How do you define "craft beer"?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by Todd, Apr 1, 2021.

1. Todd

Todd Founder (6,643) Aug 23, 1996 California
    Staff Moderator Fest Crew Society Trader

Reactions to the Brewers Association Releases the Top 50 American Brewing Companies by Sales Volume for 2020 list on Facebook and Instagram (don't read the comments), plus a recent article by Evan Rail, reminded me that regardless of how organizations like the Brewers Association try to define terms like "craft brewer" and "independent beer" for the U.S., everyone will have their own definition of "craft beer" and it's going to be very different around the world.

So, how do you define "craft beer"?

2. JackHorzempa

JackHorzempa Poo-Bah (5,478) Dec 15, 2005 Pennsylvania
    Society

"So, how do you define "craft beer"?"

How is this for irony? An article I wrote entitled "What is Craft Beer?" was recently published.

https://www.morebeer.com/articles/What_Is_Craft_Beer

I have zero doubt this thread will include spirited debate.

Cheers!

3. WCKDVBZ

WCKDVBZ Meyvn (1,438) May 9, 2014 South Carolina

In my opinion, craft beer is something that is well-crafted. Beer that tastes good and that's made with good quality ingredients. Being independent or not is another "thing". Several breweries on that list are "independent", but there's nothing "craft" about them. And some that are not independent, produce very well-crafted beers.

#3 WCKDVBZ, Apr 1, 2021
    Last edited: Apr 1, 2021
  4. trparky

trparky Initiate (46) Feb 21, 2017 Ohio

My definition of "craft beer" is rather simple... anything that's not made on the scale of Budweiser (bleh!). Yeah, I know... it's rather broad definition.

BrewsOverHoes and Providence like this.
  5. teromous

teromous Poo-Bah (3,356) Mar 21, 2010 Virginia
    Society Trader

I know there will always be an industry term for craft beer but I've always considered it more of an ethos that breweries follow because they love their craft, rather than counting barrels.

6. jts211

jts211 Disciple (358) Aug 5, 2018 Pennsylvania
    Society Trader

Like you said @Todd the term “craft beer” is ambiguous. Maybe some folks associate this term with expensive beer and/or something outside what you find at chain restaurants.

7. DanielAron

DanielAron Disciple (353) May 15, 2005 Illinois
    Society Trader

Love the reference to the Kool-Aid beer discussion on this forum. Great article.

JackHorzempa likes this.
  8. Troy-Hawaii

Troy-Hawaii Meyvn (1,485) Jun 15, 2015 Hawaii
    Society

I think of craft beer as the lower volume beer where the owner is more concerned about producing a quality product rather than the cheapest beer that they can get people to buy. That is why the macrobrewers spend more of their money on advertising than they do on the ingredients that go into their beer. They produce an image that makes you think if you drink their product you can be part of the popular crowd and it works as you can see how many people drink Budweiser, Coors, and Miller at large gatherings.

On the other side I think a lot of the smaller producers call their beer craft just so that they can charge more, but when you drink it you find that they can be worse than the macrobrews.

So in the end if I think the producer crafted a good beer then I call it a craft beer.

9. zid

zid Poo-Bah (1,743) Feb 15, 2010 New York
    Society Trader

That would make Bud Ice a "craft beer." :slight_smile:

10. CabinsInTheWoods

CabinsInTheWoods Initiate (0) May 12, 2020

For me, it's any beer that meets the general ethos of the NYS Farm Brewing act:

• No less than 90% of the hops and 90% of all other ingredients must be grown in state
    • A limit of 75K finished barrels per year.
    For the purposes of this conversation, I'm willing to exclude ingredients that you cannot get in the US from the 90% rule (like coffee) and consider it more on mileage than purely geographic terms (A St. Louis brewery gets apples from an Illinois farm 10 miles away? I'm not going to nitpick that it's "not from MO") but I think at that size and ethos people are still involved in the overall manufacturing and it's not done rotely by machines and science alone.

Coolmenati and jjamadorphd like this.
  11. billandsuz

billandsuz Zealot (500) Sep 1, 2004 New York

Anything not produced by ABI, Molson Coors or Heineken?
    Or
    Anything not made within 2 miles of my front door.

You choose.

Cheers.

bubseymour likes this.
  12. JAB80104

JAB80104 Initiate (51) Mar 26, 2016 Colorado

My definition: Beers brewed with a goal to highlight or advance the brewing craftsmanship, rather than to gain novelty profits or "likes". Note that this definition would allow brewers like InBev, as well as my fav (Weldwerks) to brew craft beers

13. GoDogGo

GoDogGo Initiate (46) Apr 21, 2014 Washington

How about this: any beer that is made on a 20-barrel system or smaller can be considered a craft beer. Yes, it's arbitrary, but the point is a beer stops being "craft" when the size of the batch is designed to be a mass-marketed item. This will leave many breweries with a mix of craft/non-craft beers, like Deschutes that has a 150 barrel system for making their mainline beers such as Black Butte Porter or Fresh Squeezed IPA. However, they still make some beer on a smaller system, so they can make craft beer that has limited targeted consumers. Beer made in systems above 20 barrels really aren't going to be anything but well-established widely-distributed beer no longer considered novel. Where is the craft in that?

14. icohen82

icohen82 Initiate (67) Feb 1, 2010 New York

A craft to me implies a hobby, something only done for the love of doing it. That's what I want to taste in a "craft" beer. Something so original, so personal that the taste of the beer is uncompromising and delicious. You can travel the world and not taste anything like it.

15. marquis

marquis Champion (812) Nov 20, 2005 England

I have long argued the meaningless of the term. I recall the start of the micro revolution which was the result of the introduction of keg beer in our pubs.
    I had a favourite beer in the 1960s, the brewery was taken over and eventually closed. A brewer from there set up his own small brewery and continued to produce its beers.
    Same beer, different sized brewery Is one craft and not the other?
    The quality control of Budweiser is legendary, the result is far from my preference, but what makes it less craft if as well crafted? In fact many craft brewers learnt their trade from working there.
    There is a thing called the Turing test, if I place two beers in front of you, can you distinguish the one from the craft brewery?

fehrminator, Foyle, johnInLA and 11 others like this.
  16. nc41

nc41 Poo-Bah (2,771) Sep 25, 2008 North Carolina
    Society Trader

Nice job Jack.

JackHorzempa likes this.
  17. nc41

Society Trader

So craft beers are loosely being defined as beer being produced that uses no adjuncts? Malt,yeast, water, hops only?

What about styles outside if lagers and ales? Fruited Gose, some use sea salt, and spices. Framboise uses fruit, sours too. Farmhouse Ales use wild yeasts and what ever else is floating in the air. Stouts using chocolate, caramel, pecans, and it’s many adjuncts.

Seems the term craft is pointed strictly as differentiating between larger breweries like AB or MC producing light lagers and smaller Breweries doing the same that only use the four components. In this area there’s PA and its many forms as well.

Seems a slippery slope at best based on style and by who. The best beers fall under the term all here would call craft, some of the worst beers I’ve ever had would also be termed craft, and I’ve poured many down the drain. The bigger brewers don’t do BA stouts or Gose or Sours or Farmhouse style beers, so it’s easy there. But Michelob has experimented with some different styles. So it would appear to me the term craft is being pointed at a certain style of beer. Also quality certainly cannot be a defining term for craft beer although it’s assumed to a degree.

18. jonphisher

jonphisher Meyvn (1,276) Aug 9, 2015 New Jersey
    Society Trader

I think craft for me used to be like the counterculture of the beer world, not a great definition but that’s how I used to look at it.

Now it’s harder IMO. I say this because the same craft breweries have come full circle. Chasing profit, expanding exponentially (:wink:), and brewing beers at high prices that mostly taste the same, or not like beer at all, sound familiar?

I said something similar in another thread but it’s almost like some places have become the exact thing they were trying to be different from years ago.

19. rozzom

rozzom Meyvn (1,055) Jan 22, 2011 New York
    Trader

For me it means something more specific than just a catch all for good beer from (usually) independent breweries. If someone is coming round to my place and says they’re bringing some “craft beer” then what I would expect would be a style/sub-style of beer that’s risen to popularity over the last couple of decades from predominantly American or American craft-influenced breweries.

Craft

hill farmstead
    other half
    cloudwater
    vagabund

Excellent beer that’s not craft

tim taylor
    weihenstephaner
    cantillon
    rochefort

MikeFromMaryland likes this.
  20. jjamadorphd

jjamadorphd Poo-Bah (1,977) Jul 21, 2012 Florida
    Society Trader

For me the term "craft beer" carries a broad connotation. Anyone who home brews, and takes it seriously, is making "craft beer". Taking the time to pick the best ingredients, dabbling with experimentation of different spices, different mash temps, and so on all. IF you do this it should (hopefully) produce a beer that as tasty, if not more so, than anything massed produced or even most things you might find at your local brewery.

Along those lines, most of the local brewers in my area try to do just that - pick the best ingredients, dabble with experimentation, and yada yada. Many of their beers are what I would call craft.

So to me "craft beer" is beer any beer any style that is mindfully and carefully produced with the hopes of an enjoyable 'drink'. (In the end though, as all the reviews on this site indicate, it falls to the taste of the beholder...)

puboflyons and jonphisher like this.
  21. rozzom

rozzom Meyvn (1,055) Jan 22, 2011 New York
    Trader

@herrburgess i was trying to like your comment. Put it back! It was spot on haha

herrburgess likes this.
  22. herrburgess

herrburgess Meyvn (1,153) Nov 4, 2009 South Carolina

smartass answer: a guaranteed increase in price without a guaranteed increase in quality.

serious answer: I don't know.

23. Will_Shank

Will_Shank Initiate (38) Aug 5, 2014

For me, Craft Beer means beer made with the minimum number of ingredients and without adjuncts such as rice and potatoes. I am amazed that here in Canada, brewers are permitted to use more than 100 ingredients and they don't have to tell us what they are.

Also, craft beer is brewed in a brewery. Don't laugh. Here in Toronto there is a huge beer manufacturing place out near the airport. I worked there for years, for a contractor. People always referred to the building where their product is made and bottled as "the plant", not the brewery or brewhouse.

24. Thankin_Hank

Thankin_Hank Poo-Bah (1,966) Nov 18, 2013 Texas
    Society

Craft is not your Daddy's beer and it's not for everybody. They'll be just fine if they never drink anything besides their Lite beer from Miller for the rest of their lives. I drank Coors Light long enough to know. But Tequila and whiskey shots were also the norm. Not so much anymore. Now it's all about IPAs and I suspect that will continue for the foreseeable future. Craft beer turned me into a HOPHEAD. I'd just like to say, THANK YOU!!! My local brewer has some, IMO, fantastic IPAs. As always, so many beers and so little time. Most of us know, one must travel to find the best of the best beers, even in this country. Cheers!

25. MKozaka

MKozaka Disciple (318) Apr 25, 2006 Connecticut
    Trader

From US perspective, feels like the term is unnecessary these days. Vital decades/years ago (along with microbrewery) to distinguish from AAL and the conglomerates. Now, there are how many breweries in the US, 8k?

I’m conflicted on my personal definition. Can’t define based on size anymore.
    And many “craft” breweries produce an AAL.

Seems like anyone announcing they are into “craft” beer is just focused on the bold trends.

26. Timmybeer

Timmybeer Initiate (32) Apr 27, 2016 Georgia

One should not confuse craft beer with quality and big beer as having a lack of quality. Having done both, I can assure you and have zero doubt that big beer has a significantly stronger commitment to and history of delivering quality. By quality I mean a consistent, repeatable beer that meets the expectation of its consumer. You can argue taste, flavor, all the other attributes; but consistent production of beer is much better with the big boys. It is the reason craft beers don't always taste the same batch after batch. 'Doesn't mean they aren't good beers, just not as consistent.

BruChef, JrGtr, Coolmenati and 3 others like this.
  27. GimmeAGuinness

GimmeAGuinness Defender (603) Sep 1, 2005 Massachusetts
    Fest Crew Society

If a restaurant advertises a "great selection of craft beer," or something like that, I take it to mean that someone has at least tried to put beer other than the gigantic breweries' corn-brewed fare on their menu. My definition of the term, however, changes as the years go on. I tend to think of "craft" breweries as the smaller guys who are pushing boundaries and/or trying to find their way in their world.

28. filstan

filstan Initiate (110) Mar 4, 2012 Illinois

I believe the time has come and gone for the term craft beer. I felt that "craft beer" starting back in the mid 1980's onward for example was defined by emerging small breweries pushing beer styles into new areas, using different hops, and brewing beer that was a departure from large pale lager breweries that were producing ubiquitous, bland, and unexciting brews. "Craft" brewers were artists within the art of brewing. To me it was about brewing really good quality beer that had character.

Bringing this to the present, we have a really vibrant brewing scene. We have many breweries that the public at large would designate as craft beer breweries. The question is quality. There are many breweries that produce very mediocre beer, although that is subjective and if some people enjoy a specific beer, that local brewer is doing his/her job in giving people what they want. What I am trying to say is that a small "craft" brewery doesn't necessarily brew great beer. Craft beer used to imply better quality in my opinion. Just because a brew is aggressively hopped and has a high ABV doesn't mean it's well made. We need to remember that really large breweries also make great beer too. Is that not craft beer as well? Are those brewers not extremely talented artists in their own right?

I really don't use the term craft beer anymore. Instead I just use the term local beer. With so many breweries in the USA this gives beer drinkers choices, and that in my opinion is progress above and beyond what craft beer stood for when the term referred to a small local brewery that made interesting and hopefully delicious beer.

Good beer always wins!

29. rgordon

rgordon Meyvn (1,254) Apr 26, 2012 North Carolina

Beer handmade that hopefully is a labor of love.

nc41, Bitterbill, Squire and 4 others like this.
  30. gueuzegeek

gueuzegeek Disciple (308) Aug 11, 2003 New Jersey

The word “Craft” has become so overused across everything under the sun these days. These days, you can be a really BAD nano-community brewery and have horrible beer, and STILL call it craft! Therefore, I’d love to say I judge purely based on taste, however, once I know a great craft brewery “sold out”, I am a bit inclined to be less likely to purchase their bottles/cans, but if their beer is GREAT still, I may still grab it on tap! It is not as simple as a word to me.

31. Coolmenati

Coolmenati Initiate (30) Oct 22, 2016 New Jersey

Some brewing operations are large and rich enough to be able to influence, if not control, the market for many of their ingredients. Makes it a lot easier to manage the consistency of their product.

A craft brewer can make great beer from ingredients that are available and affordable (and ideally local) to them. As a consequence, their product may not be Budweiser-consistent. But if it’s consistently great, well, that’s the craft.

nc41 likes this.
  32. MikeFromMaryland

MikeFromMaryland Initiate (121) Sep 30, 2019 Maryland

For me it's the difference between a frozen apple pie and Mom's or Grandmom's apple pie. The frozen pie might be palatable but has limited character and certainly no love or soul. You can tell almost instantly the beer made with love and soul. I'm not sure it can be expressed correctly in words. You just know.

cjgiant and unlikelyspiderperson like this.
  33. unlikelyspiderperson

unlikelyspiderperson Poo-Bah (2,056) Mar 12, 2013 California
    Society Trader

Definitely seems like a term that's lost its meaning. According to the BA you can apparently specialize in hard seltzers and alco iced teas and be a craft brewery. You can use adjuncts and flavorings (including the types of artificial flavorings and colorings featured in dollar store candy) and be considered craft beer. You can brew a mediocre product, not date code it, and let it rot on store shelves and be considered a craft brewery. None of that really sits well with me if we're trying to define an industry segment that does beer "better"

I don't think the term will be salvageable. As noted above, "craft" and "artisinal" are being over used and abused across the culture for every category of product. I'm guessing the BA will keep expanding the definition until it is truly meaningless and I wouldn't be surprised if eventually they carved out space for certain brands owned by inbev and the like.

When I use the term nowadays, I just use it to refer to that segment of the beer market that is not the major pale adjunct lagers. Its only real function seems to be to designate that you're disregarding the bulk of drinkers that choose the same brand of industrial lager when you are talking about some trend or tendency in the beer market

34. Providence

Providence Crusader (797) Feb 24, 2010 Rhode Island
    Trader

This is really challenging. Below is the best I can come up with, and it only applies to the term craft beer here in the US, it's not a definition that I think works globally.

Craft beer comes from brewers who are trying to make money by selling predominately beer that possesses a flavor profile that has been historically under-appreciated in the United States.

Yeah, that's not very good. But it's the best I got right now.

MKozaka, DIM, JackHorzempa and 3 others like this.
  35. LesDewitt4beer

LesDewitt4beer Meyvn (1,190) Jan 25, 2021 Minnesota
    Society

Agreed that the term "Craft Beer" is too easily adhered to in these times by many facets of the beer consuming and producing populous. The term doesn't reflect quality in any way shape or form. Not all experiments end well, last long or even turn out at all but IMHO kinda the main premise for making new beers and revamping old ones is not to be competitive or widely distributed so much. It's more of an occupational offering of talent and craft to make beer that is personally satisfying with the intent to hopefully satisfy others, brewing broader styles than the big box brewers and the craft of having working relationships with the small, independent and or local producers (if it makes good business sense) for ingredients. I dunno. What can we do? How can we distinguish these things. Do local liquor laws contort or re-shape the terminology for classification reasons? Production volume? Taxation? I'm just a beer lover who loves lovin' the love of beer!
    I have an idea.
    How about this: Craft Beers aren't bottled, canned or distributed (except for growlers, etc) and aren't sold outside of the brewery. Micro brews are.

36. nc41

Society Trader

Imo that’s one thing that makes beers like Budweiser so consistent, they’re a huge customer by any measure, they’re first in line, and their beers aren’t hop dependent. That helps a lot too.

37. deleted_user_373835

deleted_user_373835 Initiate (168) Sep 24, 2009

I don't think that just because you are a small independent brewer you are making Craft beer. It needs to meet a certain standard and you need to explore different recipes and be able to pull them off with a certain good result. With the explosion of breweries and tasting rooms there are more and more brewers where they are desperately trying to make beer but there are much better options available even from the likes of AB InBev. If a brewery is one-and-done for me then I don't consider them Craft. And AB InBev has acquired some breweries whose beers I still enjoy after change in ownership. A Craft Brewer should know when to drain-pour a batch as it just isn't up to serving, and also needs to know how to repeat consistently those winners they create.

38. MNAle

MNAle Poo-Bah (2,366) Sep 6, 2011 Minnesota
    Society

A craft brewer is any brewer that has a USA beer production volume of less than 2% of AB-Inbev worldwide (~ 9 million barrels, currently) and is not a brand of any brewer that has a worldwide beer production volume of greater than 10% of AB-Inbev (~45 million barrels, currently).

A craft beer is any beer brewed by a craft brewer, no matter how crappy it is.

There ya go, and much more succinct than the tortured Brewers Association definition.

39. cavedave

cavedave Poo-Bah (3,097) Mar 12, 2009 New York
    Society Trader

Talk about covering something from every angle. Excellent article that does just that.

JackHorzempa likes this.
  40. DIM

DIM Poo-Bah (3,422) Sep 28, 2006 Pennsylvania
    Society

Hard to nail this down, lots of good answers so far. I'll say, "Beer that's made with love for money".

MikeFromMaryland likes this.