Hop Butcher (2019)

Discussion in 'Great Lakes' started by ShawnoftheD3ad, Jan 10, 2019.

1. pkarch09

pkarch09 Initiate (78) Mar 22, 2010 Illinois

Having a Galaxy Bowl from the latest batch and it’s tasting like straight pineapple juice and I am here for that party.

2. Nbrock24

Nbrock24 Disciple (350) Mar 11, 2016 Illinois
    Trader

opened a can from a new 4 pack last night. I kind of got the overripe pineapple flavor which I don’t mean as a huge negative

pkarch09, galos11 and GuyFawkes like this.
  3. Nachos4two

Nachos4two Zealot (596) Nov 26, 2011 Illinois
    Trader

As well as two ther releases this week

1. Run to Daylight TIPA with Honey 10.5%
    2. The Sands Citra, Mosaic, and Sabro-Hopped APA

4. BeerPrince22

BeerPrince22 Initiate (113) Feb 21, 2016 Illinois
    Trader

Any HB drops in the city yet?

5. Shriner

Shriner Initiate (55) Mar 29, 2017 Illinois

I am a sucker for Triple IPA's and there are very few brewed so I pick them up when I see them. This one is good; obviously it leans towards the sweeter side which I knew that going in it was probably not going to be Quaanto or Dominatrix. The honey makes itself known but it is not overwhelming; awesome aroma and smooth going down. I actually would pick up more but this was basically already gone within an hour or so at Schaumburg. *If* you love Hop Butcher style IPA's, you will likely love this.

Nbrock24 and galos11 like this.
  6. Nbrock24

Trader

I don't really like Triple IPA's but I think at this point I'd call HB an exception. I'll definitely pick this one up if I can

ECOBOOSTINST likes this.
  7. galos11

galos11 Disciple (375) Jan 21, 2015 Illinois
    Society Trader

The Sands is a really flavorful pale ale. I get watermelon and a cotton candy vibes from it and am really enjoying it

[​IMG]

8. Nbrock24

Trader

The Sands is a terrific pale ale. Reminds me of prime Mosaic Pseudo Sue in some ways.

ECOBOOSTINST, jaysker95 and galos11 like this.
  9. Gambyt20

Gambyt20 Crusader (785) Jan 14, 2016 Illinois
    Trader

just echoing previous posts The Sands is a solid Pale Ale

ECOBOOSTINST and galos11 like this.
  10. HouseofWortship

HouseofWortship Crusader (708) May 3, 2016 Illinois
    Trader

I had high hopes for the Teal Ridge, but it's kind of a flat sugar flavor on first take. They are at their best when they have some sharp tangy flavor to balance it out and this one is missing it.

Nbrock24 likes this.
  11. Quilentro

Quilentro Aspirant (285) May 12, 2017 Illinois
    Trader

I decided to only buy two of the three releases, and I picked up teal ridge over sands. I wish I picked up the sands now. Teal ridge is pretty good, but I agree with your take. It’s a little muddled to my palate, and I almost get slight earthy pepper instead of sharp tang. My guess is the next 3 lucky people to pay me a visit this weekend will have that pushed on them first.

“Amnesty international? Sorry, I do all my charitable giving at year end. I’ll keep you in mind. Actually, you look over 21, want a beverage while you canvass?”

As I consider this scenario, I realize I would definitely give $20 to a random, seemingly good charity if their spokesperson was drinking an obscure craft beer.

I was ice-fishing once in Wisconsin, and some university of Wisconsin kids knocked on our shanty. We opened the door to a small group of very cold Ecology majors, who wanted to know the “size of our fish.”* We agreed to tell them, but only if they would shotgun beers with us. They said sure - I went to hand a student a PBR, and he said “naw, I’m good,” and pulled a can out of his back pocket. I’m not going to lie, I haven’t really worried about the youth of today since then.

*there’s a different, imagined story in there, but you’ll have to search for my name under LutefiskAfterHoursAdvocate.

12. Zoomslowik

Zoomslowik Disciple (304) Mar 17, 2016 Illinois
    Trader

We need a share. I've missed your semi-coherent ramblings.

13. HouseofWortship

Trader

I guess Sabro is just an extremely polarizing hop. I loved Normalize the Signs, one of their best beers with Mosaic and Sabro. The last few HB Sabro beers I've had have been close to drain pours- Preserved in the 3rd Dimension and this Sands stuff just come off as vegetal or as if something was off. It's not a flavor I'm used to and it isn't appealing. Normalize the sign had a tropical fruit vibe from mosaic that complements the tropical coconut of the sabro. These last two sabro beers the other hops fade to the back and sabro is more prominent, but not so much coconuty as some flavor I dislike and can't tell what it is.... I'd suggest HB stop using Sabro except for Normalize the Signs and even then, if that doesn't turn out let this hop die....

14. mbockstruck30

mbockstruck30 Aspirant (285) Dec 31, 2010 Illinois
    Trader

I also opted for Teal and Daylight. I have yet to enjoy one of their pales, so wasn’t going to bother with Sands. Haven’t had Teal yet, but having a Daylight now. Definitely one of the smoother triples I’ve had (alcohol very well hidden), but do wish it had more of a hop bite.

15. flat_lander

flat_lander Zealot (589) May 11, 2016 Illinois
    Society Trader

Were you fishing fishing or in a beer line "fishing"?

ECOBOOSTINST likes this.
  16. Quilentro

Quilentro Aspirant (285) May 12, 2017 Illinois
    Trader

To answer your question, I was wearing flannel-lined jeans a size too small.

17. Gambyt20

Gambyt20 Crusader (785) Jan 14, 2016 Illinois
    Trader

Daylight is a really solid triple and I am not usually a fan of TIPA, def enjoyed Sands and normally not a fan of Pale Ale, aside from Fort Point, Teal Ridge is good.

18. GuyFawkes

GuyFawkes Poo-Bah (4,202) Apr 7, 2011 Illinois
    Society Trader

19. Frankinstiener

Frankinstiener Aspirant (204) Jul 28, 2009 Illinois

Their website didn't ask me if I'm 21. These guys have no morals and a complete disregard for health and longevity of the human race.

20. HouseofWortship

Trader

What gave it away? The 8oz of lactose per can?:wink:

ECOBOOSTINST, dukeandduke and Jaycase like this.
  21. dukedevil0

dukedevil0 Devotee (445) Nov 7, 2008 Illinois

HouseofWortship and GuyFawkes like this.
  22. galos11

galos11 Disciple (375) Jan 21, 2015 Illinois
    Society Trader

I actually emailed them to ask this very question!

“We started brewing a couple batches a month out of their place so we could put more beer out and so at least some releases would be more available to those wanting to give us a try”

23. dukedevil0

dukedevil0 Devotee (445) Nov 7, 2008 Illinois

Good to know! I didn’t think the quality was any noticeably different so that’s nice too.

galos11 and GuyFawkes like this.
  24. HouseofWortship

Trader

GuyFawkes likes this.
  25. HawksBeerFan

HawksBeerFan Aspirant (263) Dec 24, 2011 Illinois
    Trader

My Hop Butcher purchases have gone down a good deal lately. Isn't their coffee stout due for a releases soon? Damn good beer.

ECOBOOSTINST likes this.
  26. PhilBallins

PhilBallins Aspirant (217) Nov 29, 2016 Illinois

New stemless purple text glass from them. They're making it hard to stop hoarding glassware

27. ChiPez66

ChiPez66 Initiate (105) May 21, 2018 Illinois
    Trader

19.2oz glass too.

GuyFawkes and PhilBallins like this.
  28. I_Have_The_Runs

I_Have_The_Runs Initiate (38) Nov 19, 2018 Illinois

Just had some Run to Daylight on tap yesterday. Holy shit is that good! That is fucking fire!

Nbrock24, HazeBro83 and SeanBond like this.
  29. Nbrock24

Trader

I opened a Teal Ridge last night and it was one of the sweetest non-milkshake IPA's I've had. It was sweeter than Brambleberry Chantilly. Usually sweetness doesn't bother me as much as others in IPA's but I think this one went over that edge

30. beardown2489

beardown2489 Disciple (389) Oct 5, 2012 Illinois

No they’ve been doing that for a while. Nobody noticed a thing. It was really impressive actually, not easy to pull that off.

DWarholia likes this.
  31. GuyFawkes

Society Trader

Lush Terrain = best Hop Butcher I've had in...years?

I think their consistency has been much better lately, but this is the first one that "wow"-ed me in a long time.

When I opened the can, the room smelled like a pineapple farm.

Nice soft mouthfeel, with bold notes of pineapple, cane sugar & some faint dry wheat on the finish.

To paraphrase the late great Dennis Green, crown its ass!!

#1551 GuyFawkes, Nov 22, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 22, 2019
    DWarholia, Nbrock24, ECCS and 3 others like this.
  32. ChiPez66

Trader

Thanks for making me go buy more beer.

Nbrock24, flat_lander and GuyFawkes like this.
  33. HouseofWortship

Trader

I had high hopes because Snorkel Squad, their precious 6.5%er was off the hook (they generally either make those 5.25% pales which are too thin for me or the 7.5ers that are pretty sweet). First thing I did was smell the beer and yeah, it smells vibrant. That being said, wasn’t what I was looking for in an Neipa. I’ll take an abrasive rind flavor, but want the abrasive pine left to west coast ipas. This had the pine flavor(says it on the label flavor chart so my fault, but was hoping for more fruit cocktail). Not a bad beer, it drinks easy, but not my bag when reaching for an neipa

GuyFawkes likes this.
  34. GuyFawkes

Society Trader

I really try to NOT look at the tasting notes on stuff like this before drinking, but I like to look afterwards. I got zero notes they suggested.

It's possible I just have a shit palate, but it's more fun for me this way.

#1554 GuyFawkes, Nov 22, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 22, 2019
    SeanBond and Nbrock24 like this.
  35. Coraciiformes

Coraciiformes Initiate (21) Jun 1, 2019 Illinois
    Trader

36. weirdalchy

weirdalchy Initiate (103) Jan 23, 2015 Illinois
    Trader

Beetus for all!

37. HarbaughsGrit

HarbaughsGrit Initiate (49) Sep 9, 2017 Michigan

Non milkshake Blazed Orange tho... ?

38. flat_lander

flat_lander Zealot (589) May 11, 2016 Illinois
    Society Trader

I sure as hell hope so.

GuyFawkes likes this.
  39. ChiPez66

Trader

flat_lander likes this.
  40. whatruDOINdragic

whatruDOINdragic Initiate (153) Aug 22, 2013 Illinois
    Trader

Blazed (was gonna put "BO" but sensed @HouseofWortship ready to pounce) this week or next?

HouseofWortship likes this.