Hop Butcher (2019)

Discussion in 'Great Lakes' started by ShawnoftheD3ad, Jan 10, 2019.

1. Scalzo

Scalzo Initiate (151) Feb 27, 2012 Illinois
    Trader

Gaffel, Reissdorf, and Fruh are all excellent kolsch options that are more traditional.

Lu is great and so is Ghost Ride. Della from OiB gets an honorable mention but its not my favorite. Shame on you for forgetting Den kolsch from Half Acre which was canned not too long ago and was extremely tasty.

Would love to try Dovetails, hoping they can some.
    ...my favorite american canned kolsch is Fine Line from Suarez

2. Nbrock24

Nbrock24 Disciple (348) Mar 11, 2016 Illinois
    Trader

Did a Hop Butcher night. Skeleton Key is definitely a nice west coaster. Hop Butcher does these really well so who cares what the Untappd ratings are. Keep me coming! Heck Yessum probably isn’t one I would buy again (just because I like most other HB beers more) though I appreciate them moving their ABV around. Duchess is solid but again probably forgettable compared to their DIPA lineup. It probably doesn’t come across but this was a nice 3 beer evening of HB

KidGalaga and GuyFawkes like this.
  3. galos11

galos11 Disciple (373) Jan 21, 2015 Illinois
    Society Trader

Looks like a new pale ale, new Pilsner and Craniac returning next week

4. Raj

Raj Aspirant (291) Jun 25, 2014 Illinois
    Trader

I’ve had a few hop butcher ipas/dipas on tap and they have been very sweet. Admittedly I like NE ipas hoppier. I had Dutchess last night and again too sweet (I get orange dreamsicle rather than orange juice).

Are there any less sweet hop butcher beers I should out for? Or should I just give up on these guys altogether?

Rimbimhoot likes this.
  5. vicodin_tears1

vicodin_tears1 Initiate (36) Jun 22, 2019 Indiana
    Trader

Did you try the new west coast style they did? Skeleton cruise? I don’t have an answer for you because I haven’t had this one ...but I’m curious if that one is too sweet for you.

6. Raj

Raj Aspirant (291) Jun 25, 2014 Illinois
    Trader

I haven’t! But I’ll keep a look out for it.

But I’m looking for different things if I knowingly order a hazy vs a west cost ipa. In my limited experience the hop butcher ipas are well made but just really sweet...

7. vicodin_tears1

Trader

Then maybe they just aren’t for you. Have you had any Hubbard’s Cave hazies? I find those to be more bitter than sweet...palate caveat applies, of course. For the record I love HB and have enjoyed most everything they’ve done (I prefer the sweeter ones).

BuffaloBill12, Raj and Nachos4two like this.
  8. whatruDOINdragic

whatruDOINdragic Initiate (151) Aug 22, 2013 Illinois
    Trader

Have you tried Pipeworks' hazies? I find them on the bitter side, relatively.

ECOBOOSTINST likes this.
  9. Jangoon24

Jangoon24 Disciple (306) Jul 25, 2015 Illinois
    Trader

If you're looking for a bitter, and less sweet NE Style, Hop Butcher is not for you. Maybe Double Grid whenever it comes back, but a fair majority of their hazy IPAs are incredibly sweet from the added lactose.

10. HouseofWortship

HouseofWortship Defender (688) May 3, 2016 Illinois
    Trader

11. miniditka77

miniditka77 Initiate (193) May 21, 2015 Illinois
    Trader

If Crainiac is on deck next, I suggest you try that one. It's probably the most bitter hazy beer I've ever tried from HB. Or at least it was. They tend to change things from batch to batch, and I feel like they have reformulated some of their more bitter beers to be more sweet in later batches.

Raj likes this.
  12. ShawnoftheD3ad

ShawnoftheD3ad Initiate (185) Mar 20, 2016 Illinois
    Trader

So..has anybody tried to call the number attached to the canning date on Duchess? Where’s it from?

13. csmakio

csmakio Initiate (133) Nov 26, 2016 Illinois

Pretty sure theres a number on Reply Hazy too, I have not tried calling.

ShawnoftheD3ad likes this.
  14. Jplachy

Jplachy Disciple (361) Feb 12, 2012 Illinois
    Trader

What’s the number?

ShawnoftheD3ad likes this.
  15. GAcosta

GAcosta Initiate (34) Dec 27, 2017 Illinois
    Trader

There was a number on the Galaxy bowl cans. Don’t remember the exact words, but it was thanking the caller for buying GB.

ECOBOOSTINST likes this.
  16. ShawnoftheD3ad

ShawnoftheD3ad Initiate (185) Mar 20, 2016 Illinois
    Trader

312-248-3613
    Lmk.

17. Coraciiformes

Coraciiformes Initiate (21) Jun 1, 2019 Illinois
    Trader

It's a Hop Butcher hotline with #fastfacts

DryHoppedUrMom and GuyFawkes like this.
  18. BillMueller

BillMueller Initiate (95) Nov 27, 2011 Indiana
    Trader

Is the pilsner on sale at 1/pp yet?

19. whatruDOINdragic

whatruDOINdragic Initiate (151) Aug 22, 2013 Illinois
    Trader

20. SeanBond

SeanBond Meyvn (1,054) Jul 30, 2013 Illinois
    Trader

And more importantly (in my opinion), a single-hopped citra IPA. I know citra's old hat now, but that's still an instant-win for me.

21. Jangoon24

Jangoon24 Disciple (306) Jul 25, 2015 Illinois
    Trader

As long as they let the citra hops do their thing, instead of covering them up with lactose, I'll be in. I hate expecting a great hop presence in a single-hopped IPA, then having the beer taste like cheap, fruity candy :slight_frown:

22. croush

croush Crusader (742) Mar 20, 2015 Illinois
    Trader

I haven't bought much beer at all lately, but need some beer for some friends coming over for my kids birthday this weekend, so decided to grab some Snorkel Squad. Citra IPA sounds great to me.

ECOBOOSTINST and GuyFawkes like this.
  23. ChiPez66

ChiPez66 Initiate (95) May 21, 2018 Illinois
    Trader

Could have grabbed some Snoker Squad. Ended up grabbing a 4 pack of Cafe Deth instead.

24. ChiPez66

ChiPez66 Initiate (95) May 21, 2018 Illinois
    Trader

Snorkel* Lol. My phone auto-corrected to Snoker for some reason.

ECOBOOSTINST likes this.
  25. HouseofWortship

Trader

Snorkel Squad is the bomb.

26. HouseofWortship

Trader

To be more detailed it's Double Grid without the mosaic flavor....

Supreme Being may be too sweet for pilsner fans. Wasn't dry enough for my liking.

ECOBOOSTINST and Nbrock24 like this.
  27. ECCS

ECCS Initiate (189) Oct 28, 2015 Illinois
    Trader

Snorkel squad and craniac are both excellent imo.

croush and Nbrock24 like this.
  28. BillMueller

BillMueller Initiate (95) Nov 27, 2011 Indiana
    Trader

29. vicodin_tears1

Trader

Really excited. One of my favorites of theirs from last year. It has a ridiculous passion fruit nose.

ECOBOOSTINST likes this.
  30. HawksBeerFan

HawksBeerFan Aspirant (254) Dec 24, 2011 Illinois
    Trader

Yeah, if the can didn't say pilsner there's no way that's what I would have pegged it as. Glad I only had one can.

HouseofWortship likes this.
  31. croush

croush Crusader (742) Mar 20, 2015 Illinois
    Trader

I really enjoyed Snorkel Squad and Craniac over the weekend. I think I'd give the nod to Snorkel Squad as the one I preferred, but both were really easy to drink.

I also had Supreme Being and didn't really find it sweet. I thought it was a pretty good pilsner but I'm nowhere near as good as others as picking out flavors from pilsners.

32. Shriner

Shriner Initiate (53) Mar 29, 2017 Illinois

My buddy LOVES Hop Butcher so he picked up a four pack of Galaxy Bowl. I stay away from their IPA's for the most part as they are too sweet for me. I was over at his place and tried one; I had to choke it down, it was that bad. In a moment of truth I did not see coming, he said, "This beer sucks" Yikes, I can't imagine they brew this again.

33. Chuckdiesel24

Chuckdiesel24 Meyvn (1,156) Jul 6, 2016 Illinois
    Trader

Pretty amazing how polarizing GB is.

ECOBOOSTINST and SeanBond like this.
  34. HawksBeerFan

HawksBeerFan Aspirant (254) Dec 24, 2011 Illinois
    Trader

I'm pretty surprised people find it awful. I thought it was very good but can see people thinking it's just like, a solid NE IPA. I'm just puzzled by those that think it's terrible.

35. SeanBond

Trader

If he loves HB, I guess I can see why he'd hate it. It's not as sweet (which is a win, imo), and it tasted a little green when I had a can last week. I'm sitting on my other 3 for this week or next, when I assume it will have evened out. And given that it's always one of their most popular beers (a lot of them sit on shelves now, this one still sells out), they'll definitely be brewing it again as soon as they can.
    It really is! There are a host of HB beers I've had that were pretty standard HB-fare to me, and yet everyone was losing their minds. And then there's GB, which I typically really actively like (though admittedly, it's different every time), and half the thread hates it. It's very interesting, and I'd be curious to know what the official aim of the beer is; are they trying to make it differently each time? Is there something inherent in the beer that's making it harder for them to keep it consistent?

Chuckdiesel24 likes this.
  36. KCUnited

KCUnited Initiate (188) Nov 11, 2014 Illinois
    Trader

95% of the time these types of discussions occur, I attribute it to palate variance, but with this round of GB I'm convinced it was can variance, at least in my case. My cans were devolving into pineapple juice soaked cardboard, no way do I believe that's how they intended the beer to be. It happens, no hard feelings. I thought Snorkel Squad was fantastic.

#1516 KCUnited, Oct 30, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 30, 2019
    KidGalaga and GuyFawkes like this.
  37. Shriner

EXACTLY KCUnited. There is no way this is palate variance. I drink every beer I open and never throw anything down the drain. No matter what I think of the beer, I can generally understand what the brewer was going for when it was brewed. This has to be can variance as no brewer would intend for a galaxy hopped DIPA to taste like this.

To clarify my previous comment, they will brew Galaxy Bowl again (assuming), but what I meant is that they will have to make changes. You can't let a beer like this get out in the public's hands, it was that bad. ...and yes, pineapple juice soaked cardboard is exactly how I would describe this.

38. KidGalaga

KidGalaga Initiate (70) Apr 21, 2014 Illinois
    Trader

It’s partly can variance, but the “good” cans I’ve had were far below previous iterations.

39. SeanBond

Trader

That sounds like exactly the palate variance we're talking, or a bad can (or cans). I'm not here to say this has been the best GB batch ever, or my favorite hazy in the city, but at no point while drinking it did I think "holy shit, how did this make it out of the brewery?"

I've had bad cans before (from HB and others), so that's definitely a possibility here.

edit: To be clear, I'm not trying to downplay your opinion; I'm just saying that I didn't find anything in the can I had to be that different from similar beers (HB or otherwise).

#1519 SeanBond, Oct 30, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 30, 2019
    GuyFawkes likes this.
  40. Shriner

No worries, I trust your opinion and that is why it has to be can variance. I am a beer lover and drink pretty much anything, I am not very picky. The cans we had, and we each had a separate can, were about as horrific as can be for an IPA. I have no doubt yours were drinkable and enjoyable. As a brewery, you simply can't have that happen because the people who had cans like me, will not be coming back...

Jaycase likes this.