Welcome to BeerAdvocate!

Looking to talk, rate or trade beer? Join today by creating your free account.

Dismiss Notice
Curious about recent updates to the site and app? Check the Announcements forum for updates.
Dismiss Notice
Love Belgian Beer?

Join us Sep 17 in Portland, Maine for Return of the Belgian Beer Fest, featuring hundreds of authentic Belgian beers and Belgian-inspired offerings.

Tickets + more: beeradvocate.com/belgian

Hotpacking wort into a corny keg?

Discussion in 'Homebrewing' started by Homebrew42, Jun 16, 2013.

1. Homebrew42

Anyone ever hotpack wort into a corny keg? I'm talking about pouring say, 180 degree wort straight from the kettle into the keg, slapping the lid on, and letting it cool on it's own. Concerned about damage to the rubber feet and handles of the keg, could they possibly fall off? Anything else I'm not considering? Thanks.

2. kneary13

first and foremost, sanitize the shit out of that thing, incase your 180F wort doesn't kill absolutely everything living in the clean keg. i might be concerned with hot side aeration, unless you are running it through the liquid out post directly into the bottom on the keg, but that being said, there is evidence that this concept is almost a myth and you'd really have to F up and splash the crap out of it to have a negative effect.

i say go for it and report back.

3. VikeMan

Beer Trader

I haven't done this, but I know some people have cleaned/sanitized their kegs by pumping boiling/near boiling water through them, apparently without issues.

4. jlpred55

I pour 160 deg water out of my water heater straight into my kegs to soak with oxiclean and it's fine but 180 and hotter Im not sure about. No help I know. One thing is you should be fine with sanitizing since you are that hot. Are you transferring the wort to another location to ferment?

5. Homebrew42

Thanks for your input kneary13. I'm not concerned about damage to the wort, this is not meant to be a discussion about hot side aeration, my concern is whether the keg will be able to withstand the heat without some sort of damaging occurring to it. Obviously damaging the steel isn't an issue, I'm just concerned about the rubber parts falling off or the keg getting damaged in some way that I'm not considering.

kneary13 likes this.
  6. VikeMan

Beer Trader

Almost forgot. Read this...
    www.howtobrew.com
    Heh. Good to to see you back here, newbie! :)

nanobrew, ditch, pweis909 and 5 others like this.
  7. Homebrew42

Ha, thanks for the advice, I'll be sure to check that out :p

kjyost likes this.
  8. inchrisin

If it were me, I'd post on here. If I didn't get a few, 'I've done that with success' stories, I'd do a test batch with at least 4 gal of water.

I wonder what John Palmer would do....

9. HerbMeowing

Subscriber

What do you want your beer to taste like?;)

koopa and sergeantstogie like this.
  10. sergeantstogie

11. sergeantstogie

Damn now you got me thinkin! Wouldn't this also be like the ultimate whirlpool too? However, would there be any cold break?

12. skivtjerry

I've routinely sanitized cornies with 190F water, with no problems. I don't do this at home, but have grown yeast for a brewpub a few times, and we always sanitized with hot water at the brewery. I suspect that the rubber parts might come off if you immersed the entire keg in hot water but just filling it doesn't seem to be a problem.

edit: I have had the feet come off a couple of kegs for no apparent reason; at least one of them had never been heat sanitized. I reattached them with Gorilla Glue and they have been fine for the last 5-6 years.

13. inchrisin

What'd the water taste like when it came out? That's a better question than will the seals hold up?

14. skivtjerry

I never tasted it, as it was a little warm. It had no odor and the wort used to step up the yeast always tasted just fine the next week. The keg was cleaned very well before heating and use.

15. Donerik

I have used near boiling water and oxy clean several times without the rubber bits falling off. No problems to report either. HB42 good luck!

16. premierpro

Subscriber

I rinse the Iodine solution out of my kegs with 2 gallons of boiling water. I have had no issues with my kegs .

17. clearbrew

I'm not in the Corney keg business, nor do I package commercial beverages. However, I can only assume that the larger packaging companies, like Coke or Pepsi, are using some type of dishwashing machine to clean and sanitize their kegs before filling. The commercial dishwashers in restaurants run 180f. So, my guess is that you would be O.K.
    Maybe someone in the know can elaborate on this.

18. jlordi12

Beer Trader

Just out of curiosity , what are you going to do with the beer once its in the corny ?

19. Homebrew42

Ferment it.

20. jlordi12

Beer Trader

I've never heard of this. Would you transfer again or just tap keg as is?

21. OddNotion

Beer Trader

Seems to me that it would have to be transferred as the amount of yeast/trub on the bottom would be way too thick. Unless the dip tube were cut to a length that would rest above the yeast cake which would likely be a guess at best.

22. jlordi12

Beer Trader

I figured as much and did some homework and that appears to be the case.

23. Homebrew42

I would transfer again to get the beer off the yeast cake. It's not unheard of to use a corny as a fermenter.

24. OddNotion

Beer Trader

Yeah, a nice advantage of using this method is that you can ferment then use CO2 to push from a keg to another keg and introduce no oxygen in the process.

25. jamescain

Subscriber Beer Trader

I did something similar to this with my last beer. I drained my kettle directly into my corny and then pumped it through my jockey box to cool it on its way to the carboy. It worked pretty well but I need to adjust how I cool the wort. As far as I can tell there was no damage to the keg. I took it apart to clean the hop break material and the o-rings seemed fine to me.

26. GreenKrusty101

Haven't tried it yet, but cleaning the keg afterwards seems like a big negative, although as OddNotion pointed out, the oxygen exclusion should be a real plus.

27. psnydez86

Beer Trader

I wonder if adding a gallon or two of boiling water to the keg, and then sealing it would adequately sanitize/sterilize. The steam that would be trapped in the keg would probably get everything but the inside of the dip tube and liquid out post?

28. inchrisin

I'm assuming that first 30 seconds of pour is going into a mason jar for yeast washing and then you jump the rest of the beer to a second keg and you're ready to go?

29. lackenhauser

Subscriber Beer Trader

Hey nice to see you back. Who was the supplier that sold altered Cornies to be used as a fermenter? Didnt johnnylieberman use them at some point? I want to say whoever it was though they didnt have rubber parts like a handle or feet-only the seals I am thinking. I can see the pictures but not sure where I saw them.

30. Krumb

Beer Trader

i've done it a few times (transporting from a brew competition to the house). i've yet to damage the cornies.

31. rmalinowski4

Beer Trader

Im thinking this might be the perfect vessel to conduct a sour mash. Easy to purge with CO2, keep air tight and a good conductor of heat. It also fits perfectly in my ferm chamber which I can get up to 110 degrees.

32. skivtjerry

I think ChrisKennedy has done this a couple of times. You on here Chris?

NiceFly and rmalinowski4 like this.
  33. LeeryLeprechaun

I use boiling water to sanitize my kegs all the time. I add about 3 gallons of boiling water and shake the crap out of it. I then use a screw driver and push down on the posts to blow steam out of them (I burned myself the first time doing this so watch out) the point being they hold up fine to boiling temperatures.

34. ChrisKennedy

Yes, cornies are basically the ideal sour mashing vessel.

Whether or not sour mashing is the ideal souring method...

I wouldn't worry about the heat affecting the corny. It may on certain kegs soften the glue and result in the bottom rubber part falling off, but this is unlikely and the risk just seems too low to really worry about.

rmalinowski4 and NiceFly like this.
  • About Us

Your go-to website for beer (since 1996), publishers of BeerAdvocate magazine (since 2006) and hosts of world-class beer events (since 2003). Respect Beer.
  • Return of the Belgian Beer Fest

BeerAdvocate Brings its All-Belgian Fest to Portland, Maine on September 17, 2016. Tickets are on sale now.

Learn More
  • Get the Mag

Become a BeerAdvocate magazine print subscriber today.

Subscribe