How do you drink unfiltered IPAs like Stone Best By 2.14.16?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by JohnNickel, Feb 4, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JohnNickel

JohnNickel Initiate (0) Jan 4, 2006 District of Columbia

I just bought my first bottle of Stone Best By 2.14.16. It was bottled on 1.9.16.

For those who have had this beer, do you prefer to:

1) pour the entire beer into a huge glass and enjoy

2) pour maybe 2/3 to 3/4 of the beer into a glass and enjoy that with less sediment, then drink the rest of the beer separately; what do you like from each glass?

3) drink out of the bottle

4) something else

Of course, the best solution is to buy multiple bottles and enjoy different ways.

However, I'm curious as to how other BAers like to enjoy this beer or other unfiltered IPAs.

2. gatornation

gatornation Poo-Bah (6,213) Apr 18, 2007 Minnesota
    Society Trader

Option 1 for me , i found it tasty but not very hazy.

Shroud0fdoom and JohnNickel like this.
  3. BeerBeast

BeerBeast Crusader (773) Oct 9, 2012 Florida

I do #2 with this and most beers. Pour maybe half of the bottle/can into the glass, then a few more small pours to keep the head fresh, until it's gone. Cheers!

4. Stevem68

Stevem68 Meyvn (1,062) May 14, 2015 Ohio
    Trader

Simple, I grab a snifter and fill it +/- 3/4 or more of the way full and drink that and then pour the rest in.

jcos, vickersspitfire and JohnNickel like this.
  5. Stevem68

Trader

Just read your question again, I guess I'm an unintentional #2. I didn't notice a specific difference I just thought the flavor was very nice, aroma was great and enjoyed it.

6. DougC123

DougC123 Disciple (345) Aug 21, 2012 Connecticut

Man up, pour it all at once and go to town.

Kevinpitts, Badfish and JohnNickel like this.
  7. CJNAPS

CJNAPS Meyvn (1,089) Nov 3, 2013 California

#2 and I do that with all bombers, unless I'm sharing.

8. lotsaswigs

lotsaswigs Initiate (140) Jan 24, 2006 Michigan

I pour it like a hefe. Leave an inch or so in the bottle, swirl and pour everything to get all the hazy goodness throughout.

TonyLema1 likes this.
  9. ions

ions Initiate (0) Jan 28, 2014 Maryland

like so...
    [​IMG]

I always leave that last little bit in the bottle and once I'm done my glass I'll chase that part down.

TongoRad and JohnNickel like this.
  10. swolepeer

swolepeer Initiate (78) May 23, 2013 California

Put the liquid in my mouth and then press the swallow button.

11. JohnNickel

JohnNickel Initiate (0) Jan 4, 2006 District of Columbia

That's what she said.

12. MuFugga

MuFugga Initiate (0) Apr 3, 2015 Wisconsin

Option 1 all the fuggin time. It's a mindset thing. You can't feel the sediment when you're drinking it. I don't feel like it affects the flavor either. If it bothers you because of the way it looks, then drink filtered IPAs.

Geuzedad likes this.
  13. chrisjws

chrisjws Champion (873) Dec 3, 2014 California
    Trader

Refrigerate upside down. Pour 1/2-2/3 into a glass and enjoy with the full hazy effect, consume the rest as it warms and enjoy.

14. MostlyNorwegian

MostlyNorwegian Zealot (550) Feb 5, 2013 Illinois

Relax the bottle before pouring.

15. Jaycase

Jaycase Meyvn (1,357) Jan 13, 2007 Illinois
    Trader

No straw option? Sometimes as a crhazie I like to use a straw. There it is, that's a straw, you see? Watch it. Now, my straw reaches across the room and starts to drink your hazy IPA. I...drink...your...hazy IPA!

16. HorseheadsHophead

HorseheadsHophead Poo-Bah (2,213) Sep 15, 2014 New York
    Society

I buy the six packs. :grinning:

jcos, buckeye1275 and Ipaupaweallpa like this.
  17. riverlen

riverlen Aspirant (213) Sep 16, 2009 Illinois

For unfiltered beers, I always pour it into a glass, when I have about 1/4 left in the bottle I swirl it around to get the sediment mixed real nice with the beer and then finish pouring it. The sediment is good for you.

Badfish and HorseheadsHophead like this.
  18. Invinciblejets

Invinciblejets Devotee (473) Sep 29, 2014 South Carolina
    Trader

I pour it all in. Unless it's a beer with like big visible yeast cakes floating......then go slow and leave a little in the bottle.

riverlen likes this.
  19. Stevem68

Trader

I like your style, but I don't have a 22oz glass I like to drink IPA's out of

Geuzedad likes this.
  20. MisSigsFan

MisSigsFan Initiate (0) Mar 2, 2013 California

For unfiltered or bottle conditioned beers I mix the bottle a round before pouring. I'm not sure why it being unfiltered would change how you pour it, though. I usually fill a glass 1/2-3/4 of the way full to get the aroma and then pour more in, regardless of the opacity of the beer.

21. Ipaupaweallpa

Ipaupaweallpa Initiate (179) Dec 26, 2014 Alabama

I couldn't get any this time just drinking my Jai alai this time around. But I wouldve mixed around the bottle first if it was a 750 then poured three 7oz or so pours

StoutElk_92 likes this.
  22. edward_boumil

edward_boumil Defender (617) Jun 28, 2015 New York

If it is unfiltered, it was done so intentionally by the brewers. Yeast and hop particulate provide all sorts of flavors that I am personally fond of.

If we are talking hefes or Belgian wits I undoubtedly swirl the of the bottle before pouring the last of it. If we are talking normal IPAs I just pour them (the whole bottle) If we are talking beautiful Hill Farm or Treehouse IPAs I break the bottle/can open and lick every last drop off the remains.

23. The_Snow_Bird

The_Snow_Bird Poo-Bah (1,774) May 7, 2015 Florida
    Society

I pour it all into a glass and enjoy.

riverlen likes this.
  24. HopBroker

HopBroker Disciple (373) Jun 5, 2015 Washington
    Trader

Definitely number 2! I love the sediment at the end, pouring it into a glass that's 1/4 full with the more clear stuff. Oh man can't wait to open up this Trillium dry hopped Scaled

riverlen likes this.
  25. cavedave

cavedave Poo-Bah (2,972) Mar 12, 2009 New York
    Society Trader

Haha - People from most of the country- "Oh we pour it carefully so that sediment doesn't get into our glasses", or "I like to pour it so that the haziness and particulates stay in the bottle then I give it a swirl and add it to the glass/ drink it as a shot"

People from Northeast- "Stone Best By Unfiltered can't be unfiltered. It's almost clear."

26. TongoRad

TongoRad Poo-Bah (2,801) Jun 3, 2004 New Jersey
    Society Trader

General beer rule #1- never include the sediment in your beer, unless it's a hefeweizen. It simply doesn't belong there and will muddle the flavors.

For this Stone beer I suggest everybody compare two versions blind, clear vs cloudy, and put it to the test which way you prefer.

JackHorzempa, ions, TonyLema1 and 2 others like this.
  27. bcol1400

bcol1400 Initiate (0) Nov 26, 2015 Michigan

Just had my first one last night from a tap. It was consistent in color top to bottom and it did not seem unusually cloudy. Wonder what a glass of that will look like when the keg gets near empty?

28. BryanP

BryanP Initiate (0) Oct 21, 2013 North Carolina
    Deactivated

Is this thread really happening????

swolepeer, Averwo, Ranbot and 4 others like this.
  29. Steban

Steban Disciple (319) Dec 3, 2014 North Carolina
    Trader

One sip at a time.

30. emount91

emount91 Devotee (426) Aug 28, 2015 Connecticut

31. Fat_Maul

Fat_Maul Initiate (0) Jan 24, 2014 Pennsylvania

This was my favorite enjoy by and I drank it by pouring the 22oz bottle into a 12oz snifter then putting the bottle in the fridge while I drank the first glass then went back and poured the second glass after I finished the first. I didn't find there to be any sediment in my 22oz bottle. It's just unfiltered, not a hefeweizen. I have had a lot of IPAs lately that were canned where when poured a clump of yeast would come out at the end and that's pretty shitty IMO. Even if they're using a neutral yeast and I won't taste it, it seems like they either rushed the process or didn't try very hard.

32. StoutElk_92

StoutElk_92 Poo-Bah (2,858) Oct 30, 2015 Massachusetts
    Society

If I had a 12oz. I would pour it all in making sure I swirl and get the sediment at the bottom. I had a 22oz. and drank about half then got the rest in the glass for about a 10oz. pour, a bit harder, revealing not just a slight haze, but actual green pieces of hop and white yeast sediment floating around too. I don't think I've ever had such an unfiltered beer. Needless to say it was enjoyable. I'll be getting more Enjoy By's in the future.

33. fearfactory

fearfactory Aspirant (296) Aug 12, 2012 Massachusetts

Poured it easy, as I loathe drinking dead, flavorless stuff. Wasn't too different from most Enjoy Bys (solid beer), so poured the next one harder. Not much different either, so I let it settle before finishing, as I loathe drinking dead, flavorless stuff.

34. JackHorzempa

JackHorzempa Poo-Bah (4,656) Dec 15, 2005 Pennsylvania
    Society

Do you use a crhazie straw!?!:rolling_eyes:

[​IMG]

TongoRad and Jaycase like this.
  35. vileplume

vileplume Initiate (0) Sep 27, 2015 Arizona

Like all beers in this style i give the bottle a good thrashing before pouring out, i want the bottom of the bottle to be clean. All or nothing!

36. Morey

Morey Meyvn (1,112) Dec 30, 2007 Pennsylvania
    Trader

pour half.....then swirl the rest around in the bottle, and pour into glass. Like you would a hefe.

riverlen likes this.
  37. Jaycase

Jaycase Meyvn (1,357) Jan 13, 2007 Illinois
    Trader

Nicely done! Great idea. I see potential there. Needs to be a clear one however so the unfiltered glory can be viewed on its entire journey.

JackHorzempa and TongoRad like this.
  38. JackHorzempa

JackHorzempa Poo-Bah (4,656) Dec 15, 2005 Pennsylvania
    Society

Watching the 'gunk' doing a loop de loop would indeed be quite the sight!!:rolling_eyes:

I like the way you think!!:slight_smile:

Cheers!

Jaycase likes this.
  39. FFreak

FFreak Defender (666) Nov 10, 2013 Vermont

We didn't get unfiltered Enjoy by in 6-packs and I don't have a 22 oz glass, so option 2 in this case.

40. Averwo

Averwo Disciple (316) Jul 4, 2013 Iowa

Drink it like any other beer. :confused:

BryanP likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.