Hopslam 2019

Discussion in 'Beer News & Releases' started by Junior, Jan 9, 2019.

1. Junior

Junior Disciple (343) May 23, 2015 Michigan
    Trader

Has it really gotten to the point where this was released last week and there are no threads yet? Am I the only one looking forward to picking up a six pack when it hits my local store later this week?

2. MaddieMason

MaddieMason Initiate (23) Feb 9, 2017 Kentucky

Yeah just have no interest anymore. Too boozy and sweet. Was interesting to me when the shelves weren't filled with 75% IPAs. Now it's at least half of most breweries lineup.

3. maximum12

maximum12 Poo-Bah (3,951) Jan 21, 2008 Minnesota
    Trader

Look forward to Hopslam every year, though I might be able to fit only one sixer into my liver again this year. Still a great beer.

4. nc41

nc41 Poo-Bah (1,656) Sep 25, 2008 North Carolina
    Trader

No interest at all at this point, there was a day I bought two cases at a clip. That was fun. I doubt I’ll see it on tap, but I’d go for it, but at $19 a six, hell no.

5. tmalt

tmalt Initiate (76) Dec 17, 2015 Florida

overpriced

kuhndog, keithmurray and nc41 like this.
  6. IronLover

IronLover Poo-Bah (1,658) Apr 17, 2009 Pennsylvania
    Premium

It's been quite a few years since I've had this one so I may indulge. Disappointed that it is so overpriced. I recall it being around $20 last year and I passed on it. My local beer shop puts it right next to a full rack of IPAs....makes it hard to decide.

mikeinportc and Junior like this.
  7. Junior

Trader

$20 for 4-pack of 16 oz cans of NEIPA - 'What's the limit?'
    $20 for 6-pack of 12 oz cans of Hopslam - 'Pass.'

8. dlcarst

dlcarst Initiate (89) Aug 21, 2015 Illinois

And Hopslam is better than every single NEIPA I've ever tried, and most aren't even in the same league. I wish BA would ban price bitching.

9. GOBLIN

GOBLIN Meyvn (1,273) Mar 3, 2013 Ohio
    Premium Trader

Hopslam is a good beer. I certainly can tell a difference from year to year though. Sometimes it's too boozy and sometimes too sweet. But when the booze and sweetness are balanced just right and the mouthfeel is spot on, you'll be hard pressed to find a better dipa. Strange . . . I remember the 2015 release being amazing but Bells hasn't come close since.

10. JackHorzempa

JackHorzempa Poo-Bah (3,760) Dec 15, 2005 Pennsylvania
    Premium

More often than not that is my judgement as well.

Plus it is way too pricey.

Cheers!

11. Czequershuus

Czequershuus Poo-Bah (1,584) Feb 7, 2014 Minnesota

Always excited for Hopslam. I will likely get at least 2 six packs, one of the few beers I do this with.

CrimeDog, Ronmarley1 and Junior like this.
  12. stevepat

stevepat Devotee (408) Mar 12, 2013 California
    Trader

Just heard my dad is planning to send me a pack soon. I'm stoked, fresh hopslam is a treat i miss for sure

13. MistaRyte

MistaRyte Devotee (444) Jan 14, 2008 Virginia
    Trader

Hopslam is the most recognizable "DIPA/TIPA with honey". I've seen other breweries try their hand at it... Lickinghole Creek has Nuclear Nugget, DC Brau has one out.

As far as price, I guess its to compensate for the risk of bee stings while obtaining the honey.

14. Harrison8

Harrison8 Poo-Bah (2,953) Dec 6, 2015 Missouri
    Premium Trader

I've bought Hopslam every year since I started drinking craft. Last year, I was pretty fierce in my defense of it on these forums. It's the first, and one of the only, beers I've bought a matching glass for my pours, but for 2019 - I may not buy it.

Reasons are multifaceted. One, it's $20. Two, and perhaps the bigger reason, I'm cutting back while I start my training, and adding another 6 or 12 10% IPAs to the fridge just goes blatantly against that, even if it is a delicious beer. Besides, I have plenty of stock to sip through here in the meantime.

If I skip it, I'd miss it for sure, but then again, I can't say I've thought about it in the last 10 months. Perhaps that says all I need to say.

Junior likes this.
  15. GOBLIN

GOBLIN Meyvn (1,273) Mar 3, 2013 Ohio
    Premium Trader

16. craigo19

craigo19 Devotee (448) Oct 12, 2009 Michigan
    Premium

I still have yet to drink one that I've paid for, the Joy's of traveling for work. I did buy my case and will get a mini-keg.

GOBLIN and Harrison8 like this.
  17. dennis3951

dennis3951 Champion (838) Mar 6, 2008 New Jersey

I hope they ship some to NJ. I'll pick up a 6 blind.

18. Junior

Trader

According to the Bell’s website Hopslom will start shipping to New Jersey next week.

19. drunkenmess

drunkenmess Champion (828) Mar 27, 2015 Michigan
    Premium Trader

Picked up a 6er yesterday.
    Usually get 1 or 2 6er's a year.
    Last year's recipe didn't impress.
    Seems more balanced this year (imo)
    To each their own. Still a solid DIPA for what it is.

CHEERS

ECOBOOSTINST and Harrison8 like this.
  20. AZBeerDude72

AZBeerDude72 Meyvn (1,423) Jun 10, 2016 Arizona
    Premium Trader

My local World Market still has cans from last year sitting...

Bfairhurst74 and Junior like this.
  21. ypsifly

ypsifly Meyvn (1,031) Sep 22, 2004 Michigan

For most of us Hypeslam is passe and overpriced, but my phone is ringing off the hook. As soon as the local paper does a piece on it, people go nuts.

tzieser, ECOBOOSTINST, Lazhal and 2 others like this.
  22. AZBeerDude72

Premium Trader

Glad to hear this year tastes better, I was not impressed with last year at all. I will have to get a few cans when they arrive to give this years a shot.

Junior and drunkenmess like this.
  23. eppCOS

eppCOS Crusader (744) Jun 27, 2015 Colorado
    Premium

$3.33 a can - OK, I'm in.
    I mean, most taphouses now charge me $6-8 for a lesser beer anyway, so... what am I missing here? I'll pick up a sixer and that's that.
    Bit like Waldo's from L. It's enjoyable in a small, seasonal dose, and then we move on....

24. AZBeerDude72

Premium Trader

Same, the price is not an issue for me, compared to others its very reasonable. This to me is just a single pack and move on type beer.

tzieser likes this.
  25. stevepat

stevepat Devotee (408) Mar 12, 2013 California
    Trader

Ya I gotta agree with the confusion about the price complaints, this is a standout within it's style (although I agree about last year, I was not pleased) and people don't bat an eye at 20$ 4-packs of whatever new experiment from whatever hip brewery just popped up but complain about a 6 pack for the same price of a 10% DIPA from one of the most talented brewers in the game:rolling_eyes:

26. MaddieMason

MaddieMason Initiate (23) Feb 9, 2017 Kentucky

You're comparing apples and oranges.

1. You can't compare bar prices to its retail counterpart. Every beer sold in retail would obviously look like a steal.

2. Yes you're right it's $3.33 a can - and you're forced to purchase 6.

3. If I had a store that would sell me 1 can of Hopslam to take home I'd surely buy it. But paying $20 for a 6er is a hard pass for me now in this beer landscape we live in. Too much good stuff for half the price. 2010 or 11 this spiked way more curiosity from me. Maybe my beer disposable income is less than others, I don't know.

BrewmanCapote and JackHorzempa like this.
  27. Number1Framer

Number1Framer Initiate (118) Mar 13, 2016 Wisconsin
    Trader

I'll grab a single if I come across it but no way in hell do I want an entire 6er of 10% abv IPA in my fridge stealing my attention away from my other 10%abv beers. There was a time when a high abv was was selling point for me but at this point it's a reason to keep walking.

John1985 and beernuts like this.
  28. StoutElk_92

StoutElk_92 Poo-Bah (2,027) Oct 30, 2015 Massachusetts

I’m excited to try it for the first time. Bell’s distributes here now so I’m hoping we get this release. I saw it a year or two ago in NYC but it was only sold in 6 pack and it was already over 2 months old so I didn’t try it. I really like the beer that Bell’s makes. I’ll definitely be grabbing a few singles of it here if it shows up.

29. FatBoyGotSwagger

FatBoyGotSwagger Meyvn (1,136) Apr 4, 2009 Pennsylvania

I enjoyed the 6 pack of hopslam cans I drank last year. I feel like I have come full circle after trying a lot of new NEIPAS and getting jaded on them. Classics like Hopslam and Nugget Nectar are more appealing/tasty to me than ever.

30. Celtics76

Celtics76 Defender (667) Sep 5, 2011 Rhode Island

I'm in the same boat. I'm excited for Nugget Nectar again, after more or less ignoring it the last 2-3 years due to the hazy IPA takeover.

31. drunkenmess

Premium Trader

Having one right now and its really hitting the spot. A nice welcome after a wash out of NEIPAs and fruited IPAs that have flooded the market lately.
    As for the price. Just have to shop around.
    Most places are $20 a pop/6er. Also know a few places that are asking $16.99 - $18.99 a 6er. Know your bottle shops people. It makes a difference.

CHEERS

32. WIexile

WIexile Initiate (58) Jul 20, 2017 Michigan

This is 100% correct, I pick up my annual sixer for 13.99 each year. Here's hoping this years batch will be better than last.

33. TurkeysDrinkBeer

TurkeysDrinkBeer Initiate (45) Sep 8, 2018 Virginia
    Trader

Stop drinking shelf turd NEIPAs then. Hopslam is garbage compared to a well made NEIPA. Drink a NEIPA from The Veil, Tree House, Trillium, Monkish or any of the other breweries who have perfected the style and you will never waste another dollar on Hopslam.

pjeagles and Invinciblejets like this.
  34. drunkenmess

Premium Trader

Correct. Yet two different style of beers yet same genre, sir.
    Its like comparing death metal to black metal.
    Yes I agree a well made NEIPA is a great thing. Then again a well made DIPA is another. Almost like comparing a barrel aged stout to a good old fashioned stout.
    Different styles of the same genre.

CHEERS

35. Invinciblejets

Invinciblejets Devotee (451) Sep 29, 2014 South Carolina
    Trader

Ahhh the KBS of IPAs...

36. slangtruth

slangtruth Initiate (119) Jan 8, 2012 Kentucky

When Bell's first distributed to New York I drove 40 miles each way out of my way once, to try the legendary Hopslam on draft and buy some legendary Three Hearted. 3H pretty much tasted to me much like Finestkind and Hopslam was tasty but in no way was all that. Now I live in a state where both are readily available (Hopslam in season, of course) and I hardly ever buy either.

Harrison8 likes this.
  37. meefmoff

meefmoff Zealot (550) Jul 6, 2014 Massachusetts
    Premium

I don't mean this as a dig on the people in this thread that love it (I sort of enjoyed it when i lived in the midwest, but agree with others that it's a bit too sweet), but just as an observation about how capricious and arbitrary things can be...

...it's sort of amusing that a 10% DIPA brewed with honey at $20 a sixpack can be held up as a counterexample to the IPAs the kids these days are all aflutter over. If people were waiting in line at new-hip-brewery X for a beer with that description and price I suspect there would already be several threads decrying it as a sign of the impending beerocalypse :slight_smile:

38. NextBestThing

NextBestThing Initiate (177) Apr 5, 2008 New York

I think this is a little over the top and maybe slightly defensive but thank you for standing up for an all-time classic.

39. surfcaster

surfcaster Crusader (749) Apr 20, 2013 North Carolina
    Premium Trader

Annual treat that I look forwarded to revisiting every year.

40. nc41

nc41 Poo-Bah (1,656) Sep 25, 2008 North Carolina
    Trader

Depends on the neipa, a good many those are a pass as well. I know every year we go thru this, it’s changes, it hasn’t etc. I’m firmly in the it’s changed category, and not for the better.

Junior likes this.