheD3ad Initiate (196) Mar 20, 2016 Illinois
    Trader

Some places wanna be hypey for their stouts, some places wanna be hypey for their ipas.
    Mikerphone just wants to blow shit up.

26. Quilentro

Quilentro Aspirant (286) May 12, 2017 Illinois
    Trader

I like this theory

HarbaughsGrit likes this.
  27. JJH1018

All the Marbles is excellent, not sure if I'd have more than one in a sitting at 10%. Probably a good thing I only got one can.

galos11 likes this.
  28. flat_lander

flat_lander Defender (610) May 11, 2016 Illinois
    Society Trader

Sips a Bodem. I'm not sure I care about any of this...

29. Chris_H_2

Society Trader

I hope I like Galaxy Bowl.

[tries Galaxy Bowl]

[​IMG]

30. JJH1018

Fucking a right Jack. I'm sitting on the rest and drinking Bodem the rest of the long weekend. Well that and Dovetail Vienna lager.

31. SeanBond

Trader

Okay, I'll be the one guy on this thread that likes Riff, but it somewhat ironically fills the place that a sour NE IPA would take up (so I guess they anticipated I'd ask them to make one).

Also ironically, I feel like this is one HB beer that would benefit from more lactose. It's absolutely not a standard HB beer, and not even a standard milkshake.

DeadWax, diamdiam and Nbrock24 like this.
  32. Jsimansk

Jsimansk Initiate (140) Jul 10, 2012 Illinois
    Trader

I could see that happening for sure, but i believe there were rumors of this awhile ago, before the beer would have even been brewed and in the tank. Plus there’s the time needed for new art and label approval.

SeanBond likes this.
  33. Nbrock24

Trader

Yeah it’s odd that sour IPA’s haven’t taken off more in Chicagoland besides at FR (and Brian loves Hudson Valley). I liked the one from Corridor made by Roger a lot.

On another note, I’m over milkshakes like @PhilBallins but if theyre going to be around most of them are begging to be put in those little 8 ounce cans. It’s a chore for me to get through 16 ounces of something that sweet

34. SeanBond

Trader

When NE IPAs hit Chicago, people said we were like a year behind the curve; maybe that's true of the sour ones as well.

8 oz milkshakes would be good. Honestly, I'd be on board for 6 oz cans like Hopewell does for Lil Buddy.

PhilBallins and Nbrock24 like this.
  35. Nbrock24

Trader

Yeah it almost feels like Chicagoland bypassed the sour ipa and instead took ownership of the massively fruited beers that are neither hoppy nor particularly sour. More, Mikerphone, Riverlands, Penrose, etc have all made these and they vary what the fall them style-wise (ale, fruit beer, Berliner, sour). I haven’t had enough Florida-Weisses to know if they’re the same thing

SeanBond and PhilBallins like this.
  36. Chuckdiesel24

Chuckdiesel24 Meyvn (1,182) Jul 6, 2016 Illinois
    Trader

Really wish if they were gonna do the milkshake version they’d have also released it alongside regular GB. They’ve done that with 2 others - would have been a good time to do a mixed 4 pack.

My opinion is that they overdid the passionfruit portion. The first batch of GB was a peach hop revelation.

Sort of the Tree house model. Which is how they get suckers like me to buy more beers...

Some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

37. croush

croush Crusader (755) Mar 20, 2015 Illinois
    Trader

What explains the other couple of batches of GB that didn’t turn out good? :scream:

PhilBallins, Hop-Trollop and Jaycase like this.
  38. SeanBond

Trader

ONE BATCH!!! :angry:

39. dbresson

dbresson Disciple (386) Nov 25, 2007 Illinois
    Society

Solemn Oath has put out a couple sour milkshake IPAs at this point, what they're calling "tartshake" IPA. Unholy Water, it's called. Pretty good from when I've had it.

HouseofWortship and SeanBond like this.
  40. HouseofWortship

HouseofWortship Crusader (733) May 3, 2016 Illinois
    Trader

I'll wait until they put out a black sour milkshake IPA....

4truth, aussiebeer and Hop-Trollop like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.