How is COVID-19 impacting your beer advocacy?

Discussion in 'COVID-19' started by elNopalero, Mar 3, 2020.

1. elNopalero

elNopalero Poo-Bah (3,638) Oct 14, 2009 Texas
    Society Trader

I assume many of you have already been bombarded with news about the COVID-19 virus. And yet here I am adding to that!

Certainly, it's been on my mind. I find myself in a position where I am cautious and careful, but also increasingly concerned. Although it is still in the early stages it is apparent that it will spread throughout the United States.

For those international BAdvocates, especially in Italy or China, how has it impacted your enjoyment of this hobby?

Will those of you who enjoy visiting breweries and beer bars find yourself staying home instead?

I have an upcoming trip, and I was looking forward to some beer-cationing along with work. Unfortunately, my trip destination is in an area that's seen a sudden spike in COVID cases!

hottenot, tomhoboken, Premo88 and 3 others like this.
  2. Mister_Faucher

Mister_Faucher Savant (978) Dec 3, 2014 Washington
    Trader

I live about 5 miles north of the west coast epicenter for this outbreak and went to one of my favorite local bottleshops IN Kirkland (said epicenter) this last weekend because I'm not going to live my life in fear. The local media is really pushing the fear mongering too, so I quit watching the morning news.

3. Scrapss

Scrapss Defender (668) Nov 15, 2008 Pennsylvania

Get fresh keg.
    Wipe all keg surfaces down with anti-viral/anti-bac wipes.
    Install keg in kegorator.
    Don't go out otherwise unless I have to (j/k Don't believe the hype)

4. Beer_Stan

Beer_Stan Initiate (153) Mar 15, 2014 California
    Industry Trader

I never got any of these illnesses that always seem to pop up(Bird flu, swine flu, SARS, blue waffle, etc) and I'm in one of the most traveled to locations on the west coast. So for me, business as usual. :wink:

5. beergoot

beergoot Poo-Bah (5,565) Oct 11, 2010 Colorado
    Society Trader

Only my demise will curb my beer advocacy.

Otherwise, I subscribe to the age-old practice of beer ingestion prophylactics to keep the nasties at bay...

6. beertunes

beertunes Poo-Bah (7,019) Sep 24, 2007 Liechtenstein
    Society Trader

Not at all.

7. QuakeAttack

QuakeAttack Zealot (535) Mar 19, 2012 California

No change. I did try to use it as an excuse to buy more beer for home, but my wife wasn't buying it.

8. officerbill

officerbill Disciple (374) Feb 9, 2019 New York
    Trader

Beers aren't as flavorful filtered through a mask:grin:

Gemini6, Alefflicted, KRug and 18 others like this.
  9. Shanex

Shanex Poo-Bah (1,517) Dec 10, 2015 France
    Moderator Society Trader

I’m pretty tired of the 24/7 news coverage about it, it won’t change a thing about my beer consumption.

Since our nanny state of a govt is advising us to wash our hands, cough in our elbow and generally avoid crowd, I’ll comply.

Last summer during a heatwave we were also advised to drink water and stay in the shadows...

10. keithmurray

keithmurray Meyvn (1,361) Oct 7, 2009 Connecticut

Not in the least

11. AZBeerDude72

AZBeerDude72 Poo-Bah (1,936) Jun 10, 2016 Arizona
    Society Trader

Won't impact my beer habits. This like many bugs before are more hype than fact. Use common sense like you would with any other disease and you will be fine. The news loves to hype things and this bug is just another example of stirring the pot.
    Enjoy your beers and live life.

Alefflicted, hottenot, Junior and 6 others like this.
  12. rbowser

rbowser Aspirant (223) Sep 10, 2005 New Hampshire
    Trader

I was thinking of purchasing some higher alcohol beer in order to use it as an antiseptic as needed.

13. AdmiralOzone

AdmiralOzone Poo-Bah (1,987) Jun 26, 2014 Minnesota
    Society Trader

Now just shy of two months from retiring and looking forward to joining some of the morning drinking BA's I'm not gonna let this change my way of life.

I also have plenty of strong beer in my basement just in case.

Alefflicted, 2_Beardz, NJM and 17 others like this.
  14. DVMin98

DVMin98 Poo-Bah (3,219) Nov 1, 2010 North Carolina
    Moderator Society Trader

I will only drink Pacifico from now on when eating Mexican food. Problem solved

Gemini6, Alefflicted, KRug and 19 others like this.
  15. nc41

nc41 Poo-Bah (2,359) Sep 25, 2008 North Carolina
    Society Trader

I just got over the flu, and the flu can be a spectacular killer. Most healthy people get sick for 10 days to 2 weeks they’re better. First time in my life I’ve had the flu, and strep throat was far worse. Be vigilant but live your life.

16. Amendm

Amendm Defender (675) Jun 7, 2018 Rhode Island
    Society

No, I will still continue the advocate beer.

jonb5, Gemini6, Alefflicted and 8 others like this.
  17. rgordon

rgordon Meyvn (1,038) Apr 26, 2012 North Carolina

Hmm. I have been washing my hands and face for years, get flu shots yearly, rarely get sick at all. and have really never panicked in close to 70 years.. This is a regimen I swear by. I have no distance travel plans currently and usually stock up on beer anyway. Regular flu is something that folks seem to take for granted and I think that's weird. Bugs are everywhere ya'll.

18. Snowcrash000

Snowcrash000 Poo-Bah (2,628) Oct 4, 2017 Germany
    Moderator Society Trader

While I do think that this whole thing is just ridiculous fear-mongering, just like with all the other virus infections before it, coming down with a major flu during a time like this sure isn't fun. I'm over the worst of it now, but I can't remember the last time I was this sick with flu-like symptons.

Still can't smell anything, hopefully my sense of smell will return to normal after I completely get over the infection. Apparently this can turn out to be a permanent state though, which is really starting to freak me out badly right now...

Jsteez, jonb5, hottenot and 8 others like this.
  19. jesskidden

jesskidden Poo-Bah (1,970) Aug 10, 2005 New Jersey
    Society Trader

Well, it looks as if it means around 10% of all BA threads will be about the topic.

KRug, dennis3951, hottenot and 10 others like this.
  20. sportscrazed2

sportscrazed2 Devotee (444) Mar 29, 2010 Indiana
    Trader

I'll drink more Corona

henrikb, hottenot, russpowell and 7 others like this.
  21. PapaGoose03

PapaGoose03 Poo-Bah (2,636) May 30, 2005 Michigan
    Society

My wife and I decided today to move our European vacation that involved London, Paris, Munich, Venice, Florence, and Rome to September. It's the Venice part that caused that decision, but who knows which country I next? Hopefuly summer will stop the threat.

Gemini6, henrikb, hottenot and 9 others like this.
  22. Buck89

Buck89 Poo-Bah (3,137) Feb 7, 2015 Tennessee
    Society Trader

Drinking beer greatly reduces my awareness of illness.

Seriously, just wash your hands with soap for 20 sec (this really makes a difference), avoid touching your face, avoid shaking hands (for a while), and avoid visibly sick people. Things might change later, but no impact for me right now.

Gemini6, KRug, hottenot and 5 others like this.
  23. thedaveofbeer

thedaveofbeer Aspirant (222) Mar 25, 2016 Massachusetts
    Trader

I am praying some hero scientist will find that hops have some chemical compounds that destroy the virus. I am going to up my intake, just in case. I have always liked being an early adopter.

Alefflicted, bmugan, KRug and 10 others like this.
  24. AZBeerDude72

AZBeerDude72 Poo-Bah (1,936) Jun 10, 2016 Arizona
    Society Trader

25. bbtkd

bbtkd Poo-Bah (5,404) Sep 20, 2015 South Dakota
    Society Trader

I have enough beer in my cellar to last several months. I'm set.

26. Bitterbill

Bitterbill Poo-Bah (7,078) Sep 14, 2002 Wyoming
    Society Trader

I just got over a cold. I drank beer during that time and though the flavours were diminished during that time, I percerviered.

I will continue to do so. Shrugs.

hottenot, russpowell, Shanex and 4 others like this.
  27. PapaGoose03

PapaGoose03 Poo-Bah (2,636) May 30, 2005 Michigan
    Society

Nice thought, but can you imagine what would happen to the price of beer? Better stock up now.

Gemini6, KRug, hottenot and 4 others like this.
  28. AWA

AWA Aspirant (296) Jul 22, 2014 California

I went to Costco and stocked up on beer yesterday. I got a 4 week supply, and, knowing myself, that means I really got a 2 week supply and I'm going to be drinking too much over these next 2 weeks. Of course, I figured out that Costco is a complete shit show right now, and there is no way in hell I'm going back anytime soon. So in 2 weeks I'm going to have to go out to Bevmo and overpay to stock my fridge again. I'm resenting the hell out of the corona virus right now.

29. nc41

nc41 Poo-Bah (2,359) Sep 25, 2008 North Carolina
    Society Trader

I drowned the bastard bugs in Wild Turkey, I’ve found a cure.

hottenot, Squire, Peach63 and 9 others like this.
  30. Oceanbear1

Oceanbear1 Initiate (124) Aug 8, 2013 Colorado

Wife and I just took a weekend trip to Vermont/Massachusetts. I bought a lot of beer to take home. I joked it Was in case of quarantine.

31. Giantspace

Giantspace Crusader (780) Dec 22, 2011 Pennsylvania

Been sick on and off all winter. Only drinking Friday/Saturday right now. Might just cut that down a bit more honestly. Want my body feeling a bit better with this crazy bug crawling around. I also work with the masses so pretty sure I’m going to get bit.

Enjoy

hottenot, russpowell, Scrapss and 2 others like this.
  32. jvgoor3786

jvgoor3786 Poo-Bah (1,778) May 28, 2015 Arkansas
    Society Trader

My wife was headed to Columbus this weekend for the Arnold Classic. They cancelled it because of the virus. She was going to bring me back beers from Ohio. No more. This just got real.

hottenot, GreenBayBA, KRug and 8 others like this.
  33. TinFang

TinFang Zealot (560) Jun 20, 2011 California
    Society

Zero effect. We will go to Alabama next month and France in July.
    If we get quarantined in AL I will eat lots of barbecue and hang out at the lake. If we get quarantined in France I will drink lots of bière de garde.

The virus is already circulating. Stay healthy and relaxed.

34. Benish

Benish Meyvn (1,129) Mar 13, 2013 Wisconsin
    Trader

As a health care provider, I agree with others when they say there is a lot of fear mongering going on. Those over 80 years of age are at greatest risk. And majority of the population will experience this as the ‘common cold.” Just like the influenza, if you develop alarming symptoms, see your healthcare provider. Maybe cut back on the beer when you’re sick. But once you’re through it, drink up!

I will be in CA in a few weeks, enjoying beers and sunshine. The coronavirus is not stopping me.

35. mamaraza

mamaraza Disciple (333) Jul 6, 2014 Texas

All I need is my shotgun and seven cases of Live Oak Hefe. Just kidding. I also need shells.

hottenot, Alefflicted, Squire and 6 others like this.
  36. Insomniac

Insomniac Initiate (28) Nov 5, 2019

At present it has yet to influence my behaviour in the slightest. I’ve been in airports and traveled since this started. I am concerned, however, with what this is doing to the global economy. When the numbers come out over the next few months, I believe the contraction will be shocking.

37. HorseheadsHophead

HorseheadsHophead Poo-Bah (2,076) Sep 15, 2014 New York
    Society

38. HopBelT

HopBelT Poo-Bah (1,594) Mar 18, 2014 Belgium
    Society Trader

Since beer is making me happy, why should this have an effect on my drinking behaviour???

hottenot, GreenBayBA and russpowell like this.
  39. Brewday

Brewday Initiate (153) Dec 25, 2015 New York

Bshaw22 and russpowell like this.
  40. FatBoyGotSwagger

FatBoyGotSwagger Meyvn (1,461) Apr 4, 2009 Pennsylvania

I like how all you guys joke about a disease that will leave you in a coma on a ventilator. Fuck that more for you.

aasher and hottenot like this.