Dismiss Notice
Subscribe to BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99! (Limited time offer, US delivery only)

Hopless beers?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by NoodleyOne, Mar 11, 2017.

1. NoodleyOne

NoodleyOne Initiate (100) Mar 11, 2017

Does anyone know of any good beers with no hops in it? My fioncee is allergic to hops so she can't drink most beers but she has commented that she enjoys the taste despite feeling like she's dying afterwords. And before anyone asks no, it is not a gluten allergy it is a hops allergy. You wouldn't believe how many people tell her (not ask her if) it's a gluten allergy. Thanks!

2. HomeBrewed

HomeBrewed Initiate (186) Dec 10, 2006 Minnesota
    Beer Trader

This one should be relatively easy to find, I believe.

www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile

Gruit is the style of beer you are looking for.

Sorry, apparently that link doesn't work. The beer I was suggesting is Posca Rustica by Brassiere DuPont.

#2 HomeBrewed, Mar 11, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 11, 2017
    Gemini6 and CrimeDog like this.
  3. Beef_Curtains

Beef_Curtains Devotee (450) Oct 14, 2013 Ohio
    Beer Trader

but the error page is hilarious. thank you for taking me to it.

Maestro0708, tmalt, JrGtr and 5 others like this.
  4. HomeBrewed

HomeBrewed Initiate (186) Dec 10, 2006 Minnesota
    Beer Trader

You're welcome.

tmalt and CrimeDog like this.
  5. Urk1127

Urk1127 Meyvn (1,320) Jul 2, 2014 New Jersey
    Beer Trader

Some gruit could have some hops I believe though.

drtth likes this.
  6. drtth

drtth Poo-Bah (3,223) Nov 25, 2007 Pennsylvania

Given the importance of hops to the flavors found in most beers, the simplest solution is to just stop with the beer already and move on to other beverages where hops are not used.

7. zid

zid Champion (848) Feb 15, 2010 New York
    Beer Trader

Assuming that marriage is the goal, if hops make your future wife feel like she is dying, then your best course of action is to ignore any beer recommendations. Case in point, I think Posca Rustica might have hops in it.

lester619, BeerPugz and drtth like this.
  8. Squire123

Squire123 Poo-Bah (1,603) Jul 16, 2015 Mississippi
    Supporter Subscriber Beer Trader

The World of Beer is so large I expect there is something made by someone that she could drink without a reaction but nothing specific comes to mind. Were you two guests in my house I would offer her wine or some other alternative to beer.

9. nc41

nc41 Meyvn (1,483) Sep 25, 2008 North Carolina
    Beer Trader

If beer made me that sick I'd just switch over to wine and be done with it. There's a million wines in all flavors and and price ranges. It's not worth the trouble IMO to find an alternative with no hops when the hops is a big part of beer.

BeerPugz and jmasher85 like this.
  10. 5thOhio

5thOhio Zealot (501) May 13, 2007 South Carolina

I think home brewing is your best option, but as drtth pointed out, a fermented malt beverage with no hops isn't going to taste much like beer.

lester619 and Gemini6 like this.
  11. drtth

Something I should have pointed out earlier, hops got introduced to beer because of their preservative effects in retarding spoilage. I've now had at least 3 different modern Gruits (all listed on this site) and all 3 of them have used a "handful" of hops in brewing for one reason or another. In each case that was only revealed though information found on the Brewery's web site. So as others have pointed out, the fact that a beer on this site is called a Gruit doesn't mean it has no hops.

The only way you can be sure the beverage has no hops in it is to interact directly with the brewery. As I mentioned earlier, its much simpler to just pass on beer entirely and find some other beverage to be enjoyed.

BeerPugz and zid like this.
  12. JackHorzempa

JackHorzempa Poo-Bah (3,065) Dec 15, 2005 Pennsylvania
    Supporter

13. JackHorzempa

JackHorzempa Poo-Bah (3,065) Dec 15, 2005 Pennsylvania
    Supporter

Tom, in the thread I linked above @jesskidden discussed:

“A beer brewed in the US without hops doesn't meet the TTB's legal definition of a "malt beverage" which requires…”

And:

“...so such beers (along with those that don't use barley malt) are regulated by the FDA and have to follow their labeling rules.

Many brewers would rather not have to deal with the FDA - a second, different regulatory agency with very different labeling requirements, so true "hop free" beers in the US are going to be rare unless the TTB's legal definition changes. (And the amount of hops required is so small, that it's easy to do something like use old/stale hops briefly in the boil and get very little hops flavor in the wort).”

Cheers!

14. drtth

For sure. Those are some of the reasons Caligione of Dogfish Head has publicly given for the fact that even in their Ancient Ales series they include some hops but keep it to the minimum required.

#14 drtth, Mar 11, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 11, 2017
    BeerPugz likes this.
  15. SFACRKnight

SFACRKnight Meyvn (1,069) Jan 20, 2012 Colorado
    Beer Trader

Has she seen a doctor? I found out that I have allergic reactions to specific yeast strains. Thankfully its brett strains, if it was sacc I would jump off a bridge.

nc41, zid and drtth like this.
  16. oldbean

oldbean Aspirant (232) Jun 30, 2005 Massachusetts

Most beers... does that mean there are some beers she can drink?

TongoRad likes this.
  17. dlcarst

dlcarst Aspirant (255) Aug 21, 2015 Illinois
    Subscriber Beer Trader

Take a trip to Scratch Brewing in southern Illinois...they make several, but they don't bottle much.

spaceman24 likes this.
  18. MikeP64

MikeP64 Aspirant (211) Jan 24, 2015 South Carolina

Bud-Bud light-Miller lite-Keystone,etc.......

19. zid

Beer Trader

If I remember correctly, this is essentially the case with Dupont's beer.

drtth likes this.
  20. dgmirelli

dgmirelli Disciple (348) Mar 21, 2015 New York

does she have life insurance, sounds like a pretty intense Dateline episode developing, LOL

BeerPugz and SFACRKnight like this.
  21. drtth

Can you tell us how you know there are no hops at all used in their beers?

#21 drtth, Mar 11, 2017
  22. seth27

seth27 Initiate (155) Mar 16, 2015 Pennsylvania
    Beer Trader

Lambics and sours could be worth a try. I've also noticed a trend in homebrewing that people are forgoing hops in Berliner wiesse too but I don't know if that's creeped into commercial brewing at all yet.

TongoRad likes this.
  23. TongoRad

TongoRad Poo-Bah (2,035) Jun 3, 2004 New Jersey
    Supporter Beer Trader

Yeah, I think we would need more info before we could offer the most helpful suggestions.
    How do you know it's the hops?
    Is it the bittering compounds or the aromatic ones?
    Is it a true allergy or more of a sensitivity?

These answers could all lead in different directions.

24. Invinciblejets

Invinciblejets Devotee (475) Sep 29, 2014 South Carolina
    Beer Trader

I'd say switch to meads and ciders.

25. Wolfhead

Wolfhead Initiate (167) Sep 1, 2009 Illinois
    Beer Trader

26. dlcarst

Subscriber Beer Trader

Some of their beers. The description sometimes says "brewed without hops." Often the descriptions don't say that, even though they usually describe the various ingredients they use in each beer. I've had many of their beers that had absolutely no hop flavor detectable, but of course this could be a case where they add a little for preservation. And of course the beers that are brewed without hops aren't going to be pale ales and stouts. We're talking Sahti, Gruit, and sours.

drtth likes this.
  27. drtth

Thanks for the information. I didn't see any details on their web site but thought it sounded like an interesting place to be able to visit, etc. (Unfortunately I haven't been in Southern Illinois in several years and not expecting to get a chance to visit that area in the foreseeable future. :slight_frown:)

Yeah, it's the explict statement of the brewer that there are no hops that counts. Some of the Dogfish Head Ancient Ales have no noticeable hop aroma or flavor but they use as small an amount as they can so they don't have to deal with the FDA rather than the TTB.

Probably something similar with hop use in the Williams Brothers Gruits even though they are based in Scotland.

#27 drtth, Mar 11, 2017
  28. dlcarst

Subscriber Beer Trader

I'd bet any brewer small enough to make a style like gruit or sahti would be more than happy to respond if one inquired as to whether these beers are brewed with hops. If I was a brewer I might not be inclined to advertise "brewed without hops," because that would be an immediate turnoff for most beer drinkers.

29. Oktoberfiesta

Oktoberfiesta Aspirant (291) Nov 16, 2013 New Mexico
    Beer Trader

Are you sure its hops? There are many levels to not only IBU but the dry hops/varieties used. Have you tried Belgium beers like your wits or German hefeweizens.

If a very small amount of hops trigger some type of allergy, at that point, I would switch away from beer. Beer without atleast a touch of hops is NOT really beer . Even the macro crap has a sliver of hop perception. How much perception of hops can she take?

30. KingCobra686

KingCobra686 Aspirant (202) Aug 13, 2014 Connecticut
    Beer Trader

If its really that bad, she might as well skip beer and drink cider and mead and wine instead. There are plenty of cider places opening and most bars have at least one cider option, so its going to be a lot more common than seeking out eccentric beer styles.

BeerPugz likes this.
  31. Andy1010

Andy1010 Initiate (184) Jan 26, 2016 Indiana
    Beer Trader

If it doesn't have hops it's not technically beer. Hate to say it but she's probably out of luck. Could possibly try some malt liquor, or some dry hard ciders, maybe some kombucha but not going to be much like beer

32. ScaryEd

ScaryEd Meyvn (1,342) Feb 19, 2012 New Hampshire

'Sucks with 2 months on it. :stuck_out_tongue:

Prince_Casual likes this.
  33. dlcarst

Subscriber Beer Trader

Beer was brewed for thousands of years without hops. Hopped beer has only been the norm for a few hundred years.

machalel and JackHorzempa like this.
  34. zid

Beer Trader

That depends on the definition of beer that you're using.

machalel and Andy1010 like this.
  35. SFACRKnight

SFACRKnight Meyvn (1,069) Jan 20, 2012 Colorado
    Beer Trader

RHG or GTFO:rolling_eyes:

36. BeerPugz

BeerPugz Initiate (161) Dec 4, 2016 Wisconsin

Life insurance: check
    Hops: check
    Winning: check

37. Squire123

Squire123 Poo-Bah (1,603) Jul 16, 2015 Mississippi
    Supporter Subscriber Beer Trader

The Ancients referred to their grain based tipple as "strong drink". Julius Caesar called the barbarian barley brew "a high and mighty liquor". I'll bet all those ODGs (old dead guys) would've loved Steel Reserve.

38. Jaycase

Jaycase Meyvn (1,099) Jan 13, 2007 Illinois
    Beer Trader

Hopless beer or hopeless beer? Hey-oh.

zid and BeerPugz like this.
  39. MikeyBadnews

MikeyBadnews Initiate (166) Dec 10, 2013 Massachusetts

I believe in a lot of prisons they use sugar packets and fruit salad and leave it behind their toilet for a couple weeks. You could try that?

HorseheadsHophead likes this.
  40. HorseheadsHophead

HorseheadsHophead Meyvn (1,100) Sep 15, 2014 New York

Cider and mead. :rolling_eyes:

lester619 likes this.
  • About Us

Founded in Boston in 1996, BeerAdvocate (BA) is your go-to resource for beer powered by an independent community of enthusiasts and professionals dedicated to supporting and promoting better beer.

Learn More
  • Our Community

Comprised of consumers and industry professionals, many of whom started as members of this site, our community is one of the oldest, largest, and most respected beer communities online.
  • Our Events

Since 2003 we've hosted over 60 world-class beer festivals to bring awareness to independent brewers and educate attendees.
  • Our Magazine

Support uncompromising beer advocacy and award-winning, independent journalism with a print subscription to BeerAdvocate magazine.