Hop Stuff Brewery sold to Molson Coors

Discussion in 'Beer News & Releases' started by officerbill, Jul 14, 2019.

1. officerbill

officerbill Disciple (347) Feb 9, 2019 New York
    Society

2. Oktoberfiesta

Oktoberfiesta Aspirant (268) Nov 16, 2013 New Mexico

They got a million in crowdfunding and now say they can't give refunds or provide for those that helped them?

How is crowdfunding even legal? It's basically donating your money I guess

They just scammed their way to a sell out.

Wow.

3. officerbill

officerbill Disciple (347) Feb 9, 2019 New York
    Society

Hey, the investors might not get any of their money back, but they do get discounts and subscriptions. That's got to be worth 800,000£ :grin:

4. stevepat

stevepat Crusader (768) Mar 12, 2013 California
    Trader

boy that's a rough read. Sorry for the supporters but hopefully that mess of corporate speak ends up bearing some relationship to reality

officerbill likes this.
  5. PA-Michigander

PA-Michigander Meyvn (1,403) Nov 10, 2013 Pennsylvania
    Trader

Not even going to read the article, but kickstarter and its ilk are truly a donation. There are so many breweries (and other businesses) that just use it as a pure interest free loan with some gimmicks that they don't even follow through with.

tzieser, DrumKid003, MNAle and 3 others like this.
  6. muck1979

muck1979 Initiate (65) Jul 3, 2005 Minnesota

More like a principal-free loan.

cavedave and drseamus like this.
  7. stevepat

stevepat Crusader (768) Mar 12, 2013 California
    Trader

more like a pile of free money that never has to be repaid and can usually be had in trade for some stickers and apparel (getting paid by people to advertise for you!?!) Not at all surprising that so many companies go in for it, but I am always stunned by how many consumers take the bait.

Ranbot, jrnyc, rightcoast7 and 5 others like this.
  8. denver10

denver10 Poo-Bah (2,541) Nov 17, 2010 New Mexico

My initial reaction was to throw shade at them, but thinking it over and we actually don't know that he pulled a Jeffrey Loria. Did he come out ahead here or did he just get himself out from a sinking hole and cut his losses before he couldn't?

9. Oktoberfiesta

Oktoberfiesta Aspirant (268) Nov 16, 2013 New Mexico

Most investors flourish when there is a buyout or sell out. Some of these investors aren't investing in legit companies. Maybe they shouldnt be called investors but philanthropists.

If these guys made a cool profit, you think each investor would get their investment back and then some?

So how is only the owner making out?

This is still legal?

10. denver10

denver10 Poo-Bah (2,541) Nov 17, 2010 New Mexico

Depends on the reason for the buyout.

With breweries, I'd think, yes they have because its been a sellers market and when a brewery sells out they have seemed to do so on their own terms, from a position of strength.

But the market is changing and we are finally seeing a good number of breweries failing, closing shop. That could also set things up for it to become a buyers market and breweries selling out of necessity, not choice. Considering this place's history, I could see that kind of situation going on here and Molsen-Coors taking advantage of being able to buy a brewery in a market they probably are looking to expand for pennies on the dollar.

11. Bradders17

Bradders17 Initiate (27) Jul 10, 2019 Maine

12. Bradders17

Bradders17 Initiate (27) Jul 10, 2019 Maine

So crowd funding supported a start up that has now been acquired by conglomerate! I wonder how the providers of the money feel about that!

officerbill likes this.
  13. oldbean

oldbean Disciple (343) Jun 30, 2005 Massachusetts

"Hop Stuff" does seem like an appropriately low-effort name for this type of front-running corporate douchery.