1. Looking to trade some beers? Check out How to Get Started with Beer Trading.

How are you all legally shipping beer for trades?

Discussion in 'Beer Trading Talk' started by JoeAC, May 22, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rowingbrewer

rowingbrewer May 28, 2010 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

I just show the FedEx employee a notorized note from my mommy saying I have permission to ship my friends beer

2. cosmicevan

cosmicevan Dec 13, 2009 New York
    Beer Trader

...the same way i legally jaywalk (like a boss)

ILOVESTOUTS, hctap00, jrnyc and 4 others like this.
  3. Retail1LO

Retail1LO May 4, 2011 Pennsylvania

I have successfully shipped over 200 boxes of extra virgin olive oil, BBQ sauce, snow globes, and even some of those thermometers with the lil fuckin' things that float about inside.

LakerLeith and nickapalooza86 like this.
  4. EgadBananas

EgadBananas Mar 18, 2009 Louisiana

I have successfully shipped over 200 boxes of "none of FedEx's goddamn buisness!" And that is all.

5. nc41

nc41 Sep 25, 2008 North Carolina
    Beer Trader

And bubble wrap the hell out of it too and use peanuts as well, it really muffles the sound.

As far as legal, see if you can find a wine store and or beer store that ships, see if you can cut a deal for him to legally ship your stuff. I had a deal in place like this here, but it turned out he only had a license to ship wine. That killed that, but it's worth a few calls, I paid him $10 a box cash plus the shipping.

6. cavedave

cavedave Mar 12, 2009 New York
    Beer Trader

I haven't gone so far as that to bring them one, but my UPS guys would love to taste my wife's popular marinades.

Etan likes this.
  7. shuajw

shuajw Aug 12, 2007 Georgia

A FedEx employee asked me what I was shipping once, ONCE! Then right away he said I didn't need to tell him.

8. OneBeertoRTA

OneBeertoRTA Jan 2, 2010 California
    Beer Trader

I heard you can pay an extra 20 bucks for a hazmat sticker and won have to worry about anyone shaking your box or not treating it with care...

9. ForkAndSpoonOp

ForkAndSpoonOp May 4, 2011 Pennsylvania

I used to make a mean herbal vinegar. Like to start sending them out again. The vinegars. To people.

10. BrewsoBrewco

BrewsoBrewco Feb 15, 2011 Oregon

Before I started trading I had to ship a vintage bottle from the brewery I worked for at the time. The beer was obviously bad but the bottle was 15+ years old with an 1 time label and the brewery wanted it for nostalgic reasons. Went to Fedex and tried to ship. Got asked what the package was. Told them it was a beer bottle. Asked if anything was in the bottle. Said yes, but told them it wasn't even really beer at this point. Just a pile of grossness. They would not let me ship. Took the package to another shipping center and when asked i said that I was shipping "glass art that my girlfriend makes." Has been my story since.

11. evilc

evilc Jan 27, 2012 California

I'm still waiting for 1 single case of someone being prosecuted for shipping beer.

12. MordorMongo

MordorMongo Jul 19, 2009

Not sure prosecution is a concern as much as losing perhaps $100's in beer?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • About Us

Your go-to website for beer (since 1996), publishers of BeerAdvocate magazine (since 2006) and hosts of world-class beer events (since 2003). Respect Beer.
  • Return of the Belgian Beer Fest

BeerAdvocate Brings its All-Belgian Fest to Portland, Maine on September 17, 2016. Tickets are on sale now.

Learn More
  • Get the Mag

Become a BeerAdvocate magazine print subscriber today.

Subscribe