Hopslam Sightings 2017

Discussion in 'US - Midwest' started by stretch80, Jan 2, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MaltheadWeirdo

MaltheadWeirdo Initiate (67) Nov 18, 2015 Pennsylvania

Ditto on that. It would be $12 if it were in a 4-pack -- I've bought lots of 4-packs from other breweries, some of them year-round releases or at least several month windows, that were at least that much.

2. Angerhaus

Angerhaus Crusader (736) Oct 1, 2015 Rhode Island
    Trader

You should just say Hopslam on this one. Bell's does this pricing on a lot of their "once a year" releases. The Oracle, Expedition, Java Stout, and probably others that I'm not considering are all in that price range.

miwestcoaster likes this.
  3. Mattmc1973

Mattmc1973 Initiate (120) Jun 4, 2008 Michigan

Price per ounce, it'd be a $5.50 bomber. Would anyone think a $5.50 bomber of Hopslam is exorbitant?

4. CB_Michigan

CB_Michigan Zealot (522) Sep 4, 2014 Illinois
    Society Trader

Oh no, not another bomber vs. bottle price argument. Can we have one GL thread that doesn't get into this? :slight_smile:

Back on topic, I look forward to this every year. It's no longer the mind-blowing, greatest-beer-in-the-world that I once thought it was, but it's still very good and there's just something comforting about it. Opening that first bottle brings me back to times when this hobby was simpler. This will be my first year trying to get it in IL, so I'm not quite sure what to expect but I'm guessing that I'll miss just strolling into D&W and seeing stacks of it sitting on the floor.

FBarber and croush like this.
  5. croush

croush Champion (805) Mar 20, 2015 Illinois
    Trader

It was all over the city last year, but not sure if you're in city or suburbs. Lincoln Park Binny's had it so long after release that I wasn't comfortable buying it anymore.

CB_Michigan likes this.
  6. prior2two

prior2two Devotee (400) Oct 18, 2013 Illinois
    Trader

The first week in IL, people will go nuts and it will sell out. Then the next week, a new shipment get delivered to all accounts, and it will then sit on shelves for 4 months.

You'll be able to get it no problem.

FBarber and CB_Michigan like this.
  7. PrestigeWorldwide

PrestigeWorldwide Defender (634) Sep 22, 2015 Michigan
    Trader

The last few years I have had my first hopslam at Crunchy's in East Lansing on MLK Day with a burger and fries. The experience transcends the beer alone.

There is just something about hopslam being released in Michigan in January during peak "stout season". Just kind of a refreshing tradition. Like you said, simpler times...

8. AstraXtreme

AstraXtreme Initiate (137) Mar 21, 2014 Wisconsin

I don't think the price itself is what people have a problem with. The problem is that the IPA game has boomed and there are plenty of cheaper and arguably better options out there. People now have the taste for fresh piney and tropical IPAs. Hopslam is boozy and malty and it doesn't age well since it's already malty. I'd be more inclined to buy it if it was in a bomber or a 4-pack because I just don't want 6 cans of a malty beer.

I'll continue to buy a single can or have one on tap in hopes that they changed the recipe, but that's as far as I'm willing to go. Just my $0.02, of course.

Angerhaus and GuyFawkes like this.
  9. PapaGoose03

PapaGoose03 Poo-Bah (3,727) May 30, 2005 Michigan
    Society

Bell's posted on Instagram that HopSlam is on the canning line today. Yaaay!

10. croush

Trader

Oh, so the flavors have already fallen off. :wink::grimacing::flushed:

11. HouseofWortship

HouseofWortship Meyvn (1,408) May 3, 2016 Illinois
    Society Trader

Did you crunch the numbers? Flavor= (Hype^2)- (3xFreshness)

12. ja1022

ja1022 Initiate (159) Sep 27, 2009 Indiana
    Trader

I remember when The Oracle was impossible to find in northwest Indiana and the Chicago area. Now I can find five month old 4 pack all over the place.

HouseofWortship likes this.
  13. craigo19

craigo19 Initiate (194) Oct 12, 2009 Michigan

Bells just posted that it's available at the General Store 3 case limit.

stretch80 likes this.
  14. Jmorey

Jmorey Initiate (0) Feb 10, 2015 Michigan

I hope no one needs 3 cases of hopslam for themselves :slight_smile:

Karnivool1 likes this.
  15. croush

Trader

I bought 2 cases a couple years ago, and that was difficult to actually get through. I really enjoy Hopslam, but that was too much for me. I think I went down to a case last year, and will probably go further down to 6 or 12 this year due to my storage/inventory/purchasing issues.

archiebunkerjr, FBarber and Jmorey like this.
  16. craigo19

I know the feeling, glad that they aren't doing mini-kegs this year. I will still buy my case and maybe mule some back for my friends. A group of us had a kill the mini-keg party where we killed 3 of them. It took a few days to recover from that one.

17. jdoncbus

jdoncbus Disciple (374) Jun 17, 2006 Ohio

I guess we have different opinion of "amazing." To each their own.

18. Lazhal

Lazhal Devotee (479) Mar 13, 2011 Michigan
    Trader

After years and years of this being my staple IPA, NE style IPAs have just ruined me.

This year I hope I can get a single can at a reasonable price and call it a day.

Chris_H_2 and GuyFawkes like this.
  19. ClarkstonMark

ClarkstonMark Initiate (103) Feb 21, 2016 Michigan
    Trader

Is this typically available at the Store for a couple weeks?
    Just debating on driving over from SE MI today to get a case vs waiting to see if I can get a case locally first. So if I get shut out next week, will it be available at the Store in a week or so?

20. hopfenunmaltz

hopfenunmaltz Poo-Bah (1,911) Jun 8, 2005 Michigan
    Society

I toured the Comstock brewery before Christmas. The guide said they used 292 drums of honey last year. One of those 55 gallon drums weighs about 600 lbs.

That is a lot of honey.

21. Junior

Junior Champion (853) May 23, 2015 Michigan
    Society Trader

That would be 171,000 12-oz cans of honey or over 7,000 cases.

22. prior2two

Trader

You'll be fine.

It was available in the store for a long while, and sat on grocery store shelves for months.

23. ClarkstonMark

ClarkstonMark Initiate (103) Feb 21, 2016 Michigan
    Trader

Thank, that helps. It may have sat on shelves in Illinois, but I don't recall that in SE Michigan

24. croush

Trader

I actually seem to recall it running out at the general store last year kind of quick. I know that I had a trip back to Detroit a week or two after the release, and when I called them before leaving they said they were out. I ended up stopping somewhere else in SW MI and was able to get a ton of it, though, as well as finding plenty on the shelves in Chicago afterwards.

You guys in SE MI have a whole different game to play with what hits your shelves though. As much as I talk with my wife about moving back "home" to that area, beer availability comes into my mind a lot!

25. prior2two

Trader

Hmmm. maybe I'm thinking of the year before.

I know I was there in march last year and it was all over the grocery stores though. Worst case, it should be super easy to find via beer menus if you're willing to drive.

26. PrestigeWorldwide

PrestigeWorldwide Defender (634) Sep 22, 2015 Michigan
    Trader

I think last year hopslam went quicker than expected at the general store because:

a) people were excited about the new can format
    b) mini-kegs were available (and distro of those was going to be pretty limited)

27. craigo19

Merchant's in Dearborn is releasing tonight at 6PM, limit 2 6-packs per person. A friend of mine went to Kalamazoo today and hooked me up with a case.

28. Wolfhead

Wolfhead Initiate (0) Sep 1, 2009 Illinois

I'm doing exactly this in my Hopslam clone now
    Anxious to compare

HouseofWortship likes this.
  29. Blutz

Blutz Initiate (99) Mar 25, 2014 Michigan
    Trader

Meijer in Brighton has what appears to be a couple hundred 6-packs on the floor already. And no, I'm not exaggerating. Should be plenty to go around!

Jmorey likes this.
  30. RedMedicine

RedMedicine Initiate (0) Jun 3, 2005 Oregon

Anyone seen this in Ann Arbor today?

31. Nosnum

Nosnum Initiate (0) Oct 31, 2007 Michigan

Busches on Plymouth Road in AA has a pile of it.

32. vette-ss

vette-ss Initiate (190) Nov 5, 2014 Michigan
    Trader

Saw a picture posted today from Whole Foods I believe. It was in Meijer yesterday or day before. I assume it will be all over Ann Arbor by now.

33. RedMedicine

RedMedicine Initiate (0) Jun 3, 2005 Oregon

Yeah, it's everywhere. Thanks. Bought some at Meijer and cashier said that a few hours earlier someone bought three shopping carts worth to the tune of $2,000+ :astonished:

NotHereForGold, FBarber and eppie82 like this.
  34. Bbear

Bbear Initiate (168) Oct 26, 2016 Illinois
    Trader

LOL. This has to be the funniest thing I've read in months on BA.

FBarber and meanmutt like this.
  35. Brianw508

Brianw508 Initiate (0) Apr 29, 2013 Michigan

If anyone is interested we (BoatWorks) will have it Monday afternoon at 5.

strohme2 likes this.
  36. jmich24

jmich24 Initiate (0) Jan 28, 2010 Michigan

Probably going to get resold at Pine Knob Wine Shoppe. :astonished:

37. Mikecd234

Mikecd234 Initiate (148) Jun 24, 2015 Michigan

Thanks for the tip, getting some cold now.

38. HouseofWortship

HouseofWortship Meyvn (1,408) May 3, 2016 Illinois
    Society Trader

Do you have any shopping cart limits?

JakeT469 and prior2two like this.
  39. A2HB

A2HB Initiate (0) Oct 30, 2013 Michigan

Just picked up a sixer from my local in A2. 16.99

I have to get at least one every year, this beer is sublime when fresh.

Can says packaged on 1/3/17, so yeah, get it now BA's!

40. sculls65

sculls65 Aspirant (260) Dec 15, 2008 Michigan

3 days from the canning line to my mouth. No complaints here.

Mikecd234 and A2HB like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.