How do you spot fake traders?

Discussion in 'Trade Talk' started by ironchefmiyagi13, Jun 10, 2013.

1. ironchefmiyagi13

ironchefmiyagi13 Initiate (0) Jan 9, 2013 Tennessee

I have seen some accounts with people with no avatar, no comments, likes, tried beers, etc. they do, however, have traded with people and aren't on the bad trader list.

In your opinion, what is the deal and should I respond to their ISO:FT posts when I see something I like?

2. beesy

beesy Initiate (0) Jul 21, 2010 Ohio

BM the traders they listed for a reference.

ediaz, FTowne, dougfur and 2 others like this.
  3. mikecharley

mikecharley Disciple (355) Nov 6, 2008 Pennsylvania
    Trader

Are they a brand new start date? If not, maybe they just dont post. I know there are many traders who only post in the ISO/FT forum, which doesn't allow for likes, and doesn't go towards your post count.

Edit: I couldn't agree more with Beesy's comment above. If you aren't feeling comfortable with ANY trade/trader, just BM a random mix of 5 traders on their reference list. I do it, and encourage others to do it as well.

domtronzero and Mersh like this.
  4. Bigtwin

Bigtwin Initiate (0) Sep 13, 2010 Michigan

Check references. If its for say $30 worth of Beer and their references check out. You could probably both ship on the same day and exchange tracking #'s. If it's a high dollar amount, and you're the least bit uncomfortable, ask them to ship first. Once their box arrives, ship yours.

claaark13 likes this.
  5. Ericl2

Ericl2 Initiate (77) Apr 25, 2013 Indiana

Speaking as a "new" trader....I don't always post. If you are in doubt, make them ship first. I had to for my first trade....and will gladly do it until I get a decent amount of trades under my belt. If they won't, find another trader.

queens1130, FTowne, claaark13 and 2 others like this.
  6. poonamibaxter

poonamibaxter Aspirant (227) Jun 26, 2007 Colorado

I had no avatar or tried beers for a couple years, I wouldn't sweat that part.

7. abecall98

abecall98 Devotee (412) Aug 11, 2007 California
    Trader

I'm still waiting for a bad trader alert to pop up for this type. Most of the bad trades that have popped up lately were easily avoidable situations from the looks of it.

8. claaark13

claaark13 Initiate (0) Nov 29, 2007 Indiana

I recently talked to a guy with 2 trades under his belt about shipping first and he essentially told me at that point that he didn't trust me (or anyone I assume) enough to ship first. I wanted to cave, but I declined. I informed him that I was simply participating in the most common practice of trading with a new trader, but he wasn't impressed with that response. It came down to my gut feeling that shipping first or "at the same time" to someone with no history can have worse consequences than benefits. In this case, the potential loss would have been too great if I had made a bad call.

On the other hand, I just completed a trade with a n00b who had no problem shipping first and everything has gone very smoothly. I gave him a link to Alewatcher's blog, gave him some additional ideas and he did everything very well with his packaging.

It is concerning that some n00bs don't want to ship first, which has traditionally been a foundation of getting into trading. If people ship first to a n00b, they need to understand ahead of time that they are heightening their risk level involved with a trade, and also shouldn't be bitching too hard if they get stiffed.

9. TheGoof

TheGoof Initiate (0) Apr 10, 2013 Michigan

Speaking of references, I am new to trading and was wondering if it's common practice here to ask someone you've completed a trade with if you can list them as a Completed Trade on your profile or to just go ahead and list them. Just completed my first two trades and have no idea what's proper etiquette here.

bauermj likes this.
  10. abecall98

abecall98 Devotee (412) Aug 11, 2007 California
    Trader

Yes.

11. ediaz

ediaz Initiate (0) Nov 23, 2011 Florida

I've never asked anyone I've traded with, but I've listed all of them. I'd list all of your trading partners, but you can lose credibility REAL quick if you list bullshit trading partners

12. xnicknj

xnicknj Initiate (0) May 25, 2009 Pennsylvania

I think you made the right choice. If they aren't willing to ship first to someone that's been on the site for 6 years, has 150+ references and is an active poster, there's definitely reason enough to be put off.

GrumpyOldTroll likes this.
  13. Bad_Trader

Bad_Trader Initiate (0) Nov 8, 2012 Namibia

But if the guy has an avatar, he's straight legit.

14. box_social

box_social Initiate (125) Mar 6, 2013 Oregon
    Trader

i've had an inverse experience with this. was supposed to meet a BA for an IP trade when i was on vacation, guy flaked out once, texted me at 4am saying sorry and wanted to meet up the next day. he didn't show up or call me that day, then finally sent me a message apologizing two days later when i already left town. he wanted to do the trade via mail, but i have no reason to trust someone that flaked out twice with no communication until after the fact. i asked him to send first and he never responded. he had a big list of traders/trades and seemed legit, but why would i take the risk of sending first because i'm new on here when he's already sketched me out? seems like someone taking pride in their trading reputation would be a little more proactive and concerned about communicating trading issues. that said, i sold the bottles i brought for him and i'll never try to trade with him again. too many good traders out there to put up with the bad ones.

fwiw, i just made a trade with a BA who asked me to ship first due to my sign up date, limited trades, etc. i said absolutely no problem and sent him a tracking number right away to alleviate any of his concerns about dealing with someone new. now the guy knows i'm legit, and that works well for both of us.

15. cavedave

cavedave Poo-Bah (2,416) Mar 12, 2009 New York
    Trader

Under a year on site and/or under ten trades? You send first. Too many good traders out there to worry about some noob getting butthurt because he is asked to send first.

If I was still trading I would be willing to send first to any established trader if asked.

16. Beerontwowheels

Beerontwowheels Initiate (0) Nov 22, 2009 Maryland

17. Jnorton00

Jnorton00 Initiate (0) Apr 13, 2007 Massachusetts

So don't trade with Eugene Levy or Gene Shalit?

surfingbeast, pjl44 and Kuemmelbrau like this.
  18. Beerontwowheels

Beerontwowheels Initiate (0) Nov 22, 2009 Maryland

Exactly!

Jnorton00 likes this.
  19. bigedct

bigedct Initiate (0) Jun 23, 2011 Connecticut

And you will be rewarded in kind for your understanding and acceptance of past practices.

box_social likes this.
  20. ObeMaltKinobee

ObeMaltKinobee Initiate (0) Jul 13, 2010 Illinois

In trading a little bit of thought and common sense go a long way.

21. Wiscobrew

Wiscobrew Initiate (0) Feb 19, 2011 Nevada

I thought I was the one rewarded as I got to acquire said beers that were not picked up!

Thanks Box Social!

box_social likes this.
  22. box_social

box_social Initiate (125) Mar 6, 2013 Oregon
    Trader

you're the man! hope you enjoyed those and thanks for the ride to the airport after a crazy night! vegas'd

23. Jnorton00

Jnorton00 Initiate (0) Apr 13, 2007 Massachusetts

That was too easy though; how often can you make a Gene Shalit reference?

ncaudle, claaark13 and surfingbeast like this.
  24. Earlycsquid

Earlycsquid Devotee (479) Jan 7, 2013 California

I'm not sure how you can't spot a person who is potentially scamming you.

If they don't have references or simply don't have enough references for your liking, have them ship first. If they have no avatar and are offended by the idea of sending first (considering you're established enough) then don't trade. Side with caution.

I have no problem sending first if it's someone who has more references than me.

25. riemster

riemster Initiate (0) Mar 17, 2011 Ohio

I think sharing phone numbers is a great way to keep in contact and spot "fake traders." My first trading partner on BA, had no problem sending first. It wasn't even discussed. He just offered to send first, so I could reuse his box-in-a-box and some packaging material. I told him up front, I've only done one trade about a year ago and it was only with a couple bottles and wasn't on BA. It didn't phase him. He only had 1 completed trade on BA at the time, but he told me he's done plenty of trades before on other sites which was highly evident.

Anyways, I think sharing phone numbers and texting can be better than a BM. We started off sending BMs back and forth, but after a couple days we were texting each other a lot. I think small updates and pictures are a must especially with new traders. Sometimes a BM feels too formal for me. A text can be even quicker and much easier to send.

I'm looking through my texts and I said to him, "I can't believe you shipped first without blinking an eye..." I'm paraphrasing, but his response was, it depends how trustworthy people seem and you [me] seemed like an obviously good guy.

I wanted to finish the post by saying, I'm definitely not one of those scumbags on his phone all the time. I absolutely hate when I go out or have company over and family/friends are on their phones constantly. Texting definitely has its place in trading though. I probably owe my "trustworthiness" to texting. How often do you guys text during trades, if any at all? Just curious. On a side note, the trading partner was definitely an amazing mentor. I was a little scared sending ~13 bottles, a glass, a tap handle, and some other swag for my first trade on BA. He definitely made me a great packaging master.

26. Ericl2

Ericl2 Initiate (77) Apr 25, 2013 Indiana

The way I look at it....I don't mind shipping first. I don't have a trade history and have to start somewhere. Of course, my first trade was me shipping a BA Port DL. My trade partner made me feel at ease and I shipped first. He had a large trading history and was recommended to me by another local BA. Of course, my trades since then were local stuff. I'll get to a point where each person will ship on the same day. If I lose a box...I will only be out the money I paid for the bottles.... but I could replace them. I will tell you...it was hard for me to ship the Port DL...if something happened to it....it wasn't like I could replace it. That is where you have to do your due diligence. It worked for me and my trade partner was happy with the trade.

27. Greenplastic615

Greenplastic615 Disciple (368) Nov 4, 2008 Pennsylvania

I think the OP's question was more around being a new trader and not knowing if someone asks you to ship first if they're legit.

I think the most important thing is to try to do your first couple trades with more experienced/established traders, even if it's just locals for locals to get the hang of the process. Plus, when I started, a lot of the vets that I traded with were extremely helpful.