Hop my Juniper Pale Ale

Discussion in 'Homebrewing' started by AlCaponeJunior, Jun 21, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AlCaponeJunior

AlCaponeJunior Poo-Bah (2,655) May 21, 2010 Texas
    Society

I have chinook, colombus, northern brewer, willamette, cascade to choose from. I was going to dry hop as well. Looking for pretty hoppy, but not an IPA. I have a plan, but just for kicks I'm going to offer up the chance to change it here. :sunglasses:

Simple extract pale ale. A pound of caramel malt, five pounds DME, five gallon batch. SRM 7.7, ABV 5.5%.

White Labs California Ale Yeast, with a starter.

I'm not shooting for a SUPER juniper beer, as I only have an ounce of dried juniper berries. Whatever happens, happens, so no need to over-think it. I cannot add more berries at this point. Suggestions on when and how to add entertained. :grinning:

2. barfdiggs

barfdiggs Initiate (0) Mar 22, 2011 California
    Deactivated

What are you shooting for with the beer?... thought Wilamette (slightly spicy and earthy) and chinook (Spicy, Pine) would work well with Juniper berries. Would expect some tannic flavors from the berries, so kept the IBU at the lower end per the style.

Northern Brewer (25 IBU worth) @ 60 min
    Chinook (5 IBU worth) @ 15 min
    1 oz Chinook @ FO (Do a 10-15 min hopstand with flameout additions then chill)
    1.5 oz Willamette @ FO
    0.5 oz Chinook Dry Hop
    1 oz Wilamette Dry Hop

AlCaponeJunior likes this.
  3. GreenKrusty101

GreenKrusty101 Initiate (0) Dec 4, 2008 Nevada

Chinook...check...Willamette...check...Summit maybe?

Might want to read up on Sahti from Finland...and maybe Rogue depending on what you're looking for.

Any of those you listed would probably work.

4. AlCaponeJunior

Society

You're in the lead so far. Actually, you'll probably get a bottle of it if it come out good. :grinning:

I ain't got no summit tho, so I doubt it'll be a sah'ti :stuck_out_tongue:

I plan to make the yeast starter tomorrow around noon and then brew in the morning or early afternoon on saturday.

5. barfdiggs

barfdiggs Initiate (0) Mar 22, 2011 California
    Deactivated

Nice... Finally got enough friends to come over this upcoming weekend to have a go at your massive bottle of Red Eye!

6. AlCaponeJunior

Society

ok based on barfdiggs suggestions, here's what I think I'll do...

1 oz NB at 60
    0.5 oz chinook at 15
    1 oz chinook at FO
    1.5 oz willamette at FO
    15 minute hop stand
    0.5 oz chinook DH
    1 oz willamette DH

Juniper berries at 15 min

IBUs around 40

will be blogged by morning, and underway by noon :grinning:

7. AlCaponeJunior

Society

Just got done brewing this one. Mentioned Barfdiggs for his hop schedule suggestions! Thanks man, I'll send you a bottle after it's done!

8. RichardMNixon

RichardMNixon Devotee (474) Jun 24, 2012 Pennsylvania

I'm going to try a rye/peppercorn/juniper beer as my first outside-the-kit brew with Magnum, Crystal, and Tettnang hops, but I'm stuck on what yeast to use. What made you choose California ale? I've been tossing around California common or German alt, something like WLP029 German Ale/ Kölsch Yeast.

9. SenorHops

SenorHops Initiate (0) Aug 10, 2010 Rhode Island

I just finished a Juniper Pale Ale and it came out excellent. As for the Juniper berries, I used .65 ounces (I crushed the hell out of them, soaked them in 2 ozs. of vodka for a week and dropped them in the primary for 10 days before bottling along with my dry hops). I used a little magnum for bittering, and mostly cascade and simcoe for flavor and aroma with a little galaxy in there too. I based the amount of and technique employed for the juniper berries from some information that came from the folks at Sierra Nevada for their Juniper Black Ale. By the way, mine was a 5.5 gallon batch. Hope this can help.

Oops. I see you're already done. Maybe this can help someone else. I know it can be difficult to get information on using juniper berries.

10. AlCaponeJunior

Society

Hey, I might be done, but I can still use the information for next time.

I don't expect that I'll get a huge juniper presence out of this batch, and in fact I probably don't want one. I'm still a new brewer, so I went "conservative" on the first batch with an unknown ingredient.

This beer appears to have progressed to a very fine pale ale, and it's currently still bubbling strong after two days! I really think my process is coming along, although I need to change up the hops additions slightly (technique, not quantity). This time I tried using hop bags but discovered that you need several of them, and they need to be pretty loose fitting. I had one that was too tight and it wound up coming open in the boil. No point in using bags if they don't stay closed, might as well just dump them right in!

Actually, the first couple batches I just dumped the hops right in, and strained them later, or let them settle, and it worked fine. There was some hop matter in the beer, but it wasn't bad at all. Live, learn, and brew again!

11. RichardMNixon

Either of you have any thoughts on yeast selection for one of these?

12. AlCaponeJunior

Society

I can't say that I have a great reason for choosing california ale yeast. It was listed on the recipe when I was searching, so I left it there. I'm not experienced enough to be suggesting yeast yet, but will happily post my results as they come in, and learn from threads like this one for future brewing.

13. AlCaponeJunior

Society

Honestly, part of my choice in yeast was also that I'm trying different yeasts from different companies, and wanted to try some WLP in the vials, as well as some wyeast and some dry yeast. Experimentation, you know. Liquid yeast has been doing me quite well though!

14. RichardMNixon

Sounds good, thanks. I'll see how yours goes.

15. AlCaponeJunior

Society

I will say this, after two straight days of bubbling its ass off at 67F constant ambient room temperature, it's finally slowing down after about 72 hours. This wasn't even a super fresh vial of yeast, as I didn't get to brew it as quickly as I wanted, so it sat in the fridge for a while before brewing. I made a standard 24 hour starter though, and it's doing great.

How this beer tastes however... that remains to be seen. Will report when I find out! :grinning:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.