How important is social media with bottle shops to you?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by Dan_K, Jan 18, 2016.

?

How important is your bottle shops social media presence to you?

1. Very Important

107 vote(s)
    51.2%
  2. Somewhat Important

58 vote(s)
    27.8%
  3. Not at all important

44 vote(s)
    21.1%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dan_K

Dan_K Zealot (515) Nov 8, 2013 Colorado
    Trader

In town there are probably 50+ liquor stores (bottle shops, package stores, etc). However for the craft beer lover you can easily pare the list down to 10 good stores, and 3 great stores. Some of them have an active social media presence, posting the new arrivals on facebook, highlighting beer tastings, or advertising sales. Some of them do this multiple times a week, some of them once or twice a month, some of them are even less frequent.

I feel that it's pretty important to me, it keeps your rabid craft beer fanbase connected to you. It keeps them coming in. And more importantly, it keeps a lot of great beer flying off the shelves. How about you, what do you think about it? A lot is done through facebook, but I do know some places use Twitter or Instagram as well.

2. jhavs

jhavs Poo-Bah (2,053) Apr 16, 2015 New York
    Society Trader

I check their FB page for releases, current growler fills, etc. often. I live in a pretty rural area, not worth the drive to the store without checking if they have what I am looking for.

I put Very Important for your poll.

3. Jmorey

Jmorey Initiate (0) Feb 10, 2015 Michigan

Swear this was just asked.

Social media is a must have. My favorite stores here post up what they got in that day. Some photos some text based. Essential for me to see and decide if I want to go this week. (I don't go every week) because I know I can get a few new items and then stock up on favorites. Sometimes I am waiting for a specific beer to drop and this is easier than calling.

I prefer Facebook. But one store does both and I am subscribed to them on Twitter so it alerts me when they tweet.

4. njcraftguy

njcraftguy Zealot (547) Apr 6, 2015 New Jersey

Very important to me as some of the shops are a fair drive for me so the ones that don't update their lists or have a presence at all lose my business quickly.

5. benjamminjones24

benjamminjones24 Initiate (0) Jan 15, 2016 Colorado

I check the Facebook page of 4 to 5 local stores on a regular basis. Super helpful when it comes to those special releases!

6. Invinciblejets

Invinciblejets Devotee (477) Sep 29, 2014 South Carolina

Very important for me...I'm fairly far away from my store and like knowing when new stuff gets in so I don't have to drive up there to find out it hasn't or whatever.

foundersfan1 likes this.
  7. c64person

c64person Initiate (0) Mar 20, 2010 Michigan

I despise most social media.

It's a great way for a bottle shop or brewery to not have to update a website, but if you only announce your bottle releases, or force people to comment to reserve bottles on a FB page that requires an account to view, I will just find another bottle shop or brewery to spend my money with.

I don't mind twitter as much, as I don't have to have a login to view the information being presented.

Then again, I am just a grumpy old man. Damn kids won't get off my lawn.

8. beerluvr

beerluvr Meyvn (1,232) Jan 2, 2001 Canada (ON)
    Trader

Not at all. I was able to find them way before "social media" was a thing and still can.

5thOhio, cavedave and TongoRad like this.
  9. Brolo75

Brolo75 Initiate (0) Aug 10, 2013 California
    Deactivated

Check social media but don't rely on it.

foundersfan1 and 4truth like this.
  10. MNAle

MNAle Poo-Bah (2,412) Sep 6, 2011 Minnesota
    Society

Much more important to me is a web site with a reasonably up to date list of inventory, ala France 44 in Mpls. But, then, I don't need instant notice since I don't drop everything and chase trucks.

5thOhio likes this.
  11. Scott17Taylor

Scott17Taylor Poo-Bah (1,843) Oct 28, 2013 Iowa
    Society Trader

I like them to have it so I can check for new beers. If a shop is good I'll stop in anyway.

foundersfan1 and oldn00b like this.
  12. Angerhaus

Angerhaus Crusader (736) Oct 1, 2015 Rhode Island
    Trader

I can take it or leave it. I like the places I like because of the people, and they like me well enough to set aside a lot of releases for me. I can imagine paying attention to social media presence if i were to move and need to start building those relationships again.

5thOhio and foundersfan1 like this.
  13. besch64

besch64 Initiate (79) Mar 16, 2013 New York

There should be a poll option for "F*cking Mandatory." In absence of that, I said "Very Important." Half of my trips to my local bottle shops are spurred on by social media posts detailing what just recently arrived. I think brewers, retailers, and bars NEED to be active in social media to provide the best experience to beer drinkers. I want to know what's going on!

14. Beef_Curtains

Beef_Curtains Initiate (0) Oct 14, 2013 Ohio

I prefer bottle shops that post their new arrivals and events online, so I can easily find out if they got what I'm looking for. Usually it's a facebook post since that's simpler than updating a website.

foundersfan1 and Invinciblejets like this.
  15. TonyLema1

TonyLema1 Poo-Bah (1,932) Nov 19, 2008 South Carolina
    Society

I'm anti-Social Media, I don't do Facebook, Instagram, etc...but I am on some bottle shop and brewery mailing lists...

Dando274, 5thOhio, drtth and 4 others like this.
  16. tillmac62

tillmac62 Poo-Bah (1,830) Oct 2, 2013 South Carolina
    Society

I voted not at all since I have a 100 mile round trip for great beer. My biggest desire is an up to date online inventory.

17. ArsMoriendiOU818

ArsMoriendiOU818 Zealot (559) Nov 5, 2013 Virginia
    Society

90% of the time I am shopping at store's where I can find out what they have or just received. I'm not wasting my time hoping to find something I want at a largely mediocre store, when there are people letting me know what they actually have.

18. PrestigeWorldwide

PrestigeWorldwide Defender (634) Sep 22, 2015 Michigan
    Trader

It's important to me, but not for the reasons one might think. It's kind of a blessing and a curse.

Some bottle shops around me will post stuff to social media. Often they are out of said beer before I can even get there. But it gives me a barometer of what was just distributed in the area. So then I can go to other shops and pick up the same brews.

Really it just helps my "situational awareness".

foundersfan1 and Jmorey like this.
  19. Ipaupaweallpa

Ipaupaweallpa Initiate (0) Dec 26, 2014 Alabama

Yes! Very. I don't even have a Facebook (this and untappd are my facebook) , but I can check my shop in GA and my shop in FL online, and they put pictures daily of what comes in. Unfortunately, my local shop dosent so I end up calling him every few days and Probobly annoy the Crap out of him. However I will use the other two out of state shops to navigate when stuff from CA has reached the east coast, and usually is pretty accurate that it gets here a few days later. Beer finders for Sierra and Stone have made it very convenient too.

foundersfan1 likes this.
  20. boilermakerbrew

boilermakerbrew Initiate (0) Aug 13, 2010 Indiana

No matter what the store's strategy, they're not going to appease all. That being said, I really like The Wine and Cheese Place's strategy here in St. Louis. They have a free loyalty club and do limited releases through it. They also have a blog where they announce new products and are very responsive on Twitter and Instagram with posting and interacting with customers.

foundersfan1 and HopsAreDaMan like this.
  21. carlso_aw

carlso_aw Aspirant (232) Jan 10, 2016 Indiana
    Trader

Absolutely - I check Facebook and twitter fairly often to make sure I'm in the loop for upcoming releases and specials. The manager of my favorite beer shop even runs his own email distribution list to make sure we know when something special is happening.

22. oldn00b

oldn00b Savant (904) Feb 23, 2015 Virginia

I like seeing new beers pop up so to know something is hitting distro in the area it's a huge help or Very Important. I don't like it when there's a post at like 1PM of "LIMITED BEER!" then "edited 1:05PM SOLD OUT!". I don't want to devolve into beer entitlement but the post can be a double edged sword in that case. Some shops do a great job of using social media posts as a point of sale (i.e. comment "save me one please" and they hold you one, or they'll say "call in to reserve/pay"). It's annoying as a regular though when I've been asking in person and calling in about beerx with "I don't know" as the response, then there's a FB post, no holds/pay over phone, and it's gone immediately (as in the time it takes to drive there). I don't really get the point of that - if the point of the fb post is to say "look at this awesome beer we had had for 5 minutes- go us!" then it's not at all important and I'd rather not see it.

tl;dr To me it's all about how a place uses their social media presence.

23. dbrauneis

dbrauneis Poo-Bah (10,261) Dec 8, 2007 North Carolina
    Moderator Society Trader

Moderately important - I like to know when new things are hitting the stores in my area and I love knowing the draft list (either social media or BeerMenus) but I like to go into the shop and just browse.

24. mccorvey

mccorvey Initiate (0) Dec 3, 2013 North Carolina

It's no really that important to me to be honest. I wish they would post updates of their growler stations taps, though.

25. mrcraft

mrcraft Poo-Bah (2,111) Dec 15, 2012 California
    Society Trader

Not so much for me lately. I don't hunt for beers like I once did. I just randomly visit my usual beer shops these days, and get pleasantly surprised from time to time.

26. apollokim

apollokim Initiate (108) May 31, 2007 Massachusetts

I don't understand why more places don't use beermenus. I'm a kitchen+bar so our list isn't anywhere near as extensive as a bottle shop but it's so easy to use. I find it helpful that I can delete something once it kicks. Nothing worse than driving to a packy because you saw an amazing picture of new releases on the facebook only to get there and the bottles you wanted are sold out.

jssf likes this.
  27. CJNAPS

CJNAPS Initiate (0) Nov 3, 2013 California

Posting on social media is one of the most important ways to keep us craft beer heads knowing what you have.

WeymouthMike and Dan_K like this.
  28. PatrickCT

PatrickCT Poo-Bah (2,319) Feb 18, 2015 Connecticut
    Society

I love shopping for beer and browsing the bottle selection even when I am not necessarily buying much. However, I don't like driving around when I am looking for something specific or there is a new release. If anyone here is familair with the Metro area traffic, especially in Connecticut, they will understand why. So social media updates are nice. Being on good terms with a few package store owners? Even better.

Mikexw likes this.
  29. DrumKid003

DrumKid003 Initiate (0) Aug 10, 2013 Oklahoma

I voted no, but that's because I don't have a Facebook, Twitter, or Instagram account.

jj139, 5thOhio and c64person like this.
  30. dennis3951

dennis3951 Initiate (0) Mar 6, 2008 New Jersey

For retail stores not at all. Bars are a different story. I always check social-media for tap lists.

31. Franziskaner

Franziskaner Poo-Bah (5,316) May 27, 2005 Missouri
    Society Trader

Twitter helps me learn about new limited releases that I did not know I needed until I saw them.

Dan_K likes this.
  32. Beerdsley419

Beerdsley419 Initiate (0) Dec 25, 2015 Ohio

I'm new to the craft beer scene (been off the macro stuff for a long time, but new to seeking out new beers etc etc) and there are at least 2 shops I visit now solely because of their presence on Facebook getting my attention.

33. MistaRyte

MistaRyte Defender (687) Jan 14, 2008 Virginia
    Trader

I'm for it. Beats having to make an appearance every week if you're informed.

34. gatornation

gatornation Poo-Bah (11,716) Apr 18, 2007 Florida
    Society Trader

I have 4- 5 stores i check that are current and post about new releases and new items, so i check those b4 i head home from work, some stores are on social media but do not update the tweets in a timely mannner.

35. RichD

RichD Champion (812) Mar 18, 2012 Rhode Island
    Trader

There aren't many great store in Rhode Island, but I do follow some stores on social media. It helps when they actively post what they've gotten in the delivery or what's in the vintage room.

I still make it a point to visit these store pretty frequently, but I'd stop in regardless if they posted it on social media.

36. Neptunez77

Neptunez77 Initiate (0) Jul 11, 2014 Minnesota
    Deactivated

I work in a store, and it's pretty amazing how effective announcing beers over facebook is. If we announce something like Surly Darkness came in, within a half hour of that post it's gone. I see it as an invaluable tool, and I wish our boss did more announcements. Clients are more reliant on it than ever.

TheNightwatchman and Dan_K like this.
  37. FriedSlug

FriedSlug Poo-Bah (2,606) Feb 20, 2012 North Carolina
    Society

Made up accounts for both Twitter and FB since everything is social media these days. Since my local shops post both to Twitter and FB I have a notification set up on Twitter so that I get a text when they post. Gives me a nice notification when new stuff comes in.

38. Dragginballs76

Dragginballs76 Poo-Bah (2,573) Nov 13, 2015 South Carolina
    Society Trader

There are only 2 shops where I live and sometimes my main store may only get a case of a certain beer so i check their Facebook page daily to see what is coming in and what is on tap.

39. MostlyNorwegian

MostlyNorwegian Initiate (0) Feb 5, 2013 Illinois

I'm in my local shop enough that I don't bother.

40. rgordon

rgordon Meyvn (1,285) Apr 26, 2012 North Carolina

Business social media is only as good as the needed constant attention to keep everything updated. It is time consuming and takes an employee from other duties. Most retail establishments cannot afford a full time media person. As far as I'm concerned, the only thing that Facebook is worth, is free business advertising. A platform for self promotion (Facebook) is comical and scary.....to me, that's a bad combo.

drtth likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.