HOTD: Cherry Adam from the wood 2/12

Discussion in 'Northwest' started by Rivenin, Feb 9, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rivenin

Rivenin Initiate (0) Aug 22, 2011 Oregon

Just thought i'd send a note for the HOTD fans. Cherry Adam is being released this Friday. Is currently on tap for drinking.
    No details on price yet.

sjantiflow likes this.
  2. m4ttj0nes

m4ttj0nes Initiate (135) Feb 21, 2012 Oregon
    Trader

bottled "still as intended" I assume.

oregonskibum likes this.
  3. Rivenin

Calm your self... no need for cursing.
    The equipment required to bottle pre carbonated beers is huge. Cost is one thing and size is another as well... and space is one thing he doesn't have much of.
    I don't get why there are so many hurt people by this... It's like a personal attack whenever someone posts anything about HOTD and starts arguments.
    If you don't enjoy the beer, then don't buy it. Its clearly stated when he has issues with bottling and lets you know before hand... if you buy it past that point, it's not his fault for you buying beer he said was flat in the first place.

4. distantmantra

distantmantra Meyvn (1,101) May 23, 2011 Washington
    Trader

I think the problem is that it's always framed as being intentional. These beers used to be carbonated, but now they're not.

And none of that excuses the absolute mess that bottled Doggie Claws has been in the recent past. And Blue Dot, both bottle and draught.

With all that said, I'm speaking with my wallet. I'm done buying HotD bottles until this is all taken care of.

RedMedicine, vurt and BBThunderbolt like this.
  5. anteater

anteater Initiate (0) Sep 10, 2012 Oregon

I wish they would just bottle Cherry Bourbon Fred, that beer is so good I would buy it carbed or flat. Cherry Adam I'll probably skip this year.

NWer and vurt like this.
  6. dphi

dphi Initiate (110) Apr 14, 2013 Oregon

I for one am flat out bubbling with excitement

motherofgod, kemoarps, NWer and 5 others like this.
  7. John_M

John_M Poo-Bah (6,807) Oct 25, 2003 Oregon
    Moderator Society Trader

Exactly. Also, if it's intentional and not an accident, then why in the past were the still beers always priced less than the carbonated versions?

I'm a HOTD fan and always have been, but that doesn't cloud my perception and judgment. At least in my experience, he's never intentionally made a still beer, and given the HOTD pricing structure, it sure seems like Alan feels the still product is inferior to the carbonated product. If there's another way to interpret his actions, I'm all ears.

Strangestbrewer, NWer and vurt like this.
  8. crusian

crusian Initiate (0) May 14, 2010 Oregon

The putin bottle actually says pours still by design on it...

vurt likes this.
  9. vurt

vurt Meyvn (1,282) Apr 11, 2004 Oregon
    Society

I'd buy Cherry Bourbon Fred, and Maple Fred would cause me to open my wallet repeatedly. But I, too, will be skipping Cherry Adam this time around.

anteater likes this.
  10. John_M

Moderator Society Trader

I'm surprised to hear that, as I actually thought the bottle I tried had some minimal carbonation in it.

11. derftron

derftron Disciple (381) Feb 8, 2012 Oregon

havent met a person that prefers a "still" beer to a carbonated one yet.

Ive met some that can tolerate it, or it doesnt "bother" them too much.

Personally, if its completely flat, that crap is getting drainpoured. In the past few years, Ive had to drain pour an Adam from the Wood, and two Super Nebulas

12. John_M

Moderator Society Trader

I was able to tolerate the AFTW still. However, the flat bottle of SN I got last year made me very sad. I couldn't drink it. I'm able to get SN on tap periodically down here in Eugene (or I can even drive up to Corvallis), but that's likely going to be the last bottle of SN I buy.

13. dphi

I emailed Block 15 about SN recently and they seemed surprised to hear about any issues with it but offered to swap out my bottles of '14 for '15. Not sure when I'll be in Corvallis again but I appreciated the way they handled it.

14. derftron

yeah it was bizarre. I got 4 bottles of SN last year. Two were perfectly carbonated and delicious. They other two were flat as water and tasted like some terrible blend of BA stout and red wine.

15. John_M

Moderator Society Trader

Unfortunately, I only got a single bottle of 2014 SN. Oh well...

After my experience, I talked to a number of folks down here about the 2014 SN. At least based on what I heard, it sounded like flat bottles of SN were a fairly common phenomenon. Given what I heard, I'm a bit surprised that Block 15 is/was completely unaware of the problem.

As derftron indicated, the flat version was completely undrinkable (IMHO).

16. jason_nwx

jason_nwx Defender (634) Sep 12, 2012 Oregon

The 2015 Adam From the Wood (not the Rye version) also clearly on the bottle said no carbonation. I drank mine last night and I really wanted a few bubbles. That would have made it perfect. The 2015 Cherry Adam made me sad. The only way I'll buy more of these bottles is if I hear they have carbonation. I didn't think I cared overly much about the carb level until HOTD started testing me.

17. Kayn169

Kayn169 Initiate (0) Jan 9, 2011 Illinois

Except that I point blank asked Alan last year on FB if in HIS opinion the beer was flat. He replied, in his opinion it was not.

RedMedicine likes this.
  18. JouerAvecLeFeu

JouerAvecLeFeu Crusader (721) Apr 17, 2015 Washington
    Trader

Yeah... I learned my lesson after I posted a HOTD release back in June... After that, I decided to keep my mouth shut.

#18 JouerAvecLeFeu, Feb 10, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 10, 2016
    Rivenin likes this.
  19. crusian

Oh, I'm a big flat beer hater. I have a soda stream

20. derftron

on a positive note. Cherry Fred from the Wood is on tap and it is quite delicious. 12% goodness

nullvoid likes this.
  21. DefenCorps

DefenCorps Poo-Bah (5,265) Jan 18, 2007 Oregon
    Society Trader

Raises my hand.

I've loved the heck out of the still 09 Cherry Adam, still Bourbon Fred FTW, still Adam FTW and still Putin. Especially the 09 Cherry Adam. I remember splitting that bottle with John way back when - I almost fell off my chair, it was that good!

22. guajolote

guajolote Aspirant (279) Sep 12, 2008 Oregon

That's odd, because before they released it last February they were very upfront about the SN bottles being flat. Maybe the person you talked to didn't work there at the time?

I did too. I opened one within a month of getting it, and it was flat but delicious. Opened one at the end of August, and it was a total drainpour. Still have two left, and I'm not holding out much hope for them. On the other hand, I opened my last SN Coffee with Elijah about a week ago, and while the coffee had pretty much completely fallen off, it had some carb and was definitely not infected.

23. dphi

I think it was more the infected/wine-y flavors than the flatness that they were surprised by.

24. derftron

I get that some people still like "still" beer.

The question is this: you actually prefer flat beer to carbonated beer? Is this also true with soda?

25. m4ttj0nes

m4ttj0nes Initiate (135) Feb 21, 2012 Oregon
    Trader

I hope everyone is sitting down when they read this....hearing reports that 2016 bottles of caftw are carbed.

26. dphi

I'm gonna laugh if it ends up being overcarbed

kemoarps likes this.
  27. crusian

I can always swirl my glass to rid of over carb...

28. maltmaster420

maltmaster420 Initiate (0) Aug 17, 2005 Oregon

You can get a Blichmann Beer Gun for under $100, and they work perfectly to pre-purge the bottles with co2 before filling. I'm sure someone could easily find a way to modify four or six of them into a home built multihead bottling contraption for under a grand.

If a brand new (at the time) place like Imperial Bottle Shop can afford to rig up a 16 tap Blichmann setup for dispensing draft beer and filling bottles with said draft beer, there shouldn't be any reason that someone who's been in business for 20+ years can't afford to do it.

I also don't buy the excuse that "bottling high abv beers is hard", when he was able to do it pretty consistently for the first 15 years he was in business.

29. RedMedicine

RedMedicine Initiate (0) Jun 3, 2005 Oregon

I don't think it's "can't" I think it's "don't want to".

maltmaster420 likes this.
  30. distantmantra

distantmantra Meyvn (1,101) May 23, 2011 Washington
    Trader

If kegs are fizzy, how about we get rid of bottles and invest in a crowler machine?

31. DefenCorps

DefenCorps Poo-Bah (5,265) Jan 18, 2007 Oregon
    Society Trader

I haven't had a soda in a couple of years, so yeah, I prefer still to sparkling water.

There are very, very few beers that, IMO, work when still - Xyauyu. Bon Chien Grand Cru. 3 Font Doesjel. Cambridge Brewing's Arquebus was particularly stunning. And yes, a few of the HotD. That's the continuum i see them on. A Flat IPA or a flat gin and tonic? no thanks. A still barleywine or Scotch? Sure.

But that said, I do wish those beers were consistent across the serving types - carbonated Adam FTW on tap and flat Adam FTW from the bottles doesn't quite make sense to be, but luckily, it works for my palate - it's easier to buy a few bottles and drink 'em at home than to drink a few glasses on tap and drive back home!

32. Rivenin

there are breweries that do it for special releases (laurelwood for example uses them) but owning one myself... they're a pain in the ass to bottle more then a few 6 packs.

i get that he wants to kick it old school and rely on bottle conditioning... coming from the home brewing world, it makes more sense to have a bottle conditioned huge beer then a carbonated beer. It doesn't even come down to carbonating 10-12% beer being rough, it's the barrel aged ones that sit around for many months and then trying to krausen them instead of re-yeasting and sugaring the batch.

With that being said, i'm going to head up to portland today and meet a friend at ecliptic for a beer and may stop over and grab a bottle... maybe... funds are tight this month!

33. crusian

Here now. Confirmed bubbles. And damn tasty. Best cherry Adam in years imo. perfect carb in the bottle I had at the bar... Alan did say carb varies so, ymmv.

muchloveforhops3 and CaptainQ like this.
  34. crusian

Wow, blue dot from the stone... Draft, not to be missed. So much melon. Also the cherry Fred wood is great. Hotd stepping it up!

muchloveforhops3 and Raimalise like this.
  35. Raimalise

Raimalise Initiate (0) Oct 27, 2014 Oregon

Loved cherry adam in bottle....no one there early so got right in. For the awesomeness of the bottle ....should definitely get your hand on some.... also cherry fred on tap....absolutely awesome fun to do a side by side

muchloveforhops3 likes this.
  36. jpbebeau

jpbebeau Initiate (0) Sep 11, 2011 Washington

Anyone going to FoDA at Fort George tomorrow that can bring along some Cherry Adam?

37. Aestro

Aestro Initiate (0) Nov 29, 2009 Oregon

The putin I tried was totally flat - and still incredible. I think it almost worked better like that, close to being a liquor. I get that not every HOTD beer should be like that, but carbonation isn't everything.

Just the same - yeah it'd be nice if even the light carbonation of the days of yore would come back. HOTD still does something special and different.

38. John_M

Moderator Society Trader

Excellent news. Will be flying back into PDX on thursday, and spending the rest of the weekend there, so will definitely stop by. Glad to here about the Cherry Fred on tap. Love that beer and have not seen it around in some time!

39. FranzBC

FranzBC Initiate (0) Apr 30, 2013 Oregon

This years Cherry Adam is fantastic! Mild carbonation and Hair of the Dog returns to producing a world class beer actually worth the price they charge. Here is to hoping this continues...

40. Rivenin

i'm not excited i missed this one :slight_frown: damn it... but alas, i was getting a house warming present from a friend at ecliptc. Maybe i'll find some around somewhere.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.