Hopped Upstate: Rise of Hop Farming in New York

Discussion in 'Mid-Atlantic' started by Jason, Sep 24, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jason

Jason Founder (8,410) Aug 23, 1996 Massachusetts
    Fest Crew Society

JackHorzempa likes this.
  2. bosshop

bosshop Initiate (0) Sep 13, 2012 New York

I drive the roads (main and otherwise) of Upstate NY a lot (to the tune of 5-6,000 miles/month) and I've been noticing many, many hop fields popping up from the North Country (Watertown/Potsdam) through the Finger Lakes and it's pretty fuggin cool to see. I know it will be a long road back to where this area once was, but I love seeing people take interest and passion into a) the local brewing scene and b) the agriculture of the local brewing scene. Given the successes of local wineries, I'd say this in long overdue and, like the wineries, will add value to the economic infastructure of Upstate NY.

Very cool video. Thanks for sharing.

3. BadJustin

BadJustin Initiate (0) Dec 18, 2010 New York

Thanks for posting. These are all local to me and we are in the movement as well. Foothill Hops in Munnsville is 5 miles away, Wrobel Farms is 20. Both proprietors have been instrumental in mentoring the wife and I to get our operation up and running. From helping us get the poles up, to rhizomes, to the airplane wire and the list goes on and on. All in exchange for a hand at harvest time, which we would have helped with anyways.

sliverX likes this.
  4. bigflatsbeerman

bigflatsbeerman Initiate (0) Nov 2, 2005 New York

Great posting, I live in upstate NY and did not realize the depth of hop growers.

5. BadJustin

It's pretty nuts man. Especially here in Madison County. If you're ever out Hamilton/ Morrisville way lets grab a pint. Cheers!

6. 3HeadsBrewing

3HeadsBrewing Initiate (0) Sep 5, 2010 New York

Can't wait until we can start using only local hops for our beers.

Local_Yeti likes this.
  7. oberon

oberon Poo-Bah (7,860) Feb 12, 2002 North Carolina
    Society Trader

I just drove through the area this week,(Cooperstown to Buffalo) and had a local fresh hop ale from Naked Dove.Hopefully there will be alot more in the area over the next few years.

8. JackHorzempa

JackHorzempa Poo-Bah (4,940) Dec 15, 2005 Pennsylvania
    Society

That was a great video. Jason, thanks for posting that!

Cheers!

9. BadJustin

Shit you can have mine when they are done next year. I'd love to contribute to a 3hb beer. Tell Jenack to drive to my house cand grab then since he seems to go to VT every other day :wink:. Racha to Morrisville isn't that far.

10. 3HeadsBrewing

3HeadsBrewing Initiate (0) Sep 5, 2010 New York

Deal. Thanks!!!

11. Kiwi

Kiwi Initiate (125) Mar 15, 2004 New York

CNY hops growing in finger lakes towns. Lansing,Dryden, Geneva, Skaneateles, and Sheldrake

12. WassailWilly

WassailWilly Initiate (0) Sep 8, 2007 New York

Hops are being grown in Kendall ,NY also and for 2 years now my back 40 also

13. Local_Yeti

Local_Yeti Initiate (0) Sep 27, 2013 New York

Thank You for sharing this video. I live just outside Buffalo, NY and really enjoyed watching this. Now I can show my wife that it's( a idea we had for our old barn ) totally plausible ...just watch this video :slight_smile:

Cheers!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.