How do places get listed on city beer guides?

Discussion in 'BeerAdvocate Talk' started by Snowcrash000, Nov 19, 2019.

1. Snowcrash000

Snowcrash000 Poo-Bah (2,319) Oct 4, 2017 Germany
    Moderator Society Trader

If I go to the beer guide for Cologne, for example, only a certain amount of the places in the database will get displayed, mainly the traditional Kölsch breweries. None of the craft beer places will get displayed at all. My best bet here is that only places with a certain amount of reviews get displayed, but this seems like a really bad idea to me.

Not only does it give a very incomplete picture of the beer landscape, but how will these places get more reviews if they don't get displayed in the first place?

2. Harrison8

Harrison8 Poo-Bah (3,746) Dec 6, 2015 Missouri
    Society Trader

I've contacted @Todd about this issue. Here's what I got back:

This conversation was specifically about including another suburban city in our metro underneath the main-city's directory (other suburban cities in similar travel distances are included).

In regards to accuracy, I reported two entries that are on the opposite side of the state, but are included in our city's directory. There was no change made. Based on previous conversation, it sounds like these mistaken entries are the result of some automated process. Regardless of how it occurred, it's still misleading.

3. Todd

Todd Founder (5,895) Aug 23, 1996 California
    Staff Moderator Fest Crew Society

It's been this way since 2003. The pages were always meant to display the top places for the destination, not a complete listing. Users can use search or the directory to view all listings.
    For some destinations, displaying all places on the page is simply not feasible as there are hundreds of locations. This is why we only show the top.

Regardless, Places is dated. The entire section needs overhauling.