How is COVID-19 impacting your beer advocacy?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by elNopalero, Mar 3, 2020.

1. Longhorn08

Longhorn08 Aspirant (283) Feb 4, 2014 Texas
    Trader

I buy more vodka right now.

2. Urk1127

Urk1127 Poo-Bah (2,083) Jul 2, 2014 Pennsylvania
    Society Trader

I am drinking beer from what I know I like. Everyone is on a super budget right now. So I stick to reliability and consistency. I do not tick anymore. I will try new beers occasionally but that’s it

3. bret27

bret27 Poo-Bah (2,013) Mar 10, 2009 California
    Society Trader

In general my consumption, buying local, & trading all went way up.

mickyge likes this.
  4. Ceddd99

Ceddd99 Initiate (174) May 14, 2018 Michigan
    Trader

Same thing happened here, my local Meijer completely eliminated its singles section and replaced it with shelf space for hard seltzer.

dcotom likes this.
  5. guzzleacoldone

guzzleacoldone Devotee (496) Feb 3, 2007 Ohio

Curious about what the supply looks like in your local bottle shop.

For the shop I would consider the best around my area it's bleak. I walked out for the first time ever without making a purchase. Nothing worth buying. Shelves were pretty picked over. A couple of other places I visit were about 80% shelf space with some decent selection but the majority was from Ohio breweries with some from MI and KY. Nothing wrong with that on it's face but I like to try some regional/national. The grocery store seems to be holding up ok considering what they normally carry. Probably have better supply chain.

Junior likes this.
  6. elNopalero

elNopalero Poo-Bah (4,711) Oct 14, 2009 California
    Society Trader

A little over six months since the start of this thread, and it feels like there’s no end in sight here. I consider myself fortunate in that I still have a job, a place to live, and my health. Friends and family who have been hit by COVID have all recovered, thankfully. In March I thought optimistically that I would still get to travel this summer. Now, I am expecting to stay put through the end of the year and springtime, at the earliest.

I no longer go “on the hunt,” and with one exception haven’t been to a speciality shop since things shut down. I do appreciate the option we have to order by mail, at least in California, and I’ve made a habit of picking up some things to go from my favorite beer bar when I am in the area.

I miss the social aspects that come with this hobby, whether it’s out and about or with friends at home. On the flip side, I think my usage of this site has increased exponentially!

BMBCLT, cavedave, skiking70 and 5 others like this.
  7. BillAfromSoCal

BillAfromSoCal Zealot (573) Aug 24, 2020 California

Here in No. Orange County in SoCal I have been to a couple of the large liquor store chains and there were a couple bare spots on shelves but certainly not anything too depressing. I like to pickup singles of several kinds instead of six or four packs, and I was sad to see Bell's Kalamazoo stout or Expedition stout and a different brewer's King Sue double IPA absent from the singles, but I made do with some substitutes. Oddly enough, a couple of the best NA beers are not easy to find; they sell out fast.

ChicagoJ likes this.
  8. cavedave

cavedave Poo-Bah (3,105) Mar 12, 2009 New York
    Society Trader

There were 16,000 deaths from COVID in this country when I posted this in April.

Bears all of us taking a look at ourselves through all this, at what we've done, and what we've believed, over this period of time that has led to todays death count of

239,000 dead

and hospitalizations at an all time high. The problem now is the same as identified 7 months ago, bullshit. And the problem with bullshit still is it's bullshit.

Here's to hoping our favorite beer establishments of all kinds weather this storm, and we are back to normal soon. Cheers!

9. skiking70

skiking70 Aspirant (262) Sep 23, 2014 Maryland
    Trader

I am like most people on here, I don't browse anymore to see what is available/new. I have visited one local shop, that specializes in IPA's. I am in and out in under 5 minutes, as they do a good job of listing new beers on Untappd. I have a membership with the Bruery and I spend the majority of my beer budget on their beers. I do miss chasing and trading, but until things look better I will stay with my current strategy.

10. msscott1973

msscott1973 Devotee (478) Dec 28, 2013 North Carolina

I don't remember if I responded to this thread, but my main thing is making sure I tip the beer store well, even though their taps and onsite consumption is closed, since their revenue is solely reliant on to-go sales.

11. HouseofWortship

HouseofWortship Meyvn (1,393) May 3, 2016 Illinois
    Society Trader

I don’t wish any breweries ill will, but at some point, aren’t the breweries that remain open to the public for In person consumption basically contributing to the problem and essentially putting themselves out of business by contributing to the pandemic?

12. WillemHC

WillemHC Initiate (154) Jun 21, 2013 Utah

At least here in Utah, we seem to have a good number of people that just don't really care about the risk of the disease (even as we are in crisis mode now). For those folks, they go to breweries and would be upset if breweries closed. That said, I'm not convinced every brewery is contributing to the problem in a meaningful way. If you have a lot of space and have your space/ordering system designed so that people truly are adequately distanced and/or mostly outside and wearing masks when necessary, then probably you aren't contributing much. In an ideal world, we would have extremely well funded public health departments, and through contact tracing and other means we would be able to determine the establishments contributing to excess spread, and they would be forced to either close or make significant changes.

13. traction

traction Devotee (466) Dec 4, 2010 Georgia
    Trader

The latest government model I saw from a few days ago predicted 400,000+ dead by the end of the year. Some people still don't understand the severity of this situation.

Thanksgiving is essentially a guaranteed super-spreader event. The CDC is suggesting whole Thanksgiving outside this year as a safety precaution.

14. tasterschoice62

tasterschoice62 Poo-Bah (2,654) May 14, 2014 Rhode Island
    Society Trader

What I see around here is still the divisiveness of this. Half the people I am in contact with believe it and the other think its bullshit. And most I meet that believe its bullshit are influeneced by political beliefs. I have worked in a place since this started where they didnt adhere to the guidelines in the portion of the business not visible to the public. (That establishment just closed because someone in the kitchen tested.positive) Most of what I see that is visible people are adhering to the basic guidelines. What they do beyond that who knows. This for me personally has thrown my career into a total whirlwind of doubt of what the future holds. I am in hospitality and its being destroyed. Meanwhile they are trucking in temporary morgues in Texas......Just as they did in April in NY.

15. HouseofWortship

Society Trader

Infection rates are sky rocketing. What percent of people do you think care and what percent do you think aren't worried and don't follow CDC guidelines? Now let's break that percentage down into an amount of customers in an actual brewery. How many bad actors does it take to spread the virus? I would wager just one and that's just the bad actors, not the careless folks or the well meaning who spread it.

JHDStein, BMBCLT and tasterschoice62 like this.
  16. traction

traction Devotee (466) Dec 4, 2010 Georgia
    Trader

US hits record COVID-19 hospitalizations amid virus surge

https://apnews.com/article/doctors-better-equipped-virus-surge-743c0448c3ada001d327d73a6f2ed9d7

This article from today is worth reading. Keep in mind deaths can lag a couple weeks after diagnosis. These next few months are going to be messy.

The worst part? A competent response by the government would have saved many lives. At this point I am not even sure it is containable in the United States and it will become endemic.

#736 traction, Nov 11, 2020
    Last edited: Nov 11, 2020
    AlcahueteJ, JHDStein, eppCOS and 4 others like this.
  17. cavedave

Society Trader

The forces at work in this American disaster will be studied by both health care experts and psychologists from many angles and for many years.

pudgym29, mikeinportc, DIM and 14 others like this.
  18. Prep8611

Prep8611 Disciple (300) Aug 22, 2014 New Jersey

This is all about the great reset. We are being controlled.

19. Buck89

Buck89 Poo-Bah (3,221) Feb 7, 2015 Tennessee
    Society Trader

So many parallels to the 1918 pandemic it's eerie and depressing.

Don't worry about available beds. Worry about available health care workers to staff the units. The next two months could be dark.

20. cavedave

Society Trader

Am quite worried about NY returning to what it was when we were the epicenter. I live north of the city three hours, and all I read about locally is how the citiots who lived through the worst of it are buying second homes, or moving into situations, up here. I picture this wave being worse, Just as I'm finally getting back into occasional beer drinking, too.

I guess my answer to this thread is I am not going into a beer establishment until this wave is over (under 1.5% positive locally from random testing). Gonna finish drinking down the cellar until then.

Scrapss, mikeinportc, eppCOS and 4 others like this.
  21. jakecattleco

jakecattleco Poo-Bah (2,849) Sep 3, 2008 California
    Society Trader

ND is so short, their governor 'green lighted' letting asymptomatic Covid-positive nurses continue working. Only with Covid patients, but that's a frightening situation. Hopefully one we don't see out of necessity in other states.

AlcahueteJ likes this.
  22. jakecattleco

jakecattleco Poo-Bah (2,849) Sep 3, 2008 California
    Society Trader

What I've read about that is frightening! I'd encourage everyone to educate themselves on it, media sure doesn't seem overly interested in covering it (outside of the piece in Time).

23. elNopalero

elNopalero Poo-Bah (4,711) Oct 14, 2009 California
    Society Trader

I'm struggling to comprehend with the scale of devastation and death caused by COVID. I keep thinking of the nearly quarter of a million people in the United States alone who have died, and I just can't understand how anyone still thinks this is a hoax or fake news.

24. ManBearPat

ManBearPat Zealot (543) Dec 2, 2014 Colorado

it can certainly be true but also a plan by the oligarchs to take back more power- its not mutually exclusive.

the good folks (:wink:) at the WEF have literally said something to the effect of ‘we cannot waste a crisis like this’ ... quite chilling if ya ask me

25. Providence

Providence Champion (822) Feb 24, 2010 Rhode Island
    Trader

I am tipping bigger than ever before at restaurants and take out places. These folks are hurting. It's the least I can do to help. I also voted for someone who thinks the virus is real. Figured that might help out too.

draheim, AlcahueteJ, JHDStein and 3 others like this.
  26. Prep8611

27. jonphisher

jonphisher Meyvn (1,462) Aug 9, 2015 New Jersey
    Society Trader

People are just so quick to judge one another these days and that is the worst thing for me. I see blaming and shaming every time these discussions come up. I'm afraid to even post this because of how someone will interpret what I just said and think I believe this or that. We're all complicated beings...I feel like we forget this sometimes.

28. HouseofWortship

Society Trader

FBarber likes this.
  29. Prep8611

So I don’t make assumptions... what are you inferring to?

30. JHDStein

JHDStein Initiate (89) Aug 16, 2013 Germany

Always nice to see a "fair and balanced" view on a common sense idea from Fox... From what I can tell, the idea of a "Great Reset" is to learn from the problems that created this situation and use this opportunity to address them. For example:
    • Provide health care for people, so they don't avoid going to the doctor, getting tested, getting treatment, etc... because of cost. This helps stop the spread of dangerous diseases (not just Covid...).
    • Pay workers a living wage and provide labor protections so they are less vulnerable to massive shifts in the economy.
    • Address climate change realities that make these sort of animal-to-human mutations more likely.
    Fox can tart this up as "abandoning modern capitalism" to scare people, but it's simply adjusting to reality. Capitalism will be just fine. I fail to see how this is "controlling" anyone.

31. cavedave

Society Trader

This pandemic has given us a chance to see to the real base of the debate.

Is health care a right or a privilege?

How much do we have a right to be safe from other people's medical decisions and necessities?

And the more nuanced- Is it assault if you infect me with a disease that is untreated? Does society have the right to tell insurance companies/medical corporations they cannot compete in some way(s), and cannot get to a size to control the entire market (free market single payer)?

32. HouseofWortship

Society Trader

Maybe you should read outside of Fox News and look into Great Resets.

FBarber and bubseymour like this.
  33. stairway2heavn

stairway2heavn Initiate (134) Aug 17, 2017 New Jersey

I think people get frustrated because it seems like one group has embraced conspiracy theories and the other side actual science. In that mix seems to be people who are in positions of power who for political reasons (saving their own skin, "saving" the economy by actually torpedoing it) are embracing anti science views and costing lives, and jobs. So now I see Monk's closing for the next few months. Winter is coming, and I think even established places like Monk's will be lucky to come out the other side, and that's not taking into account THEIR EMPLOYEES ARE ASKING FOR PERSONAL DONATIONS. We're a profoundly broken country. I've tried to tip well and almost entirely buy from breweries or bars, as liquor stores are fine (though normally I'd probably get at least half my purchases in a store).

Ultimately blaming the illuminati and black helicopters and bill gates for the virus, or response, and refusing to follow even a semblance of proper practices is harming so many people. Worse those in power are not organizing a coherent response. Why does Notre Dame have thousands of fans around to charge the field in the first place? Why did the president undermine experts? Political expediency, greed, narcissism, the list goes on...
    We can all make choices about where we eat or drink, but that's leaving a lot of people dead or out of work, disproportionately non white females and the elderly.
    So, yeah, it's kind of tiring listen to nonsense about masks trapping CO2 and killing you, or that there's a secret cabal running things trying to kill my favorite bars. It's called rich people and Republicans especially can't or don't care. That's really not new. Hopefully Georgia goes a different way then I expect... With a subsequent big bar and restaurant bailout for owners and workers that can be in a multi trillion dollar relief package, so Monk's and others can stay closed, keep their workers and customers and community safer for it, but not go bankrupt or have to run a go fund me.

I mean, comon Florida.
    https://www.miamiherald.com/news/coronavirus/article247081417.html

34. HouseofWortship

Society Trader

eppCOS and jakecattleco like this.
  35. Giantspace

Giantspace Meyvn (1,031) Dec 22, 2011 Pennsylvania

Honestly does not surprise me. I jokingly called 30 million US deaths before the zombies arrived as I left work the day we closed down in March. This number won’t surprise me if we get there in the next 4 months. Sounds crazy but approaching multiple million cases a week multiplied exponentially over the winter with no care system to support will be a horror movie come to life. There will still be doubters and folks who continue to claim it’s their right to do as they please. By the time Biden is in office it might be too late for anything but a full on shut down to get this controlled.

Im stocking up on beer that will keep for months as well as booze and food.

Hope to see you all on the other side.

Enjoy and Stay safe

36. Prep8611

Lol ok dude

37. cavedave

Society Trader

I'm a bit of fatalist, and I assume the people in this country aren't smart enough to save themselves. Here's why. I worked in a sealed-environment-room requiring protection back in the day, making extra money to buy our house. In my room we measured and cut raw treated sheets to bond computer board. The air had fiberglass, epoxy, and other chemical dust. We wore respirators because it was not safe to breathe the air. One guy refused to wear a mask. We constantly cleaned up from surfaces the fine dust that was in the air. We KNEW there was dust in the air. This guy didn't wear a mask. No one cared, no skin off our backs, but what an idiot, we all thought. It is this that makes me realize there are some people in this country too stupid to act to save themselves, probably lots of them, expecting them to do it to save others is wishful thinking, extreme edition.

I'm prepped for four months.

38. ManBearPat

ManBearPat Zealot (543) Dec 2, 2014 Colorado

Agreed. Didn’t Time have an article about this?

Im incredibly far from any sort of tin foil hat, but its hard for me to see some of these things and not acknowledge that there’s some type of power grab happening.. the degree to which it manifests itself is obviously yet to be seen.

nuplastikk, bubseymour and Prep8611 like this.
  39. Prep8611

I’m well stocked on food, ammo, and beer.

40. rgordon

rgordon Meyvn (1,305) Apr 26, 2012 North Carolina

We had an election recently and this issue was topic one. And all of this is still bullshit. A dumbass acquaintance of mine swears it's a Chinese virus done intentionally, that massive voter fraud determined that election and that the moon is made of a melding of Edam and Brie. And I once thought he was one of the smarter ones that emigrated here from Buffalo years ago....