Horus Aged Ales - The Convocation Club

Discussion in 'Pacific' started by wolf13, Jun 11, 2018.

1. bungletrpg

bungletrpg Initiate (132) Sep 3, 2014 California
    Trader

"One of the country's top breweries" only has 22 ratings on BeerAdvocate. Again, who?

2. IcyTrout

IcyTrout Initiate (187) Feb 1, 2018 California

Who? For one of the countries top breweries I have never heard of them.

bungletrpg likes this.
  3. SDReaper

SDReaper Defender (660) Aug 15, 2013 California
    Trader

Looking at 8th State's current on-draft list, they have a hard seltzer, hazy ipas, sour ipas, and some fruited sours. Not a stout in sight.

anvindr and dukeandduke like this.
  4. BreakingMyBalls

BreakingMyBalls Initiate (92) Apr 27, 2017 California

To be fair, a lot of people aren’t using BeerAdvocate for ratings anymore. Untappd is what most people are using these days.

https://untappd.com/TheEighthState

That’s the link to their Untappd page. Over 12,000+ ratings for the brewery on there vs 20+ on here.

They’ve also released more than a handful of stouts and barley wines that have been extremely well received. For example:
    https://untappd.com/b/the-eighth-st...aged-neck-and-neck-batch-2-purple-wax/3227979
    https://untappd.com/b/the-eighth-state-brewing-company-piece-of-future/3094785
    https://untappd.com/b/the-eighth-state-brewing-company-monolith/2841102
    https://untappd.com/b/the-eighth-state-brewing-company-time-immemorial/3321730
    https://untappd.com/b/the-eighth-state-brewing-company-microcosm-ii/3321734

I personally haven’t had anything from them, but I have heard good things from friends who have tried some of their stuff. Not trying to hype them, don’t even really care about them because so many breweries these days are pumping out amazing brews, just thought to give some prudent information on the brewery for those asking.

#884 BreakingMyBalls, Oct 29, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 29, 2019
    KevSal, m34josh, 7irondave and 8 others like this.
  5. Thenomad512

Thenomad512 Initiate (56) Mar 19, 2019 California
    Trader

"Collab from one of the country's newer and top hyped breweries". Fixed it for you.

@IcyTrout he even added in the type of coffee they used just for you!

6. dcbullet

dcbullet Initiate (130) Dec 18, 2013 California

You do realize they don't even care what the answer is, right? You went through too much effort.

Atrox77, spersichilli and IcyTrout like this.
  7. BreakingMyBalls

What they do with the information is on them, I don’t care either way. Only took me a couple minutes to pull up all that information and I barely even knew anything about the brewery. I would hope that most people do at least a little research on a brewery (or even more importantly, trying the beers themselves if they have the opportunity) before deciding their opinion on it, but that might be asking for too much.

8. Thenomad512

Trader

Worth noting bottle price has gone down to MT and BL range for this release.

9. IcyTrout

Which is? Seems BL/MT non ba stouts are around .50-.75 an oz depending on the beer. I'd be amazed if that was the case here.

10. Kavinci

Kavinci Aspirant (245) Apr 20, 2016 California
    Trader

Boom, $25 a bottle
    Honda prices for Ferrari quality!

7irondave and dcbullet like this.
  11. BreakingMyBalls

The bottle is $24 and is 22oz. Add $4.04 for tax and the Eventbrite fee, total is $28.04.

For comparison, MT non-BA 22oz stouts at between $21-24 generally, and BL’s non-BA stout 32oz crowlers are $24.

If you ask me, this release is actually relatively reasonably priced, and I have no problem admitting that the pricing on some previous releases was absurd.

12. IcyTrout

So nothing like MT prices at all. MT 22oz non ba stouts are not $20-24.

13. BreakingMyBalls

They absolutely have dropped non-BA stouts in that price range.

14. IcyTrout

They absolutely have not, and the only one that was in that range was of course a Horus collab. Here's the most recent 5 (remember these prices are tax inclusive so this is what you pay to take the bottle/can out the door). It's unfair to compare the Horus Pre tax cost to the MT tax inclusive cost. So if you are comparing that, they have never released a $20+ tax non ba stout.
    [​IMG]

15. StoutSnob40

StoutSnob40 Poo-Bah (2,208) Jan 4, 2013 California
    Trader

Man, a lot of angry people in this thread. Why do you care how we spend our money? If you think Horus beers are overpriced, inconsistent or bad, just don't buy them. Why do you have to comment on everything? Move on to the next thread.

I personally think they're great, and I'm very happy to be a member.

KevSal, m34josh, Atrox77 and 6 others like this.
  16. IcyTrout

Because we can, why do you care that others constantly voice their opinions?

17. LGHT

LGHT Devotee (464) Sep 28, 2007 California
    Society Trader

If you like PB stouts Time is the best I've tried so far. It was better than BA Jiff, BA PB / Marshmallow Popinksi, PB Noche. Highly recommend trying a bottle.

spersichilli likes this.
  18. StoutSnob40

StoutSnob40 Poo-Bah (2,208) Jan 4, 2013 California
    Trader

Geez..

19. Dka67

Dka67 Aspirant (284) Nov 27, 2014 California
    Trader

A collab with a little know brewery that has made killer stouts for a few years, named Little Cottage.

LGHT and spersichilli like this.
  20. spersichilli

spersichilli Initiate (120) Apr 26, 2018 Florida
    Trader

I mean I'd love to try it but it's a little out of my range value wise haha.

Also, just because you haven't had 8th state or heard of them doesn't mean they don't make amazing beer. Yes they are "hyped", but for good reason. Cam is making some amazing shit right now. Number of ratings on BA doesn't mean much for breweries that have come to prominence within the last year, since BA has drastically declined in the amount of reviews (especially for more limited beers) recently.

LGHT likes this.
  21. LGHT

LGHT Devotee (464) Sep 28, 2007 California
    Society Trader

Yeah they can be a bit hard to come by especially in the last few months. I think I actually had to give up a nice FL bottle BARR for it..

spersichilli likes this.
  22. Rustytacos

Rustytacos Initiate (153) Mar 19, 2018 California
    Trader

Maybe there should be a pro and anti Horus forum:grin:

23. hoppedout

hoppedout Initiate (19) Dec 10, 2018 California
    Trader

If anyone wants my allocation (4 bottles), DM me.

Rustytacos likes this.
  24. Hype_Train

Hype_Train Initiate (152) Feb 8, 2017 California

For free? Lol

310gts and IcyTrout like this.
  25. hoppedout

hoppedout Initiate (19) Dec 10, 2018 California
    Trader

At cost.

Rustytacos likes this.
  26. StoutOfIdeas

StoutOfIdeas Initiate (37) Feb 20, 2018 California
    Trader

27. annakarina

annakarina Initiate (160) Jul 29, 2016 California

Oh, surely the price can't be that b— [​IMG]

rozzom and m34josh like this.
  28. IcyTrout

Any clue what those bottles usually go for? I know his last store pick had a ~40% premium on it.

29. unlikelyspiderperson

unlikelyspiderperson Meyvn (1,097) Mar 12, 2013 California
    Society Trader

so is this a brewery or an alcohol label branding company?

m34josh and Rbarnes4381 like this.
  30. IcyTrout

Well horus doesn't actually brew any of their own beer, so definitely more of the latter than the former.

31. StoutOfIdeas

StoutOfIdeas Initiate (37) Feb 20, 2018 California
    Trader

I've never had anything from Glenallachie but did some searching for some of their 25 and 26 year old bottles. What I found were some sites that listed those bottles as well as other scotches around that age that are comparable prices to what this bottle is selling for. Ugh, always hated how pricy those older scotches can get.

32. Rbarnes4381

Rbarnes4381 Initiate (157) Oct 29, 2013 California
    Trader

So he picked a barrel from a distillery and slapped his label on it? Oh man, first the $120 mug of himself and now this. I wish I knew how to market this well.

33. Thenomad512

Trader

Somewhat of a mischaracterization I think. With the exception of the fresh ales stuff he contracted in WI.

I mean, you can go buy a barrel and try. Look at Costco/Sams brands or Trader Joe’s. All rebranded. The mug is definitely a joke though.

I found a couple similar age from the same distillery that were 240-260. Saw some others for 400-500. I don’t know whisky though so someone who does would be great to hear their thoughts.

I don’t think the 4 roses bottles they resold were at a 40% premium though.

34. IcyTrout

Nope, he does not own a brew house nor does he own fermentation equipment. He just owns barrels. All his non barrel aged beers are contract brewed at various facilities.

35. IcyTrout

Also, you're wrong on the last point. 4R barrel picks go for around 50-60 and his was sold for 100

36. Thenomad512

Trader

k so if I’m brewing at home and someone helps me brew it, does that mean they didn’t brew the beer too?

If two brewers from different breweries come together to do a collab and brew together does that mean the brewer whose equipment wasn’t used didn’t brew the beer too?

37. Thenomad512

Trader

The closest one I saw to the bottle they offered was 75 at total wine. Even then the one on total wine was not the same recipe and lower proof. If you can find a bottle for sale with the exact recipe, proof and age at 40-50 I’ll happily stand corrected.

spersichilli likes this.
  38. IcyTrout

Horus contract brews ALLLLLLLLL of the beer that he releases. Every drop. There's no disputing that fact as he DOES NOT own a brewhouse.

39. Thenomad512

Trader

I’m not disputing the fact that he doesn’t have the equipment for brewing. I’m disputing your false statement that he does not brew his beer despite using other facilities. If he never brewed any of his beer, how does he come up with the recipes? How did he develop his own Brett strains?

40. IcyTrout

Giving someone a recipe and having them brew it is totally different from coming up with a recipe and brewing it himself. He did not develop his own Brett strains lmfao.