How does your significant other feel about your beer hobby?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by ChristopherShain, Feb 19, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. itsjreal

itsjreal Initiate (0) Jul 21, 2013 Vermont

That could work... but what if your significant other is intelligent?

2. russpowell

russpowell Poo-Bah (8,282) May 24, 2005 Arkansas
    Premium Member Beer Trader

Sorry, musn't upset anyone...

3. Highbrow

Highbrow Devotee (476) Jan 7, 2011 California
    Beer Trader

then we'd assume she already likes beer & supports/shares in your *habit*. :slight_smile:

iguenard, Erick_G and itsjreal like this.
  4. BubalooBrewMaster

BubalooBrewMaster Disciple (343) Feb 24, 2013 Nevada
    Beer Trader

Agreed,...hence why I'm on a hiatus from trading or beer shopping...plus my celler has over 60+ beers.

5. Rohkey

Rohkey Initiate (0) Jan 13, 2013 Michigan

My gf is the one who got me into craft beer, albeit I took it a step further. Anyways she's fine with it, and supportive as long I slip her a few Founders here and there :stuck_out_tongue:. She understands I need to have hobbies and some personal time to stay sane.

The girl I dated before her didn't. Would constantly nag me if I drank at home or tried having my own life outside of spending every waking second with her...it was miserable.

Rodosman likes this.
  6. deaner269

deaner269 Initiate (0) Jul 14, 2012 Michigan

Until I started my "hobby" of craft beer, my wife hated beer. She now drinks it more often than I do. No problems here.

7. yankeefan287

yankeefan287 Aspirant (235) Feb 23, 2012 Pennsylvania

My wife loves to drink session beers or anything hoppy, and trying seasonals/new beers. She does not however, want anything to do with purchasing them or knowing how much I spend on them. She will go to craft bars and breweries as long as we can invite some friends/family and make it a social outing (having decent food usually helps as well), not just focusing on the beer/brewery.

8. Beerdudenumberone

Beerdudenumberone Aspirant (298) Dec 9, 2012 Indiana
    Beer Trader

Well, I was thinking my wife was kind of tired of me buyin and talking about beer all the time until after DLD I was laying in bed complaining that I didn't get any Zombie Dust because they sold out. What does she do? She drives the 4 1/2 round trip when she see's that 3 Floyd's made their 1st Zombie Dust release after DLD while I was at work and suprised me with the two cases when I got home! Think she's a keeper

9. Preluderl

Preluderl Devotee (461) Sep 27, 2012 Pennsylvania
    Beer Trader

My wife and I are getting ready to move into our first purchased home in a couple of weeks. When we made an agreement on the home, I told her I would do my best to make sure we had as little beer as possible to have to move.

I currently have the most beer that I've ever had at any given time... Oops.

Brew_Bro likes this.
  10. Boca-X

Boca-X Defender (699) Jan 21, 2014 Missouri

I'll let you know when she see's the new credit card statement at the end of this cycle :rolling_eyes:

creepinjeeper and russpowell like this.
  11. chiefojibwa

chiefojibwa Initiate (0) May 19, 2009 Washington

she's totally cool with it...maybe a little too cool. some work nights when i don't want to drink a beer she pops one open, and i can't resist...

12. Hophead21

Hophead21 Initiate (0) Sep 19, 2013 Pennsylvania
    Beer Trader

Don't know never asked her.

13. lovethebelgians

lovethebelgians Initiate (176) Apr 25, 2013 Illinois

best way to stay off the radar, take care of the finances, and hold the only credit card. . . . boomshakalaka!

14. DrStiffington

DrStiffington Meyvn (1,083) Oct 27, 2010 New Jersey
    Beer Trader

Honestly guys, unless you are:
    A) an alcoholic or
    B) unable to pay your bills due to beer spending sprees,
    then why should any significant other have anything to say on the subject?

On a related note, is there such an organization called Ballbusters Anonymous? Just asking.

creepinjeeper and russpowell like this.
  15. Briesch

Briesch Initiate (196) Mar 17, 2014 California
    Beer Trader

My girlfriend doesn't drink alcohol at all. She doesn't understand the appeal of drinking but she definitely loves smelling all my hoppy IPA's.

16. stephens101

stephens101 Poo-Bah (2,076) May 5, 2006 Oklahoma
    Beer Trader

Likes it to the point it provides her w/ some good Hefeweizens, Browns, and Wits and takes us to different locales in search of goodies, which in turn results in other, non beer-related explorations.

17. upsbeernut

upsbeernut Disciple (306) Sep 22, 2011 Georgia

BIG BOOM!

18. BubalooBrewMaster

BubalooBrewMaster Disciple (343) Feb 24, 2013 Nevada
    Beer Trader

Lol......you better have some tastings before you move.

russpowell likes this.
  19. sjverla

sjverla Devotee (490) Dec 1, 2008 Massachusetts

Separate checking accounts/credit cards? Anybody?

We have a joint checking for normal household expenses (cars, rent, food, etc) and separate for our own shit. She's fully supportive of my homebrewing because she gets beer to drink. She might think I'm an idiot for occasionally dropping $50+ on beer now and then (which compared to some of you is wicked fucking tame), but it comes out of my checking account, so she lets me be an idiot without getting upset about it.

20. Rodosman

Rodosman Disciple (311) Mar 16, 2014 Pennsylvania
    Beer Trader

Considering that my wife works at a drug and alcohol rehab she is pretty damn cool with it. But this is only because Ive spent years and years traing her so well. Im kidding LOL. I only had to train her for a couple months.

At the beginning of our relationship she would call me out on my beer drinking, which is 1-2 beers on weekdays and 2-3 weekends. But after being together 8 years, and 2 children later she sees Im responsible and handle business every damn day. So moral of the story is if your a good person to your significant other and handle business like a man, you should be able to gain some trust, respect and flexibility.

SirPutzly likes this.
  21. Liberatiscioli

Liberatiscioli Devotee (420) Oct 3, 2013 Pennsylvania
    Beer Trader

I just knocked mine up again so she's mad she can't partake. However I did promise I wouldn't open a few till the little bambino pops out!!

22. Brew_Bro

Brew_Bro Initiate (0) Mar 4, 2014 Florida

You must not know women. Any money not spent on them is wasted money.

That is Women 101

JrGtr likes this.
  23. LagerCognoscenti

LagerCognoscenti Initiate (0) Jun 28, 2013 United Kingdom (England)

Totally relate to this. I don't buy the number of positive posts on here. You guys are damn lucky! Drinking a few beers and truly enjoying them is an entirely harmless hobby within a relationship. Some guys go out clubbing, take drugs, gamble, cheat etc. My (recently ex) girlfriend was hostile to my beer hobby and told me it was bad for me and for my health. Since we split a few months ago I have drunk slightly more beer than I did when we were together but lost 14lbs through exercise and dieting which I couldn't have done when we were together as I didn't have time due to relationship pressures. If anyone has a real drink problem then that is not good and their partner could be right to try to help them. But I bet there's a few BAs out there (male or female) whose partners use it as a stick to beat them with. It's a hobby like any other... football, running, trainspotting, comic collecting... whatever. Don't let anyone beat you up over it. Obviously there's a limit to how much beer you should drink.... but most alcoholics ain't discussing the subtle citrus undertones or phenolic notes of what they're supping!!!

24. DrStiffington

DrStiffington Meyvn (1,083) Oct 27, 2010 New Jersey
    Beer Trader

Happily married for 12 years, bro. Just not married to a ball buster. I did my research before I got married. Everyone should do the same.

25. Potatocrawler

Potatocrawler Initiate (0) Jun 12, 2013 Pennsylvania

It's taken a few years but my unmarried-committed has gone from loving hear wine coolers and mixed drinks to it becoming a shared passion/hobby. She's not even into IPA's, when her first comment about IPA's after trying one was that they "taste like perfume!!!" but now she loves those citrusy hop bombs. 'Atta girl!

russpowell likes this.
  26. Tsar_Riga

Tsar_Riga Poo-Bah (1,842) Sep 9, 2013 Indiana

My wife does not drink beer, and is not too interested in other alcohol. Not opposed, mind, just not interested.

She is mostly supportive. Sometimes there's concern given the sudden increase in beer budget (I jumped in more majorly last year).

On the other hand, when she was in NW Indiana last month, she offered to go to 3F and pick up something. And she's square with a vacation in Asheville this year and perhaps Bend next, so yeah, she's mostly cool.

Rodosman likes this.
  27. bulletrain76

bulletrain76 Zealot (579) Nov 6, 2007 California

Mine now works at the brewery that I work at so I think it's going pretty well.

Providence and russpowell like this.
  28. russpowell

russpowell Poo-Bah (8,282) May 24, 2005 Arkansas

To each their own, been married damn near 30 years. I always shake my head when I hear of people firewalling off their money. I guess if you want to do it for the hobbies I don't see any red flags...

lightman1 likes this.
  29. AnchorDrops

AnchorDrops Aspirant (283) May 11, 2013 Michigan
    Beer Trader

She likes when I buy her Rubaeus, and gets pissed when I drink one. Trades from WI are cool with her as long as they include New Glarus fruit beers.

30. mkez

mkez Initiate (146) May 2, 2014 Wisconsin
    Beer Trader

My wife likes beer almost as much as I do and we share similar tastes as well. Unfortunately, that means that I'm buying for 2 which can get pricey with some things.

31. VitisVinifera

VitisVinifera Initiate (94) Feb 25, 2013 California
    Beer Trader

geeze i hate to feed the stereotype......but........what g/f? Girls just don't get it, at least the ones I've come across. You try to explain it and they just think you justify bar and liquor store expenditures. Fortunately I have an equal wine love and that goes over better....with my non-existent g/f.

32. GallowsThief

GallowsThief Initiate (0) Aug 3, 2010 Florida
    Beer Trader

She has no trouble with it as long as I keep her supplied with KBS...not sure if that is good or bad...every time I manage to get some it disappears.

33. Carb-Overlord

Carb-Overlord Disciple (373) Apr 25, 2014 Wisconsin
    Beer Trader

Happy Mothers Day to all those craft beer love'n mamma bears, and to all those others who put up with our crap. This year I gave my wife a second fridge! Now the beer will no longer occupy a third of our regular fridge!

... ugh... that did not go down how I hoped it would ....

34. ColdOne

ColdOne Aspirant (225) Jan 19, 2013 New York
    Beer Trader

I don't complain about the outrageous price of the organic veggies she buys and she doesn't give me crap about the insane amount of beer that I bring into the house. Win-win, people. Win-win.

35. crazyfoMostout

crazyfoMostout Initiate (0) May 16, 2013 Missouri

Why is it that women who normally dont drink beer love sours? Mine is the same way. But she is very understanding of my hobby/illness. She will try anything I bring home, but for the most part she's meh about it. However, if she's out of her vodka or rum, she'll drink one of mine. Since we both drink daily, even arguably heavily, she really can't say much. We love each other beyond words and that's what matters most to me. We has a two month separation about six mos. ago(because i'm a stubborn jackass) and it tore me up so bad I couldn't even eat let alone drink beer while she was gone. I spend nearly 10 grand moving her half way across the country to bring her back. This alone drastically cut into my beer fund, So I won't be making that mistake again.

#435 crazyfoMostout, May 12, 2014
    Last edited: May 12, 2014
  36. SouthAtholSuds

SouthAtholSuds Initiate (173) Nov 3, 2008 Massachusetts

It makes me last about 15 minutes longer. So she loves all 17 minutes of it.

Sludgeman likes this.
  37. Sludgeman

Sludgeman Poo-Bah (1,801) Aug 17, 2012 District of Columbia

As she said just the other day (unprompted), if it (your over the top need for quality beer) makes you happy, I am happy.

38. ironchefkook

ironchefkook Initiate (0) Nov 5, 2013 California

I'll worry about that when I find one...:rolling_eyes:

39. 64vdub

64vdub Aspirant (269) Feb 20, 2014 California
    Beer Trader

My wife goes with it...since she likes to travel, it's been fun combining beer searching with travel. She's taken a liking to Pliny and just questioned my decision to trade my last 6 bottles. Oh dang :slight_smile:

Rodosman likes this.
  40. SmashPants

SmashPants Meyvn (1,132) Jun 24, 2012 Australia

I used to drink a bit too much, but it was predominantly cheap lagers. Since I have found craft beer and put the same money into fewer, better-quality beers and am a bit more passionate about it, she is quite supportive.

Ilovelampandbeer likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.