Belgium Hotels/B&Bs in Belgium

Discussion in 'Europe' started by BrewerMike, May 6, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BrewerMike

BrewerMike Initiate (0) Dec 21, 2003 Massachusetts

Hi all,
    My wife and I are planning our honeymoon. Our trip will be from July 2-17. We're starting in Paris and spending only a few days there. Then the plan is to stay in Bruges for about 3-4 nights, Ghent for 3-4 nights, and Brussels for 2ish. We're looking through a lot of our resources (online, Tim Webb book, asking people who have been), but could use some expert advice. We are not looking for cheap places but by no means extravagant. We'll be honeymooning but we don't need 5 star. Can anyone recommend nice hotels or b&b's they know in any or all of the cities we're staying in? Thanks for any help.

Mike

2. maximum12

maximum12 Poo-Bah (3,451) Jan 21, 2008 Minnesota
    Beer Trader

Mike, try vrbo.com or homeaway.com or airbnb.com. People rent out their rental properties, vacation spots, etc. at rates that are at or around what you'd pay for a blah hotel room. Great way to experience local living, & you feel much more like you're staying somewhere other than the Motel 3 down the road.

We've used these sites to stay all over the U.S. & had nothing but positive experiences. We are headed to Europe this summer for two weeks & have booked all of our places through these sites, including four nights in Brussels. So jazzed to stay at 'typical' flats in these cities, in actual neighborhoods.

Good luck & congrats! We stayed at small places in Europe on our honeymoon looong ago & had a blast.

3. msubulldog25

msubulldog25 Initiate (0) Aug 3, 2005 Oregon

Hi Mike:
    Do you have any specific brewery/beer-related questions or are you only looking for lodging advice? (Trying to add a bit of beer-focus if I can... :relaxed: )

My wife and I visited Belgium several years ago (Fall 2006) as part of a beer tour, with about 3 extra days on our own spent in Antwerp and Brussels. Beyond that, we spent time in Brugge and the Ardennes region (Bastogne) to the south. My favorite brewery stops were Caracole, Drie Fonteinen, Van Steenberge and the abbey grounds at Orval. In Brugge, definitely stop in at Bier Tempel (ask for our friend and guide, Regnier - he knows his stuff!)

I'm glad to post or send you more info via conversation.

Cheers & best wishes/congrats,
    Brian

4. DimensionX

DimensionX Initiate (0) Oct 1, 2010 Oregon

We just stayed at the Novotel in Ghent and have nothing but good things to report. Centrally located, not that expensive(I think), modern, nice, and clean. As a bonus our room had an amazing view of a gothic cathedral. Ghent is amazing, enjoy.

5. BrewerMike

BrewerMike Initiate (0) Dec 21, 2003 Massachusetts

Right now I'm just trying to square away our lodging, as it needs to get done and it's a bit overwhelming. I have a good idea of several brewery stops, but will definitely research and post again when it's time for that. Right now I just need to get our lodging set so we can feel more relaxed about that piece. Thanks for your help.

Mike

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • About Us

Founded in Boston in 1996, BeerAdvocate (BA) is your go-to resource for beer powered by an independent community of enthusiasts and professionals dedicated to supporting and promoting better beer.

Learn More
  • Our Community

Comprised of consumers and industry professionals, many of whom started as members of this site, our community is one of the oldest, largest, and most respected beer communities online.
  • Our Events

Since 2003 we've hosted over 60 world-class beer festivals to bring awareness to independent brewers and educate attendees.
  • Our Magazine

Support uncompromising beer advocacy and award-winning, independent journalism with a print subscription to BeerAdvocate magazine.