Dismiss Notice
We're celebrating 10 years of BeerAdvocate magazine with $10 print subscriptions for US residents.

Subscribe now!

How do you get ahold of Three Floyds?!?

Discussion in 'Great Lakes' started by nickapalooza86, Aug 21, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nickapalooza86

nickapalooza86 Feb 23, 2010 Wisconsin

No this is not a FFF bashing thread.

I bought a bomber of Dreadnaught from a new shipment and it ended up being a drainpour because of how old and awful it was. I have had this beer on several occasions so I know what it is supposed to taste like. I have called every extension they have on several occasions, they called back once and left a message. I then called back not 1 minute later and got no answer. I have had to call other breweries before because of quality or in this case no date on a $10 bomber (Ya I know my fault for buyin an un dated beer). So for any of you who have bought a FFFs beer that was out of date, how did you handle the situation as there phone number appears to be for show.

2. PDZ

PDZ Jun 26, 2012 Illinois
    Beer Trader

screamking and Duff27 like this.
  3. kzoobrew

kzoobrew May 8, 2006 Michigan

I do think Three Floyds makes fantastic beer, I do not want the following statement to be perceived as bashing any more than necessary.

I have come to expect that Three Floyds does not give two shits about me, my opinion or my experience with their beer. If it was not me who purchased their beer, it would have been another customer who is simply "grateful" for the opportunity. While this is simply the perception many have, there seems to be some truth to it. Good on Three Floyds, they are running a tremendously successful brewery despite having such a reputation.

Bottom line, its a calculated risk. If I am disappointed, I consider it the cost of rolling the dice.
  4. TheodorHerzl

TheodorHerzl Mar 30, 2007 Indiana
    Beer Trader

Cut a metal record with an awesome band name.
  5. MADhombrewer

MADhombrewer Jun 4, 2008 Oregon

Forgive me, but you want to get a hold of them for what? You want your money back? Tell them there are quality issues with their beer?
  6. Jimbobebop

Jimbobebop Jun 12, 2013 Illinois
    Beer Trader

Here in Chicago Some Three Floyds bombers sit on shelves for months or even years because they don’t bottle date. That's why they are starting to distribute the bombers to other states; the shops just don’t want to buy any more. I only buy Three Floyds bombers from shops that label the date they get their beer in like The Beer Temple or right when their seasonal are released.

It’s still a little puzzling to me that a company that sells $12 and up bottles don’t date them. If a location has options, like we do in Chicago we go with what we know is fresh like Pipework’s who post their bottle dates on their website.
    planbee and Westuh like this.
  7. Boilerfood

Boilerfood Jun 5, 2012 Indiana

Honestly, take it back to the store. Call/email the distributor for your area. You will get way more traction from those two avenues than from Floyd's.
  8. GreenCoffee

GreenCoffee Jul 2, 2012 Illinois

Giving a shit is not metal so I'm not sure it's worth your time to go any further with this. As kzoo said, you should be grateful that they allowed you to hold the bottle in the first place.
    misterid and jrnyc like this.
  9. sbxx

sbxx Mar 21, 2011 Illinois

There is no way a fresh Dreadnaught was a drain pour. Someone at the store bullshitted you.
    aasher and mpayne5 like this.
  10. Bay01

Bay01 Nov 19, 2008 Illinois

Have sex with yourself, that's how

7clutch, misterid and PDZ like this.
  11. PDZ

PDZ Jun 26, 2012 Illinois
    Beer Trader

should be easier to get ahold of
  12. crossovert

crossovert Mar 29, 2009 Illinois

How does millercoors get ahold of fff? Want to see cold activated zd even if it doesn't have label dates.
    Stevedore likes this.
  13. nickapalooza86

To bitch, I have with infected bottles and I got my money back or in the case of one brewery a 6 pack fresh off the line overnited... I continue to buy there beer, FFF probably not.
  14. nickapalooza86

I said it was a "fresh" shipment.... With FFF how would the distributor or the store know the actual date.
  15. jegross2

jegross2 Jan 3, 2010 Illinois
    Beer Trader

Over/under on how much money it would take for miller lite to buy FFF lol. It's more plausible than them refilling growlers
    mpayne5 likes this.
  16. nickapalooza86

O well I guess I will shoot off an email, but like many have said I assume nothing will come of it.

Then real question becomes, why do we in the beer "Community" put beer and breweries to a different standard then every other product and service. Do not give me that "it is a luxury" line because about 99% of what we do and consume is... As a business owner I know first hand that if someone is not satisfied with the non essential service I provide I get to hear about it. If you purchase a defective toy for you child, you hold the company to there product. However it seems that so often here I see people saying "well its your fault for assuming something that arrived at the store less then two weeks ago was gonna be fresh..." Breweries should be held responsible for these types of things.... Even if they are as popular and FFF and do not have care, it is just the right thing to do from a moral stand point.
    jrnyc likes this.
  17. Stevedore

Stevedore Nov 16, 2012 Wisconsin
    Beer Trader

Screw Floyds bombers. If its not purchased at the brewery, I don't want it.
    Westuh and anticipation23 like this.
  18. jegross2

Beer Trader

19. Stevedore

Stevedore Nov 16, 2012 Wisconsin
    Beer Trader

Thinking more of their regular releases like Dreadnaught, APW.. I was still seeing Gorch Fock on the shelves in the spring!

BTW I don't know much about Anicca other than the fact that its a HA/FFF collaboration that came out spring this year.
  20. jegross2

Beer Trader

It's great. I wrote the definitive review a few months back.
  21. Envelopes

Envelopes Aug 26, 2012 Ohio

How do you know it's FFF sending old bombers to the distributor and not just that the distributor had it sitting around their warehouse a while?
    nben60 and StargazerC like this.
  22. kzoobrew

Are you authorized to write the definitive review? Self proclaimed?

Boy, you do love being the definitive source, don't you.
    s_wit, skinsfan, SpdKilz and 3 others like this.
  23. rxeight

rxeight Feb 5, 2012 Illinois

Dreadnaught tastes really good for two or three weeks. Unless you buy it directly from the pub there is no way to guarantee that. Just because the store says its fresh doesnt mean that it got there last week. Add a week or 2 from the distributor. I drink a shit load of zombie dust. I can tell freshly bottled from week old from two week old. I bought a 6 pack from a local store one time. They just got it delivered an hour ago. It was at least 3 or 4 weeks old. So your problem is the distributor which 3 floyds has nothing to do with.
    nben60 and StargazerC like this.
  24. misterid

misterid Apr 3, 2009 Wisconsin

4.53/5 rDev +1.6%
    look: 5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Reviewing Anicca, a collaboration IPA brewed by Three Floyds Brewing Company (Munster, Indiana) and Half Acre Brewing Company (Chicago, Illinois).

Score: 95

Tap pour served in a Half Acre snifter-tulip hybrid glass and enjoyed on 03/01/13. Review is from iPhone notes

Appearance: Bourbon colored body. Served with one finger of cream colored head that settles to a thin foggy coating. Awesome lacing and retention. 5/5

Smell: Dank hops, tangerine, melon, peach and apricot. Nice tropical citrus nose. Pineapple juice and pine too. Perfectly balanced, nice juiciness and hoppiness. A little fruity too. 4.75/5

Taste: Tastes just like it smells but with a heavier malt-orientation and less "bitting hoppiness" than anticipated from nose. Earthy spice too, a little resinous. Nice bitter citrus finish after the swallow. Smoother drinking than anticipated, but I was hoping for more of a in-your-face hop bomb from the nose. Tasty enough to overcome my expectation disappointment. 4.5/5

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied, low carbonation. Frankly, I think this brew is slightly under-carbonated. Nice zesty citrus which is bitter and juicy. Finishes a little dry. 4/5

Overall: An excellent IPA from two hop masters. Well worth the trip to the Half Acre tap room to try this taproom only release.

Cost: $6 for a 16 oz snifter pour.

25. kzoobrew

Huh? I guess I missed the point. If that was suppose to be the definitive review, I know I am missing something. It is a nice review, but overall it is nothing above average. The post really does nothing to satisfy my query.
    skinsfan, Treebs, sliverX and 2 others like this.
  26. IlliniPi

IlliniPi May 24, 2010 Illinois

I mean, really?
    iuindy2l, sbxx and skinsfan like this.
  27. theburden

theburden Dec 17, 2002 Indiana

28. jegross2

Beer Trader

I am the definitive source on what is definitive
  29. YaKnowBrady

YaKnowBrady Jul 23, 2010 New Jersey

Miller Lite isn't a company

7clutch, Duff27, sbxx and 6 others like this.
  30. Insubordinator

Insubordinator Dec 5, 2012 Wisconsin

Last time you tried to be the definitive source didn't you just put out a lot of misinformation about a particular bottling of BCBS? Yeahhhhh about that...
  31. crushedvol

crushedvol Jan 29, 2008 Illinois

This is honestly excellent advice for about 99% of problems. Might not make the problem go away, but you'll feel better in the mean time
    Duff27, Hugonaut13, sliverX and 2 others like this.
  32. MarkIntihar

MarkIntihar Mar 17, 2010 Michigan

dat fap and nap...
    7clutch, Duff27, crushedvol and 5 others like this.
  33. misterid

misterid Apr 3, 2009 Wisconsin

clearly you're missing the authoritative tone of the text and the importance of the words being used

re-calibrate your comprehension, sir
  34. Arherring

Arherring Nov 10, 2009 Indiana

Any quality store should replace a bad bottle be it beer or wine or spirits. Don't drain pour it though, cap it and bring it back (get a replacement) and the store will pass it back to the distributor, who in turn -should- pass it back to Three Floyds, especially if we are talking about an infection issue here. If the replacement is also a bad bottle (bring it back to the store), then it is reasonable to ask to have your money back, or put the refund toward a different label/brewer.

On a side note, as a store I've never gotten a response from emails sent to Three Floyds. I do understand they have occasionally responded to Tweets, and to posts in this forum.
  35. rxeight

rxeight Feb 5, 2012 Illinois

Yes really. Like I said i drink it a lot and it changes quick. Couldnt do that with any other beer.
  36. danimalarkey

danimalarkey Mar 3, 2008 Illinois

And if we're going to nitpick (which we should, this being the internet), this review references the version brewed at Half Acre. Three Floyds brewed this new version in Munster. Just sayin'...
    Jaycase, Treebs and kzoobrew like this.
  37. sidetracked

sidetracked Nov 9, 2009 Illinois

Pretty sure the last time was actually the Cthulhu release when he succeed in getting Hayden banned.
  38. mbierz

mbierz Dec 6, 2008 Illinois
    Beer Trader

August 6th I had fantastic Zombie Dust at The Northdown
    August 9th I had very "dead" Zombie Dust at The Local Option. I couldn't drink it
    August 10th I had the same old, undrinkable ZD at Bangers and Lace.

Is this due to the overhaul in the brewhouse? I feel like these could have not been fresh but both bars said they recently received the kegs. Glunz holding on to kegs too long in order to slowly feed the demand while your supply is low? I'm an enormous fan of both Three Floyd's and all of these bars so I hope to get fresh product in the future and am genuinely curious here.
  39. Westuh

Westuh Oct 9, 2012 Wisconsin

FFF was a trend. We have dreadnaught, pride n joy, alpha king, Robert the Bruce and gumballhead in stock 24/7 now. Cases. Can't sell it at all. It sucks. Trying to have the salesman pick it up so we can get some fresh beer or different brewery.

And as aherring said, take it back and say its bad. Can't get your money back by law. But your 10.99 plus tax will be in store credit. They just pass the bottle off as 'breakage' or bad beer and the salesman credits them.

Edit: also someone said its the distributors fault. It may, but I don't think it is. When we get FFF, its all allocated. So all the FFF is pretty much sold before it comes in. So I don't think its the distributors fault at all. They can barely get it and always get complaints from stores. Give em a break. Blame Illinois.
    Ferocious and FremontBar like this.
  40. Ri0

Ri0 Jul 1, 2012 Wisconsin
    Beer Trader

Chalk it up as a loss. Spend your money supporting TG and hope they bring bottled beer to WI in 2014.
    Hugonaut13 and nickapalooza86 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • About Us

Your go-to website for beer (since 1996), publishers of BeerAdvocate magazine (since 2006) and hosts of world-class beer events (since 2003). Respect Beer.
  • Extreme Beer Fest® Cometh

February 3-4, 2017. Boston, Mass. Limited tickets available. Prepare for epicness.

Learn More
  • Free Trial Subscription

Reside in the US? Interested in a free 1-month trial subscription to the print edition of BeerAdvocate magazine?

Yes! Sign Me Up!